Do Kids Have Too Much Homework?

Ask any student and they'll tell you: teachers give too much homework!

Sometimes you have to consider the source, but education experts and teachers themselves are starting to question the wisdom of loading down kids with hours of extra work each night in an age when many children are already juggling a number of after-school commitments, spending time with special tutors and looking for special extracurricular projects to fatten their resumes for college.

Polls have shown that a majority of parents and educators believe the homework burden is overwhelming and a recent New York Times story reported that some school districts are rethinking their homework policies and asking how valuable homework is to a student's education.

With nightly hours of extra work depriving children of play and rest, not to mention stressing them out, with little rise in achievement to show for it, some moms are taking the issue public. One is Vicki Abeles, a mother of three who produced the documentary "Race to Nowhere," about burned-out students who are ground down by the pressure-packed educational system.

She's a leader in the anti-homework movement, arguing that asking kids to work a "second shift" when they get home is negatively affecting their health and the quality of family time.

Some schools are replacing homework with "goal work," which is specific to a student's individual needs and can be completed at school or home at his or her own pace while others are trying to cut homework in half and ban weekend assignment in elementary school.

"Juggling Family Life" author and veteran teacher/nanny Erin Kurt recently wrote an essay about the topic, revealing that research finds that 8-10 percent of North American kids feel seriously troubled by stress.

As an example, she recalls a class meeting with 8 and 9-year-old students from six years ago in which their top complaint was too much homework. All complained except one boy, who explained that he gets home from school, takes a shower, puts on his jammies, does homework, eats dinner, plays and then goes to bed.

"I'm allowed to be a kid!" he said proudly.

Do kids have too much homework?

• Teen Gohan (Cell Games) 2011/06/18 22:06:54
    Teen Gohan (Cell Games)
    +1
    And it's BS! Seven hours of school is bad enough, but giving us even more work what the hell!
    It takes away all our free time that we have to enjoy ourselves. Instead of being able to hang out with friends and laugh and have fun, we're stuck indoors doing hw.
    And does stress students out more. That's one of the reasons many dislike school. If it doesn't work with getting better performance, than there's no point to it.

SCHOOL = Seven Crappy Hours Of Our Life
  • Dragon Angel 2011/06/18 22:05:18
    Dragon Angel
    +1
    This is my graduation year (Go class of 2011!!!!!) so I'm of a mixed opinon really
  • Dragon ... Dragon ... 2011/06/18 22:30:29
    Dragon Angel
    In High School you typically have 4-6 classes a day, with 6-8 total subjects,depending on your year, grade, school, state/country and mindset. Not to mention the at least 10 different sports available to most places and clubs to see/make friends, as well as things like Student Council, Rallies, or The Gay-Straight Alliance. With no limit to what you can join, there is also practice if you are in Choir or Band, as well as shows in those and other art forms, games for school, volunteer work, family, friends, work/jobs, and sleep. Most students are requeired to work on each subject they "offically" attend in school at least one hour a day at home. That leaves them virtually no time to do anything else but school work as most average 6-8 hours in school as it is. I can go on about this for pages with almost no round-abouts, so I will end this here...
  • youtube lover 2011/06/18 21:55:25 (edited)
    youtube lover
    +2
    i no i said im decided but thats because what i think isnt there i am just finished 1st year of high school and except for the ocasional day we got very little homeworl. when ithink about i think i got more homework in primary school!!
    I no people say yes because there school might be differnt to my school but for me no we get very little homework
  • Dragon ... youtube... 2011/06/18 22:11:53
    Dragon Angel
    I don't know where you go or what state/country but it was like that my freshman year in high school to. It typically gets worse the older you get so please don't be too surprised, especially in math and science, if those are your weak points.
  • youtube... Dragon ... 2011/06/18 22:16:01
    youtube lover
    +1
    i know it gets worse i have a friend in 3rd year (sorry dont no the american evilit.) she says the homework is hell. Thanxs though
  • pies_Guy 2011/06/18 21:52:43
    No such thing as too much homework
    pies_Guy
    All kids are bratty, whiny and have WAY too much time on their hands...they should not only have MORE homework, but made to go to school 12 months out of the year. America does not rank well academically with other developed nations. Get these insipid brats off the playstations/xboxes and wii's, get their smug, entitled asses off the cell phones and ipods and put their unused brains to work for a change! And while your at it, make these irresponsible parents liable for thier kids educational progress, put my damn tax dollars to work!
  • pies_Guy youtube... 2011/06/18 22:17:56
    pies_Guy
    Actually, I was being sarcastic...playing devil's advocate. I know I was generalizing, I also know that there are kids out there who are very good students, with very responsible parents who stress education. I am not an ogre, and yes, LOL, I was a kid once. Thank you for responding in a very mature and well spoken manner, even though my comment was made to illicit 'responses'.
    I also know however that there are many kids that ARE lazy AND who have irresponsible parenting at home in regards to education. I give you a lot of credit for not being negatively 'reactive' to my comments, Pat yourself on the back for expressing yourself so well despite disagreeing or dispproving of my comment! Grade: A (would be A+ but I had to take off for spelling...lol)
  • youtube... pies_Guy 2011/06/19 19:49:34
    youtube lover
    Thank you for responing maturely to even though you do talk down to me a bit. I just dont like when people generalize a whole genaration, espeacily my genaration, but still Im not the type to call you rude names and say bad words.Your intiled to your opinon and I respect that.
  • Dragon ... pies_Guy 2011/06/18 22:16:58
    Dragon Angel
    How long has it been since you went to school!? If you're an adult, you have no right to say what kids do and don't do in or out of school, because they're are just as many academic types in those under college level as there are in the rest of the world, so who are you to judge a generation that has probably had more to deal with than any other!!
  • pies_Guy Dragon ... 2011/06/18 22:26:38
    pies_Guy
    Conversely, who gives YOU the right to Judge anyone else's generation by stating YOUR'S has had more to deal with than any other? Every generation of teens views THIER generation as 'oh so dire'! In 20-30 years you will look back and think of these years as "the good 'ol days" . school is school, and the basics of school, homework etc. don't change...we ALL had homework, and we ALL felt it was always TOO MUCH. FYI, you think it's bad in H.S. wait til college (if you go). You should be happy you are getting just a small taste of what awaits you in college...not to mention graduate school and beyond.
  • TKramar pies_Guy 2011/06/28 18:10:42
    TKramar
    I was never given any homework in college.

Listen to the lectures, pass the test. Class over.
  • pies_Guy TKramar 2011/06/30 04:21:28
    pies_Guy
    You GOT ur BRAIN!!! LOL ur brain lol scarecrow wizard of oz
  • TKramar pies_Guy 2011/06/30 05:55:36
    TKramar
    Anyone with a brain could pass those tests. Still, there were some failures.
  • Willski 2011/06/18 21:46:21
    Willski
    +1
    far to much, excessive ammounts to the point it hinders performance in school
  • MangoLuve 2011/06/18 21:45:43
    MangoLuve
    +1
    Well, i have my little brother ALWAYS complaining about homework so i guess so. And it never seems to finish for him.
  • Independent Thinker 2011/06/18 21:40:07
    Independent Thinker
    +2
    Absolutely!

So much homework is busy work (or in some cases...new material that children do not know). Children are now sleep deprived and time bankrupt. Is it any wonder irritations occur and parents are not able to connect with their children?

Homework is not synonymous with learning, which is obvious but for some reason the schools just don't get it. The research is there; they need to act on the data.

Is it any wonder parents are upset with the school system - so ridiculous all the way around!
  • TKramar 2011/06/18 21:24:33 (edited)
    TKramar
    +1
    Are they learning anything?

Homework is practice. If they know what they are doing, then they don't need the practice. If they don't know, then they need to practice until they do.

By the way, I generally completed my assignments IN class, since nothing else was going on, most of the time.
  • just_sarah<3 2011/06/18 21:06:54
    just_sarah<3
    +1
    Im not a kid but yah!
  • ElisaGalvan 2011/06/18 21:06:01
    ElisaGalvan
    +1
    yeah it is too much homewrk but think about it... if u put time on homewrk u'l get it done.. if not then get some help... i never did my homewrk but i made it...
  • Tori Lynne 2011/06/18 21:06:00
    Tori Lynne
    +1
    I'm a high school student. This past school year, I rarely got homework. And when I did get homework, I was usually given time in class to complete the assignment or a study hall period. I only did my homework at home maybe twice this past school year.

But then again, I can't say the same for other schools.
  • Sammy 2011/06/18 20:50:51
    Sammy
    +1
    well i think it depends on the type of work and the teacher.....on average i have never had that much homework
  • Gabhain 2011/06/18 20:47:12
    Gabhain
    +3
    Go to full school days for most of the year and kill the homework. We adults preach about not bringing work home, so why make the kids?
  • kmay 2011/06/18 20:47:11 (edited)
    kmay
    +1
    Less is more!

If they are learning in school excess homework is unnecessary. They are't learning in school as they have dummed down education. My mom knew more graduating high school than most do from college today and she didn't have 4 hours a night of homework either. Give them a meaningful, and appropriate, work that reinforces.... instead of just busy work.

Homeschooled kids get meaningful work and they perform far superior to public schooled kids!
  • kmay kmay 2011/06/18 20:49:22 (edited)
    kmay
    2 hours of homework for second graders is absud! Let them play, and relax, and they will learn far more from that play time with them. Learning should be enjoyable especially at the early ages. I loved learning because I had parents, relatives and teachers that relayed that concept so you wanted to learn more and more.
  • Nick 2011/06/18 20:44:25
    No such thing as too much homework
    Nick
    I do think I get too much homework, but then again can go through all with no problem.
  • LdyLeo 2011/06/18 20:36:35
    No such thing as too much homework
    LdyLeo
    Kids are so lazy these days. Of course they are supposed to have homework every night. That's all apart of education to help them prepare for college.
  • birdie1224 2011/06/18 20:32:54
    birdie1224
    +1
    my freshman year of highschool was torcher. The first day of school I got packed with homework from all 7 classes. I didn't finish till 12 am. The whole school year I was bombarded with work, I barely had time to have fun. I'm only 15 I shouldn't be stressing out this early. We got a ridiculous amount of homework and most of the teachers didn't even collect it. Some of the homework is useful but sometimes its just a waste of time. Teachers need to know we have a life outside of school and school is long enough with lots of work why pile on so much more. Not to mention the heavy books we have to carry to do the homework.
  • Bob 2011/06/18 20:32:26
    No such thing as too much homework
    Bob
    Appearantly NOT, since the nations testing scores absolutely suck! But maybe if there was less social engineering within schools and more basic education, the outcomes would be vastly differently. Thanks to the liberal, social passing of everyone within the public schools system. Thanks educators for allowing your own to dumb down our nations kids.
  • ladypuppylove 2011/06/18 20:30:07
    No such thing as too much homework
    ladypuppylove
    because that is the only way they learn anything , hell they are out of school every other week here in chattanooga it seems like they are more out of school than in
  • rena 2011/06/18 20:10:13
    rena
    I meant to select "NO"as my answer but got distratcted. The Virginia Department of Education pushes their Standards of Learning (SOL) Testing and requires the teachers to only teach to the test. Teachers in Virginia do not get a chance to really teach to the children at every grade level and it is a joke. Because of this problem with the Virginia Department of Education we are moving to Texas where they have a much better education curriculum and more traditional.
  • Miko 2011/06/18 20:02:22
    Miko
    +1
    Yeah and it's the worst thing in early education.
  • Nicolas Van Drak 2011/06/18 19:51:43
    Nicolas Van Drak
    +1
    too much!!!
  • 13_JunkyardDog 2011/06/18 19:50:57
    No such thing as too much homework
    13_JunkyardDog
    +1
    kids arn't getting enough homework, the U.S. has fallen behind in studies and schooling
  • rena 13_Junk... 2011/06/18 20:12:16
    rena
    I remember when I was in elementary school I walways had spelling, math, reading, and history for homework and occasionally science. In High School I had alot of homework usually 3 hours a night.
  • 13_Junk... rena 2011/06/21 07:09:42
    13_JunkyardDog
    me too, i also had a job and practice but i sucked it up, did all my hw and im glad to have had to do all of it, it has really helped me in college where a good work ethic is crucial to success
  • FUS RO DAH! 2011/06/18 19:47:54
    No such thing as too much homework
    FUS RO DAH!
    children today are so lazy
  • Katie 2011/06/18 19:42:57
    Katie
    +1
    I never spent more than an hour on homework, and I was in all advanced classes. Most of them included weekly essays. I was in band, which required four hours of after school practice starting in August and ending in December. All that students should do is learn to manage their time between school, extracurriculars and friends, and things would be a
    lot easier for them. I did it, and was an A student in the top 3% of my 755 member graduating class.
  • bleh 2011/06/18 19:31:17
    bleh
    +1
    but thats not the problem, federal regulations are the problem like no child left behind etc. allow teachers to creatively teach and color will appear. allow them to teach based on regulations and the class turns black and white again
  • aazeen 2011/06/18 19:01:33
    aazeen

2014/10/31 23:09:00