Do immigrants coming to America need to learn our way of life or should we try to learn theirs?

FUBOwear 2009/07/13 17:50:48

• 123456789 2009/07/14 03:12:45
    Yes they should adapt to the American way.
    123456789
    +1
    They came to america it was their choice learn our way, when we travel to a different country they think it is insulting if we dont kno their culture the same should go for them when they come here.
  • apachehellfire65 2009/07/13 21:58:58
    apachehellfire65
    +1
    america is a melting pot everyone is suppose to melt into the amarican way. but now where turning into a nation of a thousand cultures and none of our own.
  • brianm_33 2009/07/13 21:02:27
    brianm_33
    +1
    They made the choice to come here. I would be pretty damn foolish if I thought I was going to move to another country and expect them to adapt to my American customs.
  • bookfan 2009/07/13 20:50:01
    bookfan
    +1
    No offense, but what a dumb question! Why should
    WE learn their way of life if they come HERE? I
    HATE it when I call a place of business, and I have
    to hear the SPANISH version before the ENGLISH
    version! It should be the other way around!
  • "I see debt people." 2009/07/13 20:49:55
    "I see debt people."
    +1
    If I moved to Italy I wouldn't expect everyone to start eating hamburgers, BBQ and hotdogs now would I. If they want to be Americans they need to speak English, know our customs, traditions and history.
  • bethywethy 2009/07/13 20:19:59
    bethywethy
    +1
    otherwise that would be like us going to their country and expecting them to learn our language and our way of life...if immigrants have a problem with the way we do things here they can SUCK IT!! (ps im totally not trying to offend anyone)
  • CINDY 2009/07/13 20:18:46
    CINDY
    +1
    to a point i dont think they have to change much but number one for me would be to learn English!!!
  • Change Happens 2009/07/13 20:11:46
    Change Happens
    +1
    TRADITIONALLY, coming to America meant adopting America and American ways. I'd like to see that "melting pot" continue.
  • Kim 2009/07/13 19:12:54
    Kim
    +1
    After all, I do believe this is called America, not Immigration Alley
  • Diane T 2009/07/13 18:46:11
    Diane T
    "One flag, one language, one country"
    used to be people cam here to become Americans.
    Now? One of my ancestors from Scotland Mac Rae
    did as many immigrants did on Ellis Island so he could be more American so Mac Rae became Rae.
  • M&M 2009/07/13 18:39:15 (edited)
    M&M
    If they are making this country their home then they should learn the language. Other than that, what they do or speak inside their homes shouldn't concern others as long as it doesn't harm anyone around them.

America is full of different ethnic groups and religions and we all live a different way.

Had to add that when you go into another country, they expect you to do the same...to learn their language and to observe their laws. So why should it be any different in the U.S.?
  • FUBOwear M&M 2009/07/13 18:41:28
    FUBOwear
    +1
    Rock on M&M, i agree 100%
  • M&M FUBOwear 2009/07/13 18:46:21
    M&M
    Thanks justfubo!!!
  • octupus88 2009/07/13 18:30:10
    No, we should do everything we can to make them welcome.
    octupus88
    Most immigrants come to our country to be able to improve their way of live from their culture, not adapt to American's. Most American's are very closed minded to htis, so therfore we should learn about others cultures to become more open minded and engaged.
  • FUBOwear octupus88 2009/07/13 18:38:39
    FUBOwear
    +2
    My grandparents were immigrants and they came here to have a better life and be Americans, they learned the language and the laws and lived as Americans. They were from Italy, they never called themselves Italian Americans, my grandfather would flip if someone called him that. He was an American and proud of it.

If you want to come to America and live, you'd better be prepared to be an American! We will not learn your language, change our street signs to your language or mainstream teach your language in our schools. When i was a kid we said Pledge of Allegiance no our kids cant say it because it's offensive, bullshit!

If people want to come here and try to change us to their way of thinking maybe we should send them back to where they came from for a while.
  • M&M FUBOwear 2009/07/13 18:48:09
    M&M
    I hear that! If we had more than one national language we would be screwed! Imagine how much that would cost us taxpayers having to print crap out in more than one language! Oh wait! That's already happening...D-uh!

"If people want to come here and try to change us to their way of thinking maybe we should send them back to where they came from for a while."

My question is how do those coming here expect to make any kind of living if they aren't willing to learn the dang language?!?!
  • bookfan M&M 2009/07/13 20:54:23
    bookfan
    +1
    You know what's scary? A LOT of our Senators-maybe even the prez-
    have voted AGAINST making English the official language of this
    country!
  • M&M bookfan 2009/07/14 18:27:46
    M&M
    I KNOW!!!! What the hell were they thinking?!? Oops! Gotta step back, they WEREN'T thinking! That would just cost us more in taxdollars for that crap and I think it would divide the American people even more. I'm telling you, whether it's a Senator or President, anyone who agrees with having any language other than English is jacked up!
    And just think how mad other countries would be when they teach the "universal" language (English) to their students? They wouldn't be happy either. ;-)
  • octupus88 octupus88 2009/07/13 21:52:25
    octupus88
    if you really think that justfubo, than maybe someone should of sent your immigrant grandparents back where they came from. none of us are really americans except native americans themselves, so if our ancestors who came here changed to the " American" way than we would all have Native American beliefs, which we do not. So I guess than your grandparents changed their names to Sitting Bull and Sacagawea when they came here then, eh?
  • 123456789 octupus88 2009/07/14 03:17:38
    123456789
    Okay but shouldnt they know our culture when they come so they can at least speak to us in English other countries are just as close minded as americans are. Its bad if us Americans go to a country and dont know the language or culture, but if a person from another country comes here they dont have to kno the language and it is considered rude of me when they talk to me in spanish and i just ignore them. cause i dont kno what they are saying.
  • cakiesb... octupus88 2010/11/02 23:54:23
    cakiesbakery411
    +2
    i think that they should learn our ways and still keep their culture and teach us but be able to know what America is for!
  • jrtmanmd 2009/07/13 18:25:57
    jrtmanmd
    +2
    AND speak ENGLISH!
  • 123456789 jrtmanmd 2009/07/14 03:18:37
    123456789
    +1
    i agree i hate when they call you and speak in spanish, cause i just hang up and it makes me feel like an asshole but what else can i do.
  • Sheila 2009/07/13 18:14:57
    Sheila
    +1
    A little of both ....but there was no choice for that. When in rome sure is an old saying. This question has so many parts it is hard to answer. As far as laws-ours, as far as life in their homes-theirs....same as the rest of us really.
  • Jackson 2009/07/13 18:11:50
    Jackson
    +2
    Neither America is a melting pot and always should be. We should not cater to special groups, and they should not cater to us.
  • Will 2009/07/13 18:06:32
    Will
    +1
    The same way every other country on the planet does (at least the ones with a backbone).
  • Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm 2009/07/13 17:59:08
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    If I want to learn theirs, I will go there.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2009/07/13 17:58:13
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    They should probably have investigated what they were getting themselves in for before coming here.

adapt american investigated
  • Mr. Rock "n" Roll 2009/07/13 17:56:11
    Mr. Rock "n" Roll
    +1
    But never forget where they come from.
  • frienemie 2009/07/13 17:53:29
    frienemie
    doesn't realy matter they will probly adapt to our ways after a while as long as they are around us

2014/10/02 14:54:27