Do you believe in merit?

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/04/29 00:54:13
Yes, I believe in reward for hard work...
No, I believe in equalizing outcomes...
Very simple question.....do you believe in merit?

• Reichstolz 2012/04/29 01:17:48
    Reichstolz
    +8
    Granted the thought of gaining from it is lost in the country thanks to recent generations.

• Texas Gal 2012/05/12 17:29:43
    Texas Gal
    +1
    I definitely believe in it, but it doesn't usually go that way.
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2012/05/11 18:06:20
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    now I have to ask....is this a trick question!?!?!?! ;)
  • Gracie ... Charu ∞... 2012/05/12 02:47:23
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    No, but if you look through it you'll see that liberals avoided it like the plague! LOL!
  • Charu ∞... Gracie ... 2012/05/12 03:00:01
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    LOL....yes I see that you are right.....not a bluelight in sight...hehehe
  • Gracie ... Charu ∞... 2012/05/12 03:04:03
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I posted it because I thought maybe some of them would bite and try to say that it wasn't important but I guess they couldn't come up with anything. Surely they don't believe in merit but I guess they can't admit it?
  • Charu ∞... Gracie ... 2012/05/12 07:33:45
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    Me thinks your right...the reason being...if they work and they work their butt off and Joe Blow next to them does as little as they can get away they would go ballistic if he got the same bonus they did.
  • Denis B 2012/05/11 15:37:03 (edited)
    Denis B
    +3
    Life isn't fair. There is nothing wrong with asking for fairness. For each to be compensated according to his ability is fair. I have witnessed individuals maintaining multi generational grudges for not being rewarded according to their perceived merit and their being allowed to earn a living in their respective societies.Sometimes, what is merited is not given. There are a number of intrinsic and extrinsic motivations for this occurrence. When the merit system doesn't work there is always divine justice. Divine justice balances everything out in the long run. Divine Justice
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/05/11 10:10:55
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +2
    The cigarettes or the badges?
    Merit is just recognization of a deed well done or another word for praise
    +3
    YES ..
    work hard .. show you are capable .. you should be rewarded ..
  • Republican Ladder 2012/05/01 21:56:35
    Republican Ladder
    +2
    To make a long story short, I compare it to a story and a blonde. If you work real hard and put together a flawless game plan to conccur her happiness, then u deserve the merit of succes.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/04/30 00:49:32
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +4
    Yes, I believe in rewarding merit and hard work. I believe further that people who have earned something through merit and hard work should be allowed, but not obligated to help those who are needy whether it is their fault or not. I believe most people, even those with limited means will want to help the needy if they can and if the needy aren't continuing down a path of self-destruction.
  • cynsity 2012/04/29 21:03:13
    cynsity
    +3
    well I do and I don't... I mean I am more about rewarding results... I see a great many people who work hard but achieve nothing while many people work smart and do much.

So if we equate merrit and results then sure...
  • Gracie ... cynsity 2012/04/29 22:04:28
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    Yes, I am talking about real meaningful merit where the outcome is success.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/04/29 16:02:00
  • Gracie ... mk, Sma... 2012/04/29 16:09:08
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    That's exactly what happens at my job...people work hard to not work. I tried to go slow a few times and it was torture! So, I just realized that I'd work at my pace and not worry about the rest of the losers!
  • mk, Sma... Gracie ... 2012/04/29 16:11:54
  • Uranos7 Gracie ... 2012/05/11 18:09:39
    Uranos7
    +2
    Ah but if you work at your pace and thiers is slower the boss will assign some of thier work to you to get it done. Then will chastize you because they get done first. ;}
  • kmay 2012/04/29 14:48:46
    kmay
    +3
    Fair is the promise of opportunity NOT the equality of results!
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/04/29 14:41:36
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +3
    That is the foundation of the American way of life.
  • IndyLinda 2012/04/29 14:38:19
    IndyLinda
    +3
    Why reward laziness or incompetence? Anything other than a merit/performance basis is enabling the drones, the shiftless, the users and the pickpockets.
  • Waldorf 2012/04/29 13:56:03
    Waldorf
    +1
    Pardon me if I find this to be a leading question. Now ask me if I believe in segregation of cultures and races (and their relative "merits"). Everyone of every sort is naturally more comfortable when living among and governed by their own kind. That includes those known as minorities. The only real motive to live among and tear down majority white people is to become or remain parasites of those more likely to be achievers. Hooray for the exceptions, but one will always identify ultimately as non-white unless entirely white.
  • ray 2012/04/29 11:58:12
    ray
    +3
    Whiners ?
    Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.
    George Washington Carver

Worthless College Degrees as veneer ?
    There is no short cut to achievement. Life requires thorough preparation - veneer isn't worth anything.
    George Washington Carver
  • Gracie ... ray 2012/04/29 15:00:28
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    I was just reading yesterday about the differences in attitudes of GW Carver and BT Washington the the elitist WEB Dubois. Carver and Washington tried to raise their people up by improving them and Dubois thought only the elite 10% could succeed and that the others should be taken care of as is. I think we still see that mindset.
  • ray Gracie ... 2012/04/29 15:12:56
    ray
    +2
    These figures are not taught in schools , at best the are passed over summarily.
    Carver was a brilliant scientist , did exceedingly well for himself . Was a firm proponent of the individual and merit .

Doesn't quite fit the Progressive / Liberal stereotype of Antebellum blacks does it ?
  • Todd~AFCL 2012/04/29 08:39:00
    Todd~AFCL
    +5
    If people were honest about, they would realize that judging on merit is the only real way to create the incentive to succeed. Anything else just encourages mediocrity.
  • Gracie ... Todd~AFCL 2012/04/29 15:00:59
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    It's the disease that has destroyed our educational system.
  • Xed0 2012/04/29 07:47:11
    Xed0
    +5
    The ant and the Grasshopper is a story we should be cramming down liberal ears.
  • Gracie ... Xed0 2012/04/29 15:01:39
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I just read that story again the other day....that is something that should be preached to our children.
  • Xed0 Gracie ... 2012/05/06 08:29:31
    Xed0
    +3
    Aesop was a brilliant man, I have a book with several of his fables.
  • redhorse29 2012/04/29 06:03:32
    redhorse29
  • Theresa 2012/04/29 03:35:25
    Theresa
    +6
    Merit is the only stand we have if someone is doing a good job. The results!
  • Radical 1s1am1st 2012/04/29 02:25:47
    Radical 1s1am1st
    +2
    It does not really work like that in the real world. You have entrenched management in large corporations who promote friends and family or people who are useless and will not out shine them and make them look incompetent. If you work hard and do a good job and know your work then you will get praise from your immediate supervisor and you will be the "go to person" but you have little chance of getting promoted because you make your boss look good and as long as you make your boss look good, you are not going anywhere unless your boss gets promoted and takes you with them. Your ideas will get implemented but under your Bosses name and the boss gets the credit and money.
    The rule is, If something good happens then it was management's plan all along but if something bad happens then the workers own it and should not have done it without consulting their bosses.
    This is the reason when I retired I started my own business. I am doing pretty well now due to lessons I learned from working 30 years for a company just like I described. I have 6 full time and 3 part time employees who are 80% veterans and whose opinions I listen to and award financially when used. I know my business profile is in the minority because I do not need to work because I could live nicely off my retirement.
  • Gracie ... Radical... 2012/04/29 15:04:07
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I never said that we were on a merit system, only that we should be. I work in an environment where the ONLY thing that counts is seniority. In fact, if you work harder you get more work and if you do less, you establish that as your "demonstrated ability" and it's accepted.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/04/29 01:52:48
    Sgt Major B
    +7
    Anything else breeds mediocrity.
  • pbunny 2012/04/29 01:49:46
    pbunny
    +6
    I love working hard long hours to run my business. It's what I choose to do. If someone has more than I do, GOOD FOR THEM!!!!
  • D D 2012/04/29 01:48:50
    D D
    +6
    I watched the Apprentice TV show and it was about Trumps new cologne. The challenge was to make a store display for it. One team used the strap line "Because you earned it". Well, that was not liked at all. Yeah, because the idea of earning something is not politically correct. Everyone is one the same level. If you are on a team you all get a trophy. It is this crazy liberal progressive crap.
  • seadog6608PWCM 2012/04/29 01:42:40
  • Dagon 2012/04/29 01:18:25
  • Reichstolz 2012/04/29 01:17:48
    Reichstolz
    +8
  • draconiaregina 2012/04/29 01:15:50
    draconiaregina
    +6
    But there are others (Dear Leader at the top of the list.LOL)who, would almost like a world described in a Kurt Vonnagaut book, ballarinas would have to wear cinder blocks on their ankles, runners would have their knee-caps broken, geniuses lobotimised so EVERYONE was equal, we have a softer version of that now, you know EVERY team, gets a trophy, every kid a ribbon, and so forth so that actually the ethic to work hard and succeed has been so cheapened and watered down and to top it all off, if you do succeed Dear Leader and his minions will make you pay dearly and will do their best to punish you for all of your effort. Otherwise how to kill what made America great 101!

2014/11/27 10:46:44