DO YOU KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE SONG TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS?

Hula girl - Friends not Followers 2008/12/18 20:01:27
Yes, I knew that History - Thanks for the refresher.
No, I never heard this before...Interesting story.
No, I haven't heard about this - but I don't care either.
None of the Above
From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were
not permitted to practice their faith openly. Someone
during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics.
It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning
plus a hidden meaning known only to members of their church. Each
element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality
which the children could remember.

-The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

-Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testament

-Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.

-The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

-The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

-The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

-Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

-The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

-Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.

-The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

-The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

-The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

So there is your history for today. This knowledge was shared with me and I found it interesting and enlightening and now I know how that strange song became a Christmas Carol...so pass it on i f you wish.'

• driley 2008/12/21 01:44:32
    driley
    +1
    Nice to know sometimes silly songs aren't silly at all.
  • Greatbear100~support our vets 2008/12/19 20:11:20
    Greatbear100~support our vets
    +1
    Thanks for the Information.
  • Lanikai 2008/12/19 14:45:53
    +1
    Thanks for the refresher. My daughter was asking of this last evening, and I missed a few. All i could find on comcast internet was a strange Episcopal/Catholic thesis that did not contain this information.

Nice to know it is not just a silly song. Although, after a trip to the dreaded Walmart last night, and ToysRUs, I had my own version. One 30mg Valium, 2 tabs of Prozac, 3Nexium chewables, 4 shots of vodka, 5 Primo beer chasers, 6 oxycodones, 7 strong maritinis,8 extra strong advils, 9 sets of earplugs, 10 well rolled fatties, 11 more abilify's and 12 bottles of 151.

After two hours of it last night, I was ready to go postal. Walmart at Christmas is a preview of Hell.
  • Hula gi... Lanikai 2008/12/19 20:21:33
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Great song...now you have to gather your friends and put that on Youtube and you will be the new hit...Now, find a way to get paid for that.
  • mac -Holding Fast 2008/12/18 21:06:36
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    Thanks for the info :)
  • TheRevo 2008/12/18 20:21:33
    None of the Above
    TheRevo
    No.

All of those 12 items are common to both Catholics and Anglicans, (in fact all Christians) There is no way tis could have served as a way to pass down distinct Catholic teachings in secrecy.

http://www.snopes.com/holiday...
  • Hula gi... TheRevo 2008/12/18 20:28:03
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Your quoting Snopes again...snopes is already flawed....this story has been passed on for generations and if you knew that it also applies to Christians because it was during the ages of religious persecutions. But since Catholics were the Church of the day and until Martin Luther started the protestants they all had to be repressed. Snopes is anti God and leftist to the max...they don't even check facts...they just post garbage and people like you believe them.
  • Hula gi... TheRevo 2008/12/18 20:30:25
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Snopes is bunk.....
    Catholics and Christians were repressed and had to hide their Faith. This story has been passed down for generations. Do the research yourself.
    Snopes is a leftist group that doesn't even check facts.
  • TheRevo Hula gi... 2008/12/18 21:24:15
    TheRevo
    But you don't rebut the central argument, that song, if it mens what you say, does not contain anything that is disagreed upon by Catholics and Protestants. How can it promote Catholicism against Protestantism when it teaches nothing but what Protestants too believe?

Catholics and Christians repressed? To when and where do you refer?
  • Hula gi... TheRevo 2008/12/18 22:04:55
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    not permitted to practice their faith openly.

Go to England sometime and learn the History of Henry the Eighth and the pope wouldn't allow him to get a divorce so he and his co-hurts changed the course of church history in England. That's how the Church of England all got started. It's also why people started flocking to the New World to get away from the Persecution. It is also why our Constitution clearly stipulates that The Government cannot establish religion and it is our very first amendment.

When you go and see the Abby's and you see where the doors had been locked and in some places the Monks and Nuns inside and burned alive...and you go throughout the UK and you see church after church destroyed during this time and learn their histories as each one is different you will learn for yourself the history the ties to our own history. I have spent a lot of time in the UK and I have studied a lot of this connection and gone to these places and seen the back ground on Henry the Eighth. One of my friends who dated my best friend also is a Beefeater and lives at the Tower of London guarding the Crown Jewels and the halls of armor for Henry the Eighth....their are great stories and this mans twisted ways. Remember, he killed two o...

'

'

When you go and see the Abby's and you see where the doors had been locked and in some places the Monks and Nuns inside and burned alive...and you go throughout the UK and you see church after church destroyed during this time and learn their histories as each one is different you will learn for yourself the history the ties to our own history. I have spent a lot of time in the UK and I have studied a lot of this connection and gone to these places and seen the back ground on Henry the Eighth. One of my friends who dated my best friend also is a Beefeater and lives at the Tower of London guarding the Crown Jewels and the halls of armor for Henry the Eighth....their are great stories and this mans twisted ways. Remember, he killed two of his wives. He and his buddies were mean dudes and in part probably because he was going nuts as he had syphilis. You should see his armor...talk about a man with a complex!

There are a lot of stories of suppression of religion and especially the Catholics during this time.
    It is also part of the fight that lasts to this day in Ireland....that's Generations old.

You know...History is interesting if you get into it....it was one of my favorite studies in school and I'm always reading and watching the History channel.

Here the start of some of it. http://www.historylearningsit...

http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl...
  • TheRevo Hula gi... 2008/12/18 22:11:00
    TheRevo
    I'm not arguing that Catholics were not persecuted in England. You're missing the point entirely.

Everything in your story about that song:
    Jesus
    Two Testaments
    faith, hope, love
    four gospels
    Pentateuch
    6 day genesis
    Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
    Beatitudes
    fruits of the holy spirit
    commandments
    11 loyal disciples
    Apostles creed.

Anglicans that did the persecuting believed in all of these too. how would that song then distinguish between a Catholic and an Anglican?
  • Hula gi... TheRevo 2008/12/18 22:17:13
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    It wasn't about them...it was about them against the others on the outside persecuting Catholics and Christians. Protestants also used this song....

They used it against the outside persecution.

Just like the symbol of the fish has been used or the symbol of the cross...when religion can't be mentioned.

christians protestants song persecution symbol fish symbol cross religion mentioned
  • TheRevo Hula gi... 2008/12/18 22:19:31
    TheRevo
    Persecution by who? Last time Christians were persecuted in Europe would have been, the days of the Roman Empire. Are you saying the song is that old?
  • Hula gi... TheRevo 2008/12/18 22:21:58
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Catholics and the Protestants were persecuted in England. The leaders wanted their money but not their faith.
  • TheRevo Hula gi... 2008/12/18 22:24:16
    TheRevo
    What the eff are you talking about? The English monarchy after 1558 were Protestants (Anglican).
  • Hula gi... TheRevo 2008/12/18 22:28:06 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    In name but there were many repressed. Many have also called themselves Christians but they are no more Christians than the man in the moon.
    That's part of why we had such an influx coming here.
  • Greatbe... Hula gi... 2008/12/19 20:18:44
    Greatbear100~support our vets
    +1
    Your'e right the reason Henry the 8th broke from the Roman Catholic Church was because he wanted his marriage annuled and the Pope refused and declared the marriage was legitimate so Henry persecuted Catholics, seized church property, and put many people to death. He had himself declared the head of the Church of England and outlawed the Catholic Church. those who would not wear loyalty to him lost their possessions and often their lives.
  • ben dares' other 1/2 2008/12/18 20:17:33
    ben dares' other 1/2
    +1
    forgotten the meaning, happy holidays!!
  • safari 2008/12/18 20:16:03
    safari
    +1
    Cool story thanks!
  • celticdragonfly 2008/12/18 20:14:25
    celticdragonfly
    +1
    I have heard this before, but I had forgotten what each stood for.

2014/04/19 17:22:30