Do Atheists Hate Religion?

ϟM̈ öp̈ëdërϟ 2012/08/08 16:02:58
Related Topics: Religion, Atheists, God, Atheist
I'm asking about religion, not God. So stick to the subject of the question, if you don't mind. Oh and thank you very much.

• Drebi 2012/08/08 16:06:05
    Drebi
    +10
    Most of us (atheists) actually study religion and many are religious themselves. (Not all theists are religious and not all atheists are non-religious.)

• CAPISCE unaff 2012/08/10 03:12:46
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Afraid there may be a God--nobody including you can be certain until death
  • boltfox20 2012/08/08 18:34:40
    boltfox20
    Most of us don't, anyway. What we hate is what people do based on their religion.
  • CAPISCE boltfox20 2012/08/08 22:30:37
    CAPISCE
    Well I'm wirth you there--not all but some people take religion to radical lengths
  • bricklyn CAPISCE 2012/08/10 02:53:07
    bricklyn
    That is 'your' interpretation of it.
  • ghostrider 2012/08/08 18:32:06
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    ghostrider
    +4
    I don't believe they do, although perhaps some might ... what 'we' "hate" is the continual effort by 'religion' to infuse its principles into secular lives, whether it's wanted or not.
  • Heat Her 2012/08/08 18:31:11
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Heat Her
    +5
    I think religious people hate religion the most. Well, at least other peoples
  • unaff Heat Her 2012/08/08 20:32:09
    unaff
    +1
    Kaboom! Excellent point!
  • CAPISCE unaff 2012/08/08 22:32:40
    CAPISCE
    It is a good point but keep in mind humans are tribal by nature---we will group up in all sorts of ways and fight others who are different in any way. It will always be that way--it's human nature
  • reaper 2012/08/08 18:28:03
    reaper
    +3
    it's more on the people that use it as an excuse to be a jerk, then act like a victim when called out on it.
  • Mandy 2012/08/08 18:23:33
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Mandy
    "Hate" is a strong word, but I think it's unnecessary and has caused, and has the potential to cause more, harm in the world.
  • dandieselonian 2012/08/08 18:21:18
    dandieselonian
    Religion is what they like its makes them feel great to tear apart all fart bag preachers .
  • Angel 2012/08/08 18:19:07
    Angel
    Why would they?
  • Razoreye001 2012/08/08 18:11:21
    Razoreye001
    +3
    It's sorta complicated, I should say I hate religion like some people hate alcoholism and mostly for the same reasons.
  • life's big ? 2012/08/08 18:04:16
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    life's big ?
    +6
    I think religion hates us. At the very mention that I am atheist people become aghast. On the other hand I don't believe in staying quiet about religion and I do think it is dumbing down our society as a whole. I don't Like religion but hate is a strong word.
  • life's ... life's ... 2012/08/08 20:37:52
  • W T 2012/08/08 18:02:02
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    W T
    +1
    Depends on who you ask that question.
  • Bastion 2012/08/08 18:01:48
    Bastion
    +3
    I don't "hate" religions. Some are pretty cool, and some have a few good ideas.

I hate what is done in the NAME of religions, and I admit I do hate some of the extremist FOLLOWERS of religions.
  • mjkowal 2012/08/08 17:58:13
    mjkowal
    +3
    I am not an atheist, but have an extreme dislike for religions. It is my opinion that most people throughout history have used their religion to promote hate, discriminate, cause wars, murder others, etc. I realize that there are many churches out there that help the homeless, charities, etc - so on a local level I have seen religions provide help to those less fortunate, but on a global level I find that most religions just cause destruction.
  • MentalOrgasm 2012/08/08 17:52:24
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    MentalOrgasm
    +4
    Atheism is not a religion, and they do not subscribe to any set beliefs. Atheism is the rejection of a belief in god. So atheists do not HATE god, because how can you hate something you don't believe in?

As far as religion, some hate religion, some don't. Some hate particular religions. Some feel the world would be a better place without religion. I'm inclined to agree. I'm agnostic and I despise Abrahamic religion (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity (and any of their subgroups), but I don't hate religion as a whole. For example, Buddhism is quite beautiful.
  • bricklyn MentalO... 2012/08/08 20:11:36
    bricklyn
    Atheism is NOT a rejection of beliefs it is a non-belief. Meaning that gods have no importance or significance at all in their life.
  • Aly Hart MentalO... 2012/08/09 02:31:59
  • 16 2012/08/08 17:50:01
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    16
    +1
    I think it would be very wise to simply make this question for atheist, since an atheist knows who they think. I don't hate religion, I just hate ignorance and people who push their religion on others.
  • boneman1 2012/08/08 17:49:35
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    boneman1
    I'm sure people that claim to be atheists all have their own reasons for their beliefs. Most I've met fit into one of two categories. Either they don't believe because it can't proven by current science and they're uncomfortable living on faith or because the moral code that goes along with most religions would mean they'd have to live a more moral lifestyle than they're comfortable with.
  • unaff boneman1 2012/08/08 20:37:07
    unaff
    +1
    Ok, so I stated above that I don't hate religion or religious people, but I do hate when people think that morality springs from their own religious dogma.
  • bricklyn boneman1 2012/08/08 21:29:23
    bricklyn
    Atheism is NOT a belief. It is a complete LACK of belief.

For the most part most Atheists live a much more moral life that the majority of religious people do. The divorce rate is higher in the born again christian group, the abortion rate is higher is christians than any other group and the prisons are full of christians as well and Atheist as hugely under represented by percentages.

They are not uncomfortable living on faith, they simply refuse to accept superstitions, fantasies and mythology as a basis for living in the real world.

Ancient uneducated and superstitious herdsmens from the Bronze Age simply did not have the knowledge of well educated scientitst today.
  • boneman1 bricklyn 2012/08/09 14:18:04
    boneman1
    What I stated was my experience with atheists. My guess is that's the same place you got most of yours. I'd be willing to bet that your accusations are way off if you were looking at born again Christians and not people that say they're Christian, but don't really live a Christian life.

By the way, the divorce rate for evangelical Christians is 26%. The divorce rate for agnostics and atheists is 33%.

http://www.opposingviews.com/...
  • bricklyn boneman1 2012/08/10 03:22:20
    bricklyn
    That is not what my stats say:

The Barna Research Group, an evangelical Christian organization that does surveys and research to better understand what Christians believe and how they behave, studied divorce rates in America in 1999 and found surprising evidence that divorce is far lower among atheists than among conservative Christians - exactly the opposite of what they were probably expecting.

11% of all American adults are divorced
    25% of all American adults have had at least one divorce

27% of born-again Christians have had at least one divorce
    24% of all non-born-again Christians have been divorced

21% of atheists have been divorced
    21% of Catholics and Lutherans have been divorced
    24% of Mormons have been divorced
    25% of mainstream Protestants have been divorced
    29% of Baptists have been divorced
    24% of nondenominational, independent Protestants have been divorced

27% of people in the South and Midwest have been divorced
    26% of people in the West have been divorced
    19% of people in the Northwest and Northeast have been divorced

http://atheism.about.com/od/a...
  • boneman1 bricklyn 2012/08/10 15:27:21
    boneman1
    Your numbers are outdated. Here's a link to the Barna survey done in 2008:

http://www.barna.org/barna-up...
  • bricklyn boneman1 2012/08/11 01:48:56
    bricklyn
    Your stats are from 2008 and are lumping Atheists and Agnostics into one category as well. The numbers have also changed from the ones you posted previously.
  • KeithL 2012/08/08 17:43:27 (edited)
  • Panloker 2012/08/08 17:34:54
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Panloker
    From what I have observed, there are two types of atheists, there are tolerant ones and non tolerant ones. The tolerant ones believe that everyone has the right to practice what ever religion they believe in, They do not impede on others faith, they can just live and let live. They do not bring it up and are not hell bent on tearing anyone down who believes. They are glad to answer questions but do not push their beliefs..or shall I say non beliefs on others. These kind of Atheists I like to refer to as "the grown ups"

Now the non tolerant ones yes indeed they hate religion, They sum up all Christians into one category and believe all Christians to be intolerant and full of hate, Although they have a distaste for all or most religions, Christianity seems to get the worst of it, they mock it and "that imaginary man in the sky" as they like to call him. They aim to offend those who believe just out of pure spite and nothing more, I don't know if they had a bad experience with Christianity in their life, but the hate towards it that I see is very overwhelming.
  • AdLib 2012/08/08 17:33:19
    AdLib
    +4
    As an atheist, I don't hate religion. In fact, in the past I have participated in both western and eastern religions. I find the study of different spiritual beliefs interesting.

What I object to is religious people trying to legislate their dogma. I see that as a direct assault on my freedom not to believe.

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do."
  • mich52 2012/08/08 17:32:02
  • unaff mich52 2012/08/08 20:39:28
    unaff
    Ok, so I hate that one as well!
  • Atlas 2012/08/08 17:29:20
    Atlas
    +3
    To hate something requires acknowledgement. And energy. Most Atheists do not utilize much of their time in obessing over hatred in something they don't consider in their daily life.
  • politicalsoldier 2012/08/08 17:26:17
    politicalsoldier
    +2
    Yes, by their own actions I think it's quite obvious that they hate religion. Of course that's not a blanket statement for all atheists, but I think it is the majority. At least it is the vast majority of atheist that I've had personal experience with.

One reason for this is that most atheist tend to lean to the far-left of the political spectrum and therefore inherently gravitate toward a more authoritarian and collectivist mindset. They want to force their beliefs on others and take away the individual rights of religious peoples to openly believe and express themselves based on their religions.
  • unaff politic... 2012/08/08 20:41:22
    unaff
    "take away the individual rights of religious peoples to openly believe and express themselves based on their religions."

Can you please cite some examples of this that don't have to do with government-run entities?
  • politic... unaff 2012/08/08 20:59:44 (edited)
    politicalsoldier
    The attack on Dan Cathy and the company Chick-fil-A by left-wing individuals and left-wing, privatly-owned, special-interest groups for expressing his simple, personal, Christian view-point in an interview with a Christian magazine. I guaranty you the vast majority of those protesters were militant-atheist regardless of whether they happened to be hetero or homosexual.

Of course then there was the illegal and unconstitutional attacks on him by left-wing government officials.
  • unaff politic... 2012/08/08 21:08:30
    unaff
    What rights were taken away?

(I'd argue about the 'personal' viewpoint, but I'd rather have the above answered)
  • politic... unaff 2012/08/08 21:17:45
    politicalsoldier
    I believe my original post states, "They WANT to force their beliefs on others and take away the individual rights of religious peoples." I did not state that they have successfully taken those rights thus far. Please read what is written and not twist it into what you want it to say.

2014/07/24 06:31:52