Do I need to buy a gun to protect myself because other people have guns?

Mopvyto 2012/08/08 17:20:03
Do I need to buy a gun to protect myself because other people have guns

• Doc. J 2012/08/08 17:40:53
    Other opinion
    Doc. J
    +11
    THAT
    Is completely up to you and your sense of judgement.
    You may or may not feel that you need one.
    And the beauty of the whole thing is that should you decide that you DO, you have the right to get one.
    Likewise you have the right to decline such ownership.

Aint freedom grand?

• Mark In Irvine 2012/09/25 22:50:08
  • Everett Thompson 2012/09/11 04:44:30
    Everett Thompson
    I didn't put the check beside the Yes vote, but I don't believe I need to buy a gun because other people buy guns. First, I believe in the Second Amendment, where we should have the RIGHT to bear arms, and own weapons. Second, I believe I need some protection against those individuals who MISUSE the weapons they have, to commit mayhem and carnage. If I DON'T have a gun, how can I protect my family? Stand outside my house and say, "Don't shoot! I don't believe in guns, so I don't have one!" Now THAT is just silly.
  • Keeping It Real 2012/08/14 07:06:10
    Don't know
    Keeping It Real
    Interesting question!
  • Dave In Cali 2012/08/12 12:38:28
    Maybe
    Dave In Cali
    I would say that it depends more on who your neighbors are, and whether you spend a great deal of time infuriating others. For most of us, a gun isn't a daily necessity - but you can bet that if some crazy a-hole accosts you (especially with a gun), you will wish you had one too.

This question is a bit like asking a medieval person if they should have a sword....
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/08/11 05:37:17
    Pinball Wizard
  • aherbert 2012/08/09 18:03:55
    Other opinion
    aherbert
    +1
    I am a California native but my father was born and raised in the south ... a gun, fishing pole and the stuff to operate those items was a part of life. I am from the old school guns was use for hunting and yes target practice ... I have six brothers. I think as an American you have the right to own a gun RESPONSIBLY ... the thing is their are a ton of regulations for one to purchase a gun in California and I think that is a good thing. In California use a gun go to jail ... then they will work out the details. The senseless killing with guns have to stop ... I want my children, family, friends, neighbors and all Americans to fill safe going to movies or even if you are a door to door sales man to be safe ... we need to start a dialog and put into action new gun regulations.
  • Einstein's Firecracker 2012/08/09 15:50:34
    Einstein's Firecracker
    No, you'll make an easier victim that way. You could always get an aluminium baseball bat or a 10 inch knife as I have. I also have guns and some training, just make it harder for the criminals. But, to buy a gun because someone else, a friend, has one isn't necessary. Buy it because you feel you need one, or you would like to own one for your enjoyment.
  • jenkiez 2012/08/09 15:05:10
    jenkiez
    You could just stand there at become his plastic turkey. It would be safer for you, your family and your fellow citizens, for you to have a gun, be educated in how to use it properly and be a watchman for everyones safety.
  • Professor Wizard 2012/08/09 14:57:08
    Professor Wizard
    You should buy a gun to protect yourself, because:

There are others who wish you harm
    There are others who wish to Rape YOU, and your family.
    There are others who wish to confiscate your possessions.
    There are others who wish to torture you.
    There are others who wish to enslave you.
    There are others who are fanatical of belief, and wish to forcefully indoctrinate you.
    There are others who are broken in mind, and do not listen to reason.

and.. some of them have guns themselves.
  • aneed2know 2012/08/09 06:12:43
    aneed2know
    +1
    How about you dont go near the nut cases.
  • JayLynx 2012/08/09 04:54:37
    JayLynx
    In my opinion, no, but it is your choice!
  • Jacob Torres 2012/08/09 04:28:25
    Jacob Torres
    Regardless of the laws, criminals have guns. You should own and know how to use one as well.
  • Hopscotch 2012/08/09 02:02:42
    Hopscotch
    BEWARE: They may think you are the "Nut Job" with the gun and you shoot first.

"Would you blame them"? ................Then everybody could shoot everybody Bang, Bang.

Bang! beware nut job gun shoot blame shoot bang bang bang
  • Profess... Hopscotch 2012/08/09 15:00:29
    Professor Wizard
    Sadly - - that is always a possibility...

I have read about some pretty stupid crap done by untrained, or uncouth police.
  • Hopscotch Profess... 2012/08/09 18:43:52 (edited)
    Hopscotch
    And they received a Darwin Award.............posthumously? received darwin award posthumously
  • dayowayne 2012/08/09 01:13:25
    dayowayne
    Maybe could have been a better answer
  • Chaoskingsxz 2012/08/09 00:24:13
    Chaoskingsxz
    +1
    you will need a vest
  • Profess... Chaoski... 2012/08/09 15:01:32
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    Politicians just go around with 2 or 3 armed security personnel.
  • Chucky69 2012/08/09 00:07:43
    Chucky69
    Wouldn't be a bad idea, plus - it'd be a lot safer/easier, etc then taking a knife to a gun fight! ;)
  • Michael 2012/08/08 23:24:09
    Other opinion
    Michael
    It wouldn't help. As demonstrated in the Colorado shooting, these guys are prepared for resistance now and you'd just wind up shooting wildly.
  • Profess... Michael 2012/08/09 14:59:04
    Professor Wizard
    Really... and just where did you get your information on that shooting wildly.

Perhaps a link to a story where some CCW Holders shot "Wildly" about.

The only thing you will find on wild shootout will involve Police...

Go figure!
  • Eddie 2012/08/08 22:27:57
    Don't know
    Eddie
    +1
    I have nothing against owning a gun. I live in tghe south and we hunt quite a bit so I have a couple of guns. None intended for man kllling mind you. But it seems to me that most of the situations I've ever heard of happend so quick or in situations where it was all over before anyone could get to their own gun anyway.
  • luvguins 2012/08/08 22:21:11
    No don't go to the dark side
    luvguins
    +2
    Exactly what the shill for the firearms industry would love is everyone with an arsenal of handguns and assault rifles. That shill would be the NRA, probably the most powerful bribing lobby in D.C. next to the Pentagon Lobby. This was not the vision of the Founding Fathers "well regulated militia" by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Steve luvguins 2012/08/08 22:31:27
  • Lester 2012/08/08 22:19:07
    Lester
    +1
    Here is a rank ordered list of how handguns are used in the US:

1. Recreation and training
    2. Suicide
    3. To commit crimes
    4. Self defense
    5. By law enforcement personnel

Given 2nd Amendment protections, there is no reason to believe the ordering will change in the future.
  • Profess... Lester 2012/08/09 15:04:36
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    I dissagree with that ranking.. and not every gun "used" is fired!

1 Recreation and Training
    2 Crime
    3 Law Enforcement
    4 Suicide
    5 Self Defense
  • Lester Profess... 2012/08/09 16:51:29
    Lester
    I take your point, but it is very hard to find any reliable information on guns that are brandished but not fired. That runs the risk of just assuming preconceived notions are correct. For fired weapons, I think there are statistics showing my ordering is correct.
  • Jericho 2012/08/08 21:46:25
    Maybe
    Jericho
    I would say it is not mandatory, but it is a good idea as long as you learn how to use it. People don't understand that it is a fact that criminals are less likely to do criminal acts when they know they may be outnumbered and the risk does not equal the reward. You may never have to use said weapon, but just owning one deters criminals.
  • Everett... Jericho 2012/08/09 03:42:05
    Everett Thompson
    +1
    But, how would the criminals KNOW you have a gun, and WOULD use it? Most crooks assume that most Americans are wimps, and would just fold in a situation where ONE firearm, used by a trained citizen, would make the difference. I'm former Army, and know how to use a firearm. But I don't wear a sign around my neck, saying I've been trained in the use of firearms, and carry a concealed weapon! I'm sure that when a robber, who enters a store with a gun, and demands money, has a final thought that he never thought the store owner/clerk had a gun and would use it. Hmmh; come to think of it, maybe a sign on the window of the store saying that the clerks were armed, and willing to use their guns, might just prevent thieves. Would it?
  • Jericho Everett... 2012/08/10 00:14:31
    Jericho
    Too true. First, Thank you for your service! I was going to go in as an O3, but got refused on my physical. I appreciate all our American Heroes. I agree. letting them know you are armed and will not just give in to demands is a deterrent--especially to novices or the young who are bored looking for something to do; however, if the criminal gets the jump on you, he will demand your weapon as an unsuspecting clerk/store owner. That is why if you just make it known in state law that at any given time anyone could be concealed carry and can repel an attack, it forces them to think about it all the time. Crazies with a death wish will always be out there, but criminals who value their hide over the cash register contents or the bank vault will stop because it is not worth the risk because there are too many variables to consider.
  • Logic 2012/08/08 21:43:57
    Logic
    +1
    Living in fear is a choice. Choosing not to live in fear frees one up for many more life affirming opportunities. One thing is true. The oppressed has a way of becoming the oppressor without anyone taking notice. In the name of fear and self-defense, we are all victimized in the name of freedom by a gun culture which is entrenched and can not conceive of change.
  • wtf12345 2012/08/08 21:00:42
    Other opinion
    wtf12345
    2nd Amendment people. This was created by the founding fathers to help the people protect themselves from a tyrannical government or from those that do things illegally. If gun control were ever enacted, the only ones to have guns would be the criminals.
  • Mike Miller 2012/08/08 20:26:10
    Mike Miller
    +5
    Fighting fire with fire only burns down everything. I know many will disagree with me but I wonder if a bunch of people at that theater did have guns, and in the dark like that how many more would have been killed in the cross fire?
  • Cat 1017 Mike Mi... 2012/08/08 20:50:18
    Cat 1017
    +1
    A great many more would have been slaughtered...needlessly...
  • Profess... Mike Mi... 2012/08/09 15:11:00
    Professor Wizard
    None...

Such recently happend in a church - - CCW holder took the gunman out wtih 2 shots. There was no shootout.

The only time there is a shoot out - is when multiple police get involved.
  • Mike Mi... Profess... 2012/08/15 13:58:52
    Mike Miller
    The Church incident was not dark and there was no smoke like in the theatre. As ex-military I can tell you in a situation where it is dark and smoky like that unless you are a highly specialized trained gun owner you will rarely hit what you are looking to shoot.
  • Different 2012/08/08 20:26:01
    No don't go to the dark side
    Different
    +1
    No you don't. Just stay away from the people who could be dangerous to you.
  • Cat 1017 Different 2012/08/08 20:52:02
    Cat 1017
    +1
    How do you manage that...People in a place of worship should not have to fear...People going to a movie should NOT have to consider a lunatic....How do you JUST stay away from gun toting FOOLS?...
  • Different Cat 1017 2012/08/09 00:00:18
    Different
    I do it. I stay away from places and peole that I dont feel comfortable in or with.
  • Kuruptsoul 2012/08/08 20:15:25
    Maybe
    Kuruptsoul
    Depends on how many enemies you have..

2014/09/22 14:14:10