Do you remember the era "When a News Anchor Speaks his Mind?" Walter Cronkite spoke his mind and feelings changing how news is presented today!

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/09 16:03:23
Yes, I remember this great TV news reporter.
No, I hadn't a clue of who he was.
Walter Cronkite "underwent a dramatic change of heart during the Vietnam War-and in doing so, changed the face of Broadcast journalism."

Walter Cronkite reported the news from Vietnam three time during the war. And, one of the most important time was when the 1968 TET OFFENSIVE!

over three years, as he sorted through the conflicting positions and perspectives swirling around the war, he would develop a personal transformation that would deeply change American's understanding of the war.

Yet, at the most critical moments of the war he stepped back and from his news anchor role and spoke his mind and feeling to the American People. this action help shape the public opinion but it also help shape a mew era of rampant editorializing in television news of today.

• Vennie 2012/06/09 16:22:08
    Vennie
    +3
    I remember "Uncle Walter" well. His reports were trusted by millions of Americans, but that was in a time when all of us were way less cynical about the media (and a lot of other things.) I expect it is extremely difficult for a news reporter to remain totally objective, particularly when reporting war news and even more especially when reporting first hand from a war-torn area, seeing military and civilian casualties and suffering on the scale that war generates. Perhaps that's one of the reasons many members of the press have been labeled as "liberal", because they express opinions based on harsh and horrifying experiences and appear to be "anti-war".

• WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/09 22:21:33
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    They don't make them like Uncle Walter anymore.
    +1
    they are just news readers now
  • stevmackey 2012/06/09 22:17:53 (edited)
    stevmackey
    +1
    He was a great reporter that made a lot of enemies. He exposed a lot of people.
  • Stacie 2012/06/09 18:25:14
    Stacie
    +2
    What ever happened to journalists being unbiased?
  • Nameless 2012/06/09 18:17:29
    Nameless
    +1
    Actually, that interview was done years after he retired. I remember when he announced the assassination of JFK. I remember how centrist he was when he delivered the news. He gave us the news without all that OpEd garbage we are now fed via supposed news outlets such as CNN, FOX, and MSNBC. He started giving his opinion after he returned from Viet Nam and told us all that the war was, at best, going to be a stalemate. No one even truly knew how liberal he was until years after that. Walter Cronkite was one of the greats in giving us the news and I miss him, greatly. Radio and television news broadcasters would all be wise to heed Cronkite's complete professionalism and stop this 24/7 sound bite garbage and need to feel that they have to deliver the news first - no matter how inaccurate it may be. RIP, Mr. Cronkite, and thank you for the privilege of being able to grow up hearing your voice...
    No, I hadn't a clue of who he was.
    +1
    And after the book of the recent past. He was just another Marxist in line with hate of America . His mistresses were second class, nut they were influential.
  • BIG BAD... jackola... 2012/06/09 18:15:17
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    Did now that, tks
  • Nameless jackola... 2012/06/09 18:19:11
    Nameless
    +1
    He loved the United States more than you ever could.
  • Reichstolz 2012/06/09 16:39:51
    Reichstolz
    +1
    He was one of the most biased "reporters" on the airwaves. He is the reason why we now have opinion presented as fact in every broadcast.
  • Vennie 2012/06/09 16:22:08
    Vennie
    +3
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/06/09 16:19:38
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +2
    Oh, sure do. When there was real news and real journalist out there and delivered with honesty and integrity.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/09 16:14:28
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +3
    Yes, I remember Walter Cronkite, he was pro-war Walter was in Vietnam when things got hot and heavy. The Pentagon was playing a numbers game with the facts to show that America was winning the war. Their was a large anti war movement in America. This was the FIRST time that a war was shown on TV Vietnam war Vietnam war Vietnam war

2014/10/21 05:43:19