Do You Judge John Boehner for Being a Smoker?

Politics 2011/02/01 17:00:00
Smoking has become the bete noire of civil society. Governments sue tobacco companies and heavily tax the tobacco products they make. Rabid health conscious consumers pass laws that force smokers outside and decree even parks off limits.

But new House Speaker John Boehner simply shrugs at the anti-smoking police. A heavy smoker, the Ohio Republican has taken shots from veteran newscaster Bob Schieffer, a cancer survivor, who said he should quit, and Chris Wallace, who made a similar comment.

Others have questioned if the most powerful Republican in Congress is being a good role model, considering his position. To his credit, Boehner has not dodged the question or talked about how he was going to quit soon. Instead his refrain is similar to the answer he gave Wallace.

"Oh, why do we bring this up again? You know, smoking. Listen, it's a bad habit, but I have it. And it's a legal product," Boehner said, according to ABC News. "I choose to smoke."

Should Boehner and other smokers be judged differently just because they smoke?

Read More: http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/01/the-smoki...

• Aurora 2011/02/01 19:29:46
    Aurora
    +18
    Do you judge Obama for smoking and drug use that has been admitted in his books that were penned by another William Ayers, I did not think so, what happened to the new tone of civility, c'mon SH you are leaning liberal, not much fairness on this site.

• turtleedie 2011/02/03 18:29:24 (edited)
    turtleedie
    He is an adult and smoking is his choice. Smoking does not impair his ability to lead the House of Representatives. Let the man do his job. And...if he wants to smoke in his office and the non-smokers don't like it, the non-smokers should go outside. Smokers pay more taxes than non-smokers.
  • bob 2011/02/03 09:04:55
    bob
    Just wait until the Islamists weigh in on this topic. They will no doubt want Sharia law to come down hard on smokers, especially if someone should succumb to lung cancer caused by second hand smoke. They in all likelihood will want at least one of the smoker's lungs to be ripped out for "causing" the death of a non-smoker.
  • brogers555 2011/02/03 00:20:47
    brogers555
    +1
    Smoking isn't a monkey on our back but anti's are! Go home progressives and take your junk sceince with you! Leave Boehner alone!
  • TiredOfNannies 2011/02/02 22:50:28
    TiredOfNannies
    +2
    Not at all. I might feel more like judging the ones who judge him concerning this petty matter, but I refrain from the nanny mindset even concerning that. I found the Gladys Kravitz character on Bewitched irritating, even as a child. I was told that was just a character. Amazing how the nannies are just like her regardless of gender and the fact that she was just a role in a fantasy television show, not a role model.
  • marbee 2011/02/02 19:09:00
    marbee
    +3
    The founding of this nation was financed by tobacco! Everyone should be THANKING smokers instead of kicking them out of their own businesses to smoke. THEY own the air inside, not the people they invite in!
  • Mare 2011/02/02 16:35:43
    Mare
    +3
    That's his Business and not the Goverment's..
  • jorge0214 Mare 2011/02/04 17:28:17
    jorge0214
    but the government will pay for his health care when he gets lung cancer.....

maybe the question should be should congressmen have free socialized health care for life, no matter how they treat their body?

should smokers have free health care- even if they don't buy health insurance?
  • sheila 2011/02/02 16:31:19
    sheila
    +3
    Boehner is not a "role model" for your kiddies, he is Speaker of The House of the United States of America. I'm sorry all your children need role models. Football players are not role models either. They are big stinky nasty brutes, and I love watching them kick each others asses. But I do not ask them to be pink pantied role models! And to those who chose to spend their time judging other peoples vices, LEARN to spell the word at least!
  • Tori Lynne 2011/02/02 16:26:33
    Tori Lynne
    +4
    Smoking is legal. I don't care if someone smokes, that's their right.
  • Linda Cebula 2011/02/02 16:23:37
    Linda Cebula
    +4
    Oh my god!!! Why on earth would someone be judged because he/she smokes??? This smoking/non smoking thing has gone way overboard....Leave the smokers alone and quit listening to all the false claims by the lobbyist!!!!
  • DUGGINS 2011/02/02 16:11:17
    DUGGINS
    +5
    The only people that would criticise anybody for doing something they enjoy doing are
    liberals, they always have to mind everyones business but their own, and have their nose
    where it doesn't belong. A couple examples.

If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
    If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
    If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
    If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
    A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
    Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
    A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
    A liberal will delete it because he's "offended."
  • JK 2011/02/02 16:07:22
    JK
    +5
    obama smoking

Case closed. Now let's move on.
  • mickrussom 2011/02/02 16:01:38
  • UNCLE DADDY 2011/02/02 15:51:06
    UNCLE DADDY
    +2
    His choice.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2011/02/02 15:50:46
  • TJ 2011/02/02 15:41:45
    TJ
    +2
    Judge not, lest ye be judged!
  • julie1056 2011/02/02 15:35:47
    julie1056
    +1
    It's his life let him do what he wants. I am an ex smoker and I sure won't condem anyone who smokes. Here's a kicker for you. The state of WA want to raise everyone's insurance rates to provide patches or ??? to help non smokers. Insurance currently covers "counseling" for non smokers-come "counseling" really??? Drop the counseling and pay for the patches or take care of it on your own. Don't think I should pay for it. Once again a few can't pay for everything. Heck I can't even afford health insurance and when I have it I sure don't want to pay for someone else's!
  • tigger 2011/02/02 15:32:08
    tigger
    +1
    He should be smoking weed
  • Chris -... tigger 2011/02/02 15:51:27
  • Freeranger 2011/02/02 15:30:19
    Freeranger
  • urlivinghell 2011/02/02 15:25:37
    urlivinghell
    +1
    FFS there ARE more important things 2 worry about.
  • sabbatha 2011/02/02 15:18:54
    sabbatha
    +3
    I don't know a great deal about this man but I respect him for being honest. He likes to smoke and he won't apologize for it. Good for him.
    I smoke and I like to smoke. I'm not rude about it, i don't light up around others if it will bother them and I don't throw my butts on the ground.
    People who try to pressure others to quit are self righteous and annoying.
  • Timetraveler 2011/02/02 15:18:53
    Timetraveler
    when a person lacks the strength to master his/her own vises, I wonder how strong their will really is, they should (Obama too) be the example to Americans, not the exceptions. plus the fact that quitting is so hard, should instill in them a conviction to end the sale of cigarettes over time. and free america from this killer. especially future generations.
  • Stonerkato Timetra... 2011/02/02 15:50:49
    Stonerkato
    +1
    I'm sorry. Where were you when he said that he chose to smoke. If he wanted to quit and couldn't that's one thing. Lacking the strength has nothing to do with it. Were not talking about will power. It's choice.
  • Timetra... Stonerkato 2011/02/02 15:56:35
    Timetraveler
    thats what all people of weak character say! Yeah I wanna smoke to share the stink and carcinogenics with everyone. choosing to do something is not an excuse for bad behaivor...guess your one of the people who chooses to smoke too.
  • Stonerkato Timetra... 2011/02/02 16:18:03
    Stonerkato
    +1
    I guess you choose to be an idiot. Good luck with that. Try reading the entire content of the articles before you comment.
  • Timetra... Stonerkato 2011/02/02 16:27:32
    Timetraveler
    when a person cannot contribute to an intelligent conversation, they rely on their only weapon, ignorance and stupidity. you appear to be a neurotic person, who can't take another persons opinion with respect to an individual thought. in life your an ignorant man, with limited abilities. good luck with that.
  • Stonerkato Timetra... 2011/02/02 16:42:37
    Stonerkato
    +2
    Let me get this straight. First you attack my character by calling me weak and that I share my stink and carcinogenics with everyone. Seems to me that you are the one here that judges people not me. I stated up front that I was a smoker. Reread your own posts if you want to see who judges others. Now travel back in time, reread the article so you know what he actually says and make a comment.
  • Timetra... Stonerkato 2011/02/03 16:07:42
  • Stonerkato Timetra... 2011/02/03 20:56:18
    Stonerkato
    You really are a sad little puppy. Now you resort to profanity. I knew you were a reformed smoker, you had to be. I really don't know where you get off thinking of yourself as an intellectual but good luck with that logic. I'll keep watching to see if you ever say anything intelligent and if you do I'll be the first to let you know. By the way, the origional question was about JUDGING OTHERS.
  • Timetra... Stonerkato 2011/02/04 15:44:12
    Timetraveler
    good luck with monitoring me, you might actually learn something, it's always easier to insult someone then to actually offer constructive conversation. and I said intelligent conversation, not IQ or intellect. damn your dumb! stop writing to me woody, I only have an hour to have fun here, and frankly you bother me boy.
  • Stonerkato Timetra... 2011/02/05 15:09:45
    Stonerkato
    Please. Stop bothering me and spend your hour here. If you see a comment "I" made, just ignore it. I didn't come here to have continuing banter with a frustrated Liberal. Just consider me another a-hole that shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. Oh wait, you already do. Really. Please. You're just annoying. And I'm more of a "Man" than you could ever hope to be and watch who you call "boy"
  • Timetra... Stonerkato 2011/02/05 15:43:52 (edited)
    Timetraveler
    your funny, stop bothering you? your the one who instead of giving your opinion of my comment NOT addressed to you, resorted to name calling, understand something..with a gentleman I am a gentleman and a half, with an a-hole I am a a-hole and a half. put yourself were it applys. your the one who has definate manifestations of a deep rooted anti-social fixation. see ya.
  • Tori Lynne Timetra... 2011/02/02 16:27:25
    Tori Lynne
    +4
    Have you ever considered that maybe he doesn't want to quit?
  • Timetra... Tori Lynne 2011/02/02 16:31:53
    Timetraveler
    yeah I considered that, but just like the pot smoker who defends his reasons for doing it. both tend to affect everyone around them.....another smoker?
  • morning... Timetra... 2011/02/02 23:15:42
    morning40oz~mad as hell
    +2
    LOL You're worried about cigarette smoke, but I'll bet you feed your children store-bought groceries, don't you? Quit being a hypocrite. The food we are given to purchase is killing people far more than cigarettes ever have or ever will.

Pall Malls Forever!!!
  • JamesCampbell 2011/02/02 15:16:40
  • patti 2011/02/02 15:15:25
    patti
    +3
    The coke-snorting President gets a pass, and he smokes like a chimney. So all of a sudden SodaHead is calling Boehner to the carpet? Please.
  • Timetra... patti 2011/02/02 15:21:22
    Timetraveler
    +4
    yeah, there never going to get that smell out of the white house or air force one. and they will have to deal with the cigarette smell too!
  • jorge0214 Timetra... 2011/02/03 00:30:45
    jorge0214
    THE PRESIDENT DOESN'T SMOKE ANYMORE!

the speaker does- why not ask about getting his smell out of the speaker's office?

2014/08/23 15:28:42