Do you agree with the ban of the pit bull breed in Miami-Dade?

SOiTV 2012/08/15 19:08:53
Related Topics: Miami, Pit Bull, Pit

• Lovita 2012/08/22 06:05:09
    Lovita
    Pitt Bulls are abused, trained to fight, become dangerous and then have to be put down.
    When my late brother-in-law's Pitt Bull-Chow dog bit me, the ER doctor said the mix is a bad one and it the dog bit once, it'll bite again.
    This dog was taken from his mom too early, never learned to socialize with other dogs or people. My sister and her husband spent over a thousand dollars to have a behavior specialist work with this dog, and the trainer just gave up. This dog was NEVER abused by my sister, her husband or their adult children, or me! I was just trying to give him a biscuit and he grabbed my wrist and would not let go. I still have my hand.
  • Dynasty Fighter 2012/08/21 13:26:09
    Dynasty Fighter
    i hate pitbulls they should ban them and i dont give a damn what people say about my opinion and thats how i feel
  • JohnnyRudick 2012/08/18 02:51:50
    JohnnyRudick
    Yes I do.
    Maybe it will help stop or slow down the breeding of this type of dog.
    it is not fair to the dogs nor to who ever must try to find homes for them.
  • gidianedwards97 2012/08/17 19:45:46
    I don't know
    gidianedwards97
    +1
    further study is needed , to find out what seems to the problem
  • john.keenan.792 2012/08/17 19:41:04
    john.keenan.792
    +1
    not sure of the inns and outs of this but i think the overall reason behind a viscious dog is how the owner drills and conditions that dog from a pup not the dog's fault at all its the owner who makes a dog bad, so in this aspect no i think its a bad thing to ban a dog
  • Jaroslav Dantes 2012/08/17 18:29:45
    Jaroslav Dantes
    +1
    if the dog behaves like a sociopath, it does not have exclusive right to further praise, but directly to the hospital or send a warship mission to Mars.
  • Dawn 2012/08/17 01:47:28
    Dawn
    +1
    To say a pitbull or any other breed attacked based solely because of it's breed and not because it was starved beaten and or trained to be vicious is like saying a black person committed a crime not because they were poor or abused as a child or had a mental illness but simply because of their skin color. Anyone who says yes would want to ban them too if it wasn't 'politically incorrect' to say.

It's simply ignorant to think something that way less than 1% of a genetic difference will cause an entire breed or race to be different from the rest of the species. It only sounds worse when you apply it to people.
  • Jarosla... Dawn 2012/08/17 18:25:19
    Jaroslav Dantes
    issues in this writes only about pitbull, and other breed is not speech.
  • Dawn Jarosla... 2012/08/17 21:04:37
    Dawn
    +1
    Um sorry could you rephrase that?
  • JohnnyR... Dawn 2012/08/18 02:54:16
    JohnnyRudick
    Yeah, for me as well.
  • Dawn JohnnyR... 2012/08/22 19:30:32
    Dawn
    +1
    Hey what was that other guy talking about..?
  • JohnnyR... Dawn 2012/08/24 05:26:05
    JohnnyRudick
    I think the idea was to only write about Pit Bulls but the person was making unfair comparisons.

i HAD to point that out so the person got 'little perturbed.;-)
  • Dawn JohnnyR... 2012/08/24 17:44:33
  • JohnnyR... Jarosla... 2012/08/18 02:54:41
    JohnnyRudick
    Huh?:-/
  • Boo 2012/08/16 18:39:49
    I don't know
    Boo
    +1
    I really don't understand the obsession some people have for this breed of dogs. While they can be very sweet and loving animals if treated properly, they remain an agressive and unpredictable breed.

I know of one women in south Florida who raised these dogs, and was attacked by her own dogs when she tried to break up a fight between 2 of them. She also had small children at the time, which was foolish in my opinion! Even though her dogs were not abused or trained to fight, they became uncontrollable and turned on her, leaving her with a permanent disability. Is it worth the risk?
  • Memnon 2012/08/16 17:26:42
    I don't know
    Memnon
    +1
    Any dog can be viscous if the owner teaches it to be.
  • Dan B. Cooper 2012/08/16 16:41:28
    Dan B. Cooper
    +1
    Anyone capable of of putting aside myths and misinformation and research for themselves will understand Breed Specific Legislation is wrong. No Pit Bull or a dog of any other breed is born to fight or kill. People, very sick people, train them that way.

Raised properly, a Pit Bull can be as loving and gentle as any other dog. Anyone who believes otherwise is welcome to visit my home. I would like to video tape you speaking position on Pit Bulls prior to entering, then record my two rescued Pits licking your face and giving you hugs. Then post it all unedited on Youtube so the world can see the difference between myth and fact.

Anyone still willing to back up their belief that all Pits are dangerous feel free message me via FB to set up an appointment. I guarantee my Pits will prove you wrong.
  • Dan B. ... Dan B. ... 2012/08/16 16:46:19
  • kurtanderson1 2012/08/16 15:50:43
    I don't know
    kurtanderson1
    +2
    It's the owners of course that are the problem, but since they can't ban people maybe they should require a dog permit, like a handgun carry permit.
  • serethiel 2012/08/16 14:21:35
    serethiel
    +1
    it is not the dog, but the humans who are at fault. for more info see top comment.
  • Tamara McMillan 2012/08/16 13:07:26 (edited)
    Tamara McMillan
    +1
    It is not the dog that is the problem. Sad
  • PandoraBoxe 2012/08/16 12:28:32
    I don't know
    PandoraBoxe
    +1
    They need to ban the lousy owners who mistreat or do not bother to train those beautiful animals. it is NOT the breed, but the owners/trainers or lack of training that does it.
  • LadyMorgana696 2012/08/16 11:38:50
    LadyMorgana696
    +1
    All dogs can be kind or bad depending on their owners.
  • valemary 2012/08/16 10:58:16
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/08/16 10:41:24
    Pinball Wizard
    +2
    They are unpredictable.
  • BILL 2012/08/16 06:57:49
    BILL
    +1
    it's the owner's that cause problems with animals, the way they are treated, trained, it's really people that should be banned from owning any kind of animal
  • art1ej 2012/08/16 06:13:44 (edited)
    art1ej
    +1
    No...ban the bad owners...love pit bulls..heres a pic of mac...he was the gentlest dog ive ever been around...he died at 10 years old & whenever anyone talks bad about pit bulls i always have to tell them about him....mac got along with our little dogs who raised him like he was theirs to little kids feeding him chips..
    blame the people pit bulls are amazing dogs,i'd get another one...

Mac
  • Matt Forrester 2012/08/16 05:14:06
    I don't know
    Matt Forrester
    +1
    It's far more about a lot of their owners than it is about the dogs themselves, IMO...so many of these dogs are lovely animals, but their owners often aren't...
  • Ian 2012/08/16 04:12:45
    I don't know
    Ian
    +1
    I dont know, half and half.
  • JohnnyR... Ian 2012/08/18 02:58:29
    JohnnyRudick
    Me too. I am a little confused about all the data myself.
    Why this one dog in so many cities across the us are causing so much trouble.
    Is this mass Hysteria?
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/08/16 03:17:41
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    If they are trained properly they are good dogs to have around. Loyal and very loving.
  • ttfndude 2012/08/16 02:57:06
    ttfndude
    +1
    Our pit passed a couple years back but before than he played so hard with my son that my son who is just turning 6 still comments on how he pisses Goliath....they were best friends and he never hurt him though we had to be watchful because we got him after a couple families had been very mean to him, but he treated us with love and respect like we treated him.......he will be truly missed
  • Cat 2012/08/16 02:50:36
    Cat
    +3
    They're great dogs and great house pets. Pokey
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/08/16 02:29:08
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    Yes, they should ban the breed everywhere.
  • JohnnyR... **Starz... 2012/08/18 02:59:58
    JohnnyRudick
    When in so much doubt as we all seem to be, wouldn't it just be easier not to breed the dogs?
  • jcadla 2012/08/16 02:07:44 (edited)
    I don't know
    jcadla
    +2
    This is a tough one. Pit Bulls were created to kill each other. That is the only reason they were made. Some things are so deep rooted, maybe they can't be fixed. There is no question Pit Bills are responsible for more maulings and killings than any other breed. And the owner always say they have always been so gentle. It's like having a lion as a pet. He will love the hell out of you, right up to the minute he eats you.

For me, I wouldn't own a Pit Bull if I were paid to. And if one ever injured a family member of mine, I would shoot him...and his owner, if he got in my way.

Oh,-there is a Bull Terrier but it is not a Pit Bull. Bull Terriers were the beginning breed of the Pit Bull. The only original reason to breed a pit bull is to fight to the death.
  • Dan B. ... jcadla 2012/08/16 16:22:08
    Dan B. Cooper
    +4
    You are mistaken. Pit Bulls were originally bred as ratters, not to fight each other. Any breed of dog needs to be trained by humans to attack, fight or kill. It does not come naturally.

Your post is loaded with nothing more than myth and ignorance.
  • JohnnyR... Dan B. ... 2012/08/18 03:03:06
    JohnnyRudick
    Ignorance shared by experts all across the US and in most US cities.

Again I ask, Is this just a case of Mass Hysteria?

If so and I do not think we can educate ourselves out of this, Wouldn't it just be easier to quit breeding the dogs?

They are being put to death it seems everywhere I look.
  • Paul 2012/08/16 02:01:08
    I don't know
    Paul
    +2
    There are actually several dog breeds that should probably not be raised in a largely populated area with too many limitations on their environment. Problem with a Pit bull is it's reputation, and the trend of people owning them for the wrong reasons. A Pit bull is generally a dog that requires more attention and training than some other breeds. Not all Pit Bulls, but some come from a pedigree created for the purpose of fighting. That dog is going to have a preindisposition A buyer may or may not even know, and what the genetic history was on that dog.

I see several comments about the owners of these dogs are the problem, well yea, that is the point of why Miami and other cities have to make ordinances against them. It's sad, but all it took was a couple bad owners to create a reason the city felt it necessary to outlaw them. It is all about liabilities. Check your insurance company and homeowners insurance if you plan on owning Pitbulls or Doberman is another breed that will show greater liability on charts created from past history. Sort of like paying more car insurance because you drive a Porsche that will go 200mph and a higher theft rate than say a Ford Sedan.

I don't really agree with a total ban in Miami, but there are reasons to defend it. I live in the country with...

I don't really agree with a total ban in Miami, but there are reasons to defend it. I live in the country with Husky's. If I'm looking for homes for any of my dogs, they do not do well with somebody that lives in an apartment, works all day, and also lives in a city. These dogs need to run, every day, couple times a day. Dogs are great pets, but an owner has to take account where they live, and the environment that dog is going to be in.
  • Royo 2012/08/16 01:42:28
    Royo
    +2
    You don't see people banning chihuahuas, and they are vicious. No dog breed is at fault, it's the OWNERS, PEOPLE. Ban the owners, but don't take it out on the dogs, or the good owners who don't treat their dogs like crap.

2014/04/18 13:19:49