Do you support or oppose Bush on the S-CHIP program?

Craig 2007/08/24 16:08:11
The State Children Health Insurance Program helps millions of children whose parents are unable to afford health insurance on their own. Bush has said he's worried that the private insurance companies are losing business and that the program should be severely curtailed, even though millions of children will become uninsured.

Is Bush out of touch with reality, or are "rich" families taking advantage of the system?

• Modena Bobena's Mommy 2007/11/02 11:22:27
    I oppose the President's position.
    Modena Bobena's Mommy
    "Bush has said he's worried that the private insurance companies are losing business "

I'd be curious to know how many friends, family and campaign contributors are making money off health insurance industry.

I'd also like to know how many people who are making 80 thousand a year will really drop their current health insurance to live off the government. Do you really know any people making that kind of money who would do that? I make much less than that and woudln't.

His premise is just ridiculous.
  • ducdodger 2007/11/01 16:46:38
    I oppose the President's position.
    ducdodger
    Every state has medicare for the kids the problem is who's gonna poay for this. Answer everyone thats who. I'm alresdy taxed to the max and I don't think that my hard earned money sould got the lame and lazy. If you can work then you should weather its at MacDonald or a gas station. I'm sick and tired of the government giving my money that I work my butt off for to the lame and lazy!
  • Gone! 2007/10/31 05:46:26
  • JimBob 2007/09/02 14:48:01 (edited)
    I oppose the President's position.
    JimBob
    +1
    Everyone, for the most part, agrees that the government should mandate and provide schooling for children. What's so different about health care? It is so incomprehensible to me, people who send their children to public schools ranting about how health care for kids is creeping Socialism and all this nonsense. Get real, people! You can't have it both ways!
    p.s. And how would you feel if Mr. Bush suggested that public schools be run by private corporations that contributed to political campaigns and made zillions in profits off taxpayers every year?
  • kellley 2007/08/24 22:03:29 (edited)
    kellley
    I oppose cutting it because I feel that kids deserve insurance and have that right to be healthy. There is a but though, when they decided to continue it, they added more people to it. I don't want to pay for an adult age 25 whom can afford insurance, this also includes families that make plenty of money would to be covered. Do you know how they want to get hter extra $? Tax cigar and ciggerrete smokers. Why not tax alchohol. Look up this info on the cigar dave site, it might still be up on his site. But my issue really lies with me paying for a college kid or a familiy that can afford it. I never liten to this show but it caught my attention.

see the link as far as the tax goes:
    Los Angeles, July 18 – Lew Rothman, the head of J.R. Cigars posted:

Everyone and I mean everyone that even smokes a cigar now and then has to be on alert for messages from all [bricks & mortar] smoke shops AND Internet vendors AND Manufacturers in the next few days regarding the proposed new tax on tobacco products:

“The Senate Finance Committee has scheduled a markup on Tuesday, July 17 on legislation dealing with the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The measure is expected to be reported out of committee. Funding would be almost totally via higher taxes on tobacco products. ...

see the link as far as the tax goes:

“The Senate Finance Committee has scheduled a markup on Tuesday, July 17 on legislation dealing with the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The measure is expected to be reported out of committee. Funding would be almost totally via higher taxes on tobacco products. The cigarette tax will increase by $.61 to $1 per pack effective after December 31, 2007. Other tobacco products would be taxed as follows: large cigars – 53.13% of mfr's or importer's sales price but not more than $10.00 per cigar.”

In addition, there will be a floor stocks tax on tobacco products manufactured in the U.S. or imported into the U.S. which are removed before January 1, 2008 and held on that date for sale. The person holding the product on January 1, 2008 is liable for the tax to be paid on or before April 1, 2008.

YES! You read that right! $10.00 PER CIGAR, plus whatever your local state tax is. The people in Washington have absolutely no clue about the cigar business. Their sole focus is on cigarettes and we are about to get dragged along with it.

Not only will this put virtually every manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer out of business, it will also devastate the economy of Nicaragua, Honduras, The Dominican Republic and have a significant impact on Puerto Rico, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Panama, Brasil, and Peru. (Whereupon, I’m sure the USA will be called upon to provide additional relief funding!).

You and everyone else who has any thoughts about continuing to smoke cigars or grow, sort, manufacture, distribute or retail cigars need to make a concerted phone, mail, and e-mail bombardment of Congress very shortly. Hopefully, someone more adept at interpreting this new tax law will supply the proper language for this protest.

Be ready and be vocal, and be outraged because this tax is definitely outrageous. It is my firm belief that if passed as it stands right now the entire industry will collapse prior to April 1, 2008 (appropriately named April Fools Day for the Fools we have running the government right now) because no one will have the finances to pay the tax on their inventory.

This has been widely followed up by messages from retailers of all types. We found one of the best summaries of the facts to be provided by the Cigar Association of America as follows:

• “The proposed taxes in the current Senate Finance Committee proposal to fund expansion of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) solely through higher tobacco taxes will have a draconian impact on the cigar industry. Indeed, it is the biggest threat to the industry since President Clinton’s proposal in the early 1990s to fund universal health care on the back of the tobacco industry.

• “Under the current proposal, the large cigar tax rate would increase 156.4% (from 20.719% to 53.13% of the manufacturer’s selling price) and the current tax cap of around $0.05 per cigar would increase an astounding 20,413% to $10 per cigar – essentially making the cap irrelevant. All large cigars would effectively be taxed at 53.13% of the manufacturer’s selling price. In all of the Internal Revenue Code, no other product is subject to an excise tax that approaches this level. The little cigar tax would increase 2,635% – to $1,828 per 1,000 from $50 per 1,000. To compound the injury, a floor stocks tax would be assessed on all products in inventory.

• “The Finance Committee is scheduled to mark up the measure [Tuesday night]. We anticipate no changes being made in the revenue provisions. The full Senate is expected to consider the legislation next week, but possibly sooner. We need you to act now and immediately contact your U.S. Senators as well as Senators in those states in which you may have a plant, distribution facility, or sales personnel . . .

• “A consumer should only contact his own Senators because Senators are most responsive to their own constituents.”

Click here for a contact list of U.S. Senators with telephone numbers and electronic mail addresses. Every call counts, because almost all elected officials will open a new file on a matter if they receive 10 or more contacts of any kind from within their jurisdiction.

To underscore the severity of this issue, the Senate voted 59-40 on March 23 in agreement with a resolution (S. Admt. 510 to S. Con. Res. 21) to “provide for the consideration of an increase in the tobacco products user fee rate, but only to the extent that such rate increase does not result in an increase of more than 61 cents per pack of cigarettes, with all revenue generated by such increase dedicated to the reauthorization and expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program.”

The raise to $10 per cigar comes from an obviously unknowing Senate draftsman who is attempting to “equate” the proposed 61-cent increase on a pack of cigarettes to cigars and has created a monster.

The stakes are enormous not just for smokers, but also for the tens of thousands of people who own or work in retail shops, work in or around the cigar industry and are part of the growing and processing of tobacco and making of cigars.

Call, write or e-mail now-now-now!
  • Craig 2007/08/24 16:09:59
    I oppose the President's position.
    Craig
    Bush has no idea how hard it is to afford private health insurance. We should cover all kids with health insurance and forget about the profits of the private insurers.

2014/11/21 20:44:47