Do You Agree or Disagree With the Sierra Club Declaring War on Natural Gas?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/09 06:48:31

Beating up on coal, America’s most-used source for electricity, wasn’t enough for the Sierra Club. They now declared war on natural gas. From National Journal :

The Sierra Club is intensifying its natural-gas reform campaign and renaming it “Beyond Gas,” a spin-off of its decade-old “Beyond Coal” campaign seeking the phaseout of coal-fired power plants.

“As we push to retire coal plants, we’re going to work to make sure we’re not simultaneously switching to natural-gas infrastructure,” Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune told National Journal in an interview on Wednesday.

Brune declared that his organization’s mission is about [emphasis mine] “preventing new gas plants from being built wherever we can.

This is a classic bait-and-switch. Not long ago, the Sierra Club pushed natural gas as an alternative to coal. It would be a bridge to renewable energy like wind and solar. In 2008, Carl Pope, then executive director, told Oil and Gas Investor Report that the Sierra Club was all for natural gas [emphasis mine]: “Among the fossil fuels, natural gas is at the top.” He went on to say, “There's a lot of opportunity -- people in the natural gas industry tell me -- to produce more natural gas domestically by using new technologies, and we're in favor of that.”

In the last few years, we’ve witnessed a boom in natural gas production. The Marcelleus Shale in the Northeast, Barnett Shale in Texas, and other areas across the country are producingmillions of cubic feet of natural gas and creating thousands of jobs. However, the Sierra Club switched course. Now natural gas is a villain.

This is rich. When their friends in EPA drop job-killing rules to make coal power plants extinct, the Sierra Club moves the goalposts and wants to eliminate the replacement. They oppose coal, they oppose oil, and now natural gas is off limits. To them, it’s wind and solar and that’s about it. But if they have their way and we start to get more of our electricity from wind and solar, expect them to move the goalposts again. In fact, maybe they already have. Local Sierra Clubs have been and continue to work to block solar and wind projects in Maryland, Texas, Florida,all over California, and elsewhere.

They’ll say anything to appear to be reasonable, but in the end, their answer is, “No, no, no.” The Sierra Club is simply anti-energy, and has no credibility.

The honest answer to our energy problems lies in using all of America’s energy resources: coal; oil; natural gas; wind; solar; hydro; and nuclear. Not limiting ourselves, but wisely seeing how each energy source fits in the marketplace and the environment, will protect jobs and ensure we have enough affordable energy to keep America moving.

From: Free Enterprise
By: Sean Hackbarth

Read More: http://www.freeenterprise.com/energy-environment/s...

• Knot_Rich 2012/05/09 18:53:53
    I agree with the Sierra Club because....
    Knot_Rich
    +1
    We have to keep in mind what the Sierra Club really is, a front group for ICLEI and it's assigned task of implementation of UN Agenda 21 and the Global Biodiversity Assessment. Using "environmental" front groups is a method of controlling the availability if natural resources, including cultivatable land.
    Look at it this way, left to it's own means the free market will work, people earn less, prices drop, consumption remains fairly constant. Now, keep natural resources from the market, even food by removing land from production because of some snail or owl or whatever, or pay farmers not to produce, and prices remain high. Keep natural gas and oil from being produced and prices remain high. Prices remain high, wages drop (median average middle class wage in America has declined) and you consume less. Refuse to secure the borders flooding the country with cheap laber and wages fall. Lower or stagnant wages, increasing prices = less consumption. Sustainable Development (Agenda 21) in a nutshell. It's all there in black and white.
  • lee Knot_Rich 2012/05/09 19:08:33
    lee
    (k)not smart either.
  • MadAsHEck lee 2012/05/09 19:11:40 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    +6
    Apparently smarter than you my ignorant friend.

You are aware of what Agenda 21 is designed to do are you not? Slowly and over time to be sure. While the blind such as yourself sit back and not see it coming till it's too late.

Basically give the UN control of all land, resources, and peoples of the earth. And Obama and his administration are buying into it.

Bear in mind that Ignorance is curable by research and education. It is only stupidity that is forever.
  • lee MadAsHEck 2012/05/09 19:17:23
    lee
    stupidity doesn't last forever... i believe in natural selection.

but nature is constantly trying to over come efforts like yours to make more stupid.
  • MadAsHEck lee 2012/05/09 19:22:01
    MadAsHEck
    +4
    And you prove how difficult a job nature is having with every ignorant, unsupported, and insulting post.
  • lee MadAsHEck 2012/05/09 19:35:19
    lee
    ditto.
  • MadAsHEck lee 2012/05/10 16:52:29
    MadAsHEck
    Never quit being ignorant do you! How old are you? 5 or maybe 6.

At least that is what you present in mental capacity, and debating skills.
  • lee MadAsHEck 2012/05/10 17:06:40
    lee
    you wanted to debate something?

when was that intent made evident?

i'm not a mind reader.
  • MadAsHEck lee 2012/05/10 17:32:21
    MadAsHEck
    What you are no doing is called Spamming by some, Trolling by others, and being a sock by others.

All three I tire of after a few ignorant posts keep popping up on my Happenings. So Bu Bye!!
  • Kitt1288 2012/05/09 18:50:11
    I disagree with the Sierra Club because....
    Kitt1288
    +7
    Natural gas is a good source of energy. We should drill more and more.
  • big T 2012/05/09 18:41:53
    big T
    +6
    they are supporters of the homosexual agenda and they are the top supporting group of abortion and planned parent hood.
    no true American could support abortion or any group that does.
  • Wolfman 2012/05/09 18:26:34
    Wolfman
    +6
    The Sierra Club started off as a reasonable conservation group but became an Eco-terrorist group. They are a Progressive political group that is anti-American, anti-conservative, anti-energy, anti-people group that hasn't the slightest idea where food and energy come from.
    +7
    They're lying. The whole purpose of their agenda has always been: "Back to nature." Or rather, back to the wild.
  • Zorkon Temlako... 2012/05/09 22:49:58
    Zorkon
    +4
    I think you mean "back to the Stone Age"!
  • Temlako... Zorkon 2012/05/10 02:28:07
    +2
    Further back than that.
  • Zorkon Temlako... 2012/05/11 01:22:45
    Zorkon
    +2
    Yeah! LOL
  • Lanikai 2012/05/09 18:07:59
    +8
    Natural gas, what part of that is man made or harmful? All it is, is preexisting emissions that we have managed to capture and use in an effective manner.

SCREW the sierra club
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/05/09 18:03:07
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +6
    These clowns are as bad a peta.
  • MadAsHEck ScottyG... 2012/05/17 16:36:13 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    +2
    Peta kills more animals every year than they claim to save.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...
  • ScottyG... MadAsHEck 2012/05/17 17:41:20
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    That figures. Bunch of hypocrites. Much like the green folks.
  • Tom 2012/05/09 17:57:12
    Tom
    +5
    They're pathologically wrong on everything they take a position on.
    When a subject comes up on which I know absolutely nothing, but the Sierra Club has chosen a side, I can comfortably state my support for the opposite position, research the subject at my leisure later, and find that I made the correct choice.
    They are nothing more than a mob of scream first/think later idiots.
  • ed 2012/05/09 17:30:35
    ed
    +5
    What is it with these freaking idiots wanting to just shut off everything from coal plants to our natural gas,then what ban candles and lanterns.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/05/09 16:50:01
  • Stevern... whitewu... 2012/05/09 17:20:48
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I wish the most ardent Sierra Club supporters would do their part to save the Earth.By doing this!

ardent sierra club supporters save earth
  • cmdrbnd007 2012/05/09 16:15:22
    cmdrbnd007
    +6
    They are a bunch of freaken idiots that want to push humankind backwards. They won't be happy until we are living in caves and burning wood. Wait a minute, burning wood releases CO2, a greenhouse gas which may or may not affect the global climate, so they will be against that too.
  • MadAsHEck cmdrbnd007 2012/05/17 16:24:48
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    In the winter here in the Northwest, they have Burn Ban Days. If you burn in your fireplace, and it is not your only source of heat you are subject to a fine.

We have Electric heating, so it applies to us. Even though to use the fireplace for heating is cheaper, and more pleasant actually, we must comply.
  • firelooker 2012/05/09 16:14:49
    firelooker
    +6
    The Sierra club like all other so called green agencies are all LWNJ committed to destroying this country. Natural gas is clean burning and does not contribute to pollution.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/05/09 16:06:39
    SK-pro impeachment
    +6
    And it's Christians and Conservatives constantly being accused of wanting to take us back to the "dark'' ages?!?
  • sammanilla 2012/05/09 16:03:10
    sammanilla
    +7
    The Sierra Club is proof that Liberalism causes brain shrinkage.
  • JanHopkins 2012/05/09 15:46:29
    Other Thoughts!
    JanHopkins
    +5
    Sigh. Looks like I better get back to chopping wood.
  • danila777 JanHopkins 2012/05/09 16:13:45
    danila777
    +5
    Shh, don't say it out loud, they will come after you. The trees have rights you don't.
  • Charge 2012/05/09 15:39:45
    Charge
    +10
    More stupid tree huggers that can't comprehend facts.
    stupid tree huggers
  • Icarus 2012/05/09 15:26:29
    Other Thoughts!
    Icarus
    +1
    In theory, yes, because all fossil fuels are trashing the planet... but we won't give up fossil fuels, because there is nothing to replace them and we can't live without them.
  • MadAsHEck Icarus 2012/05/17 16:28:38 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    There are alternatives coming down the pipeline, Hydrogen for cars, Cold Fusion for mass prodicing electricity. and others that have yet to be discovered.

But with this bankrupting our society in a rush to Wind and solar etc, is going to bankrupt our society before they can ever become prevalent.

And to say that Fossile fueos are trashing the planet is not true any more. At least here in the USA. They have developed Clean Burning Coal and Gas fired plants, that produce virtually no polution.

Our cars are at least 10 times cleaner now than even 5 years ago. In 2014 Honda and Toyota plan on having totally non polluting Hydrogen cars on the road, and Shell having a Hydrogen pumping station at every Shell station.

Countries like China and India, that could care less about pollution are a different story. And Even some European countries are not buying into the Fossile Fuel destruction of the earth theory.
  • Kane Fernau 2012/05/09 15:08:48
    Kane Fernau
    +6
    The bastards want to destroy the economy. Environmentalism was overrun by Communists after the USSR collapsed.
  • 4570GOVT 2012/05/09 15:03:58
    4570GOVT
    +9
    When I Was Young & Stupid ............... I thought the Sierra Club was a good thing . It SOUNDED good and I even sent for some information and thought about joining ....... until I did some research . They , like so many other GREENIES have no common sense at all . They are consistantly on the Wrong Side of every issue that I support , And I Am A Conservationist and a Sportsman ! They are not at all what they would have you believe !

Do you know WHO spends the most to Protect Nature / Buy Public Lands For ALL To Use and MUCH MORE ? ............... The American Sportsman ! " EVERY " Fishing License , Every Hunting licence , Ammo , Equipment , Etc. " has a tax on it paid at point of sale by Sportsman ! This Fund has been a TARGET of politicians for YEARS ! They look for ways to raid it like the did with Social Security . It is IronClad and they cannot touch it !
    ........ so if you really want to support nature .......... buy a gun , some ammo , a hunting licence , a fishing licence , Etc. , Etc. ......... More will get into saving the land -AND- wildlife that the Sierra Club ever has .
  • 4570GOVT 4570GOVT 2012/05/09 15:16:08 (edited)
    4570GOVT
    +6
    The Sierra Club is run by the " same gang of deceptive con artists " that fool the gullible at every turn . THE ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT .... sounds good , right ? Does to me too. This ACT does FAR MORE DAMAGE than good . You only hear about the positive things ( bringing the Eagle & Osprey back from certain extinction , right ? ) . For every success , there are FAR MORE horror stories that don't make the news . The MSM will not report these because it does not fit their Liberal / Progressive / Socialist World View . " Fertile Valleys OFF LIMITS because of a tiny minnow in California is but one example " " Keeping Farmers From Farming Their Land ( because of a tiny mouse ) is another " . The list goes on & on . ............ BUGS are even protected !

The Government Has Been Quietly TAKING MILLIONS OF ACRES OF LAND ( our land ) and placing restrictions on ANY use by us . Those People WANT TO RUIN AMERICA .
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/05/09 15:01:58
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +4
    .... though their hearts MAY be in the right place, they're very misguided about economics and technology. Any study of ecology and the environment must incorporate those important factors.
  • 4570GOVT FeedFwd... 2012/05/09 15:20:42
    4570GOVT
    +3
    They Are FRAUDS !
  • Tuna 2012/05/09 14:58:12 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Tuna
    +2
    Esau means red and hairy; rosh/roosh/later roosha/ Russia. Esau went to live among the sons of Ishmael (arabs). Esau sought how he might make war with and kill Jacob (Judeo/Christians of the world today). All of these stories are told to us for ensamples (examples) of what would be. Russia and the arabs want to end the USA.
    esau and jacob

2014/09/01 21:31:44