Do teachers complain way to much?

bill 2010/04/08 20:54:07
My job is hard, I have a masters degree, I only make 45k a year, I have to take work home with me, I have to work weekends sometimes, I have to work on holidays.
My girlfriend is a teacher:
She does not work weekends.
She spends the week of xmas, easter, spring break, and many other holidays off with her children.
She gets the summer off - minus some couple of workshops
Her quality of life to have time to spend with her children exceeds mine.
SHE GETS PAID 42k A YEAR.
She does not complain about not getting paid over the summer because she budgets her money as if she worked a 12 month job, where as most teachers do not.
Now im not complaining about my job, I choose to do it. Just as all teachers choose to do it. Im sick of the crying "I got a masters, if I was in the private sector I would make so much more", THEN GO TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR. But they dont they complain and try to milk more tax payers money.
Keep in mind griefers to this post Im not saying your job is easy, I think it is a great and respectable job.

• Paxton Quigley 2010/04/10 00:06:59
    Yes and Im sick of hearing about it......
    Paxton Quigley
    +3
    yeah and you get 3 months of the year off----summer vacation----while we have to work like dogs!! so no i don't feel sorry for you

• pey 2013/06/22 16:35:28
    pey
    Just heard my little girls school are on strike this thursday i cant believe i work 12 hour nights get 2weeks off if i am lucky i talked to a teacher she was ashamed of tje strike her husband worked nights like me long shifts so she can see what it is like on the the othrr side
  • els 2012/06/24 07:12:49 (edited)
    els
    +1
    Don't be fooled people! Teachers do not work a full year so they are paid only for the months and annual hours they work. Some make more than people that work a full year! They do not work 8 hour days and they get their breaks and lunch just like anyone else. Those that grade their own papers, then maybe yes they can work up 8 hours. Most teachers now ask parents to volenteer to grade papers. These parents work 8 hrs to and have to help their kids with homework and run heir households to. Or they have the students trade papers in class and students can grade other students papers. Those that do grade the work themselves, then perhaps they work an 8 hr day. But, its part of their your job! Always has been and always will be! Get over it! Even if some put more than 8 hrs a day, keep in mind their salary is for about nine months. They work less days and hours and make same or more than most private sector jobs that require us to work 12 months! They also get more time off paid within those nine months. Holidays are... spring break, Thanksgiving Break (a week in California) , Christmas break is two or more weeks , Presidents day, Veterns day, Labor Day, Martin Luther King, and anyother government holiday I did not mention. Private sector does not get to enjoy that much t...
    Don't be fooled people! Teachers do not work a full year so they are paid only for the months and annual hours they work. Some make more than people that work a full year! They do not work 8 hour days and they get their breaks and lunch just like anyone else. Those that grade their own papers, then maybe yes they can work up 8 hours. Most teachers now ask parents to volenteer to grade papers. These parents work 8 hrs to and have to help their kids with homework and run heir households to. Or they have the students trade papers in class and students can grade other students papers. Those that do grade the work themselves, then perhaps they work an 8 hr day. But, its part of their your job! Always has been and always will be! Get over it! Even if some put more than 8 hrs a day, keep in mind their salary is for about nine months. They work less days and hours and make same or more than most private sector jobs that require us to work 12 months! They also get more time off paid within those nine months. Holidays are... spring break, Thanksgiving Break (a week in California) , Christmas break is two or more weeks , Presidents day, Veterns day, Labor Day, Martin Luther King, and anyother government holiday I did not mention. Private sector does not get to enjoy that much time off paid! In addition, take into consideration they get vacation and sick time within their 9 months. Quit comlaining teachers, you have it made. Some complain about student behaivor but hello, you choose this career! To those who complain.. Boo Hoo! This kids also live in our world, we all have to deal with our own kids and kids out in the world! Such is life!. The Orange County Register had an article with a link that you can enter a teachers name and see their salary. I know a kindergarten teacher making $88k teaching about 20 yrs. Also looked up names of teachers from schools nephews attend and salaries averaged in the upper 70k's to upper 80k's with quite a few making over 100k! Think about that! Google Orange County Register Teachers Salaries. Most schools in California have websites with Teachers names, get a few from different districts in Orange County to see for yourself! Sadly, our education system stinks in the USA. There are good teachers out there but not as many as one would like to beleive. And if they earn "10 year" they are guaranteed jobs wether they are good or not. How offer do you here of teachers being fired for poor performance? Really think about that!
  • marg_imp@hotmail.com 2011/09/12 20:39:40 (edited)
    marg_imp@hotmail.com
    we have teachers who work hard and get low pay which is not right and we have teachers who are paid well and complain 24 hours a day.....right now we have other issues that we have to worry about -- millions are being layed off again between end of 2011 until 2015.... millions have not found jobs that they lost 3 years ago...many small businesses are gone...maybe large businesses are going...the ones that have jobs are trying to hold on the best they can.....this teaching drama needs to put on the backburner for awhile.
  • ez 2011/01/17 06:25:22 (edited)
    ez
    The worst part about it is that it has never been a secret that they don't get paid well. I've been hearing this since I was in grade school. It seems as though they were promised a five figure salary since day one..... losers
  • ErinFisherHaraway 2010/11/19 22:54:12
    No they deserve all that time off, and should be paid more for their proffesi...
    ErinFisherHaraway
    I am a teacher and I think it's great that your girlfriend gets to spend time during her holidays not working. I wish I could do that-I work all the time. And when I'm not taking work home, I feel guilty about it. I have vowed not to take my work home, but so far this year, that just hasn't happened. I just calculated the time that I spent this week alone working (whether that be at home or at school) and I have put in 51 hours and I still have work to do! I also wish that I worked in a state that gave me 3 months off during the summer. We get two. Of those two months, 1-2 weeks is spent in summer meetings (for recertification and training) and I spend about two full weeks preparing for the next year and working in my classroom before the school year. So really I get about 4-5 weeks off. And yes, WE NEED THAT!!!! For mental rewiring, so to speak. You try staying calm and patient for 8 hours a day when 22 young people are all wanting and needing your attention. It is very draining. Not to mention that I pay for a lot of my own supplies. (About $500 out of my pocket on average each year.) And all of this for $34,000/year. I knew I wouldn't get paid very much going into this, yes. BUT, what they fail to mention to you when you are in college is all of the countle...
    I am a teacher and I think it's great that your girlfriend gets to spend time during her holidays not working. I wish I could do that-I work all the time. And when I'm not taking work home, I feel guilty about it. I have vowed not to take my work home, but so far this year, that just hasn't happened. I just calculated the time that I spent this week alone working (whether that be at home or at school) and I have put in 51 hours and I still have work to do! I also wish that I worked in a state that gave me 3 months off during the summer. We get two. Of those two months, 1-2 weeks is spent in summer meetings (for recertification and training) and I spend about two full weeks preparing for the next year and working in my classroom before the school year. So really I get about 4-5 weeks off. And yes, WE NEED THAT!!!! For mental rewiring, so to speak. You try staying calm and patient for 8 hours a day when 22 young people are all wanting and needing your attention. It is very draining. Not to mention that I pay for a lot of my own supplies. (About $500 out of my pocket on average each year.) And all of this for $34,000/year. I knew I wouldn't get paid very much going into this, yes. BUT, what they fail to mention to you when you are in college is all of the countless hours you will spend each week just preparing to teach! So, please give teachers the benefit of the doubt here. It's always easy to criticize something when you are ignorant of it. Oh and by they way, these are my taxpayer dollars too.
  • Matt Ke... ErinFis... 2012/11/28 01:54:34
  • Paxton Quigley 2010/04/10 00:06:59
    Paxton Quigley
    +3
  • MW121 2010/04/09 10:10:43
    MW121
    First it's a pretty known fact that if you want to become a teacher you accept the fact that you are not going to make alot of money.. It's about you wanting to teach children and help them get educated. If money was something that was in your quest, then the teaching profession isn't a place to go... Should there be an opportunity to make more money.. I think there should and it should be run like a business.. If you meet certain criteria and your kids pass with certain percentages, then there should be overachievement bonuses... But until schools start treating education like a business.. it's never going to happen. We've already seen a good number of well qualified teachers get out of education due to the wages.. You can make more money somewhere else, so why teach... So if you make the decision to become a teacher.. stop crying, because you made that decision and it's an honorable decision....
  • LeAnn 2010/04/09 05:46:09
    LeAnn
    +1
    They have to deal with bad attitude, bratty, snot nosed kids five days a week. They are responsible for teaching kids during grade school years so that they can grow up and be successful themselves. That's a lot of responsibility. And they don't get paid THAT much everywhere. In my town, they get $30,000 a year. And sure they get holidays, but many teachers have to take a second job during the summer just to make enough to live on because like I said, they don't get paid that much everywhere. I think teachers have every right to complain. When they can actually earn $50,000 a year (which usually takes many years of experience, in many places) THEN they can stop complaining.
  • Merl 2010/04/09 04:45:38
    Merl
    +1
    Considering I know of no other profession where you are guaranteed to keep your job without proven results day after day, year after year, I will not listen to anymore whining from the public school daycare workers(teachers)!
  • Satalink 2010/04/09 01:04:07 (edited)
    Satalink
    Is this not what you wanted to do? Don't you get an extensive vacation break as compared to other professions?

I think it's only a matter of time before the entire education system goes online. Where students can learn and progress at their own rate rather than being held down to the rest of the class or pushed to keep up. Finacially, it's the smarter thing to do. There would only be a need for a handfull of educators working with software engineers/web designers as opposed to the massive amount of educators we have now. Additionally, the fuel and maintenance cost for school busses would be elliminated. Finally, there is the saftey issues in transporting and exposing others to psychotic adolecent stresses that other households indirectly bring to the classrooms.

If parents want their children to engage in social activities, they may do so at their expense.
  • Luka Delarosa 2010/04/08 21:00:38
    Luka Delarosa
    +2
    c mon...they are teachers...teaching stuff to our future....they deserve more
  • bill Luka De... 2010/04/08 21:16:29
    bill
    +1
    Hmmm, Paramedics and EMT's save lives get payed squat, police,firefighters, people who make the food we need to sustain ourselves, people who build our shelter, I guess they dont count though because they are not of the "educated, refined lot".
    Are they being payed well considering their performance as compared to other larger countries, as far as primary education goes we are nowhere near the top.
  • Luka De... bill 2010/04/08 21:17:43
    Luka Delarosa
    all above deserve more too
  • ErinFis... Luka De... 2010/11/19 22:56:46
    ErinFisherHaraway
    agreed.
  • Beth B bill 2012/06/07 22:58:35
    Beth B
    +3
    I agree. Let's not forget nurses, CNA's, lab techs and the like who ate saving lives as well. The nursing career is one of the most underpaid, underappreciated professions. Think about our jobs and how overwhelming it can be. I have never known a nurse who complains nearly as much as teachers and who get little time off, work very long hours and have some of the nastiest job duties. People are always complaining about their health care and don't take into consideration nurses sometimes up to 30 or more patients to care for, miss much needed breaks and are so completely exhausted with no complaints other than sore feet and aching muscles. That is because nurses love what they do and don't expect rewards for it. I am so tired of hearing teachers complain about their jobs. Don't they know what they are getting into before chosing that career? I think most teachers go into it with great benefits, all the time off and other perks in mind and that is sad.
  • pey Luka De... 2013/06/22 16:36:51
    pey
    +3
    Bollocks
  • SimplyShannon 2010/04/08 20:56:42
    SimplyShannon
    +1
    they really do complain a lot
  • Ana B0n B0n 2010/04/08 20:55:43

2014/07/31 00:08:41