Do Yo Agree History Repeating Itself

Yankee Traveler 2012/09/14 09:07:49
I do agree (explain please)
I Disagree (explain please)

One of the remarkable things about getting older is the opportunity to see history repeat itself. Those of us who are old enough to remember enduring the abysmal economy of the late 1970s frequently tend to forget that there were other factors in Ronald Reagan’s landslide victory over Jimmy Carter in the 1980 election.

While Carter’s inept economic policies were most certainly the major factor that year, his equally maladroit foreign policy played a role in the demise of his presidency as well, especially the events that were unfolding in the Middle East at the time.

For 444 days, from November 4, 1979 until January 20, 1981, Carter increasingly appeared paralyzed as 52 Americans were held hostage by Islamist radicals who had overrun our embassy in Tehran, Iran. After a failed military rescue attempt resulted in the deaths of eight American servicemen, in addition to being regarded as an incompetent chief executive, Carter was increasingly viewed as a virtually impotent commander in chief; and a whopping majority of the electorate would hold him accountable for his considerable failures that following November.

The Iranians shrewdly waited to see who won the U.S. election. Of course, Reagan crushed Carter at the polls. The moment the new president was sworn in, the hostages were released. Few but the most diehard cynics would today deny the obvious reason.

Thirty-two years later, history is repeating itself on a not so dissimilar world stage, with Barack Obama in the role of the hapless President Peanut, and Mitt Romney as the Gipper.

A mob of extremists invaded the grounds of our embassy in Cairo, Egypt this week and replaced the American flag with an Islamic banner. The Obama administration claimed this was in response to an unflattering Internet video about the Muslim prophet Mohammed. Their initial hand-wringing, knee-jerk reaction was to issue a statement condemning “the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims — as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.”

That’s right. Instead of attacking the attackers — in either word or deed — our government condemned those who had made the video.

Within hours, obviously emboldened by Jimmy Obama’s wimpy rejoinder, Islamist savages attacked the American Embassy in Libya and murdered four diplomats, including our ambassador.

Obama’s reaction? With Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by his side for strength and credibility, he spoke cool platitudes from the White House Rose Garden about “working with the Libyan government to bring those responsible to justice.”

Later reports stated that these attacks may well have been orchestrated and coordinated by al-Qaida, but Jimmy Obama stuck to his story about the “offensive video.”

Playing the Gipper role beautifully, Romney responded by stating that he was outraged by the attacks and by the deaths of the Americans. “It’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.”

This brought waves of questions from the ever-inquiring minds of the national media, invested as they are in getting Jimmy Obama re-elected. How could Romney dare to comment on this issue at a time like this? Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! Isn’t politics supposed to stop at the water’s edge? Etc., etc., yada, yada, blah, blah, blah. (Honestly, doesn’t that sum up their analysis sometimes?)

But playing the title role that will surely make him the next President of the United States, Ronald Romney stuck to his guns:

“America will not tolerate attacks against our citizens and against our embassies,” he said. “We also will defend our constitutional rights of speech and assembly and religion. We have confidence in our cause in America. We respect our Constitution. We stand for the principles our Constitution protects. We encourage other nations to understand and respect the principles of our Constitution because we recognize that these principles are the ultimate source of freedom for individuals around the world.”

What would the Gipper say about that? I think he would say, “Now that sounds like a president!”

• seadog6608PWCM 2012/09/16 17:17:26
  • Yankee Traveler 2012/09/15 12:14:35
    I do agree (explain please)
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    Remember back in the depths of the recession of 1981-82, how President Ronald Reagan kept his chin up and exhorted American businesses to work hard and produce an economic recovery? Reagan had a program of tax cuts, limited domestic spending, deregulation and a strong defense aimed at overturning Soviet communism. He argued in speech after speech that his domestic plan would produce higher economic growth and lower unemployment, and that prosperity would generate the resources to fund a strong national security.
    Cynics proliferated. But Reagan stayed with it, praising free enterprise and entrepreneurs. And eventually, sunny skies replaced gloomy clouds. "Morning in America" appeared in 1983-84.But here's the key point: When Reagan praised our capitalist system and the businesses inside it, he provided a psychological lift to accompany his fiscal program. That was leadership. Now contrast President Reagan's performance with obama's recent attack on business. Instead of exhorting entrepreneurship, obama demonized it. Here's the money quote: "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."
    That's a put down to business recovery, not an exhortation. Reagan praised entrepreneurs into recovery. Why must obama trash them into recession?
    Let’s look ...

Let’s look at the job numbers. The pit of Reagan’s recession came in December 1982, when 99,032,000 people had jobs. Fourteen months later, employment had risen to 103,824,000, or job growth of 4,792,000. That really is impressive. It beats Obama’s record over a similar period—starting from the nadir of jobs—by 3,179,000 jobs.
    There’s another yardstick for comparing Reagan and Obama: what’s called the “labor force participation rate.” It’s the percentage of Americans 16 years old or older who have jobs. Under Reagan, the low point was 63.5 percent in September 1981, down from 63.9 percent when he took office. Under Obama, it was 64.2 percent last month, down from 65.7 percent in January 2009.
    This means just what you think it does. Percentage-wise, more people left the workforce under Obama than Reagan. Yes, both the population and the economy are larger today than in Reagan’s time. So it’s the percentages that are significant.
    Here’s another angle on the workforce. When Obama became president, there were 80,554,000 people considered by the Labor Department to be “not in labor force.” Of these, 74,864,000 were “not in labor force” and didn’t “want a job now.”

This number matters because it affects the unemployment rate.
  • texasred 2012/09/15 06:32:41
    I do agree (explain please)
    texasred
    +2
    I lived through the Carter years and this is nothing more than a deja vu silhouette. Carter was and still is a fool. Obama is a fool with an agenda.
  • Yankee ... texasred 2012/09/15 11:28:37
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    The only thing missing is the lines to the gas pumps!!
  • texasred Yankee ... 2012/09/15 15:38:31
    texasred
    +1
    Ahh... I remember it well. But they aren't fond memories!
  • Yankee ... texasred 2012/09/15 20:07:05
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    No they are not!! I was raising a family at the time and it was cheaper for me to buy pork chops than it was to buy ground beef! Coffee, sugar, flour, everything went from cents to dollars over night!! What a freaking nightmare that was! I am so glad that the kids are all grown up and are doing very well on their own, so it's just me and the Mrs. to contend with!
  • texasred Yankee ... 2012/09/15 20:41:40
    texasred
    +1
    Unfortunately there are many that went through it and still don't recognize the signs.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/15 04:38:11
    I do agree (explain please)
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    After watching the many clips of the speeches, it's as though Carter found a mad scientist and almost succeeded in transferring his consciousness into Obama.
  • Yankee ... Lawnmow... 2012/09/15 11:30:04
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    Almost everything going on is very reminiscent of the Carter years
  • wale63 2012/09/15 01:59:53
    I do agree (explain please)
    wale63
    +2
    imam Obama is now following the same pattern as Jimmy Carter, another failed President.
    Andy
  • Yankee ... wale63 2012/09/15 11:30:39
    Yankee Traveler
    +2
    Like father like son
  • les_gvt 2012/09/14 22:53:19
    I do agree (explain please)
    les_gvt
    +2
    This is what happens everytime we get a wimp as a president
  • Yankee ... les_gvt 2012/09/15 11:31:41
    Yankee Traveler
    +2
    This happens every time we get a democrat/liberal/progressive dictator in office
  • Callaway 2012/09/14 22:33:33
    I do agree (explain please)
    Callaway
    +2
    Yep, gas prices high check, trouble in the mid east check, embassies being attacked check, dribbling economy check, general mentality that government is out of touch check, decreasing national confidence and that of the Presidency in general check, only thing left is hideously high interest rates and Noblamo and the Peanut farmer could be twins.
  • Yankee ... Callaway 2012/09/15 11:32:54
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    Almost a mirror image, right down to the lips
  • Patriot Unit 2012/09/14 22:28:37
    I do agree (explain please)
    Patriot Unit
    +1
    I agree, in that, when people are so foolish as to not learn from their mistakes, or actions, that history is desisted to come back and bite them in the ass.

I myself find it dishonest for our government to try and make excuses for our belief in the Freedom of Speech. and on the other hand. Instead of defending the Freedom of Religion, only if it mean Freedom FROM Religion as those who would destroy the meaning of any part of our Constitution.

The misguided individual who made the stupid video is not the cause of this madness. Its the Muslim Brotherhood, and all other Radical Terrorism bent of those in the Islamic Religion. I condemn then, just as I would condemn the Christians and Catholics who killed millions because they would not believe. And I condemn those who follow blindly into the abyss in the name of any religion.

But just like Carter with Iran, you don't appear weak, in your response to these radical killers who use their religion as an excuse. And you for sure don't turn your back on an allies request for a meeting to go play footsie with your liberal stars and starlets. And you don't have your Secretary of State, or your Embassies, make any statement that may give these killers the impression that we are even weaker than we already are in the eyes of the wor...

But just like Carter with Iran, you don't appear weak, in your response to these radical killers who use their religion as an excuse. And you for sure don't turn your back on an allies request for a meeting to go play footsie with your liberal stars and starlets. And you don't have your Secretary of State, or your Embassies, make any statement that may give these killers the impression that we are even weaker than we already are in the eyes of the world.

These killers, and all the other dictatorships along with our allies, know when they see weakness in any government. And they thrive on it. Our President is a disgrace as far as I am concerned. You don't show weakness in the eye of these terrorists killers, even if you believe that they are seeking democracy.

These Radicals, and their supporters world wide, are out to control the world, and its peoples through their Misguided interpretation of the Islamic Religion. Not unlike the Communists would rule the world under their ideology. And those in this country that would destroy our Constitution to fit their agenda. So yes, History Does Repeat Itself If Allowed.
  • goatman112003 2012/09/14 19:54:05
    I do agree (explain please)
    goatman112003
    +3
    The only difference is one started the Shiites radicals into power and the other the Sunni radicals into power with the same result.
  • Kane Fernau 2012/09/14 15:58:41 (edited)
    I do agree (explain please)
    Kane Fernau
    +2
    Obama/Carter's weakness gives strength to Terrorists!
  • Theresa 2012/09/14 15:16:12
    I do agree (explain please)
    Theresa
    +1
    However, This time Jimmi will attack Iran!
  • Dwight 2012/09/14 14:33:56
    I do agree (explain please)
    Dwight
    +2
    Read the book, "A Distant Mirror", by Barbara Tuschman. Scary similarity.
  • ronbo51 2012/09/14 14:02:52
    ronbo51
    +1
    will remain to be seen. may i mention the kennedy admin also and the end result.
  • D D 2012/09/14 13:01:53
    I do agree (explain please)
    D D
    +3
    I was young but remember it well. My husband and I were just talking about that today. The whole thing with Iran was bad. It is happening again and in multiple countries now. It is a nightmare happening again.

People just downplay these muslims. Only a few are bad. They don't hate America. They are harmless.

I have known since 1979 these are people that are deadly serious and will not stop until they reach their goal, a Islamic caliphate. They know it will take a long time but they are patient. They have the will. They are not short sighted like westerners.
  • johnc D D 2012/09/14 13:07:47
    johnc
    +3
    Carter messed up in Iran.

Clinton had 2 simular attacks in Africa, but ignored it. like this idiot that decided LV was the place to go when America is attacked

What do these peace loving muslim have planned when Mitt takes office, after Clinton we got 9-11
    NOBAMA21012
  • No nons... johnc 2012/09/14 15:47:49
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +2
    Since 911 a mechanism for collecting, interpreting and sharing data to prevent
    attacks in the mainland. We haven't had anything major here since 911, and many
    potential attacks have be stopped..... Now we have another appeaser in the W/H,
    and we really don't know how they will respond to a potential attack, but we know
    the POTUS is out campaigning and fundraising to be reelected while our embassies
    around the Middle East are being breached and burned.

Our POTUS, who has a history of flashing those 'pearlies' and getting his way, has
    not been able to effectively address these recent attacks. They have escalated.......

obama characature
  • johnc No nons... 2012/09/14 17:24:42
    johnc
    +2
    Weakness leads to this,

America is a leadership nation

NOBAMA 2012
  • eyes wide open 2012/09/14 12:21:07
    I do agree (explain please)
    eyes wide open
    +3
    obutthole is carter, now we need Romney to be Regan, he should meet with the Israeli president.and he should stand up stronger them obutthead any time he opens his mouth
  • Daniel 2012/09/14 12:07:52
    I do agree (explain please)
    Daniel
    I know history repeats itself but don't really remember Carter. I was to busy casing Kim Dolan. She's now Kim Dolan Leto.
  • S and S 2012/09/14 11:49:15
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/09/14 11:46:12
    I do agree (explain please)
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +4
    I love the sight and smell of liberal DESPERATION in 2012.
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2012/09/14 11:45:44
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +1
    Nice story. It sounds like a well played plan to increase the tempo of the war drums.

I hate Obummer and everything about his impostor self. I see very very little improvement in a Romnut who works for the globalists on the sly.

You are obviously working to help select Romnuts. The manipulators always try to tweek history for their own benefit.
  • johnc Wally-M... 2012/09/14 13:09:52
    johnc
    +2
    clinton and Obama now have 2 attacks in Africa.

Will we have the same results from Obies that we did from slicks.

NOBAMA 2012
  • Yankee ... Wally-M... 2012/09/15 11:41:38
    Yankee Traveler
    Get over it and support your country. Ron Paul is done......over.......finished he never had a chance. Romney wasn't my first choice. I was part of a campaign to get Allen West to run for President. It didn't happen. My only choices is either Romney or obama......you figure the rest out....
  • Wally-M... Yankee ... 2012/09/15 12:20:28
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +1
    Like most Americans you seem to be satisfied with who ever the globalists place in front of you. That is why America is so screwed up. You do as you are told and settle for no choice. Sure barring some unforeseen situation Ron Paul is not going to get elected. Our loss. Romney or the impostor for the next 4 (?) years is definitely our loss. If it makes you feel good to vote even though the recipient is going to take us down the road to ruin, then congratulations on being just what you are expected to be. A sheeple.

I support my country by fighting for our Constitution and rights and protesting against tyranny. You?
  • Yankee ... Wally-M... 2012/09/15 12:34:13
    Yankee Traveler
    If you follow anyone then you would be considered a "sheeple" Anyone but obama has got to be the lesser of two evils. Like I said I am not a Romney fan......hell I'm not even republican. I wasn't a fan at all of McCain, but again, the lesser of two evils. I will not vote for obama, however a vote for anyone else or a no vote is a vote for obama. Voting is just about the only right I have left and i will use it. But sadly once again I will not be voting for someone..........I will be voting against someone. Let's face it, sooner or later the NWO or whatever you want to call them, will eventually get their way. But if it can be slowed down for just a few more years.............then why not? Like I said, the lesser of the two evils..........one's progression is a bit more slower than the other. So to be considered a "sheeple" I don't believe that I am, I am more supporting the one that SEEM's to be the better salesman rather than a preacher.........lol
  • Wally-M... Yankee ... 2012/09/15 12:55:36
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +1
    I understand the reasoning but I do not agree that by defeating the impostor we will be slowing down the destruction of America. Romney has stated that he would have signed NDAA with the language that destroys our fourth amendment. That in itself tells me that he and Obummer are on the same page.

The problem with waiting is the enemy gets stronger while we lose more and get weaker. The obvious attack on our second amendment going on now has a purpose. Voting is a waste of time and has become a fools game. IMHO our only chance is to take it to them and get this new revolution started. I am still hoping that there are enough patriots with the ability and know how to rid our oval office of the dictator wannabe soon. Time is a luxury we do not have.
  • Yankee ... Wally-M... 2012/09/15 20:23:19
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    I would be surprised to find that there is still that much backbone left in this country. I see/hear most people having all of the same gripes but in silence. Hand wringers and waiting for a bandwagon to jump aboard if there is someone or something that is in or within their alignment of ideology. People believe that voting is the right way to go. As I sit and watch things unfold in the Middle East, how barbaric and animalistic those people are.............I dread that happening here. Those people when they don't like something they show it and get some form of results. I don't believe that obama is going to let a silly little thing like voting get in his way, or the people that are pulling his strings. There is way to much time and money invested in this hoax. Personally I would have liked to have seen something take place already in terms of having cleansed the oval office. But for right now......and I hate cliches...........It is what it is.
  • Wally-M... Yankee ... 2012/09/15 20:39:11 (edited)
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +1
    There is only a month and a half left. Lets hope a plan is in the works. Most Americans will not have a clue. There are millions that are awake and aware. But if com is destroyed then it will be an epic battle and not one to look forward to.
    I do agree (explain please)
    +3
    Yes, history is repeating itself, in the same broad region, but in two different contexts at the same time.

The obvious one you're thinking about is 1979-1980: the Iran embassy sacking.

But I'd like to remind you of another: the Six-Day Arab-Israeli War.

Nasser threatened Israel with troops all over the Sinai and closing the Straits of Tiran. Today, Ahmadinejad and Khameini threaten Israel with a nuclear warhead (under development), and threaten the world with closure of the Straits of Hormuz (not put into effect--yet).

Wouldn't it be a gas if both of these break in the same campaign season?
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/14 11:38:01
    I do agree (explain please)
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    That's why liberals hate history. They would rather keep trying a proven failure.
  • Yankee ... Torchma... 2012/09/15 11:44:17
    Yankee Traveler
    Definition of an idiot: A person that keeps doing/trying the same thing over and over and over again expecting different results.

2014/11/23 20:18:31