Do you remember everyone panicking over global cooling in the 1970s?

Simmering Frog 2012/08/07 04:37:48

• Philo-Publius 2012/08/07 10:55:01
    Philo-Publius
    +3
    Yes, I remember talk of this when I was a boy, and, for instance, watching this episode of 'In Search Of' with Leonard Nimoy, which aired in 1978 (I watched in rerun – this was my favorite program back in the 80s). A snippet from the video below:

“Climate experts believe the next ice age is on its way. According to recent evidence, it could come sooner than anyone had expected. At weather stations in the far north, temperatures have been dropping for thirty years. Sea coasts long free of summer ice are now blocked year-round. According to some climatologists, within a lifetime, we might be living in the next ice age.”

• Jorge Enriquez 2012/09/05 19:25:29
    Jorge Enriquez
    nope....
  • DuncanONeil 2012/08/09 01:32:53
    DuncanONeil
    YES!!
  • Ashley<3Sierra 2012/08/08 14:35:44
    Ashley<3Sierra
    No. I was born in 1996.
  • ACE 2012/08/08 02:46:40
    ACE
    i do
  • Catch224u 2012/08/08 00:07:51
    Catch224u
    YES, most of the SodaHeads don't remember that!
  • SunnyOne 2012/08/07 23:50:21
    SunnyOne
    No, but I remember people panicking about the energy crisis, and odd/even gas rationing (if your car's license plate number ended in an odd number, you could buy gas only on odd days, etc).
  • EDWARD G 2012/08/07 23:19:42
    EDWARD G
    I was around but I don' t remember any panic. The panic I remember was Jimmy Carter
  • Adam W 2012/08/07 20:56:50
    Adam W
    No, I wasn't around back then.
  • DJL 2012/08/07 20:08:08
    DJL
    I remember 38 below zero and snow drifts up to the second story roof on our barn.
    Yes, I remember a Time cover with a polar bear on it and the article inside was about the coming ice age. That was 1974 I think.
  • Lady Winters 2012/08/07 17:43:34
    Lady Winters
    I wasn't old enough but I do agree that we go through climate cycles. Periods of cooling, periods of warming. I'm curious though, was the media blaming it on something? On the people? Like they do now?
  • MorbidCynic 2012/08/07 16:22:50
    MorbidCynic
    +1
    And the dumbass paranoid and arrogant liberals have been panicking for years over global warming aka climate change.
  • Simmeri... MorbidC... 2012/08/07 17:35:34
    Simmering Frog
    The not so smart ones have been panicking. The smart ones have been using it to control others through fear.
  • Outta' Here. 2012/08/07 14:00:03
    Outta' Here.
    Yep. Sure do.
  • dwight 2012/08/07 13:52:28
    dwight
    it wasn't as major as it is today.
  • DJL dwight 2012/08/07 20:04:44
    DJL
    Yes it was but they couldn't make money by blaming people for it.
  • dwight DJL 2012/08/20 14:58:53
    dwight
    yeah
  • JanHopkins 2012/08/07 13:50:37
    JanHopkins
    +1
    Sure do. I lived through some mighty fine blizzards. I'm looking forward to having a few more before I croak.
  • Moonage 2012/08/07 13:14:53
    Moonage
    Very much so. The oncoming ice age was going to destroy crops and lead to larger, more dangerous, hurricanes. They had ALL kinds of evidence to support that theory too.
  • Tori 2012/08/07 12:41:59
    Tori
    I do remember that but I also remember that even then credible scientists and climate organizations were far more concerned about global warming which would result in world wide climate change.
  • Philo-Publius 2012/08/07 10:55:01
    Philo-Publius
    +3

• Simmeri... Philo-P... 2012/08/07 22:08:51
    Simmering Frog
    +1
    Dude, that's awesome! Thanks for that!
  • Kirino 2012/08/07 08:59:57 (edited)
  • Simmeri... Kirino 2012/08/07 09:08:37 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    That's not true! My teachers were talking about it. Everyone was talking about the coming ice age. Don't tell me what I did and did not hear.

"The media were the only ones talking about global cooling......."

Really?????
  • Kirino Simmeri... 2012/08/07 17:19:14
  • Simmeri... Kirino 2012/08/07 22:10:35
    Simmering Frog
    That's about the cheapest comment I've ever seen on Sodahead.
  • Kirino Simmeri... 2012/08/08 02:48:41
  • Brad # ... Kirino 2012/08/07 13:05:13
    Brad # 2486547
    +1
    Not true. Climate scientists were talking about a colder world. I was alive then and I remember it well. I remember the winters of the mid to late 1970s and it was very cold and snowy. Climate works in cycles, cold cycles and warm cycles. The 1930s and 50s were warm, especially the 1930s. The 1940s and '70s were cold and snowy. We have been in a warm cycle for the last 10 to 15 years. The cold cycle will come back. Climate change is natural
  • Kirino Brad # ... 2012/08/07 17:23:20
  • Brad # ... Kirino 2012/08/07 17:46:09
    Brad # 2486547
    Actually I am a meteorologist and I do know the difference between climate and weather, probably a lot more than you do.

Your graph is world temperatures, I was referring to many areas of the U.S. You have missed the point, the point was that climate works in cycles...hot to cold, cold to hot. Also, while one area may be very hot and dry, you will find another area of the globe colder than normal and wet. Climate is variable and works in cycles. There are cycles within cycles. Some of these cycles may last for just a few years while others may last for thousands of years. Also notice on the graph that temperatures were several degrees colder in the 1800s. This was the last years of the Little Ice Age, which occured from about 1300 to 1880. That was several centuries of colder than normal weather. Again my point is that climate trends can last a long time.
    Perhaps we are in a long term warming trend but it is natural. This planet has been much warmer than it is now. CO2 concentration is now at 394 ppm..during the Cretaceous the CO2 level was almost 1000 ppm and was much warmer.

Climate

The Berriasian epoch showed a cooling trend that had been seen in the last epoch of the Jurassic. There is evidence that snowfalls were common in the higher latitudes and the tropics became wetter ...

Climate

The Berriasian epoch showed a cooling trend that had been seen in the last epoch of the Jurassic. There is evidence that snowfalls were common in the higher latitudes and the tropics became wetter than during the Triassic and Jurassic.[11] Glaciation was however restricted to alpine glaciers on some high-latitude mountains, though seasonal snow may have existed farther south. Rafting by ice of stones into marine environments occurred during much of the Cretaceous but evidence of deposition directly from glaciers is limited to the Early Cretaceous of the Eromanga Basin in southern Australia.[12][13]

After the end of the Berriasian, however, temperatures increased again, and these conditions were almost constant until the end of the period.[11] This trend was due to intense volcanic activity which produced large quantities of carbon dioxide. The production of large quantities of magma, variously attributed to mantle plumes or to extensional tectonics,[14] further pushed sea levels up, so that large areas of the continental crust were covered with shallow seas. The Tethys Sea connecting the tropical oceans east to west also helped in warming the global climate. Warm-adapted plant fossils are known from localities as far north as Alaska and Greenland, while dinosaur fossils have been found within 15 degrees of the Cretaceous south pole.[15]

A very gentle temperature gradient from the equator to the poles meant weaker global winds, contributing to less upwelling and more stagnant oceans than today. This is evidenced by widespread black shale deposition and frequent anoxic events.[16] Sediment cores show that tropical sea surface temperatures may have briefly been as warm as 42 °C (107 °F), 17 °C ( 31 °F) warmer than at present, and that they averaged around 37 °C (99 °F). Meanwhile deep ocean temperatures were as much as 15 to 20 °C (27 to 36 °F) higher than today's.[17][18]
    -The Cretaceous period from Wikipedia

Life was abundant during the Cretaceous. If we see CO2 levels rise to 800 ppm..we will be just fine.

I could go on about temperature data sets not being totally accurate because of the changes in the land surrounding instrument sites, but I am sure it would have very little impact on you.
  • Kirino Brad # ... 2012/08/07 19:43:31
  • Brad # ... Kirino 2012/08/08 12:46:41 (edited)
    Brad # 2486547
    I was specifically talking about land temperatures and thermometers in instrument shelters. Over the decades, weather station locations have been in the same area. Usually on the outskirts of a city. Over the decades, landscapes have changed to more urban, therefore causing it to appear that it is getting warmer. Urban areas tend to hold heat better than the surrounding country side. It's called the Urban Heat Island Effect. If one looks at the temperature record over the years, it appears that the site is getting warmer, but in reality the land surrounding the site has changed.

Satellite data is only 30 years old, very small when it comes to climate data. So when some climatologist says.."it's the worse ever based on satellite data" that does not mean much. Example, satellite data on the arctic sea ice is only about 33 years old. A mere blip in climatological and geological time wouldn't you say?

It is true that I am not a climatologist, however, climatology is a major part of the meteorology curriculum. So..yeah..I know a bit about climatology.

You have no idea when the Dansgaard-Oeschger last took place. The last time it happened was at least 8 to 10,000 years ago, well before the Little Ice Age. The Dansgaard-Oescherger has nothing to do with the Little Ice Age. The LIA was...

You have no idea when the Dansgaard-Oeschger last took place. The last time it happened was at least 8 to 10,000 years ago, well before the Little Ice Age. The Dansgaard-Oescherger has nothing to do with the Little Ice Age. The LIA was caused by increased volcanic eruptions, solar activity and changes in the thermohaline circulation.

"Dansgaard-Oeschger event - one of a series of climate changes during the last glacial period that occurred roughly every few thousand years. In Greenland ice core records, each event consisted of a rapid warming over the span of several decades and was followed by a gradual cooling. D-O events occurred in many other parts of the world, as well."
    -from NOAA

As far as the southern Hemisphere, recent studies have shown that there was a cooling in the southern Hemisphere as well.

"Southern Hemisphere

Since the discovery of the Little Ice Age, there have been doubts about whether it was a global phenomenon or a cold spell restricted to the Northern Hemisphere. In recent years, several scientific works have pointed out the existence of cold spells and climate changes in areas of the Southern Hemisphere and their correlation to the Little Ice Age.

"In Southern Africa, sediment cores retrieved from Lake Malawi show colder conditions between 1570 and 1820, suggesting the Lake Malawi records "further support, and extend, the global expanse of the Little Ice Age."[40]

A novel 3,000-year temperature reconstruction method based on the rate of stalagmite growth in a cold cave in South Africa suggests a cold period from 1500 to 1800 "characterizing the South African Little Ice age."[41]"

South America

Tree-ring data from Patagonia show cold episodes between 1270 and 1380 and from 1520 to 1670, periods contemporary with LIA events in the Northern Hemisphere.[52][53] Eight sediment cores taken from Puyehue Lake have been interpreted as showing a humid period from 1470 to 1700, which the authors describe as a regional marker of LIA onset.[54] A 2009 paper details cooler and wetter conditions in southeastern South America between 1550 and 1800 AD, citing evidence obtained via several proxies and models.[5

-Wikipedia

If the whole planet is warming then that means all areas should be warmer, not just parts of it. So it should have been warmer than normal in the 1940s in the U.S.

Anthropogenic global warming is questionable because of the ideology behind many of the scientists. Many of the scientists are leftists and cherry pick data to get economic support and political support. Anthropogenic warming is a crisis created by leftists to progenerate the demise of the U.S. influence and usher in a one world socialist government.

Yes the world is warming, but there is too much evidence that concludes that it is natural. Why? because the Earth's climate has always changed and it always changing. From the tropical days of the Cretaceous where ice did not exist at the poles to the massive ice ages. From the Middle Bronze Age Cold and Iron Age Cold Epochs to the Roman and Medieval warm periods. It is always changing.

So when I can grow a palm tree in my back yard here in the mid latitudes of the U.S....I still won't worry, why? because it is happened before. Severe heat and drought? it has happened before. Floods and severe storms? All has happened before.

I will leave you with a rare snowstorm in South Africa. Global warming indeed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
  • Kirino Brad # ... 2012/08/08 17:47:19
  • DJL Kirino 2012/08/07 20:15:40
    DJL
    Can't you read a chart? The change was negative in the 30's and 40's It doesn't cross above zero until after 1950.
  • Kirino DJL 2012/08/08 02:53:01
  • morris44 Kirino 2012/08/07 17:23:46
    morris44
    I would love to have some references if you have them. Thanks.
  • Kirino morris44 2012/08/07 17:29:18
  • morris44 Kirino 2012/08/07 17:30:20
    morris44
    ok.
  • Demoness 2012/08/07 07:58:36
    Demoness
    Yes...we were told conflicting things...but I remember being told the world was heading for another ice age...
  • Marcus Clark 2012/08/07 07:12:14
    Marcus Clark
    Yep

2014/09/18 21:46:00