Do we need term limits to get rid of those who have been in congress over two terms?

ken 2009/04/10 12:18:31

• Nanny 2009/07/30 20:36:40
    yes, congress has become elite with no responsibility to voters
    Nanny
    YES, YES, AND YES! Get them out and keep them away from Washington!
  • Gwynodd 2009/04/10 16:33:16
    Gwynodd
    YES, YES, YES - a thousands times YES.
  • Nanny Gwynodd 2009/07/30 20:37:44
    Nanny
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to copy you,, I didn't see your answer until I posted mine. Sorry again.
  • Brian 2009/04/10 13:59:22
    Brian
    +1
    I've been advocating term limits for years. It's about time everyone else woke up. First of all, how do you expect to bring about ANY type of change with the same old characters making the same old decisions day after day, after year, after year.

Term limits will not work alone, however. The only way to eliminate money and influence from the process is to accompany term limits with public financing of all elections. Two dollars given annually by all drivers at the time of license renewal would provide more funds for elections than was donated during the entire 2008 election cycle. No money, no influence.

Here's what I propose:

- No more than 2 six year terms for U.S. Senators
    - An increase in the terms of U.S. Representatives from 2 years to 4, with no representative serving more than 8 years.
    -Public Financing of all Federal elections (for 2 bucks, it can be your money buying influence)
    - Since the United States of America owns the airwaves and allows the media to use them at great profit, Media outlets must provide free and equal airtime to all "viable" candidtates (what's a viable candidate? I don't know, but if I knew all the details, I wouldn't be sitting here).
    -Each American must serve at least one 4-year term in the House...this will provide a sense of ownership...

Here's what I propose:

-Each American must serve at least one 4-year term in the House...this will provide a sense of ownership never before seen in this country. It served Athens quite well for hundreds of years.

This system would, in no way, limit free speech. It will only dictate what you can pay for it. We need to seriously consider this if we want to eliminate the stranglehold special interests now have on the government.
  • scott 2009/04/10 13:53:03
    scott
    Why should it be any different than the presidency?
  • I'm Left, You're Wrong 2009/04/10 12:38:06
    who cares?
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    Not necessarily. Those who serve us well tend to get reelected over and over, those who don't....don't. As it should be.
  • The San... I'm Lef... 2009/04/10 12:48:59
    The Sane One
    Not really-- the incumbents have a HUGE advantage over challengers.

And most of the people who vote depend on name recognition-- and they very seldom do any independent research on ANY candidate.

An incumbent politician would have to be embroiled in a MAJOR scandal (and thus get tons of negative press) for him to lose the built-in name recognition factor.
  • Brian I'm Lef... 2009/04/10 14:01:42
    Brian
    You've obviously never been represented by John Boehner?
  • Brian Brian 2009/04/10 14:04:15
    Brian
    He's been my representative for as long as I can remember, but I've never seen him at my door soliciting votes...he's never asked me for a campaign contribution. Why do you think that is? He obviously doesn't need my money or want my opinion. It doesn't mean he's serving me so well he doesn't need to talk to me.
  • ken I'm Lef... 2009/04/13 21:00:47
    ken
    Oh but if that were only true! It is not.
  • Brian I'm Lef... 2010/02/01 14:12:19
    Brian
    That is an absolute falsehood. Many voters who affiliate themselves with a party, either party, vote a straight party line ticket in the booth and it has nothing to do with performance.
  • Redleg 2009/04/10 12:35:41
    no, let them stay we voters are too misinformed to vote them out
    Redleg
    Old age will terminate their taking up space in the Senate.

A two term limit is too short for seasoning elected officials, but falling asleep in chambers is a dead give-a-way that they are over the hill.
  • ken Redleg 2009/04/13 21:07:06
    ken
    They are supposed to be seasoned before they get to the hill. Maybe that is the problem. The founders of our constitution could not belive anyone would keep these positions as a career. If they had envisioned that, they would have limited the terms. They also thought that the country, free of the kings control would continue to take an active role in their own government. When was the last time the voters showed up at over 60%.
  • Brian ken 2010/02/01 14:13:49
    Brian
    When's the last time elected officials gave them a reason too?
  • ken Brian 2010/02/01 16:47:16
    ken
    good point...then we need to be involved more on the local level for independents, republicans, democrats to bring more true talent to the elections. You would be amazed at how local officials react to constant local pressure.

we also need a Constitutional Amendment...no confidence. If the glorious parties keep giving us crap for officials then we vote no confidence and the seat does not get filled. Also no new laws can be passed because the Congress does not have full representation.
  • Brian Redleg 2010/02/01 17:47:49
    Brian
    I disagree, it just seems like that now because sometimes it's years between meaningful actions...but that's only because we are in perpetual campaign mode and good governance isn't always pretty, or popular.
  • The Sane One 2009/04/10 12:32:02
    The Sane One
    +1
    The worst thing that has happened to America is that we've allowed the Congress and Senate to be career choices-- we've institutionalized cronyism and corruption.
  • Redleg The San... 2009/04/10 22:01:11
    Redleg
    I, Senator Byrd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, of West Virginia zzzzzzzzzzzz resent that zzzzzz zzzzz remark and zzzzzzzzzz futthermore zzzzzzzzzzzz I would have to get a real zzzzzzz job if the hillbillies and zzzzzzzzzzz rednecks did not keep me zzzzzzzzzz in congress where I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz can catch up on my Z's as in zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Is It bed time zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yet?
  • The San... Redleg 2010/02/01 19:35:26
    The Sane One
    Well, don't forget that Byrd, while he was awake, managed to pump a LOT of federal funding into his state, his state has a higher highway budget than California.
  • Brian The San... 2010/02/01 17:50:34
    Brian
    Correction, the worse thing to ever happen to America is the two-party system...a system perpetuated by whom? the two parties who automatically take opposing views on all contentious issues, even when they don't believe their own positions whole heartedly, just because it's opposite the other guys view and a basis for dividing and conquering. Who died and gave all wisdom to one of the two parties?
  • The San... Brian 2010/02/01 19:36:36
    The Sane One
    Nobody gave them anything, they usurped the power and made it so that anyone who ISN'T a Democrat or a Republican has a MUCH harder time of running for office.
  • ken Brian 2010/02/01 21:35:54
    ken
    a very good point. the politicians know that they can win by keeping the people divided. By fighting each other over party beliefs, we do not have the ability to fight the enemy which is our leaders.
  • suz 2009/04/10 12:22:55
    suz
    everyone thought McCain was ancient, look at Congress. Talk about a bunch of wind bags elite responsibility voters mccain ancient congress talk bunch wind bags
    this is one of my favorite pix, couldn't resist adding it! thanks for the opportunity!
  • ken suz 2009/04/13 21:02:28
    ken
    thanks for the right graphic!

2014/09/01 21:16:24