Do you feel that registered gun owners should be allowed to display their registered firearms in public and in commercial establishments?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/04/09 05:09:45

• Evan 2012/06/08 15:21:17
    Evan
    +1
    I dont beleive in CCWs. Why must we ask the state for permission when the supreme law of the land says it is our right?
  • Christopher Southworth 2012/05/31 02:34:57 (edited)
    Christopher Southworth
    +1
    This is unfortunately an ambiguous debate. There are of course rules for these things, as there should be, but there also needs to be room to exercise rights. I completely agree that if you can conceal, you should, but unfortunately not everyone has taken the often pointless classes and paid the fee to do something legally that thousands do illegally every day, and not everyone can. So, perhaps a better question should be - Should we require Concealed Permits? You might as well assume that there are a lot more people walking around with guns in their pants or under their shirt than there are wearing them in the open. You can also assume that only a fraction of people carrying concealed are doing so lawfully.

So look at it this way, the people carrying concealed lawfully are, in most cases, not the ones you need to worry about. The people carrying openly are not concerned with trying to hide their weapons, so they are also, in most cases, not the ones you need to worry about. The ones carrying concealed illegally or in violation of paroles and what not, are the ones who willingly disregard the law and think themselves above it or just don't care. Those are the ones I would be concerned about, though you generally don't know they are there.

I have worked with Law Enforceme...

I have worked with Law Enforcement. They use DL #'s and Plate #'s to determine who might be in what cars we pull over and what kind of record they have, and also if they are a registered carrier, but just because we don't see a concealed permit or a rap sheet doesn't mean that we assume they don't have a gun. Obviously we are supposed to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but for our safety we have to assume that everyone might want to kill us. I would encourage a form of that type of mindset, but I believe our nation has already digressed into too much of a "Police State" as it is.

As for open carrying, its a double edged sword. Sure, you have a gun, but most people are not really violent, and the presence of those tools of violence can make them nervous, I understand that. Most people don't want to hurt anyone or be hurt by them, and they should not have to be fearful for their life, especially if they have a past history on the wrong end of a barrel. Sure, you have a gun, and maybe you can use it, but if a "bad guy" starts shooting people up, he's going to target the guy with the gun first, so now you have made yourself a target. Now take that point and the first and put them together. That guy may or may not have been intending on shooting everybody up that day, but he has his gun with him, and the sight of another with a gun is probably going to make an already ill mind paranoid, so he's going to go into fight or flight panic mode, and he ends up shooting you and five other people until someone with a concealed puts him down. In addition to that, you make Law Enforcement nervous. Its our job to protect our citizens, thats why we are. Now we see a guy in combat boots, old army pants and a .45 on his hip, we know he's not one of us. He just might be someone who wants to make sure he can protect himself, and does so lawfully. Then again, he might be someone who feels he has something to prove, and when someone has something to prove they target one of two types of individuals, their peers, or their "superiors" as they see it. It doesn't have to be violent, flaunting may be all there is too it, but all thats doing is making a lot of people nervous and edgy. Sure, you have a gun, and its your right to have it, to show it, whatever, this is your RIGHT, but is it RIGHT to do it? Ask yourself if there are perhaps better ways to go about it, and perhaps a better time and place for you to exercise your right.

On the other hand, it is my personal belief that if everyone had a gun, then having a gun wouldn't be so special, and if you knew that everyone had a gun, you might be a little more hesitant to pull yours, or if you saw multiple people with guns in plain view, so on and so forth. The obvious flaw in this is that we all know idiots in our life, people that we wouldn't trust with a can opener, let alone a gun. There are people that cannot shoot accurately, this makes it obvious that they should not be allowed to shoot in public. There are people that do not have the right temperament or mental faculties to be trusted to handle a firearm on their own, let alone in public.

In regards to making people nervous while you have your gun in view, well, its more of a courtesy thing really. Also, if you show a pleasant and professional demeanor to those around you, that will, in some cases, put them at ease about your gun, but if you walk around grungy and grumpy, slingin iron, well, yeah, nobody likes that.

To finish, and I apologize for making this lengthy, it is your right to keep and bear arms, and I believe the government should not be able to restrict those rights, with obvious exceptions being security issues, but private land owners can, and should, establish and enforce whatever rules they find prudent to protect their clientele and make them comfortable in their place of business. So perhaps as an alternative to openly 'slingin iron' or whatever, it would be courteous, and even a little wise, to just get your concealed and know within yourself that you can be responsible for yourself and ready to protect those around you should the need arise.

Our rights give us the freedom to choose, they do not tell us which choice is right.
  • Angi 2012/04/09 16:51:29
    Angi
  • wolf sloan 2012/04/09 15:00:37
    I don't know.
    wolf sloan
    +1
    A little discretion should be exercised.
  • merlinskiss 2012/04/09 13:47:31
    merlinskiss
    +1
    I believe it is our Constitutional right to do so and if that is what works for them, I have no issues. But I do believe it might cause some problems like walking in to a bank with guards there. They can't tell the bad guys from the good guys.

Personally, if and when I exercise my right to concealed carry, it is exactly that, concealed and no one but me knows!
  • tom C 2012/04/09 13:42:33 (edited)
    tom  C
    +1
    In most states where there are concealed carry laws,,,,a gun carrier can be arrested for openly displaying his weapon..//
    thats why its called CONCEALED carry...

http://www.texaschl.us/faq.ht...
  • BetaMaxevony 2012/04/09 13:39:38
    BetaMaxevony
    +1
    Although I completely disagree with the idea of registering firearms. If you own one, you should be able to carry it wherever you go. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  • Phil 2012/04/09 12:15:17
    Phil
    +1
    It scares people.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/04/09 12:06:30
    Bingo's Faddah
    Yep. Wear them on your hip and the bad guys just might leave you alone.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/04/09 11:42:55
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Sure, they can advertise their small manhood any way they like. Big trucks, firearms, it's easy to spot the man with compensation issues.
  • BritPunk 2012/04/09 11:15:09
    I don't know.
    BritPunk
    +1
    Maybe if they hand them in at the door, like in the old westerns!
  • tweet_tweet 2012/04/09 11:09:32
    I don't know.
    tweet_tweet
    +1
    Definitely not if the establishment has a policy against it.
    +2
    Why not?
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/04/09 09:57:57
    Rusty Shackleford
    +2
    My weapons are not registered and I do have the right to keep and bear them.
  • The•Dungeon•Master 2012/04/09 09:50:11
    +3
    Absolutely! What do you think the guy robbing the bank does when he's doing a stick up! He ignores the law. Let's give him something to think about!
  • Vitalani 2012/04/09 07:19:13
    Vitalani
    +3
    If they are legal then they should be entirely legal.
  • TKramar 2012/04/09 06:38:50
    TKramar
    +2
    It should be mandatory--so that I can ostracize them.
    +3
    Where does it stop. The other day I stopped for fuel at Circle K and went inside to pay for it. There was a middle aged man standing there drinking coffee with what looked like a .45 loaded in a holster hanging from his waist.

The clerk was very nervous and was frankly worried. The man left with his coffee and sat down and broke down crying. There was another person in the back who wouldn't come out until the man left. She had called the police.

The open show of a firearm caused these two people a totally unnecessary incident that was in my opinion poor judgement on the part of the man with the gun.

Come to find out the man had two outstanding disturbing the peace and assault warrants out against him.

This could have had a very bad outcome.
  • Vitalani sjalan 2012/04/09 07:21:17
    Vitalani
    +4
    Well then his gun was not legal and so gun laws are not relevant here. How would you, a random bystander, have all if this information anyway?
  • sjalan Vitalani 2012/04/09 16:15:51
    +1
    I guess you can't read. I WAS THERE. The police arrested the man and did an investigation and I was questioned.
  • Vitalani sjalan 2012/04/09 17:16:50
    Vitalani
    +1
    Oh I can read.
    Being there has nothing to do with anything.
    Police don't discuss background info of the perp with witnesses. A little defensive are we? Hm.
  • sjalan Vitalani 2012/04/09 17:25:56
    +1
    When a cops says and I quote "We arrested him -- He's in violation of his probation ie carrying a weapon and has two warrants out on him"

Defensive Not at all. Just seems you are a little clueless when it comes to normal listening and conversations at a crime sceine.
  • Vitalani sjalan 2012/04/09 17:28:04
    Vitalani
    +1
    I'm actually very well educated in the law enforcement field.
    I'm not saying you are lying, I was just questioning your information. And the overly defensive way in which you responded only makes me more skeptical.
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/04/09 06:30:41
    TheMadChameleon
    +3
    Keep them concealed. It only takes one person overreacting to start a panic.
  • AL 2012/04/09 06:05:55
    AL
  • mae 2012/04/09 05:42:45
    mae
    +2
    I would love to think that all registered gun owners are level-headed, slow-to-anger, and completely competant with their weapon. But after working in emergency rooms in three different metropolitan trauma centers, I can tell you, unfortunately, its not that way.
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/04/09 05:29:18
    I don't know.
    Mark In Irvine
    +3
    i find i'm starting to think that i might want to get a gun ... the police can't be around to protect us all the time ... if some guy named George Zimmerman starts following me around with a loaded gun, i think i have the need and the right to defend myself if push comes to shove ... this isn't easy for me to admit, given that i've been a fuzzy-headed knee-jerk liberal my whole life ... i've been held up at gun-point, and l have learned to let go of my tendency to worry about what kind of lousy childhood the evil-doer may have had before s/he decided to commit a crime on which i am the victim.
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/04/09 05:23:52
  • 3052457 2012/04/09 05:17:37 (edited)
  • Rusty S... 3052457 2012/04/09 09:56:36 (edited)
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    Of course you can carry a knife, the right to bear arms includes all arms, not just firearms.
  • 3052457 Rusty S... 2012/04/09 10:01:13
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/04/09 05:16:36
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +2
    Until it's shown to cause some actual harm that is a concern of the government, then absolutely yes for public display.

Commercial establishments, though...that's trickier as they can set rules for both employees and customers regarding behavior and even dress (no shirt no shoes, anyone?). If they refuse service to someone openly carrying a firearm, that's a business decision they should get to make.
  • Wayne TH G 333 2012/04/09 05:13:52
    Wayne TH G 333
    +3
    Hell no!

2014/10/31 17:27:19