Do you have noisy neighbors?

mustangluver 2010/05/15 00:14:50
My thoughts on this church is WHAT NERVE! It is pure EVIL...LOL...I am having a major problem with a neighbor that has a flagpole that clangs 24/7...it is like Chinese torture!!!!

Thy Noisy Neighbor

April 5, 2010 by Kathy McManus
Thy Noisy Neighbor

The meaning of ‘love thy neighbor’ was challenged in court recently, when a Phoenix judge was asked to decide between the rights of two neighbors: a church that played recorded bells through a loudspeaker 13 times a day, and annoyed residents who wanted quiet.

According to The Arizona Republic, The Cathedral of Christ the King was cited last year for violating a Phoenix “nuisance and noise” ordinance and its bishop given a 10-day suspended jail sentence after neighbors complained about the bells chiming hourly from 8AM to 8PM, seven days a week.

In response, the church sued the city, claiming the noise ordinance was not only unconstitutional but written so that it was “impossible for a person to know if a noise he is making is against the law.”

A federal judge ruled that the church’s “interests of free speech and religious expression” outweighed the arguments of the neighbors. Readers of the Republic pondered the nuances of noise. “What about all the folks riding their loud Harleys and pickup trucks up and down the street all day and night?” asked one. “How’s that any different?”

There’s “a big difference between legal (ringing bells) and moral (respecting your neighbors and not annoying them),” wrote another.

Should one kind of “noise” be more protected than another? Do churches have an extra responsibility to be sensitive to their neighbors—or the other way around?

• danaslc 2010/05/15 05:42:59
    danaslc
    +5
    I live next door to illegal immigrants that have 10 cars parked around their house all the time and that is on a good day. On a bad day you can't even get up the street and they all drive expensive big SUV's. Everyone else in my neighborhood drives small compact cars. The illegal's all have those boom boxes in there cars and play Mexican Music on them. It is disgusting. My husband just hired an attorney to get the owner of the home in court to sue him and the city for lowering our property values and disturbing the peace. We have taken on year to get all license plates that are there all
    the time and have pictures of all of the cars and parties. They are screwed. We have played nice but no more.

• Liberty Blade 2011/10/23 00:51:45
    Liberty Blade
    +1
    Yep. Our street is crammed with illegal mexicans. Only three households besides ours speaks English. 2 in the morning, the people across the street will blast their speakers and as I'm typing my windows are rattling from their stupid carnival music. illegal mexicans lazy
  • mustang... Liberty... 2011/10/23 04:34:08
    mustangluver
    My friends mother has been here 30 yrs and doesn't speak a word of English...he is so embarrassed...
  • VERYwiseguy 2010/06/14 02:47:34
    VERYwiseguy
    No this! Alice Kravitz!
    +1
    Thankfully -- living rurally has its advantages (love the space .. and the fact that I don't have neighbors that close means things are pretty much quiet all the time).

However .. there are still problems (Because, let's face it .. there are always the stupid ones that think Rural roads are dragways) .. and yes, the sheriff knows this (And patrols regularly)

What DOES Bother me is this ..

I've had one neighbor that constantly, all the time has to KNOW Everyone else's business .. the kind that sticks their nose into everything, watches everything you do .. and who even walks/stalks other people's properties to /inspect/ things (I find it so creepy that they did this -- I finally went to the Station and put out a NO TRESPASS Order against them .. because, I actually overheard that one and their spouse making snide remarks about me near my windows (Which I keep the drapes/blinds drawn .. I can NOT Stand anyone looking in my windows at all).

So .. needless to say ... its the nosy creepy neighbor that worries me a lot more!
  • mustang... sglmom 2010/05/16 05:49:20
    mustangluver
    +1
    Yep, there is always one extraordinarily nosey neighbor.
  • sglmom mustang... 2010/05/16 06:27:53
    +1
    Definitely -- I can deal with a Bit of noise .. but the NOSY neighbor .. that is what is so hard to live with overall.
  • Niki 2010/05/15 19:15:19
    Niki
    +1
    I think the church should compromise by reducing the amount of hours the bell rings. 12 times a day is excessive. Ringing the church bells is not one of the ten commandments. Maybe ring around 4 times a day. :-)
  • mustang... Niki 2010/05/16 05:50:01
    mustangluver
    Maybe only on sunday?
  • Beccy 2010/05/15 18:22:16
  • daylight 2010/05/15 17:44:57 (edited)
    daylight
    +2
    I lived in San Antonio when I was young and loved hearing the church bells, but these were real bells, and they rung them at noon, not all day.

All day is like living in the Middle East, I would hate hearing them all the time through out the day.

I would go and talk to the church and ask them to pipe down a little.

And by the way, we had some neighbors who had their cars with the big jam box, they would drive with the music so loud and then park in their drive and play their music, all hours of the morning and night. On Christmas morning they were out there doing it again, my hubby went out and yelled at them " do you have to play that so loud'!!!!!!

They stopped and a few months later they moved :) I am so thankful, the police were over there picking up their sons from time to time. We were concerned our home would be broken into by these young men & teenagers.
  • mustang... daylight 2010/05/15 17:59:23
    mustangluver
    +1
    Loud music from cars is banned here..if you are caught, you get a hefty fine..
  • daylight mustang... 2010/05/17 08:21:34
    daylight
    Sweet, wished we had it here in TX :)
  • Angelique ~ Pfffft! ;)~ 2010/05/15 16:44:08
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    +2
    Haha! I am the noisy neighbor now....They all learned that I am a firm believer in,"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" . They found that I have no problem being just as loud, if not louder than they. My music can be played loud enough to drown out their yelling, their music, their loud cars, their doing donuts at the end of the cul de sac.....I won!
  • dick 2010/05/15 16:07:50
    dick
    +1
    I had one that was a real pain in the rear until I quietly explained the disadvantages of getting on my bad side they packed up and left quietly! real pain rear quietly explained disadvantages packed quietly
  • mustang... dick 2010/05/15 16:59:49
    mustangluver
    LOL....same here...we say, if you want a war, bring it on.
  • Don 2010/05/15 15:59:12
    Don
    +2
    Yea,Bitchy Too...
  • Nick Name 2010/05/15 11:49:22 (edited)
    Nick Name
    +2
    Does the church really play the bells 12 hours a day, seven days a week? How can that be legal?

If I was a neighbor and the bells stopped at 8pm every evening, assuming there are services on Wednesday evening and Sunday evening, I would blast loud music at them during the services.

AC/DC: Hells Bells.

And polka music.
  • mustang... Nick Name 2010/05/15 17:01:00
    mustangluver
    LOL
  • Autarchic 2010/05/15 11:21:44
    Autarchic
    +2
    One man's music is another man's noise! When people are bothered, it matters not by what. The federal judge should have to live next to the so-called church.
  • 2sly 2010/05/15 10:39:58
    2sly
    +2
    Bust up the loud speakers or plug them and when they replace them do it again till they get the message.
  • TawanasTangent 2010/05/15 08:35:32 (edited)
    TawanasTangent
    +3
    Noise illegals, their plumbing company being run from their home and at my bedroom and kitchen windows. Their plumbing trucks and brand new SUVs, pipe clanging off and on all day from being thrown on the concrete, 10 people in their house, their noisy motorcycles, and screaming children and incessantly barking chihuahuas, their all night parties, screaming, yelling, running up and down the street at all hours of the night, their basket ball court at our bedroom window, balls coming into our yard breaking my plants and pots, etc.

We have moved our bed to the other side of the house to the smaller bedroom. We have abandoned the kitchen table and the living room sofa, and the back yard. When at home, we stay in the smaller bedroom, on the far side of the house, with the door and windows closed and the air conditioner on, to block out their constant noise. So far, the city has not do anything about them, though we complain enough.Still, we are having to put up a
    fence in the front yard to keep them from using our yard. Seems their disregard for laws does not stop at the border. So much for our plans of making this our permanent home.
  • mustang... Tawanas... 2010/05/15 09:17:42
  • Donna Tawanas... 2010/06/09 03:00:23
    Donna
    +1
    Mustang is right. Even if it is annoying to you, a taste of their own medicine is the only thing these types of people seem to get.... so go ahead & blast 'em. I've done it out of desperation..it was very inconvenient for me, but it was the only thing that worked.
  • Dagon 2010/05/15 05:49:44
  • mustang... Dagon 2010/05/15 09:20:32
    mustangluver
    +2
    Why would a church have to ring bells for 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week...church service is on sunday. I think it is a disturbance of the peace..and ppl did not know a church rings bells 5 days a week, for 8 hrs a day..it is lunacy.
  • Dagon mustang... 2010/05/15 13:32:33
  • danaslc 2010/05/15 05:42:59
    danaslc
    +5
  • mustang... danaslc 2010/05/15 09:22:22
    mustangluver
    +2
    Our cops here don't tolerate that..not for a second.
  • Liberty... mustang... 2011/10/23 00:53:48
    Liberty Blade
    Too bad I don't live where you are. The cops here don't give a crap about the citizens. They built themselves a nice new station, but efficiency still isn't any better.
  • 12 Tone Melody 2010/05/15 04:30:09
    12 Tone Melody
    +3
    No--mercifully we have a pretty quite neighborhood
  • Donna 2010/05/15 03:53:14
    Donna
    +2
    I did ....lived in an apt building for a few years after I sold my house. what a nightmare ! they would make noise all night & I would pay 'em back in the morning ... thank God for fans & A/C, they do block out alot of noise. Finally bought another home. Nice n quiet.
  • mustang... Donna 2010/05/15 09:26:19
    mustangluver
    +1
    While we were waiting for our house to be built we lived in an apt complex. We were on the first floor..The lady above us would vacuum at 2-3 in the am!!! And run the dishwasher...OMG! But since our time was short, i didn't say anything..
  • Donna mustang... 2010/06/09 02:32:29 (edited)
    Donna
    I had 2 downstairs neighbors who would crank the stereo @ 10PM ( on the dot ) every night. They didnt know I even had a stereo until they moved out. On moving day they decide they would crank latin music extra loud for the entire 3 hours it took them to move their stuff. Well they got to know all of the best hard rock bands of the past few decades & the fact that my stereo was MUCH louder than theirs real fast. Knowing when they were over powered, the music was turned down in no time.
  • ♥ Lady Darkness ♥ 2010/05/15 03:18:42
  • Huki68 2010/05/15 02:43:23
    Huki68
    +2
    NO We are noise neighbors... LOL No! we all are great neighbors
  • Brosia 2010/05/15 01:35:21
    Brosia
    +2
    I hate loud noises that are constant and predictable. The Church knows that it is being a nuisance by having loud bells (or recordings, whatev) so often. Maybe they can turn down the volume a bit, hold off on the weekends, or invite the neighbors to come up with reasonable solutions together, and be a unified community.
  • Leasheryn/Lady Willpower 2010/05/15 01:24:55
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +4
    no, we have a nosey neighbor which can be just as bad! nosey neighbor nosey neighbor
  • mustang... Leasher... 2010/05/15 09:30:04
    mustangluver
    +2
    LOL...i had tons of them in my life..
  • Leasher... mustang... 2010/05/16 00:24:58
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    Doesn't everyone. LOL
  • belle 2010/05/15 00:39:04
    belle
    +3
    All my neighbors are quite. I have the flag pole in my area, but no clanging. What so these people have attached to it?

The church could have at least changed their hours of ringing the bells and not every hour.

2014/10/24 16:11:51