Do You Agree With Arkansas' Same-Sex Adoption Decision?

While the federal government teetered on the brink of a shutdown over budget issues, including Republicans' opposition to abortion funding, Arkansas went in the opposite direction this week.

It's Supreme Court ruled that the state law barring same-sex couples from adopting violated individuals’ right to privacy.

The Huffington Post reported that the court overturned Act 1, a 2008 voter-approved ballot measure that prohibited unmarried couples who live together from adopting children, which, in essence, shut out gay and lesbian couples because they are not allowed to marry in the state.

"Act 1 directly and substantially burdens the privacy rights of 'opposite-sex and same-sex individuals' who engage in private, consensual sexual conduct in the bedroom by foreclosing their eligibility to foster or adopt children, should they choose to cohabit with their sexual partner," read the court ruling. "The pressure on such couples to live apart, should they wish to foster or adopt children, is clearly significant."

In making its decision, the court argued that one of the plaintiffs in the case, Sheila Cole, was forced to make a “pernicious choice” when trying to adopt her granddaughter, who was put in foster care because Cole was not allowed to adopt her.

"[Cole] can either give up her fundamental right to sexual intimacy in her home free from investigation by the State into her sexual practices in order to adopt or foster or forego the privilege of having children by adoption or fostering," the court wrote. "We hold that the burden inflicted on her is direct and substantial."

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) brought the case on behalf of a group of same-sex couples, arguing that it wouldn’t allow a relative, gay or straight, from adopting or fostering a child who they are close to as long as they were unmarried and living with a partner.

Angry about the ruling, the president of the Act 1 boosting Family Council Action Committee (FCAC) lamented that the ruling was an act of “judicial tyranny” and that the act was passed only to ensure that children were placed in the best possible homes. The FCAC is likely to appeal.

Do you agree with the same-sex adoption ruling?

• Simmering Frog 2011/04/09 05:52:47 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    +37
    child abuse

No because it's a decision that's designed to push the homosexual agenda at the expense of the child. The laws of adoption should favor what's in the best interest of the child, which is the different inputs of a father and mother, not the parents pushing a misguided agenda designed to make the abnormal appear normal. It's child abuse.

And I might add it's sick leftists who find it appealing to make the abnormal appear normal.

• carolynb 2011/04/11 19:52:36
    carolynb
    +2
    Children should be in a loving and caring family. It doesnt matter what the sexual orientation is. We have so many children in foster care who need the love and nurturing these couples would provide.
  • Silver_... carolynb 2011/04/11 21:20:41
    Silver_Thistle
    then don't you mean yes?
  • carolynb Silver_... 2011/04/11 23:20:50
    carolynb
    It said do you agree with their adoption policy and I said no.
  • Silver_... carolynb 2011/04/12 01:48:44
    Silver_Thistle
    But they changed it at the end.
  • carolynb Silver_... 2011/04/12 10:29:50
    carolynb
    +1
    I didnt read the whole thing. My fault. But anyway, a loving home no matter what sex the parents are is what is important.
  • Anniy 2011/04/11 19:51:47
    Anniy
    +1
    think of all the children who are going to grow up in real homes instead of frequent foster care? if two people love each other enough to want a child then Yes! and think of all the heterosexuals who gave up those babies? think on that.
  • Doc 2011/04/11 19:45:12
    Doc
    +3
    A child needs a mom and dad.
  • URBAN_S... Doc 2011/04/12 13:44:08
    URBAN_Sapphic
    Why does a child need a dad? All "dad's" seem to do is sexually molest their daughters and abuse their sons.
  • Donny URBAN_S... 2011/04/12 17:51:00
    Donny
    +3
    Wow, you are really one sick lesbian bitch. STFU with your perverted view of this world, will you. Just because your father raped you hardly makes what he did normal. 99.9999999 % of fathers on this planet love and cherish their offspring. You are sick. Did you know that?
  • sjalan Donny 2011/04/16 00:24:00
    Then kindly tell us why there are over 3 million children on the street in America without homes to go to because they have been thrown out by their parents.?
  • Skippy sjalan 2011/05/05 18:48:37
    Skippy
    parents who don't love their LGBTQI children kicked them out check the statistics.lol I'm sure you already have though judging on the context of your comment.lol
  • sjalan Skippy 2011/05/06 04:10:43
    Yes that is right I have checked the stats. They are horrifing. You should check them out too.
  • Skippy URBAN_S... 2011/05/05 18:47:19
    Skippy
    well your only hurting the two daddies argument here. Women are far less reported for cases like these then men so don't go acting sexist now. My partner and I plan on having children a couple of years or so after we get married next spring. Like the video at the top says. We don't have our kids on accident.lol
  • CaliGurl 2011/04/11 19:40:28
    CaliGurl
    +3
    As long as the parents are loving and nurturing, that is all that matters. There are abusive and neglectful parents in a traditional marriage. When a child is adopted, you know the child is wanted. Of course the homophobes will come out saying it's wrong. Love is never wrong.
  • Skippy 2011/04/11 19:15:27 (edited)
    Skippy
    In states where equality for all is truly respected homeless children are less abundant and in those other regions where we are not respected homeless children run rampant and face many dangers that a loving same sex or single parent/whatever could protect them from.
  • lbsalvin 2011/04/11 19:14:49
    lbsalvin
    +3
    It's just not right.
  • Skippy lbsalvin 2011/05/13 00:30:44
    Skippy
    Massachusetts where gays can adopt and get married has the lowest homeless rate for children. think about that next time you make your kids or grandkids breakfast.
  • upinthetrees 2011/04/11 19:14:34
    upinthetrees
    +6
    It is ashame how much we have lost our way as humans.
  • Cordingly upinthe... 2011/04/12 01:12:47
    Cordingly
    I know, adopting kids is so wrong.
  • upinthe... Cordingly 2011/04/12 07:51:23
    upinthetrees
    +2
    No. Adopting children to save there life is very important. Two wrongs don't make it right.
  • Skippy upinthe... 2011/05/13 00:29:57
    Skippy
    it's such a shame that you seem to want more children homeless and vulnerable to all the bad realities in our world. We should all promote love.
  • JJ 2011/04/11 19:12:32
    JJ
    +6
    I know gays are going to say yes, but since I' m not gay I'm going to say no. Why? Simple...children need both a mother and a father...because its NORMAL.
  • Silver_... JJ 2011/04/11 21:28:20 (edited)
    Silver_Thistle
    +3
    There's no such thing as normal. There's average. But no one perfectly fits average either. normal average perfectly fits average
  • JJ Silver_... 2011/04/12 00:22:40 (edited)
    JJ
    Webster's dictionary says: Average- implies conformity with what is regarded as normal or ordinary; abnormal or unusual.
    Normal- implies conformity with the established norm or standard for its kind.
  • Cordingly JJ 2011/04/12 01:13:55
    Cordingly
    +1
    Which just proves her point. Anything you consider normal is REGARDED as normal.
  • JJ Cordingly 2011/04/12 03:05:54
    JJ
    +2
    And I consider marriage between a women and man, normal. A marriage between two guys or two girls is abnormal [ not the norm ].
  • Cordingly JJ 2011/04/12 15:18:29
    Cordingly
    So then what's established as normal is actually your opinion?
  • Donny Cordingly 2011/04/12 16:28:08
    Donny
    +1
    Not only her opinion, but the opinion of the overwelming majority.
  • JJ Donny 2011/04/12 22:35:57
    JJ
    Thank you!
  • Morpheus JJ 2011/06/17 00:12:11
    Morpheus
    Well, that probably has something to do with the fact that you're a bigot and I think that you are abnormal!

Go to Hell, Ms. Abnormal!
  • JJ Morpheus 2011/06/17 02:34:07 (edited)
    JJ
    I guess I can say hi when you get there.
  • reaper JJ 2011/04/12 04:54:06
    reaper
    +1
    i'm not gay, and i voted yes. and remember, whats normal for you isn't so in other places around the world. or would you rather change that so other see the world in the same views as you do?
  • JJ reaper 2011/04/12 13:03:32 (edited)
    JJ
    I know what your saying...normal to you is anything that others feel is not normal, as others view it as normal. Okay, since the word normal seems bothersome, how about the words...right and wrong? Now, those two words are universal. Not everything can be right, as there are wrongs in the world. Now you show me where it says that homosexuality is right and I'll show you where its wrong.
  • reaper JJ 2011/04/12 15:58:44
    reaper
    +1
    there is nothing right with it, but there isn't anything wrong with it either. they are still people and if they should have the same rights as everyone else. oh and i know the "wrong" stuff your going to link me do is going to do nothing but attack, make bogus claims that have debunked over and over, or "god said so" lets see if you have something new
  • JJ reaper 2011/04/12 22:34:33
    JJ
    reaper, look, God loves everyone, even homosexuals, but He doesn't like the sin. And God has laws set down for us all to abide by, because He knows they are good for us.They're not to make us unhappy, but happy. Yes, I could bring out scripture that proves this act is wrong, but I've come across many individuals like you and know you will only want to twist and turn Gods truth around to satisfy yourself. I will tell you this, you can believe it or not, that's up to you. Those that seem to think these acts and many other wrongs are right, will some day see the power of God and will realize much. I'm going to give you one scripture that fits what's going on today. Isaiah 5 : 20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil. There is more to this scripture if you care to look at the rest of it.
  • reaper JJ 2011/04/13 03:50:17
    reaper
    i'm not twisting anything, i'm just giving the info as i have it. i don't believe in the judeo-christian god or any others is because there is nothing solid proving it. and no the bible to me is not proof, in my mind they are stories based off events that possibly did happen or from other older stories retold then written down trying to explain them the best why they could for the time.

and no i do not get any kind of satisfaction from this. it just bothers me that people are will to push an agenda on other people over something bogus and debunked a number of times because they feel only thing that matters is what they think and care nothing about what others do but look at them as inferior because of something so petty.
  • JJ reaper 2011/04/13 15:45:07
    JJ
    First off, are you here? How did you get here? Do you really think you just happened from nothing? And second, the bible has never been debunked...its been around for hundreds of years.And thirdly,I'm not trying to push anything on anyone, I'm expressing my feelings the same way you are. Your right is that you don't have to talk to me if you don't want to. And I don't either, but when I do its out of kindness to answer you.
  • reaper JJ 2011/04/14 00:41:44
    reaper
    yes, i am here, how? i would say insanely complex chemical process. DNA is a chemical, our cells are massively complex ones themselves and they create more of them. we've evolved to what we have become to find new ways to survive. i'm just not into the idea we are created for the reason of obedience and worship.

also i would say the bible has been around for thousands of years, it is a historical document of our past on what some people were like and how life was explained in a way they could for the time. and yes some things have been debunked, the problem is every time someone has to reinterpret it to better fit this new discovery. but i do believe the stories in it are based off events that did happened. I saw something on TV years ago about the exodus (that i've always found very cool) explaining how it very likely happened.
  • JJ reaper 2011/04/14 01:01:07
    JJ
    We were created to become a family...Gods family. And there is so much more, even things we don't know yet. But, every thing well be out of love for us. You are going to become more than you will ever dream of. When that time comes...to worship God isn't going to be a half to, you will do it because you want to, because you will love Him that much. We are thinking as humans, Gods thoughts are not our thoughts. He is a higher being, His love is beyond anything we have experienced here on earth.
  • sjalan JJ 2011/04/16 00:27:31
    Normal? What is normal about 3 million children that are on our streets every year without parents at all because they CAN'T go home because they were thrown out or ran away because their parent abused them.

Tell me what is normal about that? Tell me then that having a pair of loving homosexual parents would not be better than living on the street?

Seems you are very shallow in your evaluation of the problems in the US with regards to the care of children.

It is just the worlds dirty little secrete.

2014/09/01 18:51:33