Do you agree with the following statement as written?

Rusty Shackleford 2012/06/16 02:24:48
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

• Striker 2012/06/16 02:32:13
    I want to give a wishy-washy answer and try to sound intelligent at the same ...
    Striker
    +11
    Yes I agree with that statement, although whom or what it was "endowed by..." remains questionable. It seems that the Right to Life is the essence of our continuing existence.

And this is why I will resist forever the stupid marxist slant that "the greater good" is more important than you or I are.

• Tuna 2012/06/16 17:08:51
    Yes, I agree with that statment as writtten.
    Tuna
    +2
    NOTE:: the "pursuit" of happiness; nowhere does it say guaranteed; it's up to YOU to pursue it, not the Government to get it for you. dumb masses
  • David Lindner 2012/06/16 16:24:45
    David Lindner
    +2
    ofcourse the liberals disagree with it
  • Seonag 2012/06/16 15:49:49
    Seonag
    +2
    Notice it doesn't say the right to a cell phone, home ownership, or anything else that the socialists feel are rights. If you want those things, you have the right and the liberty to pursue them legally. It's up to you to do the work not the government to give them to you!
  • Brat 2012/06/16 15:13:31
    Brat
    +1
    Absolutely! We have a right to live, we may have to fight for liberty and one should always be able to pursue happiness. You may not always find it but you can try.
  • GINGERBREAD 2012/06/16 14:03:47
    GINGERBREAD
    +2
    I agree whole heartedly with that statement. However, there are people that think that pursuit of happiness, means that the happiness or the pursuit of it is guaranteed. This is what this modern day argument is about. This government says, "YOU'VE FAILED IN YOUR PURSUIT? THAT"S OKAY, WE'LL JUST TAKE MONEY FROM SOMEBODY THAT SUCCEEDED, THAT SHOULD EQUALIZE EVERYBODY"
  • Tuna GINGERB... 2012/06/16 17:10:24 (edited)
    Tuna
    +1
    You took the words right out of my mouth; I should have read down first, then posted. Like minds, I guess.
  • apachehellfire65 2012/06/16 13:48:50
    apachehellfire65
    +1
    whats to disagree with?
  • Rusty S... apacheh... 2012/06/16 14:36:05
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    Some people believe their rights come from government.
  • Tuna Rusty S... 2012/06/16 17:12:11
    Tuna
    +1
    Those same people probably think the Federal government created the States and their rights instead of vice versa. Sad day when we have constitutionally illiterate citizens.
  • ChrisK1969 2012/06/16 12:55:58
  • Hawkeye ChrisK1969 2012/06/16 16:14:19
    Hawkeye
    +1
    YOU speak of those as they turned out to be and to that extent I agree with you but remember,, the only reason you'd respect the industrious person more then the lazy one is because they started out as EQUALS and moved in the directions they chose..

The phrase under question here is "Created Equal"
  • Yes, I agree with that statment as writtten.
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    +2
    Inspired men and women created this great NOTION OF A COUNTRY when all over the world at the time most were under tyranny of sort...so YES WITHOUT A DOUBT...
  • Hawkeye 2012/06/16 12:02:45
    Hawkeye
    +3
    Remember.. THIS is a Declaration of Independence to a KING,, NOT a mandate from GOD.. It is as much a rejection of tyranny by man as it is a declaration of Freedom and Independence from that man..

The right to life does NOT portend an immunity from Death.. The right to Liberty does not ESTABLISH that Liberty and the right to Happiness ( or Property ) does NOT guarantee the possession of it..

WE are talking about the ideals and principles given and established to one who was the product of a long established traditional belief that holds him above ALL others by divine right.. One who by those SAME traditions had a divine RIGHT to deprive other men of these rights..

Those Ideals are directly in contradiction to those traditions of a KING.. They not ONLY freed US.. they CHALLENGED him and the very society that spawned him

To speak to a KING as an EQUAL is beyond the scope of ALL that his culture held sacrosanct.. THIS is so even today.. The very concept of these ideals are a DIRECT contradiction to his very reason for existence..

Do I believe these words?? ABSOLUTELY!!

The Ideals of which these words refer are NOT the end all to the promise of Freedom and Liberty that has been the foundation of this Great Nation.. They are merely the beginning..

Nor have those Ideals ALW...

Do I believe these words?? ABSOLUTELY!!

Nor have those Ideals ALWAYS been followed for ALL at ALL times but these words are never MORE important and NEVER more necessary then when THIS nation does NOT live UP to them..

We’re not perfect nor shall we ever BE perfect but these ideas and ideals don’t speak of perfection..

They speak of all the attempts to achieve it.. The QUEST for it.. The YEARNING for it..

As long as THESE words are our GOAL,, our Beacon of Hope,, the dream of America and her Freedoms and Liberties shall NEVER perish from this world..
  • Rusty S... Hawkeye 2012/06/16 12:07:58
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    There are many today that believe it improper to speak to 0bama as an equal.
  • Hawkeye Rusty S... 2012/06/16 12:14:36
    Hawkeye
    +1
    As an President he should ALWAYS be treated with the respect due to the position he holds.. Likewise,, he should always treat the American people with the respect due to those he SERVES..
  • Rusty S... Hawkeye 2012/06/16 12:22:27
    Rusty Shackleford
    +2
    Respect? Yes. Reverence? No.

I assure you that 0bama does not consider himself my equal.
  • ChrisK1969 Hawkeye 2012/06/16 12:58:03
  • Rusty S... ChrisK1969 2012/06/16 13:22:01
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I was only referring to respect for the office, not the manchild.
  • Hawkeye ChrisK1969 2012/06/16 13:49:47
    Hawkeye
    +1
    No.. NOT as an individual.. He should be treated with the exact degree of respect that he holds for others and I am of the belief that he has NEVER been one to be known for that..

I also do not believe that he holds the office of the Presidency in much regard..

I believe that he views the U.S. of A. through the eyes of the Black Militant ovement that he holds so dear.. One expoused by his GOOD friend and 20 year long Mentor,, Jerimiah Wright..

Look at it THIS way.. AS a decent person you have no love for the KKK.. Would you feel any better about it if they made you the top dog?? Would you have any more respect for the KKK or the position you're holding???

No.. of COURSE not.. Well.. If you have been paying ANY attention to the Militant Black Movement for the past 40 to 50 years,, then you'll already KNOW that they look upon this country as nothing more and nothing less then one BIG KKK nation..

THAT'S why they insist on having a nation of their own..
  • Tuna Hawkeye 2012/06/16 17:15:11
    Tuna
    +1
    Slick Willie changed all of that; he single handedly (along with Hillary) destroyed the prestige that goes with POTUS. We can't get good qualified business leaders to enter the arena now.
  • Hawkeye Tuna 2012/06/16 18:18:28
    Hawkeye
    +1
    A LOT of truth there...
  • susan Hawkeye 2012/06/16 14:22:04
    susan
    Bravo! Well said.
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/06/16 11:58:50
    No, I disagree with that statement as written.
    Guru_T_Firefly
    Except for the creator part.
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/16 12:06:50
    Rusty Shackleford
    That is the heart of the statement.
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/16 17:12:13
    Guru_T_Firefly
    Not really.
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/16 18:38:27
    Rusty Shackleford
    I contend that the whole meaning of that statement is to say that our rights come from our Creator, NOT government.

I would love to hear your interpretation. Not the meaning that you WANT it to be, please tell me what you think that statement meas as it is written.
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/17 14:17:51
    Guru_T_Firefly
    I contend that there is no creator. Our rights come from and are guaranteed by the Constitution. Imaginary deities have nothing to do with it.
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/17 14:28:35
    Rusty Shackleford
    The Constitution doesn't grant you any rights.

If you really believe that it does, please explain the meaning of the 9th Amendment and how rights could be retained by the people.
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/17 15:11:48
    Guru_T_Firefly
    I disagree.
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/17 15:12:38
    Rusty Shackleford
    With the 9th Amendment?
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/21 11:54:17
    Guru_T_Firefly
    No, with your overly-confused interpretation of it.
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/21 11:56:21
    Rusty Shackleford
    Would you care to share you interpretation of the 9th Amendment?
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/21 11:59:51
    Guru_T_Firefly
    My interpretation doesn't require a deity.
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/21 16:50:23
    Rusty Shackleford
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/21 16:52:30
    Guru_T_Firefly
    There's no truth to that whatsoever. But, you already know that, don't you?
  • Rusty S... Guru_T_... 2012/06/21 16:55:57
    Rusty Shackleford
    Hmmm, so I could either agree with you on this subject or agree with John Adams.

While I am quite sure you know more about the Constitution than Adams, I think I gonna go with him anyway.
  • Guru_T_... Rusty S... 2012/06/25 12:22:27
    Guru_T_Firefly
    You clearly have no idea what John Adams thought or how much of what he thought went into the Constitution. You've never spoken to him.
  • 4gotten Israelite 2012/06/16 11:53:55
    4gotten Israelite
    +1
    I believe in the bible more than I believe what comes out of mans mouth. We were all created in the image of God, so we all have the right to be happy. Unfortunately the devil got his hand in all this too But that's ok, because one day those on top will be on the bottom and those on the bottom will be back on top.
  • Mark P. 2012/06/16 11:44:51
    Mark P.
  • PrettyGurl18 2012/06/16 09:28:02
    PrettyGurl18
    no, that's a joke. we only have the rights the government feels like giving us because we won't stand up for each other.

2014/07/30 21:20:51