Do you agree with the following statement as written?

Rusty Shackleford 2012/06/16 02:24:48
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

• Striker 2012/06/16 02:32:13
    I want to give a wishy-washy answer and try to sound intelligent at the same ...
    Striker
    +11
    Yes I agree with that statement, although whom or what it was "endowed by..." remains questionable. It seems that the Right to Life is the essence of our continuing existence.

And this is why I will resist forever the stupid marxist slant that "the greater good" is more important than you or I are.

• Lydecho Rain (Лидия) 2012/07/15 23:02:44 (edited)
    No, I disagree with that statement as written.
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    No one is born with any rights. They have to earn them. And also humans are the worst animal. And, there is no creator.
  • Rusty S... Lydecho... 2012/07/16 07:14:20
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    You must be happy in Russia.
  • Aahz_OneAndOnly 2012/06/18 03:56:27
    Yes, I agree with that statment as writtten.
    Aahz_OneAndOnly
    +1

When you get angry enough, grab your weapon, run outside and wait five minutes. If you're the only one, It's not time yet.
    ~Aahz_OneAndOnly

Enough said!
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/17 17:53:57
    ehrhornp
    +1
    This is basic to traditional American principles.
  • Prophet 2012/06/17 07:02:34
    Prophet
    +1
    Does this statement also apply to those young Americans waiting to be born? I would certainly hope so.
  • Rusty S... Prophet 2012/06/17 10:36:49
    Rusty Shackleford
    If you are endowed with the right to life by your Creator, isn't it logical to assume that endowment takes place at the moment of creation?
  • James 2012/06/17 02:14:26
    James
    +2
    Only a true libertarian would agree.
  • Walter Harris 2012/06/16 21:57:46
    Walter Harris
    +2
    I agree with it but congress does not
  • Jayne 2012/06/16 21:47:47
    Jayne
    +1
    To say that our unalienable rights came from god is wrong in so many ways. If they came from god how could anyone take them away? If you think you have any rights you are wrong. We have privilages not rights. Look what happened to our Japanese American citizens during WWII.
  • Rusty S... Jayne 2012/06/16 22:25:15
    Rusty Shackleford
    Based on your comments here, I'm gonna bet you vote democrat.
  • Jayne Rusty S... 2012/06/17 00:00:48
    Jayne
    I was a Republican all my voting life until the second term of GW. I changed parties to Democrat after that performance. I don't really vote straight party ticket. So yes, right now I am voting mainly Democratic and the reason is that the Republicans have move so far out in left field that to hear their BS would make me sick. In essence the Republican party is forcing my vote to be Democratic.
  • ruthann... Jayne 2012/06/17 20:02:04
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    You would actually stick us with Barack Obama just to keep from hearing Republican BS? The man is ruining our country, destroying what America stands for, plans on leveling our economy, defense system, our very core being so that we can become the United States of Europe, and you are going to vote for him anyway? No, ma'am, you were never a Republican.
  • actionjksn Jayne 2012/06/18 16:26:22
    actionjksn
    +2
    Hows that working out for ya? Unfortunately even though they talk a lot different there isn't much difference in what you get. I have a secret for you, the two party's only act like they hate each other. With "act" being the key word here. This is why they both work very hard to make sure that 3rd party's are ignored and discredited as much as possible. They don't want their gravy train disturbed. And now we even have a president that pretty much hates this country and wants to move it as close as possible to outright communism. I will admit as I always have that George Bush was a really horrible president. But look what we're getting now. He complained about the Patriot Act and then he gives us the NDAA. Our Constitution and Bill Of Rights were put in place to protect US from our government. And now him Obama and Bush have both taken a piss on them. And as bad as The Patriot Act is, the NDAA is even worse.
  • Tennessean 2012/06/16 20:49:19
    Tennessean
    +2
    Also let us not forget the next sentence, "That to secure these Rights, Governemnts are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent, that whenever any Form of Governemnt becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, lsying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Hapiness."
  • Maci 2012/06/16 20:36:18
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/16 20:52:22
    Tennessean
    +1
    Conservatives do agree with that statement as writen, and understand that governments are instituted to uphold those individual rights, not to control their lives.
  • Maci Tennessean 2012/06/16 20:53:58
  • Rusty S... Maci 2012/06/16 22:27:25
    Rusty Shackleford
    Look at the stats for just this poll, it is people that identify themselves as progressives and liberals that overwhelmingly disagree with the statement.
  • Maci Rusty S... 2012/06/16 22:43:31
  • Rusty S... Maci 2012/06/16 22:45:30
    Rusty Shackleford
    No it's not, and they believe that their rights come from government.
  • Maci Rusty S... 2012/06/16 22:46:27
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/17 00:52:14 (edited)
    Tennessean
    +1
    Maybe you can explain exactly which rights are denied Muslims or Socialists.

Also why should Capitalist, who believe in control of the economy by individual households and privately owned business, treat Socialists, who believe in public or community ownership of productive property, treat Socialists as anything other than enemies of the state when their views of government are so radically different?

Muslims may or may not be conservatives, because that is a religion, not a political position, just a prostants, or members of any other religion.

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
    Thomas Jefferson
  • Maci Tennessean 2012/06/17 00:54:37
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/17 01:22:34
    Tennessean
    +1
    Do you believe that may be because the terrorist groups that declared war on us were all muslims, or do you not think that has anything to do with it?

Not to mention that all of the killing of our troops in the mid-east has been done by muslim terrorist groups.
  • Maci Tennessean 2012/06/17 01:28:09
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/17 01:35:37
    Tennessean
    +1
    I thought you posted that bills were introdued to investigate, not punish, muslims, and I do not believe there was any bill to imprison them.

If you do not believe that muslim terrorist groups have cells in this country, you must have been living under a rock, so that is probably the reason for the investigations..
  • Maci Tennessean 2012/06/17 01:37:23
  • Rusty S... Maci 2012/06/17 02:01:33
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    "I hate Islam very much, but I don't support bigotry."
    LOL, you are such a moron.
  • Maci Rusty S... 2012/06/17 02:21:14
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/17 14:39:39
    Tennessean
    Terrorist groups of all religions are investigated daily to help prevent futher attacks against innocent people.
  • Maci Tennessean 2012/06/17 15:19:52 (edited)
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/17 17:41:20
    Tennessean
    +1
    Just for the record, members of the KKK claim to be christians and they along with other groups that claim to be christians,such as the aryan brotherhood are also investigated by the FBI and other governemnt organizations.

Granted the government has no right to tap anyones phone, or have their home searched without probable cause, and I have spoken out against these practices, along with al the other government invasions of our privacy.

Investigations can be undertaken, and carried out, without violating the rights of the individual, but when those rights are violated I agree that it is unconstitutional.

If it was a group of skin heads that declared war on us, I believe that would be reason to investigate skin heads, just as it was muslims that declared war on us, leads us to investigate muslims.

Anyone that witnessed the muslims rejocing in the streets when we were attack on 9-11, can not but remember it, and right or wrong, it influences our opinion of them, as a group.

You will have to admit that some of the muslim organizations that received donations from American muslims gave aid to the very terrorist that had attack us, so investigating them should not be a surprise.

There was a time when muslims respected jews and christians as brothers of the book, but today there exists a ...

There was a time when muslims respected jews and christians as brothers of the book, but today there exists a very different view of them, and they are targeted by muslim suicide bombers.

I totally agree with old Ben's statement, and have quoted it many times.
  • Tennessean Maci 2012/06/17 01:13:05 (edited)
    Tennessean
    +1
    If you would just read the words, it states that all men were created equal, not that they will stay that way, because different people have done different things in life. Some have led very good honest lives, while others have murdered, stolen, lied, and etc. so they are no longer equal, exept maybe in the eyes of God, but certainly not in the eyes of man.

Our government was created to protect our individual rights, although they have not done a very good job of it.
  • Roger47 2012/06/16 19:35:56
    Roger47
    +1
    As originally written, it read "Pursuit of wealth." But our founders thought that wealth should have its limits, so changed the language. They would be appalled at the country's current income disparity.
  • Walter ... Roger47 2012/06/16 22:02:02
    Walter Harris
    I agree, greed was not what they had in mind
  • Snow 2012/06/16 19:07:40
    Snow
    "By their Creator"? Seeing as I don't believe in a creator-- though I do agree with everything else written-- I have to disagree with it, AS WRITTEN.
  • Rusty S... Snow 2012/06/16 19:10:50
    Rusty Shackleford
    From who, what or where were you endowed with your right to life?
  • Arch Stanton 2012/06/16 18:57:40
    Arch Stanton
  • Rusty S... Arch St... 2012/06/16 19:08:56
    Rusty Shackleford
    Weren't you buried on Sad Hill?
    Strange, but the idea of a God being involved while vewery evident here also is ignored by a certain segment of Lawyers as a "figure of Speech" in the Pre-amb.

2014/04/20 13:43:39