Do you consider gun ownership to be a human right?

JAKE~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/25 21:25:27
Yes, I believe gun ownership is a birthright for responsible citizens and essential to the preservation of life, liberty, and property.
No! Guns are not needed for freedom and security to exist/they scare me
I would also like to get the opinions of those outside the U.S.!
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Dalai Lama
There wouldn't be a first amendment, without the second.

• keymanjim 2011/10/25 22:01:37
    Yes, I believe gun ownership is a birthright for responsible citizens and ess...
    keymanjim
    +8
    The right to defend yourself is a human right. A gun is just a tool for use in that defense.
    And, Yes, I do believe that if someone can afford it they should be allowed to own a tank.

• Amasaman 2012/01/04 14:29:54
    Amasaman
    Just like breathing!
  • S. Gompers 2011/11/04 08:16:38
    S. Gompers
    +1
    Screw antigunners.
  • Lily Rosen 2011/10/27 19:09:13
    Lily Rosen
    Then again...I don't believe guns should exist in the first place, but alas they do anyway.
  • lucky 2011/10/27 14:11:30
    lucky
    +1
    Not so much a birthright as a constitutional right, if it were a birth right then even those with severe mental impairment would have the right to have a gun.

Our constitutional rights give us the right to own a gun but also the ability to require logical restrictions, our problems begin when those restrictions stop being logical and start being controlling.
  • JAKE~PW... lucky 2011/10/27 15:03:30
  • lucky JAKE~PW... 2011/10/27 15:13:46
    lucky
    It also says "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,"

A mentally impaired person with a gun could be considered a threat to the security of a free state. They would not be necessary to a militia nor our security.
  • JAKE~PW... lucky 2011/10/27 22:58:35
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    i said specifically a birthright for all responsible citizens. excluding the nuts
  • lucky JAKE~PW... 2011/11/04 12:25:48
    lucky
    A "birthright" is defined as a right that you have from the moment of birth, at birth mental stability isnt measurable, neither is criminal behavior. I prefer the right to own a gun only be given to those who have proven they are responsible citizens instead of just handing it out to anyone just because they were blessed to be born in the US.
  • JAKE~PW... lucky 2011/11/13 05:33:29
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    something we are all born with the potential to obtain later in life. birthrights are not always obtained at birth, just granted due to it.
  • lucky JAKE~PW... 2011/11/14 14:15:41
    lucky
    In that sense then wouldnt we already have the birthright to own a gun?
  • JAKE~PW... lucky 2011/11/14 15:23:56
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    that was my point
  • lucky JAKE~PW... 2011/11/14 15:41:22
    lucky
    lol. An easy point made if you had left out the word birthright but by using that word in your answer you opened the door for other possible chains of thought.

Regardless, we seem to agree on the right to own a gun as defined by our Bill of Rights and that is enough for me.
  • JAKE~PW... lucky 2011/11/14 16:27:17
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    indeed
  • IAmAKay 2011/10/27 05:30:38
    IAmAKay
    I'm actually more in between the two extremes. I think gun ownership should be extremely restrictive.
  • Marvelo... IAmAKay 2011/10/27 14:43:42
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Do you really believe that the people who ignore the restrictions against rape, robbery and murder, would obey those restrictions?

How is your belief in disarming the victim while leaving the violent criminals armed supposed to work?
    Where has it proven to actually work?
  • No! Guns are not needed for freedom and security to exist/they scare me
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    I think you need to take some philosophy classes, owning a gun isn't a right, the government has given you the freedom to choose to own a gun.
  • Tim 2011/10/27 00:40:00
    Tim
    Human rights are those considered to have been conferred upon us at birth by God or nature, depending on your beliefs - freedom of expression, freedom of choice, the right to a happy, satisfying life, etc., etc - and are, or at least, should be, immutable.. Guns are man made weapons of death and the right to carry them is not absolute and can be conferred or denied by governments. I have a feeling God and/or nature would decry the very existence of such "tools".
  • BK 2011/10/26 22:34:49
    BK
    +1
    Every person on earth has the right to live their life, and part and parcel of that right is the right to defend that life from those who would seek to take it or control it for their own purposes.
  • on and on1 2011/10/26 22:01:51
    on and on1
    +1
    A right is something you are born with, and you will
    die with, granted to you by your "Creator" (whatever you
    imagine He/She/It/Them to be). A privilege is granted to
    you by the King, General, Church, or the State, and may be
    revoked at any time, if one loses favor. This is usually
    caused by a failure "consider the king", a failure to pay
    the "royalty", tax, indulgence, tithe, license fee, etc.

So-called "Civil Rights" are by definition, conveyed by
    positive law, and thus are more akin to privileges than
    to natural rights. So-called "Civil Liberties" are by
    definition natural immunities to government interference,
    and are thus are more akin to proper natural rights.

Rights exist before, and are thus superior to, privileges.

Therefore NO, GUN OWNERSHIP IS NOT A "HUMAN RIGHT". It is a privilege I think that some should be allowed and others denied.
  • seathanaich 2011/10/26 21:42:13
    seathanaich
    +2
    No, gun ownership is not a right. You need to learn what a "right" is, and how they differ from "priveleges", like driving a car, etc.
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2011/10/26 20:29:05
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +2
    I don't think guns are a "human right".

I think people have the right to own a gun, but doing so does not constitute a "human right", and is subject to restrictions.
  • flaca BN-0 2011/10/26 19:16:36
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    I grew up in the UK. Most Brits have never even seen a gun. The number of gun deaths and accidents is miniscule compared to the US (as a ratio). I prefer the right of "freedom from fear of being shot" than "freedom to own a gun". Generally it means your life is safer.
  • Marvelo... flaca BN-0 2011/10/27 14:58:24
    Marvelous Wildfire
    No, actually being shot is not the only way a person could be murdered (shortened life).
    However, if the intended victims are able to defend themselves from criminal attack this could very well indeed mean your life3 would be SAFER.

Mexico is "Gun Free" and #4 on the "United Nations Top Ten Countries for Homicide".
    The United States didn't even make the list.
    (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention, Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 – 2000.)
  • flaca BN-0 Marvelo... 2011/10/28 20:52:48
    flaca BN-0
    this Mexican thing is fairly recent. I have lived in several countries. In TX where I live now, after dark you never see anyone outside. In the UK, people wander about at all hours whether it's dark or not. People go for strolls at 1am. There's a freedom that europeans have that Americans do not. I know: I've lived both of them.
  • JAKE~PW... flaca BN-0 2011/10/28 21:32:01
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I'm american and we have the safety to walk around at night
  • flaca BN-0 JAKE~PW... 2011/10/28 21:46:18
    flaca BN-0
    you're in California right? Trust me, in TX you rarely see anyone out at night. We have too many drive-=by shootings. That's the point though. In the UK we don't have drive-by shootings. I'm just trying to show you that it's a whole different world over there.
  • JAKE~PW... flaca BN-0 2011/10/29 10:25:26
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    I grew up in LA, Texas gangs are just Cali copycats.
  • Hobbitt / Oldsquid 2011/10/26 15:52:30
    Hobbitt / Oldsquid
  • dave s 2011/10/26 14:13:58
    dave  s
    +1
    yes I believe everyone has the right to defend themselves but I don't believe that gun ownership is a human right; however, if one chooses to own a gun in order to defend themselves, then they should have the legal right to do so.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2011/10/26 13:36:23
  • dave s Mr.Hood... 2011/10/26 14:12:21
    dave  s
    +1
    you state that there are only 4 human rights then you add the right to defend oneself? so that's 5. are there any additional ones you'd like to name?
  • Mr.Hood... dave s 2011/10/26 21:41:28
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    When did I number them? Are you assuming because I used a period that meant 1,2,3,4? smh Go back under your rock grumpy old man.
  • dave s Mr.Hood... 2011/10/27 03:42:22
    dave  s
    grumpy old man?? wtf is wrong with you, you moron? perhaps if you posted something that was mildly coherent no one would bitch at you about it
  • Mr.Hood... dave s 2011/10/27 13:09:05 (edited)
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    How bout you construct your sentence like this. "Wtf is wrong with you moron?" Make it more "coherent".You have some nerve calling someone a moron. Go back under your rock now.
  • dave s Mr.Hood... 2011/10/27 16:10:23
    dave  s
    I believe my statement "wtf is wrong with you, you moron" conveyed my feelings accurately and clearly.
  • Lily Rosen dave s 2011/10/27 19:12:04
    Lily Rosen
    Text talk is neither accurate nor clear.
  • Semper Fi 2011/10/26 13:34:45
    Semper Fi
  • exsecrare 2011/10/26 13:16:08
    exsecrare
    +1
    I told a friend of mine about a gun I'm in the process of purchasing (buying a class 3 destructive device is a long drawn out process). he asked me "why do you need that?" to which I responded: "You don't buy a gun after you need it, now do you?" and then there's the fact that I'm a collector and am currently pursuing my collectors FFL.
  • FanOreilly 2011/10/26 12:22:03
    FanOreilly
    +2
    Guns are not a human right, the right to life is a human right.

What is the best way to ensure the right to life? Self-defense.

What is the best way to ensure self-defense? Liberty.

What ensures liberty best? Guns.
  • Risk 2011/10/26 12:21:57
    Risk
    +1
    " God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal " ! ! !

2014/09/03 00:27:15