Do you plan to go shopping on Thanksgiving Day?

ABC News Money 2013/11/22 23:05:43
Related Topics: Thanksgiving, Shopping

• vis_viva 2013/11/24 15:42:58
    vis_viva
    HELL no. I'm not going to outright BOYCOTT stores that are going to be open on Thanksgiving Day, but I will avoid them depending what my other options are.

I enjoy Christmas and all, but it (especially the over-commercialized parts) needs to back off and leave Thanksgiving alone.
  • Michael 2013/11/23 02:38:28
    Michael
    Definitely not
  • ..::localeye::.. 2013/11/23 00:11:12
    ..::localeye::..
    no way
  • TasselLady 2013/11/22 23:14:43 (edited)
    TasselLady
    Nope. Plus, I have to work, and then get ready to go to my friend's house. AND, I have to bake a couple of pies to take over. So there won't be any time for shopping.
  • RH 2013/11/22 23:07:09
    RH
    I'll be working. Where I work, there is someone there 24/7/365.
  • vis_viva RH 2013/11/24 16:03:46
    vis_viva
    I used to be in the same boat. How many hours and what shift will you be on? Unless you are working an extra-long shift you can often still fit in a Thanksgiving meal.

I used to work in the Main Control Room of the particle accelerator complex at Fermilab. Thanksgiving (being a weekday and not a weekend) was covered by 3 normal 8 (well 8.5 due to overlap of crews) shifts. If I were working "day" shift my family would have a late (normal dinner-time) and I'd have Thanksgiving with them after shift. If I were working "evening" shift we'd eat Thanksgiving dinner ~2 pm (SLIGHTLY earlier than most people tend to eat) and I'd then go to work. And if I were working "owl shift" I'd go to sleep when I went home and wake up a bit earlier than normal for the meal (and get another nap after).

Fun thing is I'd often I'd have TWO meals that day. The crew I'd be working with would often have a meal together that day too (there was a small kitchen next to the MCR).
  • RH vis_viva 2013/11/24 17:23:38
    RH
    I work 1800 to 0600.

So, I get off at 0600 on Thursday morning and have to be back at work at 1800 hours to work another 12 hour shift.

Typically I don't get to eat with them family as it is set right smack in the middle of the day when they eat and I'm sleeping at that time. Doesn't help that meal is also 2 hours away. So, I just work through it without a "special" meal.

Not a big deal, it is how it is.
  • vis_viva RH 2013/11/25 01:07:40
    vis_viva
    Ah yeah, 12 ours shifts are hard that way. I used to only have to deal with those on the weekends and then only 2/5 of my weekends for most of the time (it was 2/4 for my first couple of years). That meant Thanksgiving was still doable if my family was willing to shift their schedule a little bit.

We worked a 5 crew 5 week rotating shift (so my shift changed almost every week). Owls were 0000-0830 on weekdays (20000 - 0830 on weekends) Days were 0800-1630 (0800-2030 on weekends) and evenings were 1600-0030. We also has a week of "back-up" (day-shift but worked on various projects like committees and training instead of in the MCR) and then days-off scattered throughout account for the "5th" week. I got to eat with my family on day and owl shifts (I'd wake up from owl shift when most people were getting home from work, and go to sleep when they were starting their days) just not on evening shifts. On those shifts, however, I got to spend the day with my daughter when she was little (before she was school-age) so that was nice.

Rotating shift was tough. I started a couple of years after college and I was used to staying up all night doing physics problems so I figured it would be a snap. Hey I got to stay up all night and play with (what was at the time) the worlds most powerful p...

Rotating shift was tough. I started a couple of years after college and I was used to staying up all night doing physics problems so I figured it would be a snap. Hey I got to stay up all night and play with (what was at the time) the worlds most powerful particle accelerator. It was fairly easy to work rotating shifts...for a few years....A typical operator will last 5-10 years before they find something else in the lab (operations was a good starting point in the lab). I did it for 11 (5 as an Operator, and 6 as a crew chief). A handful have done it for YEARS (I have no idea what those guys are made of).

Somehow in all that time, however (with a little creativity and occasional sacrifice of sleep) I was very lucky in that I never had to work an evening shift on Christmas Eve nor a day shift on Christmas morning. I worked many/most of the other holidays. When I finally did, I was very happy to go to a more 9-5 position at the lab.

2014/10/23 05:13:11