Do you support eliminating property taxes for low-income seniors?

BlueRepublican 2012/09/22 18:21:23

Politicians are always talking about protecting seniors. They will promess almost anything for a vote. But where do they stand where it counts, in your wallet?

Many seniors on fixed income/pension are struggling right now. They have been hit hard by inflation and rising food/energy prices.

Many of them worked hard to pay off their homes and contribute all their working life to Social Security. So how do we reward them?

They are taxed higher at tax time because they no longer qualify for the EIC (Earned Income Credit) and have to pay taxes on their Social Security check.

On top of this, they have to pay property taxes every year regardless of their economic situation and whether they own the house or not.

Wait a minute Blue! Shouldn't the govt treat everyone equally?

In a perfect society, I would say yes. Everyone should be treated the same and pay the same for services. But as long as we have an entire section of the electorate unfairly taxed and neglected, these issues must be addressed.

Let me know what you think. Vote now, leave a comment, reply, share with all your friends and Rave!!!

BlueRepublican Tax Series :-)

cain

• Dwight PWCM 2012/09/22 18:33:01
    YES
    Dwight PWCM
    +9
    These people have worked all their lives to make and contribute something, they diserve a break.

• bettyboop 2012/09/30 17:14:49
    YES
    bettyboop
    Its the right thing
  • Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/26 18:21:06
    YES
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    Interest rates are down, and this also kills the senior's income streams. Many depended on the interest income of bonds, CDs and savings accounts and that has been decimated.

Seniors that own property in upper value areas get hit hard. I'm not talking about the country club set, I'm talking about the little old lady that owns a modest home in Santa Fe where Hollywood yahoos have moved in and brought the entire market out of the affordability range.

Add to that the fact that the government is screwing with Medicare, insurance rates are climbing (Medicare supplement policies), and we're about to see 'necessariliy sky rocketing electricity costs' as Obama's EPA kills the coal industry, and ya. Seniors are indeed getting the shaft.

I'd have no problem whatsoever with lower income seniors getting a significant break or altogether wiping out their property taxes.

Question to the author of the blog:

How do seniors that don't own property end up paying property tax? Perhaps your state is more onerous on the personal property items than mine?
  • BlueRep... Purple ... 2012/09/30 18:49:55
    BlueRepublican
    In the Show-Me state, there are property taxes on everything from your home, land, livestock, vehicle, boat, etc...
  • lucky 2012/09/25 15:16:38
    NO
    lucky
    Just because someone is elderly does not mean they contributed to society their whole lives, I know of at least two who inherited their homes and worked less than 3 years in their whole lives so why should those people get a break off the backs of other people?
  • rightside 2012/09/24 19:51:00
    rightside
    +1
    What I would support more is something like California did (one good thing) which was Proposition 13. You pay taxes on your house only for what you paid for it. It can never be raised.
    Many folks bought their homes for maybe 50K and the assessor comes in and says its now worth 250K and you should pay those taxes. That's more than their original house payment.
    Most folks were forced to sell their homes.
    When you are over 65 and retired, you shouldn't have to pay full price on taxes.
  • getu 2012/09/24 16:29:00
    YES
    getu
    +1
    Some states discount senior taxes now. Missouri, for example gives an exemption to seniors (our exemption was $500) that eliminates or lowers property taxes to an insignificant level.

It was explained to me that a major portion of our taxes contribute to the school systems' funds, and the discount is linked to that.

By the time most have reached retirement age, even with no children, homeowners have contributed for several years beyond when they are likely to have children in school.
    ...Seems fair.
  • Cat 2012/09/24 06:00:18
    YES
    Cat
    +1
    Even for middle income seniors who no longer can work.
  • seadog6608PWCM 2012/09/24 01:40:18
  • Contarded Guru Chickenhawk 2012/09/24 00:44:19
  • BlueRep... Contard... 2012/09/24 18:37:00
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    I'm gonna hafta think about that one Hawk :-)
  • Contard... BlueRep... 2012/09/24 18:39:40
  • BlueRep... Contard... 2012/09/24 19:00:26
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    I kinda like the idea Hawk. We could have some period of property taxes on a property and then it decreases every year until it is ultimately paid and property tax free.
    We're still gonna hafta make an exception for low-income seniors though.
    They've paid enough already.
    -BR
  • Contard... BlueRep... 2012/09/24 19:20:58
  • BlueRep... Contard... 2012/09/24 21:42:55
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    We're gonna need more than a blog for that, hahaha, LOL!!
  • texasred 2012/09/23 21:52:00
    YES
    texasred
    +2
    That's one thing I could agree with. But no scammers!!
  • Kim 2012/09/23 19:58:00
    YES
    Kim
    +2
    They have paid enough
  • dave b 2012/09/23 15:34:25
    YES
    dave b
    +2
    Because at some point, you've paid enough taxes.
  • Adam 2012/09/23 14:01:53
    YES
    Adam
    +3
    I support eliminating all property tax.
  • Grandpa 2012/09/23 13:55:50
    Grandpa
    Only for seniors whose homes are of average value for thier area >>> Nothing in the 110,000 dollar class at city assest value
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/09/23 13:53:18
    YES
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    I think they have paid their dues for long enough.
    Problem with that is some would take advantage of that situation by trying to make money off of it by buying and selling homes and not having to pay property taxes on them, flippin homes and corrupting the system.
    Remember bernie madoff is a senior citizen, and there are many out ther like him so special rules would need to be put in place like one home option, and residency of at least 5 years in that home.
    People who are legit should be given a break, but people who are in it to fool the system should be kept out!
  • matt 2012/09/23 09:15:41
    YES
    matt
    +1
    I remember a story about this woman that was over 100 years old.. at one time she owned a farm with over 100 acres and could have passed this down to her children when she passed. Problem is because of taxes she has had to sell all but a few acres to pay for them. Now her and her husbands hard work to get something for themselves and their children has all gone to the government. It's sad, I would like to think that if I buy a house that my children can have it when I die. That perhaps they can have a better life because they don't need to buy a house too.
  • Trader1 is kerbonkin' 2012/09/23 09:08:02
    NO
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    Hate to say it because I know a lot of seniors are struggling, but those taxes go for services for the community, the majority of which seniors benefit from.
  • jimmy Trader1... 2012/09/23 12:55:23
    jimmy
    +1
    OK name me a few.
  • Trader1... jimmy 2012/09/23 16:25:17
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    Roads, police, fire, upkeep of parks and public places to name a few. We all benefit from those services, the elderly included.
  • dave b Trader1... 2012/09/23 18:25:26
    dave b
    +1
    Leave the low income seniors alone. They've paid more than their 'fair share' over the years. Its too hard for them to come up with extra money for the government to piss away on their agenda's.
  • texasred dave b 2012/09/23 21:52:47
    texasred
    +1
    And "piss away" are the operative word!!
  • Trader1... dave b 2012/09/24 02:32:07
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    Hey, don't come down on me like I'm walking into little old ladies houses and wresting their last dime from them. I would love to let them off without paying property taxes. But first, who defines low income? And how does the community make up the difference? And how do you explain to the rest of the elderly why they aren't getting special treatment? And the rest of the low-income population?

It's easy to say, "yea, let's do it" without considering the consquences.
  • dave b Trader1... 2012/09/24 13:01:08
    dave b
    Who do you think defines low income? The damn government does, and its the government who will never have enough money to blow.
    Things need to change, and soon!
  • Trader1... dave b 2012/09/24 15:21:52
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    And we all trust the government so much, don't we? The same government who redefined poverty to mean if you don't have as much as your neighbor, you must be poverty-stricken.
  • jimmy Trader1... 2012/09/27 13:41:22
    jimmy
    Are you a senior citizen living on fix income and have to watch every penny they spend. Why should seniors have to pay for schools when they don't even have children attending those schools. I live in a very rural area where most of roads are not paved and have alot senior citizens living here. Every year the local newspaper prints the names of people who have not payed there property taxes. Its two pages long well over thousand people and the majority of them are the elder.
  • Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/09/23 09:04:02
    YES
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +4
    For all people. We dont need them. We need to cut government to a manageable size, and cut all taxes.
  • BlueRep... Dan ☮ R... 2012/09/23 18:16:56
    BlueRepublican
    +3
    Thanks Dan, glad to hear from ya' :-)
  • dave b Dan ☮ R... 2012/09/23 18:26:38
    dave b
    +3
    Exactly. These politicians think we work for them, and that needs to be corrected sooner than later.
  • ZenerSix 2012/09/23 05:56:35
    YES
    ZenerSix
    +1
    For everyone.
  • John Hall 2012/09/23 05:44:33
    NO
    John Hall
    You own a home you should have to pay property taxes I don't care if your elderly or not . That property tax pays for your local services .
  • dave b John Hall 2012/09/23 18:30:51
    dave b
    They would have plenty of money for all of that if they didnt waste so much to begin with. The government from the top fed position all the way down to the local level is the reason we have the monetary problems that we have today.
    It isnt our fault.
  • John Hall dave b 2012/09/23 21:09:28
    John Hall
    They do waist alot of money I came off as non caring to the elderly and that's my bad . In Knoxville , Tn if you own property and your elderly you have a fixed rate with no more increases and that's how it should be .
  • Dub 2012/09/23 05:07:04
    NO
    Dub
    Oops I ment to click yes, I support eliminating all taxes and instead have a flat 20% tax and nothing more.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/09/23 04:30:08
  • Tpem 2012/09/23 04:13:28
    YES
    Tpem
    +2
    If they do not have kids in school they should not have to pay

2014/07/23 16:20:31