Do People Have The Right To Access "Gay Conversion Therapy"?

☆WILLIAM☆ 2012/12/04 22:21:02
Yes. It Should Be Accessible
No, It Shouldnt Be Accessible
Gay Conversion Therapy is a commonly practiced form of psychology aimed at changing a gay person's sexual orientation. Due to it's politically incorrect nature, Citing psychological damage to patients,California passed a law that bans the practice, and has also filed a lawsuit against three physicians who practiced it. Ironically, these are the same people that openly support sex changes as a solution to the frustrations of gay people. Nevermind a few therapy sessions causing someone harm, sex changes are highly complex surgeries that have long-term physical and psychological affects. But, no one has a problem allowing someone the option of having a sex change. Therefore, why should it be a problem for someone to seek psychological treatment for the same issue? Sexual orientation is psychological in nature, and therefore possibly reversible through therapy. Having a "sex change" does absolutely nothing but mutilate a persons genitalia.

• ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/12/05 01:13:55
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +5
    Keep in mind that when you are talking about anything Calif that the state is full of nut case. A state that need jobs and revenues desperately continues to drive manufacturing out of the state with taxes and regulation. A state that sends people like Pelosi and Boxer to Congress and reelects a failed governor from the past.

• wade.charnock 2013/08/21 04:41:31
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    wade.charnock
    People have the right to do what they wish...what are gay people afraid of? Even APA says sexual orientation can take a long time to figure out. What are you afraid...Straightophobic?
  • Jeditard 2013/08/21 03:52:46
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    Jeditard
    +1
    There is no problem with offering this service to consenting adults. Just like people being hypnotized to stop eating or smoking, many professionals will support the practice while many others will not put much stock into it. Everyone should be free to choose whom they are. Maybe I am a bisexual who is conditioning herself to be completely gay because sometimes you breeders make me sick. Live and let live ladies and gentlemen!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/12/21 04:25:40
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Medical Science is discovering now that most of this crap is just based on POLITICS . . . Psychotics? . . . Polichology? . . . Hmmmmmm? . . . . Throw some more money at it, Feds . . .
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/12/09 17:20:58
    No, It Shouldnt Be Accessible
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +2
    I'm answering "no" because the question doesn't address any of the actual up-front or underlying issues.

(1) The California law DOES NOT ban the practice of or access to "conversion therapy." What it BANS is participation in conversion therapy by MINORS...who have no legal say in being forced to participate in it.

Adults are still able to receive the "therapy" if they wish.

(2) Your argument regarding "sex changes" is irrelevant. Gay men and women are not transgendered or transexual individuals: they are men and women attracted to the same sex or gender. No one, as far as I know, advocate or "support sex change as a solution to the frustrations of gay people."
  • VicLucyCole 2012/12/08 16:55:42
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    VicLucyCole
    +1
    I personally don't believe in the theory that you "cant change who you're attracted to" if someone honestly wants to change their sexual orientation, then I think it should be available to them.
  • Tordgaard 2012/12/08 14:19:34
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    Tordgaard
    If the person is an adult and if he/she wishes to voluntarily access (or exit) such therapy, then the person should have the right to give it a try. But, you can go to a fortuneteller or astrologer if you wish too - it will do you about as much good.
  • wade.ch... Tordgaard 2013/08/21 04:45:12
    wade.charnock
    Sounds like someone who knows nothing about true Conversion...Guess you don't believe in the story of Scrooge do you...was he changed? Yes he was and millions of people have had their lives transformed by their faith
  • Tordgaard wade.ch... 2013/08/21 10:07:28
    Tordgaard
    Scrooge, I regret to inform you, was fictitious. As far as your faith - if it finds any need to 'convert' people from one sexual orientation to another, then it's a fiction too.
    But - as I very clearly stated - if an adult wishes to subject himself or herself to this charade of a therapy, it's their right to do so. But, it is not acceptable to impose it upon a child for any reason (including delusions of phantoms coming to save the day).
  • rk 2012/12/07 05:19:04
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    rk
    +3
    Tired of Homo crap
  • Tordgaard rk 2012/12/08 14:21:21
    Tordgaard
    +1
    Did someone require you to access the poll?
  • Lolaita 2012/12/07 05:03:21 (edited)
  • Tordgaard Lolaita 2012/12/08 14:33:26 (edited)
    Tordgaard
    Hi Lolaita - Yes, it sure was surprising that the article made the false statement that this type of treatment is commonly practiced. I'd guess most reputable professionals would not even offer such treatment (in reference to 'conversion' not reassignment).
  • Lolaita Tordgaard 2012/12/08 19:29:59
    Lolaita
    :D Yeah. I wish that people speaking on the subject knew what they were talking about. /sigh
    it's great that you recognized that, I wish more people here had.
  • Jeditard Lolaita 2013/08/21 04:08:01
    Jeditard
    This question is not mentioning whether or not the treatment should be performed on minors. So you are doubley correct that it is misleading (to those following the news) and comparing apples to oranges(in the SRS vs. the hetero-reconditioning). Imagine for yourself a person born with sexual attraction to the same gender. He or she is convinced that homosexuality is mortally wrong and is thrown into a deep self-mutilatingly suicidal depression. I would rather see him/her get brainwashed into being straight than die. This is to assume the patient is refusing all other treatment. Sorry for using an extreme example, I think this "treatment" is abhorrent too and maybe is only justified in such a brutal scenario.
  • wade.ch... Jeditard 2013/08/21 04:47:37
    wade.charnock
    You aren't born with this...you learn it...from perverted adults...there is not genetic evidence that you are born homosexual....sorry not there...PhD student in Psychology...even APA website does not connect homosexuality to genetics...go read it
  • Jeditard wade.ch... 2013/08/21 05:11:12 (edited)
    Jeditard
    I never said that anyone was born with anything other than sexual attraction. I do not like to think of people being born gay or straight. People are just born people. If anything, I believe a person's sexuality may be fluid and ever-changing as you seem to suggest by implying that it can be learned "from perverted adults." I was also a Psych major at one time and was fascinated by the work of Kinsey. As a bisexual, my scale fluctuates constantly and I will never know what it is like to feel 100% gay or 100% straight. Also, I hope you are not planning to practice psychology in the United States. As the APA removed homosexuality from the DSM way back in '73, it seems to represent a professional conflict of interest for you. Your talents might be put to better use in a like-minded nation like Russia. I wish you a good day and a happy life!
  • T4yl0r-r4y 2012/12/07 02:38:06
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    T4yl0r-r4y
    +1
    You cannot change your attraction, but if a psychological and physical mature person wants to willingly make use of any "therapy" that might make it easier for them to suppress the attraction, then they should be allowed to do so. I don't think it should be encouraged, but I don't think it should be banned either.
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/12/07 00:18:41
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    It is called "Reparative Therapy" by those who practice it.

It is not commonly practiced. In fact, the vast majority of psychologists do not use this "therapy".

It should be available for any adult who wishes to try it.

The law you are referring to forbids its use on minors.
  • sockpuppet Chris- ... 2012/12/07 14:03:37
    sockpuppet
    +1
    "...on minors." Little details like that change everything, don't they? :O\

Some halfwit posted an intentionally misleading story here the other day, talking about sex education classes being held in some city in California. Apparently, they hire porn stars to demonstrate techniques, and they give serious instruction to adults who seek it.

For some reason, almost everyone that responded to that poll had it in their heads that these were going on in the schools, and children were being instructed this way.

It is clear that these are adult classes, held in an armory building... but nobody bothers to read past the 'teaser' sodaheadline: "Coming" (sic) to a school near you... live sex classes"

SUCH outrage at the (fictitious) idea, and then outrage directed at me for asking where they got the idea that this was meant for children to attend. One guy suggested that I was a pedophile because I questioned the reality behind his insane little tirade.

Details, details. :O) I just thought I'd share that with you... human nature at its best.
  • Chris- ... sockpuppet 2012/12/07 14:12:39
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    lol... Ah yes; Details. Those nasty little tidbits of truth that ruin a perfectly good tirade. :^D
  • wade.ch... Chris- ... 2013/08/21 04:49:11
    wade.charnock
    Thousands of Christians have left behind the Homosexual lifestyle and this repressed information by the pro gay liberal media
  • Chris- ... wade.ch... 2013/08/21 06:04:57
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    As I said, "It should be available for any adult who wishes to try it."

Let's leave it at that.
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/06 21:08:32
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    of course it should be available! ... only bigots would suggest anything other than that
  • Dan 2012/12/06 12:54:30
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    Dan
    As long as it is voluntary I see no problem.
  • Hamilton 2012/12/05 19:57:49
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    Hamilton
    +1
    Shouldn't that be THEIR option if they so choose?
  • bye Hamilton 2012/12/07 05:19:26
    bye
    +1
    I agree it's an option their option not forced on anyone.
  • Bastion 2012/12/05 18:35:13
    No, It Shouldnt Be Accessible
    Bastion
    People have the right to waste money on anything - but "Gay Conversion Therapy" can't be sanctioned, licensed, or offered as legitimate medical care in a hospital or treatment center, because it's bogus science.

"Therapists" should be allowed to set up shops like Palm Readers and "Spiritual Gurus"; and churches can certainly include "Pray Away The Gay" along with their other superstitious nonsense.
  • ☆WILLIAM☆ Bastion 2012/12/05 23:33:20
    ☆WILLIAM☆
    +3
    youre simply picking and choosing what you want to be viewed as science. a sex change isnt beneficial at all, but Im sure you dont have a problem with people having their genitals mutilated
  • Bastion ☆WILLIAM☆ 2012/12/06 00:00:08
    Bastion
    I do think sex change surgery is weird and extreme - but I feel pretty much the same way about most cosmetic surgery that isn't specifically corrective. But it's not me . . . I wouldn't want to make that call. I'm sure, at least, that for some people it's the only way they can go on living, and it's not my business.

I'd like to set up a "God Delusion Conversion Therapy" business . . . wanna invest?
  • ☆WILLIAM☆ Bastion 2012/12/06 01:04:55
    ☆WILLIAM☆
    +1
    of course I wouldnt, but its your right to do it if you want to.
  • Bastion ☆WILLIAM☆ 2012/12/06 02:04:02
    Bastion
    How nice.
  • wade.ch... Bastion 2013/08/21 04:52:49
    wade.charnock
    The only people delude are the ones promoting Homosexuality without telling you that HIV and HCV are killing gays in increasing numbers world wide...go look it up...Australian and Swiss researchers have information about the coming pandemic
  • Bastion wade.ch... 2013/08/21 10:20:50
  • Tordgaard ☆WILLIAM☆ 2012/12/08 15:10:20
    Tordgaard
    +1
    Hi William - A "sex change" isn't related to conversion therapy. Although I'm not trained in the psychology of a transgender person, I have known such persons and it's very clear that they do not consider themselves to be gay.
    I've known two preoperative MtF persons and neither considered their sexual identity to be that of a male. I've also seen an interview with a postoperative MtF who was a practicing lesbian.
    And, I've never met a gay man who wanted to become a woman (including those who are transvestites). These examples seem to discredit any notion that there's a relationship between sexual reassignment surgery and so-called gay conversion therapy.
  • ☆WILLIAM☆ Bastion 2012/12/07 00:23:17
  • Bastion ☆WILLIAM☆ 2012/12/07 02:18:04
    Bastion
    No thanks. I don't want to join your club.
  • ☆WILLIAM☆ Bastion 2012/12/07 02:18:25
  • wade.ch... Bastion 2013/08/21 04:51:04
    wade.charnock
    Sounds like you haven't been to church in a while and I doubt you know much about the love of the Gospel
  • sue 2012/12/05 17:42:39
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    sue
    +2
    I think if a person wants this kind of therapy, and feels it would make their life better then they should be able to try it.
  • PetrifiedElephantPoop 2012/12/05 16:57:03
    Yes. It Should Be Accessible
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    +2
    Should straight folks have the right to gay conversion therapy?...sure. Visit your local gay bar and drink up.

But really....had you ever thought of trying to change your own orientation? See if you can focus on penises and hairy butt cracks...licking furry balls and passionate man on man french kissing. If you can focus and begin to love those images...welcome to the life.

If you can't..then why ask others to do something you can't do.

2014/10/20 07:43:52