Do you stand WITH or AGAINST Israel?

Drue-AFCL 2012/08/03 19:35:50
Related Topics: Israel

• irish Squatch 2012/08/04 20:40:37
    irish
    con·tem·po·rar·y (kn-tmp-rr)
    adj.
    1. Belonging to the same period of time:

not after the time,at the same time,get it?
    "Not a single writer before the 4th century – not Justin, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Cyprian, Arnobius, etc. – in all their defences against pagan hostility, makes a single reference to Josephus’ wondrous words."
    It was the around the year 53 AD that Josephus decided to investigate the sects among the Jews. According to the gospel fable this was the period of explosive growth for the Christian faith: " the churches ... throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria ... were edified... and ... were multiplied." – Acts 9:31.

This is also the time of the so-called "Council of Jerusalem" when supposedly Paul regaled the brothers with tales of "miracles and wonders" among the gentiles (Acts 15.12).

And yet Josephus knows nothing of all this:

"When I was sixteen years old, I decided to get experience with the various sects that are among us. These are three: as we have said many times, the first, that of the Pharisees, the second that of the Saduccees, the third, that of the Essenes. For I thought that in this way I would choose best, if I carefully examined them all. Therefore, submitting myself to strict training, I passed through the three groups." ...

con·tem·po·rar·y (kn-tmp-rr)
    adj.

"When I was sixteen years old, I decided to get experience with the various sects that are among us. These are three: as we have said many times, the first, that of the Pharisees, the second that of the Saduccees, the third, that of the Essenes. For I thought that in this way I would choose best, if I carefully examined them all. Therefore, submitting myself to strict training, I passed through the three groups." – Life, 2.

In fact, the Josephus paragraph about Jesus does not appear until the beginning of the fourth century, at the time of Constantine.

wow,and yet the egyptian religion lasted for over 3000 yrs based on imaginary gods. yet you call them pagans and false gods and say their gods were imaginary. gee,contradict yourself much?
  • Squatch irish 2012/08/04 20:42:37
    Squatch
    +1
    Yeah the problem is that the people who were his contemporaries are in religious writings from either Jews or early Christians which you assume are false
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/04 20:45:37
    irish
    wrong again. you didn't read what i posted .

Josephus's two major tomes are History of The Jewish War and The Antiquities of the Jews. In these complementary works, the former written in the 70s, the latter in the 90s AD, Josephus mentions every noted personage of Palestine and describes every important event which occurred there during the first seventy years of the Christian era.

There is no way that Josephus, who remained an orthodox Jew all his life and defended Judaism vociferously against Greek critics, would have thought that the execution of a messianic claimant was "another terrible misfortune" for the Jews. This is the hand of a Christian writer who himself considered the death of Jesus to be a Jewish tragedy (fitting in with his own notions of a stiff-necked race, rejected by God because they themselves had rejected the Son of God).
  • Squatch irish 2012/08/04 20:47:43
    Squatch
    OK
  • historian irish 2012/08/05 17:02:06 (edited)
    historian
    Jesus was crucified by the Jews, despite the Roman authorities finding him not guilty. As an orthodox Jew, defending Judaism, he would have been more inclined to do as the other Jewish authorities did, attempt to erase the threat to their power that Jesus represented from history along with his followers. If you don't believe any of it happened though, I guess the point is moot.
  • irish historian 2012/08/05 19:00:44
    irish
    yes it is moot. there were no jews at that time. they were different sects,pharisees,sanhedrin,sam... he wasn't defending any of the hebrew beliefs,according to the stories,he was leading in a new direction.
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/04 20:29:42
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Again wrong Josephus (the actual spelling) was no a contemporary and his account is a fraud
  • Squatch Headhun... 2012/08/04 20:39:33
    Squatch
    I just Googled about 10 separate accounts of Jesus other than the Bible from scholars who had no relation to each other and probably did not even speak the same language - I am not going to bother listing them since your answers tend to be short and pointless
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/04 21:02:12
    irish
    "[T]here is not a single contemporary historical mention of Jesus, not by Romans or by Jews, not by believers or by unbelievers, not during his entire lifetime. This does not disprove his existence, but it certainly casts great doubt on the historicity of a man who was supposedly widely known to have made a great impact on the world. Someone should have noticed." - Dan Barker

The Gospel story, with its figure of Jesus of Nazareth, cannot be found before the Gospels. In Christian writings earlier than Mark, including almost all of the New Testament epistles, as well as in many writings from the second century, the object of Christian faith is never spoken of as a human man who had recently lived, taught, performed miracles, suffered and died at the hands of human authorities, or rose from a tomb outside Jerusalem. There is no sign in the epistles of Mary or Joseph, Judas or John the Baptist, no birth story, teaching or appointment of apostles by Jesus, no mention of holy places or sites of Jesus’ career, not even the hill of Calvary or the empty tomb. This silence is so pervasive and so perplexing that attempted explanations for it have proven inadequate. - Earl Doherty, The Jesus Puzzle
  • Squatch irish 2012/08/04 21:12:30
    Squatch
    OK - I understand but lack of proof in your eyes is not disproof to me in this case - it is funny how much effort people go through to disprove something they do not believe in - makes me wonder what is in it for you or if there is a higher power at work - just not the one we are talking about - you can never disprove that he existed - the fact that the modern world has turned into one of scientific jargon and court room proof is a fairly recent development in history. In antiquity some tribes like the Hopi did not even write - so I guess they never existed either

You are such a hypocrite though - I bet you firmly believe in in evolution - name one contemporary according to your definition that has actually seen something evolve or any definitive proof that it did - but you readily accept what scientists say happened a billion years ago

No arguing with people like you - you are blind to your own hypocrisy

In a hundred years we will know for sure
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/04 22:31:01 (edited)
    irish
    we have proven this myth is a myth. hypocrite?? hardly. each new generation is a step up in evolution. evolution is a gradual process. each new recomination of genes is evolution in progress.
    evolution takes time. at least we have logic and science on our side. not superstitions. and ignorance.
  • Squatch irish 2012/08/04 22:44:54
    Squatch
    but where is the contemporary to prove it - surely you are not taking the word of scholars - and written records have been around for 5000 years and nothing in the historical record - come on - surely you can do better than that
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/04 22:47:06 (edited)
    irish
    do you have parents? children,grandparents?? stop being so obtuse. you demean yourself.
  • Squatch irish 2012/08/04 23:22:29 (edited)
    Squatch
    Right - your argument is just as stupid to me and your a level 20 - now I see how - a bunch of thoughtless posts
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/05 12:45:49
    irish
    +1
    thoughtless? wow if they are thoughtless your thinking level is nil isn't it?lol
  • observer Squatch 2012/08/04 23:04:19
    observer
    "No arguing with people like you - you are blind to your own hypocrisy"

This individual is NOT blind. Blindness is not present in this individual's hateful agenda.
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/04 21:03:14
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Because you cannot is why you are not listing them. There are zero provable contemporary documents to jesus. No one ever wrote about him while he lived if he did. Thta is what comtamporary means. Scholars are not comtenmporaries and have no direct eveidence that he lived or did what they say. They anyalze it from hearsay writting and accounts.

The reason my answer to you are short sis that theyb requierenothing more becuaes you are full of caca and have no proof or evidence or anyting to suppprt your claims
  • Squatch Headhun... 2012/08/04 21:20:44
    Squatch
    Just google it - I am tired of wasting my time on you
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/05 12:47:01
    irish
    +2
    lol thats your proof? hearsay??LOL
  • Squatch irish 2012/08/05 13:57:50
    Squatch
    +2
    I love how the homo / atheist crowd hi-jacks a question - this post is about the USA standing with Israel which 75% if not more of Americans think we should do
    Even if we are all delusional as you claim - it still does not change the fact
    Again - a level 20 should know better
    But I have always found your kind a bit irrational
  • Squatch Squatch 2012/08/05 13:58:13
    Squatch
    Oh yeah - on my way to church
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/05 14:09:12
    irish
    +2
    pathetic.
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/05 14:18:11
    Headhunter 13
    I see you are heading out to practices your superstition. Got your lucky rabbits foot too.
  • irish Squatch 2012/08/05 14:08:40
    irish
    +2
    hijacked? LOL LOL hardly . those 75% are are out of how many polled?? 1000?? LOL
    wow. you keep harping on the level,jealous much?
    it shows your pettiness and tiny mind.
    irrational???? you display it with every reply. logic and reason are beyond you.
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/05 14:18:16
    Headhunter 13
    Another dumb and childish response.
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/05 13:58:11 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Yeah I seen that commercial where they can only post true things on the internet. I saw were a Victoria Secrets model wants to sleep with you
  • historian irish 2012/08/05 16:51:09 (edited)
    historian
    The United States government are excellent record keepers too, but it doesn't mean you'll ever see certain documentation of some events, and that's in the age of information. I know your position, but I couldn't help but point out that attempting to discredit Christianity and the writings of it based on outside sources that are naturally hostile to that system when you of all people know full well the extent secular government and world power brokers have over information is a bit stretched. Just looking at the account of the Jews demanding to crucify Jesus shows that there was some influence in the Roman Empire by them, or else their demands would have been ignored since Jesus wasn't guilty of any crime under Roman law. I'd also like to point out that the activities of Christians would have likely fell under the label of Jews of the time.
  • irish historian 2012/08/05 19:02:14
    irish
    but there were no jews at that time. as for chritians,more myths my friend. they actually tried to get the romans to kill them so they could be called martyrs.the romans refused and told them to go kill themselves.LOL
  • historian Headhun... 2012/08/05 16:40:11
    historian
    The Romans handed him over to the Jewish mob that insisted on crucifying him. The law found him innocent, the mob(democracy) insisted on killing him anyway.
  • Headhun... historian 2012/08/05 20:29:10 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    ROFLMAO. You don't even know the history of your religions or our culture do you. Jews could not by law execute anyone for any reason. Only Romans could. Then crucifixion was only for certain crimes against the state of Rome such as treason and armed rebellion. Please get some education and learn some real history and facts before you come back to make a bigger ass of yourself
  • Zippcodey Headhun... 2012/08/06 16:57:07
    Zippcodey
    The birth given name was Immanuel, and the name given at birth has nothing to do with salvation, only the name he inherited from the Father, Yahweh. Yahweh is the name of the true Messiah, not Jesus Christ or any other.
  • The polite zombie 2012/08/03 19:36:55
    With
    The polite zombie
    +5
    I believe it's a good country filled with good people.
  • Headhunter 13 2012/08/03 19:36:49
    Against
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    As well as the rest of the Middle East. I am tired of their silly religious wars and hate
  • Squatch Headhun... 2012/08/03 19:39:51 (edited)
    Squatch
    +3
    Can be tough to put up with sometimes. I can certainly understand your POV although I chose the other response
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/03 19:41:58
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Why Israel has never really proven to be a friend and it gets us nothing. They attacked one of our ships and killed and wounded marines and sailors and regularly spy on us and steal intelligence and then come whining for more money to do it again
  • Squatch Headhun... 2012/08/04 20:46:47
    Squatch
    They are a lot better than all the rags running around over there who think we are the great Satan - and they would give us a great strategic advantage except we are too scared to use for fear of pissing off all the A-rabs
  • Headhun... Squatch 2012/08/04 21:05:08
    Headhunter 13
    Damn each tme you post to me you really do get dumber.

Here is a good place to start with your redemption. Go to your profile and start with the truth about yourself. I know you never attended any graduate school and probably barely got out of HS.
  • Drue-AFCL 2012/08/03 19:36:29
  • Squatch Drue-AFCL 2012/08/03 19:42:12
    Squatch
    +3
    Great post
  • historian Drue-AFCL 2012/08/04 06:32:24
    historian
    +3
    That quote is often misused. God was talking to Abraham, not the State of Israel, and later the promise is extended to his seed, and in Galatians you'll find that seed, not seeds, is referring to Jesus Christ, and the many from all nations who are in him by faith. I posted some of the verses above. I used to repeat that scripture and make the same claim, but when you study it out, it becomes unmistakable that it has been misused for tradition and politics. Thanks.

2014/04/16 22:19:46