Do You Agree With Defense Secretary Panetta's Decision to Lift the Ban on Women Serving in Combat?

ABC News U.S. 2013/01/23 22:38:50
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta will lift a longstanding ban on women serving in combat, according to senior defense officials. The services have until this May to come up with a plan to implement the change, according to a Defense Department official. That means the changes could come into effect as early as May. The services will have until January 2016 to complete the implementation of the changes.

women in military

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/women-combat-defens...

• Katherine 2013/01/24 02:06:13
    Katherine
    +63
    First of all, I was asked by ABC news my opinion, I'm free to pick an opinion and you get to pick yours, I greatly appreciate the self sacrifice and bravery of anyone who wishes to serve and protect our country, and I'm probably not going to be as knowledgeable with what precise affect Panetta's decision enables, but I'm voting no.

My reasons are that men are biologically designed to want to protect women and this may cause problems in combat. For the retort, I don't want men to lose that. I don't like the dissolving differentiation between men and women; I don't like "every man, woman, child and invalid for themselves" new way of thinking. Another problem is that if rape or sex occurs with men, they don't get pregnant. They don't have periods. Another problem is that this will be used, like eeeverything else, as a means for advancing people based on sex and not qualifications. Women are biologically designed physically weaker. It's just a statistical fact, though I'm sure someone will try to produce some freak of nature, for lack of a better phrase. These men must weigh 180-220 pounds. Can these women carry them or will exceptions be made, now or in the future? There's probably more I could think of with time, but at the moment, I feel that it's dangerous doing this in dangerous foreign countries and could cost lives. Now feel free to attack or contradict me, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

• Quazimoto 2013/02/11 19:14:47
    Quazimoto
    Absolutely not.
  • Tree 2013/02/07 19:00:35
    Tree
    +1
    I wasn't aware of a ban on women especially since I have 3 girl friends in the military right now...
  • susiequest 2013/02/07 17:10:00
    susiequest
    +1
    I don't understand women are equal to men. There is no getting around it no matter where you shove this or shove that we are not the same. Just as sound and light. The velocity of sound is not equal to that of light yet they are equal in value and worth. I do not want to be the same as a man and I would like those who think I want to be or those who want me to be would please take me out of their pocket. I love being a woman. Men who love and respect women are equal to women who love and respect men. I do not question whether my value and worth is equal to a man's, I know it is. Nor do I question whether I am the same as a man, I know I am not.
  • Steven 2013/02/06 17:01:41
    Steven
    No because as a pacifist, i don't believe anyone should fight in these wars base on lies, profit and imerialism.

Justin.
  • Tina 2013/02/06 03:14:32
    Tina
    +1
    If woman want to serve, let them. I hope by January 2016 this is all over though.
  • rasputan 2013/02/01 22:39:21
    rasputan
    No,
  • Martyr4Christ 2013/01/31 04:40:25 (edited)
    Martyr4Christ
    +3
    Should women go to war and fight on the frontline?

NO !!!!
    As in, not now, not ever. I was raised in a multi-generational Marines infantry family: my brother did 3 tours in Iraq, my father served in Vietnam, my grandfather-WWII and great grandfather in WWI. A male in my family has served in(and survived) every war since the Civil War. I have heard plenty of true war stories so horrific they would make Charles Manson sleep with the light on.

I could fill a book with reasons why this will sabotage our military, nation, our society and our future.

Men and Women are completely different (in most cases, even polar opposites) in every way...men being more suitable for war. This is COMMON SENSE.

Men have the biological advantage of Physical Strength. As women, it's important not to over-analyze this or misinterpret it as an insult; it's not. Men are simply physically stronger than we are. It is what it is

If the situation called for hand to hand combat, we would be overcome by a man everytime. Being on your period in war doesn't sound ideal. There's the sex issue, pregnancy, the fact that we would be the perfect target / hostage. If a female soldier is captured by the enemy she will almost certainly be gang-raped/sexually defiled, which places unfair and unnecessary stress and guilt...

NO !!!!

If the situation called for hand to hand combat, we would be overcome by a man everytime. Being on your period in war doesn't sound ideal. There's the sex issue, pregnancy, the fact that we would be the perfect target / hostage. If a female soldier is captured by the enemy she will almost certainly be gang-raped/sexually defiled, which places unfair and unnecessary stress and guilt on the men in the unit. Walking for miles with half your body weight in gear on your back is a lot of work.

Since women could not meet the physical demands in ways that men could, would the standard be lowered?

There is no morning shower.

I have heard from the soldiers in my family that once you take a human life, you are changed forever.

What if you had to shoot a child? As a mother, I honestly do not think I could do it.
    Also, women are more prone to depression and PTSD.

I am opposed to women going to war, so what happens if there is a draft?

I'm fairly fit, but compared to a man, I feel like I would only get in the way and become a liability on the battlefield.

Will I be expected to sign my daughter up for selective service when she is of age?

And since Leon Panetta thinks this is such a bright idea, is HE encouraging HIS daughter and the women in his family to enlist? If not...why not??

What happens when this femi-nazi war on women results in large numbers of women in combat, and men become so desensitized to seeing men and women fighting as equals that domestic violence becomes the norm? Would the battered wife still have any recourse or will she just be told to man up?

Will the ladies that don't want to be G.I. Jane be persecuted?

Those are just a few of the many reasons I think women in combat is social and physical suicide.

I respect that women are eager to defend our country. But most people in general do not understand why we really invade countries and go to war.

WAR WAR WAR
  • GrandmaLou 2013/01/30 18:18:19
    GrandmaLou
    +2
    Being female and having served in the old US Army in the Women's Corp, I do have an insight on this. Legs and hips women are strong. However, the upper body is not normally as strong as a male's upper body. Please don't hit me if you disagree. Other reasons include something women have that men do not. A monthly event sometimes accompanied by pain and absolutely a hygiene situation exist. Not gonna discuss PMS since in my days this condition was not yet recognized. If a woman is just going to be in hand to hand combat one or two days or weeks around this monthly event, then is boils down to her strength. Can she drag a heavier taller man or another woman to safety if the need arises. The ladies are already in combat zones and losing lives and limbs as are the guys. The only rationale I have heard for this has been promotional opportunities. Really. What these front line military folks have to do should be for the country and their loved ones. Not money. Money will not replace a mom.
  • Scrappyang 2013/01/30 17:27:44
    Scrappyang
    +1
    Most women are quite capable of serving in combat.
  • Blueskys Scrappyang 2013/02/01 00:19:26
    Blueskys
    +1
    If women go to war and don't have children why go to war? Dust in the wind....
  • Scrappyang Blueskys 2013/02/01 21:42:47
    Scrappyang
    All i said is they are capable. i didn't say having vhildren had anything to do with it. Nor anything else for that matter. A lot of women are better shots than their male counterparts, arre more physically fit, etc. And note - i did not sy QLL i said SOME.
  • james daniels 2013/01/30 04:36:58
    james daniels
    More soldiers, more infantry, better defense. Now the whole worlds watching, and they have something to prove, they were tired of being slapped on the sideline, now we are actually embracing something we've said we already had: Equality in diversity.
  • johnnyg 2013/01/29 18:44:01
    johnnyg
    USGovt needs more killers to kill brown people around the world.
  • GrandmaLou johnnyg 2013/01/30 18:22:42
    GrandmaLou
    Ya had to go there...the make up of women in the service includes all races.
  • johnnyg GrandmaLou 2013/02/01 16:18:13
    johnnyg
    You are correct service people are all races, killing brown people around the world.
  • Blueskys johnnyg 2013/02/01 00:46:12
    Blueskys
    The US does not fight wars for racial or religious causes.We have other nefarious reasons:).
  • johnnyg Blueskys 2013/02/01 16:19:03
    johnnyg
    Of course!!
  • rcardon 2013/01/29 16:42:26
    rcardon
    Yes, I agree with that decision. However, those women need to realize, they may be thrown into situations where they will have as much privacy as a goldfish, and that the men she is serving with are going to see things she may not be comfortable with. Now, I would hope the men she severs with would be professional enough to keep their relationship such. The women also need to realize what constantly seeing the female anatomy does to a man's mind and do their best to keep it covered.
    She also needs to come to grips with the fact that the men she is serving with will feel a natural need to try to protect her, it will be a sub-conscience thing, not conscience, that, may result in the men she is serving with being injured, or killed, trying to protect her. These are some of the primary reasons this ban has not been lifted, despite women being equal to men in almost every other way in the military, officially.
  • GrandmaLou rcardon 2013/01/30 18:25:50
    GrandmaLou
    +2
    You just gave reasons for a ban.?????? yes?????? You know what, we need women to be around to bear babies. An artifical female body part has not yet been captured as has the male's donation has been...well in Brave New World it happened in tubes.
  • Blueskys GrandmaLou 2013/02/01 01:04:03
    Blueskys
    +2
    Very apt simile, except Brave New World never went this far.
    That of course was the fate of the Amazons. real shortage of children. Like feminists today. There is I think a story told by Herodotus about the last of the Amazons marrying Scythian men and creating a new Scythian tribe, giving up their warlike ways.
  • GrandmaLou Blueskys 2013/02/01 19:50:42
    GrandmaLou
    tk u
  • Jola Blueskys 2013/02/03 01:00:50
    Jola
    Lol please, you're talking about myths, not real people. The Amazons are a myth.
  • Jola GrandmaLou 2013/02/03 01:05:04
    Jola
    But it's not like all women will be in the army. There will be millions left to "bear babies" (unfortunately, since we already have 7!!! billion people living on this planet).

Also, don't we need men as well to impregnate all those women?
  • Richard... Jola 2013/09/02 14:03:37
    Richard Avery
    Nope most claim they don't even need men for that and that's what the banks are for.
  • you or ... GrandmaLou 2013/12/10 20:44:45
    you or hey you
    they're developing a baby bag at the time of this reply.
  • Blueskys rcardon 2013/02/01 00:56:53 (edited)
    Blueskys
    +1
    I'm trying to deal with that.
    Does this mean the end of the double standard, we can punch feminists in the nose now when they get on their obnoxious rampages?
    lol, Not that I would. Just a fantasy.
  • Alacrity rcardon 2013/03/06 00:29:31
    Alacrity
    War today is not like it was during WWII. Everyone has graduated to another level. No more trenches, rcardon.
  • rcardon Alacrity 2013/03/08 16:55:37
    rcardon
    Trenches, no. Fire holes, yes. Close, uncensored, quarters, yes.
  • Alacrity rcardon 2013/03/08 17:41:37
    Alacrity
    Air conditioned tents, bottled water, warm meals, medical care, hot showers, soft beds, separate toilets. When 'rounds' are over, it's back to camp for anything you find necessary. No fire holes for everyone--not one tenth of a troop is faced with that duty and only for a short time during a day.
  • rcardon Alacrity 2013/03/08 17:46:38
    rcardon
    If it's that posh, why don't you join up, then you can come back and give a true, unfettered, opinion of what it's really like?
  • Alacrity rcardon 2013/03/08 18:56:01
    Alacrity
    (•‿•)
  • you or hey you 2013/01/29 10:16:45
    you or hey you
    +2
    If women want to join they should be able to apply all the way to the top. They should also accept the draft equally. The percentage thing is rubbish however as it is the same bogus that women dribble on about with wage parity. You get paid your worth in this day & age in Australia we have the award wage & enterprise bargaining ergo if you don't get paid as much as someone else consider one your job & two your credentials. Gender no longer has anything to do with wage gap. Wage gap like the gap in soldiering IS because some can NOT achieve tolerance levels required for safe or beneficial practices in challenging, dangerous & life threatening environs.
  • GrandmaLou you or ... 2013/01/30 18:27:59
    GrandmaLou
    You are in Australia and giving us in the USA your wisdom? How interesting. Well, after all, our two countries are allies...right?
  • you or ... GrandmaLou 2013/12/10 20:40:30
    you or hey you
    do we live on the same planet?
  • RawRsaurus 2013/01/29 07:15:02
    RawRsaurus
    +1
    If women truly want equality, they'll have to carry responsibilities that come along with it. I'm sure they're up for the challenge.
  • kevinInNewYork 2013/01/28 23:19:46
    kevinInNewYork
    +2
    I say yes only because they are being used for propaganda now that the administration stated equal work for women. How can they say that if they don't lead by example. They just want the female vote, and shame on them for such antics. In battle, my partner, was a women. I trusted my life in her hand, and she never failed me. I understand some people are not happy with this decision, but, just know why they are doing it.
  • Falcon 2013/01/28 23:16:08
    Falcon
    +1
    It's going to cause to much confusion between terms. We always had "Fox Hole"... now we will have "Fox in the Hole".
  • bt sedlock 2013/01/28 19:48:07
    bt sedlock
    +4
    I don't believe Leon Panetta is cut out to be Secretary of Defense, he's more of a liberal idealogue and an Obama yes man than someone with common sense. I can't believe more than half of the people on this board favor women serving in combat. It's ridiculous.
  • Pecos Sal 2013/01/28 18:44:41
    Pecos Sal
    +3
    No man left behind, that means a 100 pound woman can lift a 200 pound man, then carry them out of harms way.
  • Anarimus 2013/01/28 18:12:17
    Anarimus
    +2
    Having been married to a female Marine and knowing several even having a cousin currently serving in the Corps i will say absolutely women should be allowed to serve in combat.

2014/04/19 17:22:58