Do you agree with Takoma Park, Md’s decision to lower the voting age to 16 for local city elections?

ABC News U.S. 2013/05/15 20:57:31
Related Topics: Elections, Election, Voting
A small Maryland city just outside the Washington, D.C., city limits has voted to lower the voting age for city elections to 16.

The Takoma Park City Council voted 6-1 on Monday to allow 16- and 17-year-olds to vote in city elections starting in November. The council also voted to allow convicted felons who have served their time to vote.

Councilman Tim Male, who voted for the measure, told WJLA-TV that elected officials are trying to make it possible for more people to be part of the city government. The lone councilmember to vote against the measure wanted the issue put to referendum.

Takoma Park, known as a liberal-leaning community, has a population of about 17,000. The law takes effect in 50 days.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/md-city-lowers-...

• maxinecw.hillary 2013/10/02 21:08:06
    maxinecw.hillary
    +1
    No. These kids don't pay taxes, take out leases on rentals, own property, or have to contend directly with decisions made by council. Moreover, they are easily manipulated and should at least reached an age of maturity where they can possibly understand the ramifications of their decisions when it comes to what passes as leadership in this silly town.
  • masondog1 2013/06/20 19:37:11
    masondog1
    +1
    Most kids and even 18 to 20 year olds don't have any knowledge of politics and will only vote for what they want at that moment with no regards to the negative aspect of what or who they are voting in. Besides, will they get a photo ID to make sure that they vote legally or just let someone else vote for them. There is so much voter fraud out there which appears to be more on the democratic base side than the other two parties...republicans and independents.
  • Ev 2013/06/03 20:54:38
    Ev
    +2
    If people would consider the whole picture and not just the piece that pertains to them, maybe this country wouldn't be in the mess it's in. Teenagers are not responsible for themselves. What makes them responsible enough to make decisions for the rest of the country?
  • GoldenF... Ev 2013/06/23 17:29:33
    GoldenFlame1100
    Abolish public schools. Abolish income taxes. Abolish all forms of welfare.-Myself, Age 15
  • Ev GoldenF... 2013/08/03 19:51:14
    Ev
    +1
    I realize there are the exceptions. It's sad that at 15 you have to worry about where this country is going instead of just enjoying your teenage years. There are too many children and young adults out there who only care about drinking, drugs, and who they're sleeping with tonight. Most of them do not have enough life experience to make decisions. As I said, they only care about what pertains to them at the moment. There are so many things wrong with the voting system already without adding another problem.
  • May Fall Winter 2013/05/31 17:12:43
    May Fall Winter
    I think that age 16 should vote.
  • Ryan 2013/05/30 22:23:22
    Ryan
    +1
    The main argument seems to be that there is nothing allowed until a certain age. In most states there is nothing allowed until 18. It also seems this is very weighed down by males. However, where I am from we started voting at 13. Maybe our answers didn't actually count, however we understood the theory. Face it, you are voting for a puppet. And really are these votes going to be counted? It says this law takes effect in the next 50 days. So what one town with no people wants to increase their turn out. I think we should just drop everything to 18. Drinking, Smoking, Dying...why not drop voting to 16? maturity? When I was in High School that was the main lesson, how to vote. Called it current events. The kids in High School know more about these politicians then we do. The problem is when there's two we don't like we chose the lesser. Well good luck. I vote yes.
  • dimuha14 2013/05/30 18:37:59
  • Tina 2013/05/29 23:59:36
    Tina
    +1
    There's a huge difference between 16 and 18. One for the mere fact that they're still in high school.
  • Deludo 2013/05/29 18:45:34 (edited)
    Deludo
    +4
    It should be raised to 25. Out of college and have a job/or trying to get a job.
    Also on the ballot it should only show their platforms/promises no names or party.

That way people are voting for what they want to happen with the country instead of a name.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2013/05/29 18:23:17
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +5
    with so many young adults continuing to live at home and avoid the responsibilities of independent living, I'd think it would be going the other way. You ought not vote until you own property or pay taxes. I'm not sure that many 16 year olds would vote anyway, but most are too idealistic, inexperienced, and ignorant to be good voters. That seems to be true for many young adults and some older ones as well having seen a few "random on the street" interviews like Leno's Jaywalking, for example.
  • kinavu14 2013/05/29 17:42:13
  • CサïCサï xχx 2013/05/29 17:11:11
  • Tannenberg1993 2013/05/29 17:10:12
    Tannenberg1993
    +5
    Goodness, no! I wasn't 16 so long ago, and I can assure you that most kids that age aren't mature enough to make those decisions. Many 18 years old aren't so good, either. People my age would try electing Leonardo DiCaprio president given the chance. In a nation where maturity is plummeting, the last thing we need is a lowered voting age.

Why is this even a question?
  • BitchStoleMyDress 2013/05/29 01:24:19
    BitchStoleMyDress
    You can seriously do nothing here until you're 18 which is vaguely annoying.
  • FeedFwd... BitchSt... 2013/05/29 18:29:31
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +4
    You can drive, go to school, get a job, and hopefully become a self-reliant adult. Or you can make bad choices and screw up your future. The rest of us really would prefer to avoid having teenagers in hormone overload making decisions for the rest of us. Obviously the good people of Takoma Park, MD feel differently. Be careful for what you ask...
  • Lilith ... FeedFwd... 2013/05/30 21:44:11
    Lilith Maleu
    +1
    The 16 year old voters wouldn't be the only ones voting, for one thing, and almost every decision in a minor's life is more or less made for them, unless their parents are cool enough to approve of and take into account their input. For another, the majority of this demographic would be disinterested and therefore wouldn't vote, and the ones who are would spend a decent amount of time coming up with a reasonable conclusion to whatever it is they're voting on. 18 isn't too far away from 16, hormones are still running pretty rampant. I don't see why people at an age where critical thought is really becoming a daily skill can't put it to use, especially for things that will affect them directly.
  • Ryan Lilith ... 2013/05/30 22:47:31
    Ryan
    If you're gonna start screwing with age, you better think. I high lighted activities youngsters do anyway. My main thing is if you are old enough to die for the government you are old enough to do everything else to. And really I'm not sure if this has crossed or dawned on anyone's mind, but, don't you think we(your kids) should be able to vote (have a say about) for who is sending your kids off to war just a few years before it happens? And what if we run out of abeled men and woman and the draft comes back? Anyone thought about that? I mean you all do know they will take anyone not in school or who has a job that can manufacture vehicles or wepoans for them right? Moms, Dads roll this arount in your head and see if you still think this is a bad idea.
  • Lilith ... Ryan 2013/05/30 22:56:19
    Lilith Maleu
    I can't help but feel like you replied to the wrong person, I completely agree with everything you're saying.
  • FeedFwd... Ryan 2013/05/31 12:59:36
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    I've gotta think most parents would vote in the interest of their kids. Do you think kids will be voting in the interest of their parents when it comes to government spending? Let's just say I have my doubts. Age is arbitrary as a means of defining competence, but it is the easiest and most politically correct way to discriminate who may vote and who may not.

BTW, there are some of us adults who are opposed to undeclared wars, which includes every conflict since WWII, on constitutional grounds and who also oppose nation building and interfering in the affairs of other countries. Some of us are in or have been in the military and some not. Some of us are conservatives, as well. Kids, roll this around in your head and see if you still think this is a good idea. ;)
  • FeedFwd... Lilith ... 2013/05/31 12:52:02
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    I don't disagree. I'd prefer people didn't vote until they were 21 and then only if they are paying taxes in the jurisdiction of the election and are a resident, preferably a property owner. There are idiots voting in all age brackets. I don't see what is the rush for kids to become adults. I don't see many kids at 16-19 looking for anything but immediate gratification. In short, I don't see the advantage of letting 16 year-olds vote and I see some downsides. But my main point was that there are things a 16 year-old can do, like growing up. They will be able to vote after they grow up. They can vote in student council elections, for one thing, and that is a good training ground that won't affect the rest of us. I was simply rebutting BSMD's vapid post.
  • AKtiff71 2013/05/29 00:23:47
    AKtiff71
    +3
    No, it should actually be raised to age 20 when there is a better understanding of what voting means. This way, young people maybe vote on real issues instead of going with the mainstream and what might be considered cool. I think they should get through the first or second year in college to vote usually by then you have a decent view of where you are and what's going on.
  • Jim Smith AKtiff71 2013/05/29 07:33:26
    Jim Smith
    Voting is a fundamental right. Seeing as higher education is really expensive, and loans have insanely high interest rates, many individuals would not be able to vote.
  • Al in S... Jim Smith 2013/05/29 16:27:28
    Al in St. Lou
    +2
    Actually, voting is a duty and not a right at all.
  • FeedFwd... Jim Smith 2013/05/29 18:33:29
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    If the voting age were raised to 20, I don't think it would be predicated on having spent time in college. Heck, too many college kids are being indoctrinated as it is, and don't make particularly good voters, either. We have too many elections and too many things to vote on as it is. As long as you aren't bothering somebody else, you should be free to choose your own path in life. Most elections are about voting to get something from somebody else.
  • Eric Jim Smith 2013/05/29 19:20:27
    Eric
    College remains relatively inexpensive for the ones who SHOULD be in college and have the drive, ambition, brains, and discipline to actually make use of the degree. Unfortunately about half or more of the people in college should not be there and are only trying to get credentialed without being educated and are wasting their money.
  • Ryan AKtiff71 2013/05/30 22:52:37
    Ryan
    And what about those that drop out because they figured out school was mind control or the Kid who does not go to college and decides to go right in to real life. Where do you place them? What if your kid said this to you?
  • Pestilence 2013/05/28 19:38:59
    Pestilence
    +2
    I find it amusing that people here are worried about it 'dumbing down' the electorate, when a majority of voters vote strictly for their party and never consider the opposition. Thats uniformed.
    Also, the only 16/17 year olds who would actually go out of their way to vote are going to be the ones interested in politics, and freshly educated about the successes and errors of past political decisions from what ever history classes they have taken/are taking.
  • FeedFwd... Pestilence 2013/05/29 18:35:51 (edited)
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    Exactly! And therein lies the problem. We have a failing education system. People don't really begin to learn how stuff is or how it works until they are out on their own for a while. I'll grant you that we already have too many ill-informed people voting. Lowering the voting age isn't going to fix that problem. Making the vote more restrictive, might.
  • Eric 2013/05/28 15:36:42
    Eric
    +4
    I think that the Founding Fathers were onto something when they believed that only property owners should vote. There is something about having a skin in the game before being able to vote.
    But if we don't want some prerequisite to voting, such as being a contributing member of society, we might as well open it up to everyone. There are 13 year olds with more intelligence than 30 year olds or 80 year olds.
  • GoldenF... Eric 2013/06/03 04:17:48
    GoldenFlame1100
    In a policestate(which the neoconservatives seem to support), we might all be victoms of something.
  • Eric GoldenF... 2013/06/03 16:36:26
    Eric
    Do you know what neoconservatives are? For the first 70 years of the 20th century, every Democrat President got the US into a foreign war at a cost of 600,000 American lives while no Republican got us into a war. Then things changed and now Democrats tend to avoid foreign war (although they don't object to killing people overseas with aerial bombs and drones) while neoconservative Republicans (liberals who wanted to continue to conduct wars overseas) do.
    Anyway, neoconservatives don't really have much to do with domestic politics and arguably Dems and Repubs are equally bad at supporting a police state. (But currently it sure seems that Dems are more in favor of police state than Repubs due to NannyStatism, gun control, SOPA, Patriot Act, etc..)
  • GoldenF... Eric 2013/06/03 19:02:33
    GoldenFlame1100
    +1
    Not that it matters to me which party. That was my way of saying just that.
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2013/05/28 13:38:03 (edited)
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +4
    i believe there should be a requirement ALL voters pass a basic course on Civics and our founding documents would eliminate 90% of the low information voters.

There are too many people checking the ballot based on a D or R at the end of a candidates name.

We need to have people understand the WHY of our founding, and what the founding documents contain. Until that all hope is lost.
  • FeedFwd... Grounds... 2013/05/29 18:38:52
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    There is precious little accountability, as well. The deck is stacked in favor of incumbents in most elections. And at least at the federal level, there is simply too many people voting for too few representatives. There is no way most of the electorate is going to have close knowledge of their representatives. Call me cynical, but most elections have evolved into beauty contests.
  • Grounds... FeedFwd... 2013/05/31 15:11:37
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +1
    yup..

Bondage to Spiritual Faith;
    Spiritual Faith to Courage;
    Courage to Liberty;
    Liberty to Abundance;
    Abundance to Selfishness;
    Selfishness to Apathy;
    Apathy to Dependency;
    Dependency to Bondage
  • GD 2013/05/28 13:36:31 (edited)
    GD
    +2
    Would there be a voting app available for the teens to cast their ballot? The notion would otherwise end up a failure.
  • Decius Nymeria 2013/05/28 09:07:04
    Decius Nymeria
    +2
    I don't see any problems with the idea. Some people are saying they would be uninformed voters, but 1) there's no evidence that they would be, or at least any worse than older voters, 2) the current electorate isn't that great, the last election proved that there really is 47% of voters who would vote for a turnip if their party nominated it, and would nominate it if it had a speaker spouting the right catch phrases 3) We are all equal citizens, everyone is equally effected by the outcome, and absurd 18th century chauvinism aside, everyone deserves an equal "voice", regardless of color, land ownership, age, criminal history, immigration status, level of being "informed", or any other factor, as long as they are able to understand what voting is and how to fill out the ballot.
  • FeedFwd... Decius ... 2013/05/29 18:45:15
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    We are equal before the law (allegedly), but we are not equal in other respects. It is hard to equate the doctor or other professional who invested heavily in his human capital and as a result of that and hard work, has acquired some wealth, which voters take joy in confiscating and redistributing to slackers or those who have not made the investments in hard work and education and sacrifice but still want the wealth that others have acquired. Minors are represented by their parents at the polls. If minors are truly self-reliant and independent people, living on their own means and not the handouts of family, friends, or government, then I really wouldn't have a problem with them voting. I would question their experience, but would accept them as equals at the polls.
  • Zoomie 2013/05/28 03:06:02
    Zoomie
    +1
    Why not? It's only for local city elections, not county or state or Federal, and no one is suggesting it change. If it gets young people more interested in voting, give it a try!

My only complaint is that I think this child/adult division stuff should be consistent in ALL ways. If you think the cut-off from childhood to adulthood is 18, then before you're 18 you cannot vote, drink, smoke, join the military or be tried as a adult. Once you are 18, you can smoke, drink, vote, join the military, and you get tried as an adult! But we keep using different ages for different things, which young people find hypocritical and dishonest.

I should point out, my first Federal election vote came only because they lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 while I was between 18 and 21!

2014/12/22 22:30:59