Do gun buybacks make you feel any safer?

L.A. Times 2013/01/22 15:00:00
As cars snaked through a series of orange cones in a Compton parking lot, five shopping carts slowly filled with rifles and assault weapons. Nearby, plastic produce crates overflowed with handguns, spare gun parts and ammunition magazines.

The weapons and accessories came from a gun buyback program held Monday by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the agency's first such effort since 2009. Deputies sweated under unseasonably warm temperatures as they lifted weapons out of car trunks and truck beds and chalked the weapons' value on each windshield. Volunteers emptied magazines and threaded zip ties through barrels.

gun buybacks

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gun-buybac...

• Mark P. 2013/01/22 23:54:32
    Mark P.
    +17
    Only the stupid people will sell their guns to the government. The criminals will keep theirs.

• Danny Omega 2013/02/08 15:33:19
    Danny Omega
    I'd feel safer keeping my 2nd amendment rights!,
  • Martyr4Christ 2013/02/03 21:16:46
    Martyr4Christ
    Because the guns never made me feel unsafe to begin with.

gun
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2013/01/24 23:21:07
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    No, for a couple reasons. First off I'd be willing to guess that a lot of those weapons were probably non operational anyway and secondly, I'd also be willing to guess that the folks that were turning in their weapons were all honest citizens. I'd guess that there were no gang bangers out there turning in "their" weapons. So no, I don't feel any safer in the least.
  • johnnyg 2013/01/24 21:46:05 (edited)
    johnnyg
    +1
    gun buybacks make me feel like crooks are getting some cheap guns.
  • zbacku 2013/01/24 21:43:51
    zbacku
    +1
    I would bet that most of those guns are from people that have gotten them by ill-gotten means.
  • SW 2013/01/24 20:49:35
    SW
    Less guns = safer. Not a ton safer, but the math still works out positive.
  • johnnyg SW 2013/01/24 21:47:32
    johnnyg
    +2
    Bass Ackwards. MORE guns LESS crime.
  • SW johnnyg 2013/01/25 15:03:39
    SW
    Really? Who has more guns US or Great Britian. Who has more murders? They've got about 1/5th ours.

Sorry it's just math. More guns = more chance of someone getting shot. Why do you think gun owners are 12 times more likely to die of gunshot wounds than non-gun owners?

Why do you think prison guards don't bring guns into the general population areas? Is it because they're stupid and don't know what they're doing?
  • johnnyg SW 2013/01/29 17:09:59
    johnnyg
    I have never been to Great Britain, so I couldn't care less about them. I have guns. I never shot anyone. My relatives own guns they never shot anyone.
  • bman~AV... SW 2013/01/24 23:25:15
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    In theory that works out fantastic but a lot of the gun related crimes are caused by the bad guys and I'd bet big money on it that there were none of them out there turning in "their" weapons. So "their" weapons are still out on the street while the honest citizen has just turned in their weapons. Just saying.
  • SW bman~AV... 2013/01/25 14:57:29 (edited)
    SW
    Not true... "bad guys" come in all flavors.... how many mass shootings were done by mild mannered "responsible gun owners" who everyone said "would never hurt anybody."

A lot of times "bad guys" need quick cash --I would bet more so than "good guys."

Just saying.

But I would ask what's wrong with buy backs? I mean if people want to volountarily turn in their guns for cash so what? I've never had to use a gun in my life --neither has ANYONE I know outside military service, but I could use some cash.
  • bman~AV... SW 2013/01/25 15:31:14
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    Hey there SW, I don't have the stats at hand but I'm sure the amount of shootings by the drug dealers and gangs were a lot higher than shootings by responsible, law abiding citizens. Yeah, I'm sure that a lot of those bad guys "do" need quick cash but I also think that they're not selling their own weapons but weapons that were stolen from other folks. Not to mention that a lot of the weapons that they "are" selling are probably not much good for anything anymore.
    Now as far as the actual buy back program? I agree it's a good program. At least theoretically anyway. It looks great on paper. Sure, it's possible it's getting fully functioning firearms off the street but I've talked to folks in the past that have turned in weapons and they told me that the weapons weren't good for much more than scrap anyway and I've been seeing that some of the prices for those weapons are pretty good so there's good money going for mostly scrap. I don't know. There's good and bad points to this whole thing.
  • johnnyg bman~AV... 2013/01/29 17:11:00
    johnnyg
    +1
    The crooks turn in broken weapons, or duplicates of ones they have already.
  • bman~AV... johnnyg 2013/01/30 07:52:47
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +1
    That's what I believe too.
  • kurtis morin 2013/01/24 20:25:50
    kurtis morin
    +1
    No people that plane on using them won't sell them
  • Patric 2013/01/24 20:16:36
    Patric
    +2
    much LESS safe,,
    if anything , it means honest , law abiding citizens are less armed,,

the criminals do not show up and hand over their guns.. duh
  • bman~AV... Patric 2013/01/24 23:26:18
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    BINGO! My thoughts exactly.
  • Jim 2013/01/24 19:53:58
    Jim
    +1
    I've got some junkers I've been saving to sell at the next gun buyback program! I'm saving up for a Finnish Mosin Nagant battle rifle and case of ammo!
  • Buffalobill91 2013/01/24 19:42:29 (edited)
    Buffalobill91
    +3
    IF any criminal turns in a gun its because its nonworking junk or it has bodies on it.

Criminals dont just "turn in" guns...Get real----- buybacks do little to nothing...they are just another flawed government program like everything else.
  • Jimm 2013/01/24 19:36:36
    Jimm
    +2
    Not at all...because all programs like that do is take guns out of the hands of legal owners. Gang bangers and other criminals aren't about to turn theirs in...unless they're
    broken or beyond repair...then they'll cash them in and use the money to buy ones that work!
  • Professor Wizard 2013/01/24 19:22:56
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    Unless you think those old broken guns might kill the person holding them, if they were ever fired - - then yes!
  • LeroyRogers 2013/01/24 18:53:00 (edited)
    LeroyRogers
    +2
    like the gang members and the crackheads are going to turn in their guns. braindead liberals...

I think "confiscation of all registered Democrats" is a great way to stop mass shootings

NOW THIS IS INTERESTING. NOT ONE OF THE SHOOTERS WAS AN NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION MEMBER, BUT ALL WERE REGISTERED DEMOCRATS.
    It appears to me we should join the current hysteria and suggest the evidence shows that all registered Democrats should be confiscated. We know who they are- ~ they're registered!
    Why is it that none of the disturbed and evil men, who steal guns, then go and kill movie-goers and children in school, has ever been identified as a conservative NRA member?

Ft Hood~~~ Registered Democrat ~ Muslim

Columbine ~~~ Too young to vote; both families were registered
    Democrats and progressive liberals

Virginia Tech ~~~ Registerd Democrat ~Wrote hate mail to President Bush and to his staff.

Colorado Theater ~~~ Registered Democrat; staff worker on the Obama campaign; Occupy Wall Street participant; progressive liberal

Connecticut School Shooter- ~~~ Registered Democrat; hated Christians,

Common thread is that all of these shooters were progressive liberal Democrats."
    INTERESTING, isn't it

You can bet your ass, if just one of these shooters had been a registered NRA member, the liberal media would have run with it.
  • bman~AV... LeroyRo... 2013/01/24 23:38:32
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    Wow! Leroy you made a great comment here! I wish I could rave you more than once here. double thumbs up
  • SW bman~AV... 2013/01/25 15:46:57
    SW
    Except none of what he said is true. (see above response)
  • SW LeroyRo... 2013/01/25 15:46:31 (edited)
    SW
    WRONG on all counts. I love guns and all --and really wish gun nuts had something besides faulty logic and misinformation. The more they argue the more I am convinced they're wrong.

Gang members and crack heads need quick cash for crack. They'd be more likely to turn in their guns more so than a regular non-crackhead with a good job.

Mass Emails from RWNJS are a BAD SOURCE OF INFORMATION. Repeat that to yourself a billion times if you have to.

Nidal Hasan (the Ft. Hood shooter) Registered Democrat? FALSE. Not registered anything.

Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho Registered Democrat? FALSE. Virginia doesn't even have partisan registration and there's no evidence of his party affiliation.

The claim that James Holmes was a registered Democrat is FALSE. (It was claimed then retracted by ABC NEWS and RW Blog InfoWars).

Adama Lanza Sandy hook shooter NOT A DEMOCRAT. He wasnt registered, but came from a Republican leaning town that voted largely for Mitt Romney and his mom was a home schooler and doomsday prepper. Hardly "liberal" things to do.

The Columbine Shooters? What little ideology the boys demonstrated owed mostly to an admiration for Timothy McVeigh (Registered Republican). Harris’ father was a retired Air Force pilot and Eric Harris wanted to join the Marine Corps...

The Columbine Shooters? What little ideology the boys demonstrated owed mostly to an admiration for Timothy McVeigh (Registered Republican). Harris’ father was a retired Air Force pilot and Eric Harris wanted to join the Marine Corps. The boys lived in Littleton, Colorado a relatively conservative and affluent suburb of Denver. The claim that their parents were Democrats is UNSUBSTANTIATED. Any suggestion that the two boys were Democrats or had progressive political leanings is demonstrably FALSE.

There ARE however plenty of murdering sickos on the Right side of the aisle:

Timothy McVeigh REGISTERED REPUBLICAN Killed killed 168 people and injured over 800 including infants and toddlers in a daycare.

Ted Bundy Republican worked on Gov. Dan Evan's reelection campaign in Washington....

Gary Ridgway (Green River Killer) Registered Republican

ames Oliver Huberty, who told his wife he hated “children, Mexicans and the United States” opened fire inside the McDonald’s Restaurant in San Ysidro, CA using a Browning P-35 Hi-Power 9mm pistol, Winchester 1200 pump-action 12-gauge shotgun, and an Israeli Military Industries 9mm Carbine (Uzi) – all legally acquired. He killed 21 and injured 19 before he was shot dead by police.

White supremacist Buford O. Furrow, Jr., fired 70 rounds with an Uzi-type submachine-gun inside the lobby of the Jewish Community Center in Granada Hills, CA wounding three children, a teenage counselor and an office worker. He then carjacked a woman’s Toyota at gunpoint, dumped it behind a motel and murdered US Postal Worker Joseph Santos with a Glock 9mm handgun.

Former U.S. Army private, Jim David Atkinsson, who hated Democrats, liberals, African Americans and homosexuals, using a Remington Model 48 12-guage shotgun, murdered two people and injured seven others inside the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, TN.

Donnie Baker, a former Republican campaign volunteer shot seven Chilean immigrants in Florida. Those who knew him said he was obsessed with the fear that illegal immigrants were taking over the country.

Richard Popalowski, a white supremacist in Pittsburgh, shot and killed three police officers following a domestic disturbance call. He apparently thought that Obama was part of a government conspiracy to seize all guns, and he feared the government would take his guns away.

Later the same month, a Fort Walton Beach Florida man who thought the Obama administration was conspiring against him, shot and murdered two sheriff’s deputies.

George Tiller was murdered in his own church by a right-wing “pro- life” gun man who decided to express his belief in the sanctity of human life by executing a medical doctor.

right-wing white supremacist and Holocaust denier walked into the National Holocaust Museum and killed an African-American security guard. Two weeks later, three Neo-Nazis were arrested for bombing a diversity office in Scottsdale, Arizona.

2010 a member of the Sovereign Citizen movement was arrested after a failed attempt to take over a Tennessee county courthouse.

Exactly one month later, in West Memphis Arkansas, Sovereign citizens Jerry and Joe Kane murdered two police officers before they themselves were shot and killed in the ensuing shoot out with police.

On July 18, 2010 Byron Williams, an angry unemployed man, was arrested by police after they discovered a car full of weapons and ammunition that he had planned to use to kill progressives. He was on his way to the non-profit Tides Foundation Center, a favorite target of vitriol from Glenn Beck’s radio show.

On Jan. 8, 2011 22-year old Jarold Lee Laughner killed six people, including a judge and a nine-year old child, and wounded 13 others, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ), using a 9mm Glock 19 pistol during a public meeting in a supermarket parking lot near Tuscon, AZ.

On Aug. 5, 2012 Wade Michael Page, a 40-year old white supremacist and U.S. Army veteran murdered six people and wounded four others inside a Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, WI with a Springfield XD(M) semi-automatic pistol.

RWNJs are sick bastards.

And their mass emails about "evil Democrats" are pure BS.
  • frank 2013/01/24 18:46:23
    frank
    +2
    I never fear what the honest man does. Killing the criminals make me feel safer
  • Jim 2013/01/24 18:06:16
    Jim
    +1
    It's just more taxpayer money thrown down a government rat hole.
  • mountainman 2013/01/24 18:03:36
    mountainman
    +1
    LOL! Yup, look at all those assault old shotguns. I see nothing that is worth anymore than probably $50 there. I think the Sheriffs department got took here. OOPS! Nope, it was the taxpayers!!! LOL California is a funny place....
  • Profess... mountai... 2013/01/24 19:25:38
    Professor Wizard
    +2
    I am sure there were a few old widows that didn't know what they had - - turned in their dead husbands WWII 1911's worth $10K.. and you can BET those went into the trunk of the cop car instead of the trashcan.
  • mountai... Profess... 2013/01/25 03:49:29
    mountainman
    I didn't think of that...Good call!
  • kimmie 2013/01/24 17:18:08 (edited)
    kimmie
    +1
    As a liberal conservative i find this gun buy back program useless
  • Dickens 2013/01/24 16:59:16
    Dickens
    +1
    of course not...buying back 800 guns out of the 200 million out there means nothing..
  • TombstoneJim 2013/01/24 16:57:11
    TombstoneJim
    +1
    First of all - those guns shown are all shotguns....or rusty barreled pieces of junk.....and what makes me feel safer - my Glock on my hip.
  • Siefimn 2013/01/24 16:35:57
    Siefimn
    +1
    The more people are allowed to carry concealed weapons, the safer I feel.
  • william keegan 2013/01/24 16:32:53
    william keegan
    +1
    What will make me feel safer would be laws throughout all of the states that allow for and encourage the “concealed carry” of firearms by all of the people.
  • boocab55 2013/01/24 16:05:08
    boocab55
    +1
    There no in hell I am not stupid.
  • Carlo 2013/01/24 14:56:59 (edited)
    Carlo
    +1
    No it pisses me off I couldnt have gotten them first on Craigslist. You can bet when they finally pass laws outlawing them they will do the same thing with an amnesty period, then point out the felony it will be to possess them. If you purchased a weapon on record and it wasn't turned in they may come to your house and surround it to take you in or burn it down to make you come out or die.
  • Dan 2013/01/24 14:22:40
    Dan
    No, but gun buybacks are not about my safety, they are about the safety of households that no longer have unwanted dangerous weapons. I feel that those homes are now safer.
  • Grant Mad Dan 2013/01/24 14:54:54
    Grant Mad
    +1
    Hay Dan when someone threatens you in your home what you gonna do ?
  • rich 2013/01/24 14:18:38 (edited)
    rich
    +3
    In theory, as some criminals want a different way and use it as an opportunity to turn a new page in their lives -- have talked to some who did exactly that. But the turn around on those who don't, beefed up by the media that makes killing a sport, only makes that warm fuzzy feeling last about 3 hours for that gun intake. So the question is I guess, do you stop it, and lose the 5 who might use it as an opportunity to change? I say no. There are collateral benefits to this.

2014/10/24 09:50:35