Do Minimum Wage Laws Kill Jobs? Who should decide what an unskilled worker with no experiance is worth to the company who created that job?

Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/22 11:26:36
Yes, Minimum Wages laws kill job opportunities.  The Company should pay what the labor is worth to them.
No, Minimum Wage Laws provide an income to people that need it, regardless if their job skills can command such compensation.

By Neal Boortz

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. wants to again raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10. Why? Because Jesse Jackson Jr. believes that $10 is not an “unreasonable starting point.” Well isn’t that great. Apparently Jesse Jackson Jr. also believes that this is a decision for him to make, rather than allowing private businesses to determine the value of their employees. Just remember that leftist political hacks ALWAYS believe that government knows best.

If they really knew what’s best, they would understand the overall impact of increases in the minimum wage. Turns out that it isn’t all the proggies promised. Let’s just look at teenagers, who generally return home for the summer to work minimum wage jobs. Consider this analysis from SayAnythingBlog:

The Employment Policies Institute has released a new report detailing teen unemployment in the various states for April of 2012. Of the top 5 states in terms of teen unemployment, four have minimum wages higher than the federal standard. Of the bottom five states for teen unemployment, just one has a minimum wage higher than the federal standard. Going further, of the 20 states with the lowest teen unemployment just 4 have a minimum wage above the federal level. Of the top 20 states for teen unemployment, nine have a minimum wage above the federal minimum.

Proggies can’t seem to understand why increasing the cost of labor would lead to increased unemployment. These are the same people who want to stimulate the private sector by hiring more government workers.
== == ==
Who do you think should determine what a job is worth and what wages can be paid by the company that created that job?

read the rest: http://www.boortz.com/weblogs/nealz-nuze/2012/jun/20/minimum-...

Read More: http://www.boortz.com/weblogs/nealz-nuze/2012/jun/...

• \V/ 2012/06/22 16:54:17
    No, Minimum Wage Laws provide an income to people that need it, regardless if...
    \V/

• Brosia 2012/07/22 05:08:15
    Brosia
    Minimum wage laws will harm businesses in the very short term. If people had more money to spend, then all businesses would prosper, because people would be able to visit more often.
  • Bastion 2012/07/17 16:33:54 (edited)
    Bastion
    Since the Federal reserve now owns all Americans, they are commodities. All commodities have a set price.
    The value of an hour of human labor should be a generally agree-upon commodity.

If the value of labor is at the whim of "job creators" (capital), but NOT guaranteed to the "wealth producers" (labor), the system is rigged to become fuedalism.
  • Adakin ... Bastion 2012/07/17 18:00:52 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Bastion: "the Federal reserve now owns all Americans, they are commodities"
    Please explain.
    == ==
    Bastion: "All commodities have a set price."
    Really? I just left the http://www.cmegroup.com/ exchange website. Please provide support/citation for your claim of a "set price" for "all commodities".
    == ==
    Bastion: "The value of an hour of human labor should be a generally agree-upon commodity"

Sir, If one hour of my time generates $1000 for you and an hour of someone elses time generates just $250 for you, are you saying that you will pay the same wage to both of us? If that is what you are saying, I would quit and go to work for someone willing to pay me more than the $250 guy.
    == ==
    Bastion: " If the value of labor is at the whim of "job creators" (capital), but NOT guaranteed to the "wealth producers" (labor), the system is rigged to become fuedalism."

Sir, you are wrong on several of your points. Capital and labor are two components of wealth creation. Just as flour, eggs and water are components of bread creation, so is labor and capital components of wealth creation. There is a symbiotic relationship between the components to create a disired result. Neither is worth more by itself, than the other as both are needed and both are valued based upon the benefits ...

Please explain.
    == ==
    == ==

== ==

Sir, you are wrong on several of your points. Capital and labor are two components of wealth creation. Just as flour, eggs and water are components of bread creation, so is labor and capital components of wealth creation. There is a symbiotic relationship between the components to create a disired result. Neither is worth more by itself, than the other as both are needed and both are valued based upon the benefits each component provides to the end result.

As I disagree with your statement, please provide support/citation for your claims so that you can prove me wrong.
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/07/17 16:11:12
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    Minimum wage is way to low,and USA is a first world country.One can barley live on $15 per hour let alone $10 per hour.With the cost of living one could never make it on $7.25 per hour.I do not want to hear it is an entry level position,when in fact many could stay at this level of pay their whole lives.
  • Adakin ... Prime T... 2012/07/17 18:02:41
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Sublime, what should the value of labor, as a commodity be based upon? Need? or Worth?

Would you hire me for $15/hr if I could only produce $10/hr worth of value for you?
  • Prime T... Adakin ... 2012/07/17 18:09:53
    Prime Time Lime
    You are speaking of working an a commission basis as in sales.The problem is that there is no guarantee for the salesman,thus the salesman has no wages.A conventional job should not be based on that.Any job should be paying at least $15 per hour these days.Otherwise people will either be destined for the street or turn to crime.
  • Adakin ... Prime T... 2012/07/17 18:25:15
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    "You are speaking of working an a commission basis as in sales"

Not true, if I was a welder, or a book keeper or any salaried person working for you and providing a measurable benefit to you or your firm, my statement is applicable. If I could only provide you with $10 per unit of benefit, are you saying you should still pay me $15 per unit?

If so, how long do you think you will stay in business?
  • Prime T... Adakin ... 2012/07/17 18:28:00 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    One other way to look at things is that if the employer is paying unlivable wages where is the incentive to work harder for an employer.Raise the wages and work performance will follow.
  • Adakin ... Prime T... 2012/07/18 01:20:59
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    "Raise the wages and work performance will follow."

Really? Wow… Can you give me an example of where your wage versus performance theory has worked?

Tell me Sublime, would you pay a restaurant a filet or rib-eye price for a hamburger and then hope that they bring a steak out to your table? Of course not!

There’s a reason why diner for two at Ruth’s Chris Steak House can cost over $150 to get out the door while Outback can feed two people pretty good steaks for under $50. You are paying for the perception of better ambiance and service.

I’ve found that customers buy service just as employers buy labor. Provide the customer better service and the customer will be willing to pay more for it. Provide the employer better service and the employer will be willing to pay more so the worker doesn't go elsewhere to work.

I owned several auto parts stores where some of my employees were paid salary and some were paid commission. The commission guys made their own pay (30% of the profit they generated for the firm) and the salaried folks were paid based on whatever it took for me to retain the good ones and keep them from leaving. I wasn’t in business to “create jobs”… I was in business to “create PROFITS”.

It is my experience that when the worker provides the increase in perf...

It is my experience that when the worker provides the increase in performance, (s)he then earns the wage increase by demonstrating that they can provide the employer with enough added benefits to the firm that the employer is afraid that the worker could take his/her skills, knowledge and ability elsewhere and make more money. That is the ONLY reason why I would pay an employee more.... and my employees were the top earners in our industry, in our market. As a result, I was able to "buy" the best work force... just as you are able to "buy" the best steak dinner by paying somewhat more than you would for a burger.

Again, please tell me where you have found YOUR system to work?
  • vdehl 2012/07/15 14:01:49 (edited)
    Yes, Minimum Wages laws kill job opportunities. The Company should pay what ...
    vdehl
    Everyone knows the answer to this question. The greed and immorality of some sob's knows no bounds. Of course there should be laws to protect us all from such people! These protective laws should be enforced to the fullest always. Employers who cheat people out of the overtime wages should be taken to court and made to paid. Employers who think of their employees as animals or beasts of burden, should be made to pay in an average American court, in hard cold cash! Even if they have managed to kill the employee with inadequate, illegal, backbreaking, murderous work, along with their wives and maybe even their children. They should be made to make payments to the survivors. How can anyone be against the minimal protection offered by the minimum wage law? minimum wage

How much is the employee worth? How much of the employee does the $7.50 per hour buy? Do people who accept less than the minimum wage for their services treason themselves into unfathomable losses when the employer conclusively shows in some court we were not at, that the employee was very much favored and treated with charity as proven by the fact that he worked for less than minimum wage? This are modern times and this is a real case, not a theoretical one.
  • Dagon 2012/07/13 17:54:06
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/07/13 16:57:56
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Some small companies are making their pay scales be relative. The lowest paid is given a percentage of the highest paid (owner) By small I mean small, not multibillion dollar companies defined as small because of number of OWNERS. The middle class grows only when that gap is smaller
  • Denny 2012/07/13 16:48:26
    Denny
    What if you're worth more than minimum wage??? That's all the business has to give you to start. in a workers economy you could leave and go somewhere else but what about now?? with 20% waiting to take that job.
  • ScoutLdr 2012/07/05 11:09:07
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    As Milton Friedman said companies will hire fewer workers, charge higher prices and use more machinery to become more efficient. Also the cost of the equipment is an tax write-off for next seven years as it depreciation in value.
  • ScoutLdr ScoutLdr 2012/07/05 11:12:40
  • Harold 2012/06/26 16:50:43
    Harold
    +1
    I feel that the minimum wage laws keep many from becoming financially successful, especially when they have lost a good paying job. Think about it. How many people with a minimum wage job have a vehicle, a family, are going to college, keep up their auto and home owner's insurance, have health and dental insurance, regularly see a doctor, dentist, and optometrist, and travel on their vacation time?

You would have to be working a full-time job, and hopefully the company has some sort of fringe benefits.

Maybe, I have been in poverty for so long, that I just don't see how it's possible.
  • bettyboop 2012/06/26 12:20:20
    bettyboop
    I believe there has to be a standard. Otherwise those of us who are willing to take minimum wage jobs can be taken advantage of. Somebody has to do the job, if they are not skilled enough for the said wage, find somebody else. But a minimum wage is needed to protect workers.
  • Adakin ... bettyboop 2012/06/26 17:27:24
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Betty: "But a minimum wage is needed to protect workers"

Protect workers from what, Betty?

If a worker has skills and abilities that are in demand, employers are more than willing to pay for those skills because they have to compete with other employers to get the best quality labor.

But if someone has limited skills or skills that are not in demand, they cannot economically be employed.

So who is really being protected by a minimum wage?

Who benefits from "protecting" people from allowing low skilled workers to work at a wage where there is an incentive by the employer to hire a low skilled worker?
  • ScoutLdr bettyboop 2012/07/05 11:21:31
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    Betty you have to develop your skills. Here's a place to start. Watch this video which explains why the Minimum Wage Laws hurt the worker. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/sv...

• Adakin ... ScoutLdr 2012/07/10 19:25:37 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Great video ScoutLeader... thanks for posting it! Excellent source of free market educational videos...

• ScoutLdr Adakin ... 2012/07/14 01:58:43
    ScoutLdr
    You're welcome Adakin.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2012/06/26 05:05:04
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +3
    In a free market economy it should not be the Gov't nor is it the employer that sets a wage.
    It should be the Market that sets the wage just as it is now,
    with anything other than menial work.
    If a company offers a ridiculously low wage for a particular job, they will get no takers. They have to increase the wage to a point someone is willing to fill the job.
  • Bureauc... Bureauc... 2012/06/26 05:05:51
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +2
    It also sickens me to hear bleeding heart liberals say ''minimum wage isn't a living wage''.
    It was never intended to be. Get off your @ss and learn a trade!
  • Adakin ... Bureauc... 2012/06/26 12:10:00
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Exactly! If no one takes the job, the employer will have to offer a higher wage. Labor is a marketable commodity just like anything else. People will go to the gas station that posts a price 10 cents less than the station across the street, and wages are the same thing. Employers are "buying" labor... if the cost of labor increases beyond what the labor is worth to them, they will move to where labor prices allow the business to benefit. The ideal is where both labor "sellers" and labor "buyers" are in agreement and both can benefit. But when a third party (through the force of law) imposes a mandate upon either party, the system becomes unbalanced and you end up with an economy like what we have today in the U.S.
  • KrSpo 2012/06/25 15:12:22
    KrSpo
    You know, one can tell someones level of ignorance when one sees a picture like the Obama one. I feel sorry for your children, that you might actually inspire them to the same level of ignorance and racism as you have. It's sad really that someone wants to leave this level of ignorance as their legacy.

As far as minimum wage. This was brought about in 1938 due in part to the Great Depression and BIG BUSINESS attempting to pay the work force pennies on the dollar for work, only to line their pockets. It's funny, that today our Conservatives will gladly do anything to help Big Business, when they in fact would be the most affected if minimum wage was taken away. This looking at the literacy and education rate of conservatives.
  • DFA 2012/06/25 00:16:30
    DFA
    Minimum wage needs to be raised. Can you imagine raising a family on that?
  • Adakin ... DFA 2012/06/25 02:16:16
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    DFA, what would be a good minimum wage? $50/hr? $250/hr? Could you raise a family on that?

What if the worker can't provide enough benefits to the employer to justify the mandated wages, benefits, taxes and adminitrative costs that the employer must incur to hire that low skilled person?

Whats the difference between a mandated minimum cost for labor that is greater than what the worker can provide... and "charity"?

Consider that when minimum wages were $1/hour, one hour of work at that minimum wage would buy just over two gallons of gas and would buy a Big Mac,Fries and a Drink. Today, the minimum is $7.25/hour and it still only buys just over two gallons of gas, or buy a Big Mac, Fries and Drink.

If the minimum wage was $1000 per hour, whos to say that the cost of two gallons of gas, and a Happy meal wouldn't cost $1000? How are you gonna raise a family on that?
  • DFA Adakin ... 2012/06/25 02:20:31
    DFA
    I'd say a decent minimum wage would be around $10/hr. Not anything absurd like you suggested. You are assuming that people are "low skilled".
  • Adakin ... DFA 2012/06/25 21:39:45 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    DFA, why are you ignoring my analogy between cost of living and minimum wage increases? If $1/hour buys the same stuff as $7.25/hour, why do you think inflating the cost of unskilled labor to $10/hour would improve the living standard for the folks you claim to wanna help?

Can you not see that as soon as you impose the increased wage floor, that the cost of stuff would increase commensurately? A friend of mine that owns a downtown bar & grill in Charleston ("Cumberland's"... best wings and Chile in town!) said that his "lunch special" has always been priced at "just below whatever minimum wage is".... because that's what the market will support.

DFA: "I'd say a decent minimum wage would be around $10/hr. Not anything absurd like you suggested."

Why $10? Why not $8 or $12... Or $1000? Why mandate ANY minimum? What if our hypothetical unskilled worker is unable to provide enough value to an employer to justify $10? What if they are perfectly able to produce $5 of value each hour? Should THAT person NOT be able to get a job? To build self esteem? To learn a work ethic? Is that what you want? Do you want to deign job opportunities for people in that economic bracket?

DFA: "You are assuming that people are "low skilled".

You are exactly correct! We are discussing a MINIMU...

You are exactly correct! We are discussing a MINIMUM wage because higher skilled people don't NEED a minimum wage as they are able to provide an employer with value enough to warrant a sufficiently higher wage.

Why should I NOT assume the party being discussed is low skilled?

Or maybe you don't think that a highly skilled worker could command a higher than minimum wage? Is that it?

Job skills are a commodity just like anything else that is "bought" and "sold". How many engineers, electricians, welders or I.T. technicians could you hire if all you offered was the minimum wage? You would have to compete with all of the other employer that are willing to pay much more for the value that such a skilled worker can provide their firm.

The discussion here regards those that are in the market for ANY job and not those that have skills that can generate enough value to warrant a higher wage and where they can pick and choose among employers bidding for their services.

The free market already bids up the wages of the skilled workers to where there is balance in the market. That’s why folks take CE classes to enhance their job skills and improve the marketability of what they can offer a potential employer and ultimately, command a higher wage.

But that cannot be said for those folks that do not or cannot provide sufficient productive benefits to an employer to justify the artificial minimum mandated by an unrelated (to the job) enforcement entity imposes on the private transaction between the “seller” of labor and the “buyer” of labor.

What part of that is so difficult for you to understand?
  • Bureauc... DFA 2012/06/26 05:10:51
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +2
    Minimum wage is not intended to be a living wage. It's a minimum paid for unskilled teenage burger flippers. Want /need more money, increase your worth to a business. Business does not exist to provide jobs.
  • Benji 2012/06/24 16:47:36
    Benji
    +2
    As somebody who makes minimum wage, it is not enough to make a living
  • Adakin ... Benji 2012/06/24 21:42:07 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Ben,
    How much more than what you are worth should someone be forced to pay you?

Who should decide what your labor, services, skills and/or abilities are worth?
  • Benji Adakin ... 2012/07/14 17:12:40
    Benji
    Logically those who make minimum wage must be on some sort of assistance. I can't afford an apartment with this kind of wage.
  • Elephant Lord 2012/06/24 05:33:08
    Elephant Lord
    +1
    As another Sodahead mentioned, if we kill minimum wage laws, we'll go back to the days of people working for a dollar a day, with 70 hour work-weeks. That's one of the reasons why businesses love putting jobs overseas. In countries like China, corporations can work their employees to death, and pay them almost nothing in return. The conditions in some of these Chinese factories (Such as the ones owned by Apple) are so bad that workers have committed suicide.
  • Adakin ... Elephan... 2012/06/24 05:57:41
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    My 85y/o dad says that when wages were $1 per day, a loaf of bread was a penny and a new car was less than $500. When I was just a kid, minimum wage was $1/hr and it would buy just over two gallons of gas...and that $1 minimum wage would buy a Big Mac, fries and a Coke. Today, minimum wage is $7.25 and it STILL buys just over two gallons of gas and it still costs $6-$7 for a combo meal at Mickey-Dees.

So what if we only earned a dollar a day, the prices of goods and services would be just as dynamic as the wages of the folks that would buy those products and services. The point of minimum wages is that it imposes non-economic costs in which the value cannot support. When wages and value are approximately similar, then the economy can be in balance... when distortions are imposed upon the market by forcing labor prices to exceed labor value, the imbalance percolates through out the economy causing far more problems than the perception of benefits that the inflated wages provide.

Corporations don't "love putting jobs overseas"... they simply "love" upholding their fiduciary duty to their shareholders, their employees, their customers of providing the best value at the highest price and lowest cost. It's a symbiotic relationship that becomes imbalanced when non-market mandate...

Corporations don't "love putting jobs overseas"... they simply "love" upholding their fiduciary duty to their shareholders, their employees, their customers of providing the best value at the highest price and lowest cost. It's a symbiotic relationship that becomes imbalanced when non-market mandates impose variances to the value versus price equation. When you consider the artificially imposed labor costs and the highest corporate profits taxes of anywhere in the industrialized world, it's no wonder that corporations leave to seek a lower cost environment...just as corporations leave northern unionized and high tax states to move to lower tax, non-union states within the U.S. (Boeing left Washington to build their new airliner in South Carolina...just imagine if they had chosen to build the airplane in Mexico or in Brazil)
  • sherdon2 2012/06/24 00:26:33
    sherdon2
    +2
    Leave it to the big guys and we will be back to .50 an hour and no safety laws. Why do you think they go overseas? No regulations or laws.
  • Ahrtal 2012/06/23 19:33:13
    Ahrtal
    +1
    Hit the wrong button! Minimum wage laws destroy competition and drive up consumer costs. Companies still have a bottom line to maintain or exceed in order to stay solvent. As the minimum wage increases, business costs increase if the labor force is to be maintained. If the labor force becomes too expensive, companies must develop different strategies to maintain being "in the black". This often means shifting some assets off shore, or in the cases particularly in the food industry, raising prices of the commodity, or adopting less person intensive operations to maintain competitive prices.
  • Dave 2012/06/23 18:19:41
    Dave
    +1
    YES - because if the employer was allowed to pay let's say $3.50 an hour then he could hire more workers. For every one worker now at $7.50 he could hire another worker = 2 for 1. This would eliminate unemployment because in order to sustain a family or livelihood the worker would need to work two or three or four jobs.

There's also a good chance that businesses would come back into the USA again, and US citizens would once again feel productive and proud.
  • flrdsgns Dave 2012/06/24 15:25:31
    flrdsgns
    +1
    Not to mention that I would only have to pay some illegal Mexican $2.00 to mow my lawn rather then the $10 I have to pay now
  • rustex782 2012/06/23 16:47:14
    rustex782
    i think its fair that everyone should be able to survive with the job they have. On the other hand, what happens to all those people who worked for years and earned their way up to $10/hr. now they are stuck back at min.wage again with the newbies who don't know anything? Shouldn't everybody get a pay raise?. . . . . maybe there should be a mandatory "cost of everything" decrease.

2014/11/27 16:16:40