Do You Believe in UFOs?

Fox Report with Shepard Smith 2012/06/27 20:38:45
Related Topics: Ufo

• Steve 2012/06/29 15:34:00
    Yes, I do
    Steve
    +9
    We live on one planet of 8 that orbit the sun, that is 1 of an estimated 200 billion stars in the milky way, which is 1 of the estimated hundreds of billions of galaxies in existence so there is more than likely life on other places other than earth. Especially with the laws with the laws of physics and life being constant across existence.

• StarWar... swp 2012/07/12 05:00:41
    StarWarsBob
    So far there is only one planet that has been detected that orbits Epsilon Eridani, but our three methods for detecting planets at current levels is primitive. Planets are a natural byproduct of star formation, and the distribution of those planets are uniform, where the solid planets are in close to the star and the large gaseous ones are farther out. What has been detected around Epsilon Eridani is a large gaseous Jupiter like planet. There have been more than fifty planets discovered outside our solar system so far, and those numbers are increasing every year. There's even been a water planet discovered around a star that's 40 light years away called GJ 1214b, that is two and a half times the size of earth. Smaller earth sized planets and even smaller moons are impossible to detect given our current technology, but that will change. Water is the key element for life, which is why life will be discovered on Jupiter's moon Europa in 2027. Europa has more water than planet earth - over twice as much.

A hundred years ago scientists were unanimous in the belief that no life could exist at the bottom of our oceans. The pressures were too great for life as we knew it to survive. Then technology allowed us to send a robotic submarine to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean - so deep th...

A hundred years ago scientists were unanimous in the belief that no life could exist at the bottom of our oceans. The pressures were too great for life as we knew it to survive. Then technology allowed us to send a robotic submarine to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean - so deep that there is no light, and in 1977 mankind discovered whole eco systems thriving around volcanic vents at the oceans floor. Those discoveries changed the way man thinks about how life exists in the most hostile of environments.
  • swp StarWar... 2012/07/12 15:34:25
    swp
    It's amazing how your response addresses none of my criticisms of your previous posts.
    I understand that there are other planets. I understand that people believed different things in the past.
    None of that addresses the issues that are contradicting our current understanding. Guess how we know now that life can exist at the bottom of the ocean? Evidence! Show me some, that's how science works. We change our view when presented with evidence, without it, it is reasonable to continue to believe what the existing evidences supports.
    Life on other planets may be plentiful in our solar system, some of it may have visited Earth, but until there is evidence to the contrary, the existing evidences says "no". As much as we have the ability to understand the physics involved, there is no extra-terrestrial life close enough to Earth to have visited it. That is currently the most reasonable position - until evidence to the contrary is available.
  • StarWar... swp 2012/07/13 04:36:26
    StarWarsBob
    The evidence is there - you just refuse to acknowledge it. I mentioned the foo-fighters that were sighted by dozens of fliers during world war II. Your response: "That fighter pilots see something they don't recognize is not an argument for extra-terrestrial visitors."
    You would have to read the accounts, and the lack of any logical scientific explanation for those flying lighted craft before you can come to a rational conclusion. The story even made Time Magazine in 1945.

You are totally ignoring the facts that many UFO's were spotted by allied and axis pilots during world war II. You are also ignoring that the US government has been actively covering up UFO reports, including the crash in Roswell, New Mexico. Even NASA astronauts have observed UFO's duing space flights, as well as countless commericial pilots sightings. During the Columbia STS-80 flight, a disk sized object larger than the shuttle itself parked itself right under the shuttle 190 miles above Denver Colorado and was recorded. Ask retired astronaut Dr. Story Musgrave, who was a mission specialist on that shuttle flight if he believes in intelligent aliens visiting earth. His own words, when referring to gray aliens: "These guys are real...I guarantee it!" Ask former NASA astronauts Gordon Cooper, Donald Slayton, ...

You are totally ignoring the facts that many UFO's were spotted by allied and axis pilots during world war II. You are also ignoring that the US government has been actively covering up UFO reports, including the crash in Roswell, New Mexico. Even NASA astronauts have observed UFO's duing space flights, as well as countless commericial pilots sightings. During the Columbia STS-80 flight, a disk sized object larger than the shuttle itself parked itself right under the shuttle 190 miles above Denver Colorado and was recorded. Ask retired astronaut Dr. Story Musgrave, who was a mission specialist on that shuttle flight if he believes in intelligent aliens visiting earth. His own words, when referring to gray aliens: "These guys are real...I guarantee it!" Ask former NASA astronauts Gordon Cooper, Donald Slayton, Gene Cernan, Frank Borman, Neil Armstrong and Scott Carpenter if they believe that UFO's and alien intelligence exist. They will give you the same answers that Dr. Story Musgrave gave. These are not amateurs, rather trained scientists and pilots. Why don't you write those professionals and argue your "lack of evidence" points with them.
  • swp StarWar... 2012/07/13 23:52:53
    swp
    You don't understand the difference between not understanding what something is and evidence for extraterrestrials.

My logic was sound. Seeing something that you don't understand is not evidence for something else.

Other than anecdotes about people seeing something they didn't understand you have no actual evidence for something. You argued yourself that previously we didn't understand how something could live at the bottom of the ocean, but that was evidences that proved nothing did live there. Jumping to the conclusion that unidentified flying objects are more than just unidentified, that they are spaceships from extraterrestrials, that is where you go off the deep end.
  • StarWar... swp 2012/07/17 07:09:25
    StarWarsBob
    I have never concluded that anything observed flying that is not identified is an alien intelligence. You keep bringing up the argument that there is no evidence, yet there is plenty of evidence, but when governments cover it up and use their extensive power to do so, there will be no evidence found available to the public.

The Roswell incident is something I have personal knowledge of, and some of that knowledge is very detailed. I didn't see the craft or the dead and dying alien bodies myself, but my friend's Grandfather's friend did, and I have no reason to not believe him. You keep bringing up the limits of space travel and the size of the universe as reasoning for no alien life to have visited earth in the past, but that is truly ignorant given that some alien intelligence could have been traversing space for a million years . You are using man's current technology in space travel as a measuring parameter, and that is absurd. You can't imagine what ability mankind will have in space travel in a thousand or even a couple hundred years.

The Roswell incident was reported correctly when the news first broke, but then the Army came in and gathered all the evidence and then the government produced a cover story of a high altitude weather balloon with plastic human dummies on bo...

The Roswell incident is something I have personal knowledge of, and some of that knowledge is very detailed. I didn't see the craft or the dead and dying alien bodies myself, but my friend's Grandfather's friend did, and I have no reason to not believe him. You keep bringing up the limits of space travel and the size of the universe as reasoning for no alien life to have visited earth in the past, but that is truly ignorant given that some alien intelligence could have been traversing space for a million years. You are using man's current technology in space travel as a measuring parameter, and that is absurd. You can't imagine what ability mankind will have in space travel in a thousand or even a couple hundred years.

The Roswell incident was reported correctly when the news first broke, but then the Army came in and gathered all the evidence and then the government produced a cover story of a high altitude weather balloon with plastic human dummies on board. That cover story was ridiculous, as the beings observed by my friends Grandfather's friend were small GRAY beings with large dark eyes, and two were dead and the third was dying. The wreckage was spread over an area of over three hundred yards, and there was a large gash in the ground at initial impact. A weather balloon falling to earth would not hit an an angle, and there was not a weather balloon that big to produce so much debris. Remember, I learned about the event in 1967, just twenty years after the crash. This was long before UFO's became popular on TV and the media.
    remember learned event 1967 years crash ufos popular tv media
  • swp StarWar... 2012/07/17 19:58:11
    swp
    You keep saying there is evidence but all you ever come up with when asked are anecdotes about people that sw something they didn't understand.
    If there is real evidence where is it? How are these aliens so super smart, but our government can easily cover up all the evidence of their existence?

You say you have personal knowledge of this and the go on to contradict that statement by outright declaring that your knowledge is hearsay.

You wrote: "I didn't see the craft or the dead and dying alien bodies myself, but my friend's Grandfather's friend did, and I have no reason to not believe him. "

Yes you DO have a reason not to believe him. That reason is all the REAL evidence to the contrary. The very headiness that you show above clearly state "no details of flying disk are revealed" -- so if they weren't revealed how do you know so much? You see it turns out the details have been revealed (finally). I linked to them on wikipedia earlier in this thread. Why do you choose to believe the most outrageous of the alternatives instead of the most likely?
  • StarWar... swp 2012/07/19 09:33:38
    StarWarsBob
    You have a very strange sense of reality. I must ask, seeing that you do not reveal any details about yourself in your profile. How old are you, and what is your level of education?

If we were having this conversation two hundred years ago and I told you that in a couple of centuries that man could fly from Paris to New York in three hours and 45 minutes on a commercial aircraft, I suspect that you would be giving the same kinds of responses that you are giving now. "There's no evidence".

The government of the US and other governments have been covering up UFO activity for many years. If you look up information about foo fighters during world war II on Wikipedia, you would find this:
    "Most of the information about the issue has never been released by military intelligence."

Why do you think that is? The US government has good reasons to keep knowledge of UFO's secret. They have stigmatized anybody or any pilots that have observed UFO's for decades. They cover it up and refuse to reveal what they know, just like they covered up the Roswell incident, and countless other UFO encounters over the last 67 years. But they can't stop people from telling what they know, from an old farmer in Roswell to retired NASA astronauts. I don't think they are lying...

Why do you think that is? The US government has good reasons to keep knowledge of UFO's secret. They have stigmatized anybody or any pilots that have observed UFO's for decades. They cover it up and refuse to reveal what they know, just like they covered up the Roswell incident, and countless other UFO encounters over the last 67 years. But they can't stop people from telling what they know, from an old farmer in Roswell to retired NASA astronauts. I don't think they are lying, but apparently you do because you have not seen the evidence.

I have never claimed "faster-than-light travel technology". I tried to explain to you about the possible existence of worm holes in space, and how an advanced civilization might be able to create a worm hole to travel through vast distances in space in short time spans. You do understand Einstein's theory of relativity don't you? The faster you go, the slower time passes. This have already been PROVEN in 1971.
    The existence of worm holes are very possible, and Einstein and other Physicists' theories can account for them with math.

Current space travel technology for mankind is at a very primitive level. But in two hundred years, there will be space travel technology that will achieve 90% of light speed, and interstellar space travel will then be possible for us. Man could reach Alpha Centuri in five years. A possible mode of transportation would be rockets powered by hydrogen explosions, or ion rocket technology. Remember that it was only eight years, three months and eight days from the time mankind first reached space to the time he first set foot on the moon. And it was only another 17 years after that when man had a continuous presence in space, for the last 25 years, first with the Russian Mir space station and then with the International Space Station. Mankind will have landed on Mars within another fifty years, Europa in 75 years, and the outer planets in about a hundred years. We will be reaching for the closest star in less than two hundred years. It's in our nature to explore. That's a natural product of intelligence, and other intelligent beings from other star systems are the same way. It may be a thousand years of space travel technology to achieve worm hole capability, or maybe a million years, but it all is possible, and very probable. Just because we don't have that ability now doesn't mean that others have not had it for centuries.
  • swp StarWar... 2012/07/19 20:06:38
    swp
    My profile isn't relevant to this conversation. And of the two of us, I'm not the one with the strange sense of reality.

200 years ago there was evidence that man might some day fly. We call them birds. Clear evidence that things heavier than air can fly. Why do you think people tried to make the flying machines in the first place? Not to mention the fact that rockets existed far before that.

Reports of unidentified flying objects (e.g. foo fighters) are NOT evidence for extra terrestrial visitors. They are *by definition* UNIDENTIFED - I.e. NOT identified as being alien spacecraft!
    http://skeptoid.com/episode_g...
    Bringing them up yet again is not helping your argument.

You came up with theories that atomic bomb detonations called the aliens here... and they arrived in 2 years... from a world that was where exactly? The closest possibilities are farther than 2 light-years away. So you implied faster-than-light travel. Let's just say that wormholes are a mechanism for doing that. You then have to show me a wormhole somewhere nearby. They are theoretical and have never been observed. It is a good theory, but still not evidence.

It's like you don't even understand what evidence is.

The fact that we wish to explore space and will likely send man to another planet in this sol...

http://skeptoid.com/episode_g...

The fact that we wish to explore space and will likely send man to another planet in this solar system - again, not evidence for aliens.

The fact remains that so far everything presented as evidence for extra-terrestrial visitors has been either a hoax, has been explained by known phenomena that isn't extraterrestrial, or remains unexplained.. nothing has confirmed aliens visiting this planet, and the possibility of that having ever happened in our lifetime remains highly unlikely.
  • StarWar... swp 2012/07/20 06:51:30
    StarWarsBob
    While it is true that worm holes have not been discovered as of yet, black holes have been discovered, and they were a part of THEORY before they were known as scientific FACT. Most scientific facts are preceded by scientific theories .

I don't understand how you can be so narrow minded on the subject of alien intelligence. In my mind, anybody that doesn't believe that extraterrestrial intelligent beings exist belongs to the flat earth society, those with the absence of rational thought. An alien society that originated from a star system that was 20 or 30 light years away would have ample opportunity to visit earth in the past, especially if they have been traveling in space for a thousand years, or have a technology that is just a thousand years more advanced than our own. They may have outposts in space that are 10 trillion miles apart all the way back to their home star system. Think of a society of aliens that have been traversing space for a million years. They would have the opportunity to explore and visit tens of thousands of earth like planets and tens of thousands of other star systems.

I never implied faster than light space travel. You are making those erroneous assumptions. I believe that Einstein was correct, and that other scientists like Stephen Hawking and othe...

While it is true that worm holes have not been discovered as of yet, black holes have been discovered, and they were a part of THEORY before they were known as scientific FACT. Most scientific facts are preceded by scientific theories.

I never implied faster than light space travel. You are making those erroneous assumptions. I believe that Einstein was correct, and that other scientists like Stephen Hawking and others are also correct.

You seem to ignore basic logic. Mankind has been visiting space for 51 years, and for the last 25 years, or half that time we have had a PERMANENT PRESENCE of humans in space. It is highly likely that humans will continue to have a presence in space into the future, and the longer that time passes, the FURTHER AWAY humans will be traveling and living in space. A permanent moon base and a permanent Mars base is not that far off into our future. The logical conclusion is that someday man will visit another star system, and I believe that day would be about two hundred years away. We would first send robotic spacecraft to that system just as we are doing now to Mars and other planets. Space exploration for mankind is not going to stop, as long as our civilization continues to exist.

The Roswell incident of July 8th, 1947 WAS NOT A HOAX, and the Shag Harbor incident of October 4, 1967 was not a hoax either. There were too many credible witnesses for the incident to be a hoax, and the response from the Canadian and United States governments lends even more credibility that the incident was real. If you don't want to believe it, fine. Believe everything your government tells you and keep your blinders on.
  • swp StarWar... 2012/07/20 15:34:59
    swp
    And there are plenty of scientific theories that turn out to be wrong as well. That wormholes are a valid theory doesn't mean we have been visited by aliens.

I do believe in extraterrestrial life. I just don't believe any has visited this planet. I've made that clear several messages back.

You seem to ignore basic facts... Out precedes in space has been very limited to a small region around our own planet. The farthest we'e made it so far is our own moon.

Now lets assume we do continue to expand how far out we go... do you think if we got to another world with life we would leave no trace of being there? If aliens visited here it would be improbably that there would be no evidence. And there is no evidence.

The Roswell incident was not a hoax. It was a crashed military experiment - it's well documented. That there were witnesses that didn't know that they were seeing and jumped to the conclusion that it was space aliens is nothing more than amusing.

The Shag Harbour incident was not a hoax. It involved an *unidentified* flying object - NOT aliens. Simply because something is unknown does not lend any credence to a far-fetched alien visitation story. How can you make that leap in logic? Not knowing means not knowing. It doesn't mean you know it is aliens.

How is it that t...

How is it that these aliens have amazing tech that lets them reach us, yet they always seem to crash, leave no trace, and never actually communicate in any way that leaves a shred of evidence? It's absurd and highly improbable.
  • StarWar... swp 2012/07/21 04:49:48
    StarWarsBob
    Your logic is what is improbable. As far as I know, there has only been one crash of a UFO, in Roswell.
    My friend's Grandfathers friend found the crash, found the still breathing alien, and it was not of this world. When retired NASA astronauts come out and admit that aliens are real, I tend to believe them. I was told about specific details of the Roswell crash in 1967 that have not been publicized in the media, which is why I believe it to be true. The military didn't even know that anything had crashed until they were told by the farmer that found the crash. Then they swept in and gathered the three alien bodies, all the debris, and then threatened with arrest those that had knowledge of the incident to not talk about it to the press or anybody. That is why the Roswell incident was the "secret" that most in the town knew about. My friend was letting me in on the secret, just as I was telling him about military hardware deployed in Germany in the 60's that I had knowledge about.

The Shag Harbor incident was a UFO that was seen plunging into the sea. It was assumed to be a crashed aircraft seen by dozens of people, including military personal, and a search for survivors was undertaken. It was determined there was no missing aircraft the next day. Then the US Navy got involved, ...

The Shag Harbor incident was a UFO that was seen plunging into the sea. It was assumed to be a crashed aircraft seen by dozens of people, including military personal, and a search for survivors was undertaken. It was determined there was no missing aircraft the next day. Then the US Navy got involved, and they followed this crafts movements underwater for several days. One of the Navy divers saw the craft up close, and he had said off the record that it was not of this earth. He, along with all other military personal are ordered to not discuss the subject, just like the military personal involved with the Roswell crash were ordered. Just like the pilots that saw the foo fighters in world war II. Just like the military personal on the USS Curtiss that was carrying nuclear weapons for a test in the Pacific that was buzzed by a UFO in 1948.

Like I said before, the US government has been actively covering up any and all UFO information. They have good reasons for doing so. It's in the governments interest to keep religion alive and well in this country. If they came out and admitted that aliens are real and they have the evidence of it, that would be a huge blow for religion in this country. It would throw out some of the basic principles of the Bible. The "God made man in his own image" verses would be disputed with scientific facts. The reality is that if an asteroid didn't hit the earth 65 million years ago, mankind would have never got its start on this planet, and dinosaurs would still be the dominate species on this earth.
  • swp StarWar... 2012/07/23 19:14:38
    swp
    You don't need stories of aliens to dispute the nonsense of religion. And if you did have evidence of aliens (you still don't btw, you have anecdotes at best) it wouldn't turn anyone from religion at all. They didn't use logic to become religious, they used faith. As long as they continue to base their beliefs on faith, you will have a hard time reasoning them out of it, regardless of your evidence. See the evolution deniers and how well solid evidence works against them.

No, there is no reason for the government to cover it up, and if alien visitations were real there would be no way they could accomplish it anyway. Or do you think the Men In Black is something more than science fiction?
  • StarWar... swp 2012/07/25 04:47:24
    StarWarsBob
    No, the men in black was from a movie. I get that. But the number of sightings of UFO's, especially around US nuclear weapons installations is astounding. There have been UFO sightings in Britain and Germany around US nuclear weapons storage facilities. Even President Eisenhower, when he was a general in Europe observed a UFO. The US and Britain has agreed to cover up all UFO activity.

While this is pure speculation, some believe that the moon has an under surface base for UFO's. There have been moon quakes for decades, although NASA stopped recording them in 1977. Between 1972 and 1977, there were 28 moon quakes recorded. The largest moon quake recorded between 1969 and 1977 was 5.5 on the Richter scale, and lasted for up to an hour. Earthquakes are easily explained, but moon quakes not so much. Small quakes can be meteor hits on the surface, or the surface expansion from the heat of the sun hitting it, but those are in the .5 to 1.0 range of the Richter scale. The larger quakes have not been explained as of yet. And there is much rumors about why NASA sent a missile to crash into the moon in October, 2009. The official explanation was to search for frozen water at the bottom of craters, but there seems to be much more to the story than that.
  • Haley 2012/06/28 06:21:04
    No, I don't
    Haley
    I don't believe any UFOs are alien spaceships, but there probably is alien life out there. It's possible we'll never have any contact with extraterrestrials; the universe is a big place :(
  • Crime Time 2012/06/28 06:15:51
  • BoJay 2012/06/28 06:10:52
    Yes, I do
    BoJay
    +2
    I don't except the notion that we are the only ones in the universe.
    Buggs Bunny and Marvin Marshin
    UFO
  • YFN 2012/06/28 06:10:29
    Yes, I do
    YFN
    +2
    I was born in one.
  • Michael... YFN 2012/06/28 07:01:57
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    me too.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/06/28 06:00:25
    No, I don't
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    Not even a little bit.
  • steven 2012/06/28 05:58:44
    Yes, I do
    steven
    +1
    Have seen one, with a friend. We watched it hover, pulsate in brilliance for several minutes and then seem to evaporate into thin air..
  • stevmackey 2012/06/28 05:54:14
    Yes, I do
    stevmackey
    +2
    There are more stars that can be counted. It would be childish to think that we are alone in the universe.
  • dvd 2012/06/28 05:44:40
  • MR. 2012/06/28 05:44:38
    Yes, I do
    MR.
    +2
    God alone, will have to explain "the reason" for their existence!
  • swp MR. 2012/06/28 17:35:30
    swp
    Well, Him or the Easter Bunny.
  • MR. swp 2012/06/29 03:30:55
    MR.
    ...another God hater or just an idle worshipper! (you make the call!)
  • swp MR. 2012/07/03 02:45:31
    swp
    Don't be silly. Worshiping idols is just plain stupid. (so is having imaginary friends as an adult, but hey, that's what religion does to people.)
  • MR. swp 2012/07/03 15:54:04
    MR.
    You can tell to the Heavely Judge one day! (Oh' I'm sorry, you WILL be telling it to Heavenly Judge one day,...get ready!) -*Hebrews 9;27-
  • swp MR. 2012/07/04 17:49:28
    swp
    Which heavenly judge? Zeus? Odin? Mithra? Yahweh? All are equally likely.
  • MR. swp 2012/07/04 19:31:37
    MR.
    *READ THE HOLY BIBLE, A LITTLE BIT SLOWER AND A LITTLE MORE OFTEN. *(NO ONE GETS A PASS,...NOT IN THIS LIFE!)
  • swp MR. 2012/07/06 11:52:21
    swp
    Why would I read the bible over any other religious text? What makes it true other than your say so? It's self contradictory and full of obvious falsehoods, blatant evil (the dude doing most of the killing is your god), horrible injustices (god kills children for making fun of someone's baldness, orders fathers to kill their sons..), etc. You need to read it a little more slowly it seems, 'cause you're missing all the bits that make it the disgusting and ridiculous story that it is.
    Go ahead, read the bible, but don't pick and choose which parts you want to ignore and which you want to follow. If you do that honestly and are still a Christian by the end I would be surprised.
  • MR. swp 2012/07/06 18:42:41
    MR.
    God knows our hearts,... whether they be true of false.
  • swp MR. 2012/07/09 15:05:19
    swp
    Which god? How do you know? Can you prove it?
  • JJ 2012/06/28 05:29:08
    Yes, I do
    JJ
    I do. I saw one when I was a kid, in fact at that time, our whole neighborhood saw one at the same time. It was cigar shaped.
  • nightcrawler2005 2012/06/28 05:23:24
    Yes, I do
    nightcrawler2005
    +1
    Naturally everyone should believe in UFO's. That's because UFO is Unidentified Flying Object. It doesn't mean their aliens from another world it just means nobody can identify what the sighting is.
  • Silent Bob 2012/06/28 05:15:12
    Yes, I do
    Silent Bob
    I've seen one with my own too eyes. I was sitting with my brother in Illinois on our old rickety table eating a kid's cuisine and this floating ship thing oreo whatever flew by. I will never forget that night.
    The kid's cuisine wasn't cooked all the way through.
  • evangelism_vision 2012/06/28 04:53:50
    No, I don't
    evangelism_vision
    +2
    I do not believe in space ships from other Planets

HOWEVER I do believe that AREA 51 is developing that technology out there and that I believe that they have had it for years.

Hitler had developed that technology months before it was destroyed by the British in a raid over Berlin around 1943
  • evangel... evangel... 2012/06/28 04:54:58
  • nightcr... evangel... 2012/06/28 20:42:49
    nightcrawler2005
    You'll love the movie 'Iron Sky' about NAZI's attacking Earth from the moon. It's hilarious.
  • Not what you think 2012/06/28 04:53:10
  • Eric Ward 2012/06/28 04:38:08
    Yes, I do
    Eric Ward
    +1
    Yes i believe in them but i don't believe they come from another planet... i asked a similar question a while back http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

2014/04/25 08:30:47