Do You Agree or Disagree With the Sierra Club Declaring War on Natural Gas?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/09 06:48:31

Beating up on coal, America’s most-used source for electricity, wasn’t enough for the Sierra Club. They now declared war on natural gas. From National Journal :

The Sierra Club is intensifying its natural-gas reform campaign and renaming it “Beyond Gas,” a spin-off of its decade-old “Beyond Coal” campaign seeking the phaseout of coal-fired power plants.

“As we push to retire coal plants, we’re going to work to make sure we’re not simultaneously switching to natural-gas infrastructure,” Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune told National Journal in an interview on Wednesday.

Brune declared that his organization’s mission is about [emphasis mine] “preventing new gas plants from being built wherever we can.

This is a classic bait-and-switch. Not long ago, the Sierra Club pushed natural gas as an alternative to coal. It would be a bridge to renewable energy like wind and solar. In 2008, Carl Pope, then executive director, told Oil and Gas Investor Report that the Sierra Club was all for natural gas [emphasis mine]: “Among the fossil fuels, natural gas is at the top.” He went on to say, “There's a lot of opportunity -- people in the natural gas industry tell me -- to produce more natural gas domestically by using new technologies, and we're in favor of that.”

In the last few years, we’ve witnessed a boom in natural gas production. The Marcelleus Shale in the Northeast, Barnett Shale in Texas, and other areas across the country are producingmillions of cubic feet of natural gas and creating thousands of jobs. However, the Sierra Club switched course. Now natural gas is a villain.

This is rich. When their friends in EPA drop job-killing rules to make coal power plants extinct, the Sierra Club moves the goalposts and wants to eliminate the replacement. They oppose coal, they oppose oil, and now natural gas is off limits. To them, it’s wind and solar and that’s about it. But if they have their way and we start to get more of our electricity from wind and solar, expect them to move the goalposts again. In fact, maybe they already have. Local Sierra Clubs have been and continue to work to block solar and wind projects in Maryland, Texas, Florida,all over California, and elsewhere.

They’ll say anything to appear to be reasonable, but in the end, their answer is, “No, no, no.” The Sierra Club is simply anti-energy, and has no credibility.

The honest answer to our energy problems lies in using all of America’s energy resources: coal; oil; natural gas; wind; solar; hydro; and nuclear. Not limiting ourselves, but wisely seeing how each energy source fits in the marketplace and the environment, will protect jobs and ensure we have enough affordable energy to keep America moving.

From: Free Enterprise
By: Sean Hackbarth

Read More: http://www.freeenterprise.com/energy-environment/s...

• aguster 2012/05/14 06:29:01
    I disagree with the Sierra Club because....
    aguster
    +1
    Maybe it's time to declare war on the Sierra Club.
    +1
    I always disagree with envirowackjobs.
  • LisaSmith 2012/05/11 17:24:05
    LisaSmith
    +1
    I guess I will have to start using wood to heat my house, the only problem is I don't have a fireplace.
  • firebird 2012/05/11 15:42:58
    firebird
    +2
    The Sierra Club needs to back off...... Natural Gas is one of the primary sources of heating for homes. Its here to stay they need to shut the F up !!! Wonder how many are using it for heat and cooking in their own homes ???
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/05/10 20:34:53
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    I got an F on a paper when I wrote about the Seerra Club and 1000 friends of Oregon having the same office....she did not believe it. I went there personally to make sure.
  • Jay Theyme 2012/05/10 19:55:41
    Jay Theyme
    +2
    It would be wondeful if we lived in a world where we got free, easy or very cheap clean ways to produce energy! We DO NOT live in that world yet.
    Until then we have to find the cheapest, easiest, cleanest ways to produce the maximum energy AVAILABLE TO US NOW.
    Natural Gas is one way. And it turns out we here in North America have a whole lot more than we once thought. And we really are improving the technology and efficiency and the safety and 'bang for the buck'.
    It's how we have hospitals, schools, the internet, the car driving to the Phish concert, the warm (or cooled) building the Sierra Club can meet in, cold-kept antibiotics, ships to go do Africa Relief mission, condoms for you and your Sierra Club 'life partner' and so on.
    It isn't 'magic'. It isn't because we are just so special on earth we deserve it or are granted these things. They come from something. There has to be someone who dug a hole, got some energy from the ground, processed it, made it turn on lights so a machine could turn on that then spins some chemicals that turn into medicine. But someone had to dig a hole first.
  • shadow76 2012/05/10 18:03:15
    shadow76
    +3
    Because they are lying hypocrits!
  • Billyk75 2012/05/10 15:26:58
    Billyk75
    +3
    The Sierra Club is a criminal organization.
  • Seonag 2012/05/10 15:08:05
    Seonag
    +3
    The Sierra Club would have us all living in caves, freezing and starving to death!
  • LisaSmith Seonag 2012/05/11 17:25:57
    LisaSmith
    +2
    They would be happier if we were all dead.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/05/10 13:32:16
    Other Thoughts!
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +2
    This is a backdoor scheme to get Billions to fund and advance Algae-Based Opportunities (ABO) for Energy... a really green source of energy - to cement their place in history as forward-thinking pond scum advocates who'd cripple our lifestyle / economy to save the world for the snail darters. Highly Organized, Radical Extremists. Beware.
  • Tominator 2012/05/10 13:23:08
    Tominator
    +2
    F ALL environmentalist whackos. Do ANY of them drive cars, own homes etc etc etc??
  • Callaway 2012/05/10 12:57:16
    Other Thoughts!
    Callaway
    +2
    For a group that originally really has done some good through the years it's rather sad since it appears they have been taken over by a clique of ultra left leaning extreme environmental types who have bastardized it's original goals. they have chosen to use it as a tool to further personal agendas much the same as AARP has done. Both of these groups have lost much mainstream support trading it for a narrow agenda driven cause.
  • redhorse29 2012/05/10 05:04:15
    redhorse29
    +3
    The Sierra Club is wearing thin. It has an agenda that is a intolerant as any wealthy liberal progressive media type alive. No. They are in this fight for spite and money.
  • Vee 2012/05/10 04:47:14
    Vee
    +4
    The fools have ulterior motives in destroying anything fossil fuels....coal, natural gas, oil. This government wants to force us to our knees, by ruining all of those options (which are so plentiful in this country) and insisting on green energy, which doesn't work well...and is very expensive. I sure hope, come November, that we get a new president who knows the value of what our own country has right under our feet...and in our waters around our shores. Common sense is what's needed in this administration, and is totally lacking. It's almost like a disease that's spread throughout the Democrat/Progressive party, and it's killing our country. The Sierra Club, the EPA and the "climate changers" are so screwed up and skewed. Screwed and skewed...yeah....that's the ticket.....shameful and sick.
  • Space Invader 2012/05/10 03:43:12
    Space Invader
    +3
    Idiots that's what they are..
  • lucythetooth 2012/05/10 03:35:53
    lucythetooth
    +5
    I work in the Natural Gas Industry. Methane pays my bills and keeps a roof over my head so the freaking Sierra Club can just...

zzz
  • Bill 2012/05/10 02:30:56
    Bill
    +4
    Tree huggers are never happy. Give them an inch they want a mile Most of them are just plain nuts
  • DJL 2012/05/10 02:05:10
    DJL
    +4
    They wil do anything to drive up the cost of energy.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/10 01:29:04
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Peta, Greenpeace and now the Sierra Club. What a bunch of mixed up folk.
  • Louis Contreras 2012/05/10 00:44:57
    Louis Contreras
    +4
    I don't want to live in a cold, dark cave.
  • mike 2012/05/09 23:42:14
    mike
    +2
    they've been a disingenuos organization since they stopped believeing over population is bad for the enviroment.
  • Birthpangs 2012/05/09 23:37:09
  • Sgt Maj... Birthpangs 2012/05/10 23:17:54
  • tom 2012/05/09 23:04:08
    I agree with the Sierra Club because....
    tom
    Simply because I do not agree with the current overuse of any kind of fossil fuel, be it coal or natural gas.
  • Tennessean 2012/05/09 22:05:39 (edited)
    Tennessean
    +5
    We have the largest supply of natural gas in the world, and should use more of it to help lessen our dependence on foreign oil, and create American jobs.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/05/09 21:45:59
  • George 2012/05/09 21:42:56
    George
    +4
    If their against it, then Im for it. Just like BO, you can easily pick the right side of an issue by simply doing the opposite of the radical anti american capitalist haters.
  • UnusualSuspect 2012/05/09 20:32:58
    UnusualSuspect
    +1
    I tend to disagree with the Sierra Club.

Natural gas burns much cleaner than coal, and there appears to be a lot of it in the ground.

However, I'm not thrilled at all about fracking. Some people are selling rights to use their land to companies drilling for natgas, but I worry about the chemicals that are shot into the earth along with water to help get to the gas.

I worry about water and land contamination, and would like to see more regulations in place to make sure the companies drilling for the gas are held accountable if and when a disaster strikes.

The Gulf oil spill was bad enough; let's at least try to keep our ground water and land resources clean.
  • Grandpa 2012/05/09 19:50:09
    Other Thoughts!
    Grandpa
    +4
    How do we keep our homes warm,cook our food .etc.???? The only gas they should worry about is what is coming out of thier backside >> Vote wise in 2012
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/05/09 19:36:12
    Other Thoughts!
    t.eliot, topbard
    Water is our one essential resource. If it's polluted and we drink it, we, and all other life, die. World-wide we are already heading for a water crisis what with the disappearing glaciers and the population pressures.
    Fracking uses incredible amounts of water AND it pollutes the ground water. No matter how much we think we need the natural gas, what are we doing to our children by using up their drinking water to meet our craving for "cheap" fossil fuels? Do you think future generations will look kindly on us for fouling their world?
  • LastRanger t.eliot... 2012/05/10 16:11:12
    LastRanger
    +1
    Not to get involved with a long drawn-out debate but: FYI

The EPA has had to drop every case against fracking because there has been no evidence that fracking was responsible for the alleged charges.
    Here is an article which appeared shortly after the EPA was forced to drop its allegations:
    A couple of things to note in the article, 1) Fracking takes place below aquifers, and 2) the industry is tasked to prove a negative (impossible).

Hay just saying.
    Analyst, Ph.D.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/e...
  • TheTailor 2012/05/09 19:18:43
    Other Thoughts!
    TheTailor
    +3
    Who in their right mind listens to the Sierra Club?
  • rknothead 2012/05/09 19:17:34
    rknothead
    +4
    Natural Gas is one of the cleanest alternatives to oil and one we have in abundance here in the USA. I'm not ready to move back into a cave like most Sierra Club members would like us to do if we are to follow their concepts.
  • lee 2012/05/09 19:06:27
    lee
    nat gas is a fossil fuel...

we need to move beyond fossil fuels.. .its killing the planet.

there is only ONE Earth.
  • relic 2012/05/09 18:57:51
    relic
    +4
    ...because they ARE the sierra club.
  • lee relic 2012/05/09 19:07:38 (edited)
  • relic lee 2012/05/09 19:09:39
    relic
    +4
    I've always said that; If the world is uninhabitable 50 years from now, so what!
  • lee relic 2012/05/09 19:14:57
    lee
    nice.

there's a legacy to be proud of.
  • relic lee 2012/05/09 20:21:52
    relic
    +4
    Thanks. I am kinda proud of it. Nice you agree.

2014/04/16 13:17:58