Do Atheists Hate Religion?

Mopvyto 2012/08/08 16:02:58
Related Topics: Religion, Atheists, God, Atheist
I'm asking about religion, not God. So stick to the subject of the question, if you don't mind. Oh and thank you very much.

• Drebi 2012/08/08 16:06:05
    Drebi
    +10
    Most of us (atheists) actually study religion and many are religious themselves. (Not all theists are religious and not all atheists are non-religious.)

• 001 2013/03/09 20:49:07
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    001
    I don't, I think it can really help some people. I'm just not very fond of pushy religious people who believe they should 'save' me.
  • DC 2012/10/31 04:52:36
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    DC
    As an agnostic I had never cared. I just tried to pay as little attention to religion as possible, but recently it's been harder to avoid it. Now I'm starting to hate it because so many people are forcing it on others. I hate how political decisions that affect millions are made based off one mans religion. The thing that I hate the most about religion is how there are people out there preventing kids from learning sciences. I've watched these videos of people literally teaching kids (that aren't only their own kids) these scientists are just throwing out random guesses of how the world works. They teach these kids not to question why, but to just accept "god did it" and if it disagrees with the Bible it's wrong. I don't care about most quit religious people but I hate religion because there are people who tell others to live based on their own religion and fight science with no background on the subject their fighting other then it's not what their religion tells them to think.
  • just some random guy 2012/10/11 09:34:20
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/09/07 13:29:11
    ✞Knight of Honor
    Why else would they be so obsessed with destroying it?

They've killed hundreds of millions of people over it.

Reign of Terror (50,000 deaths)
    Red Terror (72,344 deaths)
    The Great Purge (20,000,000 deaths)
    Chinese Government Murders (90,000,000 deaths)
    Cambodian Genocide (745,000 deaths)
    Burmese Genocide (500,000 deaths)
  • elijahin24 2012/08/14 12:18:15
    elijahin24
    +1
    Not all of us anyway. We don't trust religion.Those who push religion, tend to want something. Often their real desires are ot odds with the philosophy of the teacher they claim to follow.
    We also don't trust religion because historically, it has been the sworn enemy of knowledge. Even today, we know that everything has evolved from a simpler form; but religious groups across the country demand that we teach their disproven dogma, as if it is the logical equal of the scientificly supported truth.
    There are many good people who are religious, and I admire them. But religion itself has been a plague upon humanity.
  • Dave In Cali 2012/08/12 12:42:55
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Dave In Cali
    I didn't answer to the affirmative, because I'm not the spokesperson for all atheists.

I DO hate religion - it blinds people to knowledge, and uses "faith" as an excuse to ignore observable facts. If it were up to me, established religion would be outlawed. People would be allowed to pray SILENTLY, to whatever god or gods they want, but public displays of stupidity should be punished by neutering, IMO.
  • Leonidas 2012/08/11 17:06:46
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Leonidas
    Hate is a very strong emotional word; but at least I think they do not support religion.
  • bcarrera 2012/08/10 07:51:40 (edited)
    bcarrera
    +1
    We don't hate religion. Religion hates us. Haters gonna hate, believers gonna believe, and non-believers gonna non-believe.
  • LunarRain 2012/08/10 06:12:48
    LunarRain
    +1
    Some are interesting I just don't believe in a god.
  • goblue1968 2012/08/10 00:30:20
    goblue1968
    +1
    My atheism does not hate religion, but I can see how so many billions of people are brainwashed into their religious faiths because they were exposed to it before they were capable of rational and logical thinking on their own volition. That's how it was forced on me before I came to my senses and figured out that there is no logical necessity for a god, but there are thousands of articles of evidence against this world being created by a rational god, therefore the probability of the god concept being true is virtually nil.
  • LilysLittleTwin 2012/08/09 23:01:34
    LilysLittleTwin
    No. End.
  • frank 2012/08/09 20:44:52
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    frank
    +1
    I don't know if all Atheists hate Religion, but I know Bob does.
  • u000 2012/08/09 18:05:26
    u000
    some of them yes
  • Avenged7 2012/08/09 16:58:18
    Avenged7
    I don't like some religions, I think they are to controlling, but as long as they leave me alone, I don't care one whit about them.
  • gashporter 2012/08/09 16:48:30
    gashporter
    No, we leave the hating to the Religious Communities.

http://images.sodahead.com/pr...
  • Icarus 2012/08/09 16:45:23
    Icarus
    +1
    No. In my experience the vast majority of atheists simply have nothing to do with religion. It doesn't come into their lives at all, except maybe the odd wedding etc.
  • Rebel [SHP] 2012/08/09 16:14:46
    Rebel [SHP]
    Many do, not all.
  • hapman 2012/08/09 14:52:53 (edited)
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/08/09 14:50:15
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    No Athiests Do not hate Religion nor do they hate God
    What Athiests hate is what People Do in the Name OF Religion and in the name of GOD
    like the Following
    athiests hate religion hate god athiests hate people religion god
  • reaper ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/10 07:33:28
    reaper
    yeah, these will be useful.
  • gaylehelen 2012/08/09 14:17:55
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    gaylehelen
    +1
    I wouldn't know because I'm not an atheist, but I can certainly see why someone would have that persuasion. Organized religion can be quite despicable. The question reminds me of one of my favorite quotes though. It was from an old Phil Donahue show and Atheism was the topic. One woman got up to the microphone and actually said "Thank God I'm an Atheist." I just thought it was hysterical.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... gaylehelen 2012/08/09 14:51:30
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    I do not Believe in the biblical God But when i said Thank God i mean MY Gods
    im Pagan plus its a common expression
  • art1ej 2012/08/09 14:06:53
    art1ej
    +1
    I just don't want to hear about it & have it pushed down my throat or be told im going to hell for not believing...

bigot
  • ALofRI 2012/08/09 13:13:48
    ALofRI
    +1
    Many people NEED religion, and religions do a lot of good. There are many religious "leaders" who are great actors, and are really in it for the BUCKS. (Though you'll never hear that from them). Great way to make a living...talking, taking peoples money, giving advice and if it turns out badly...well, It was GODS WILL. Many individual leaders AND some organizations have done great things, so I can't "hate " religion, I just can't get my mind around the philosophy of "My religion is better than yours". "You are following a false god!" I'm right, you're wrong"! Millions of people have died in the name of one "god" or another. What I DO hate, is the hypocrisy, the hubris, and the arrogance that comes from being SURE that YOUR way is THE way! I don't feel MY WAY is THE way.....it's just MY WAY, and that's good enough for me. You go your way, I'll go mine. Just, PLEASE, don't insist that I am wrong and try to pass laws that force me to live as you think I should. I will live under "society's morals" NOT someones religious morals.
  • Exile 2012/08/09 11:25:59
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Exile
    I hate the religious, narrow-minded keeches.
  • Maynard Exile 2012/08/09 11:59:50 (edited)
    Maynard
    OPEN MINDED?

Perhaps you can explain a few things in the very first pages of the Bible.

1: "Man is made for the dust of the ground." Proven in OUR LIFETIMES with Science, how did they do that?

2; The big bang, just like Genesis.

3; Read the Weight of the Soul by Dr Duncan McGougal, then see how Man is given a Soul in Genesis, not animals.

4; Moses and the proof that was never there until our lifetimes, it's on Youtube, see the Charriots under water for thousands of years, proving again that the Bible was CORRECT.

I could go on all day, I have barely opened Page 1.

In the end, Revelations, it clearly states that there will be VERY DECIEVING TIMES, don't be DECIEVED.

Go see BIBLE CODES too, if YOU'RE OPEN MINDED LIKE YOU IMPLY BY CLAIMING OTHERS ARE NOT.
  • art1ej Maynard 2012/08/09 13:54:12
    art1ej
    +1
    Actually no...Humans are made from cells. Cells are made up of chemicals. Chemicals are made up of atoms. Sure dust has chemicals and some of them made be similar to what is in dust.

However humans evolved from lower life forms. We were not made. Life came from non life via abiogenesis.

In a sense we are made of star stuff, since the big bang and subsequent events are ultimately responsible for us being here.

No god made us, but we are here as a result of natural forces....
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... art1ej 2012/08/09 14:52:57 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    The Genesis Creation story is a copy of the Babylonian Creation story
    GENESIS 1 & A BABYLONIAN STORY OF ORIGINS
    Genesis
    the Babylonian account of creation was written in the 12th century BCE, centuries earlier than the Biblical account

God creates all matter, but is independent
    of it Earth is in darkness and chaos over
    the deep (Tehom).

Enuma Elish Babylonian

The Divine Spirits and cosmic matters
    coexist and are coeternal. There is a
    primeval chaos in which the gods war
    against the deep (Tiamat).

Genesis
    1st day the creation of light

Enuma Elish Babylonian
    Light emanates from the gods

Genesis
    2nd day the dome of the sky is created

Enuma Elish Babylonian
    creation of the firmament (dome of the Earth

Genesis
    3rd day creation of dry land

Enuma Elish Babylonian
    creation of dry land

Genesis
    4th day creation of heavenly lights

Enuma Elish Babylonian
    creation of heavenly lights

Genesis
    5th day creation of animals

Enuma Elish Babylonian
    5th day Creation of Animals

Genesis
    6th day creation of man

6th day Enuma Elish Babylonian
    creation of man

Genesis
    God rests and sanctifies the sabbath

Enuma Elish Babylonian
    the gods rest and celebrate with a banquet
  • ALofRI Maynard 2012/08/09 14:27:33
    ALofRI
    +1
    "Religious bondage shackles the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect." James Madison
  • JHalden87 2012/08/09 10:50:24 (edited)
    JHalden87
    +2
    It takes more faith to believe in a god than to not believe in it, given the world and environment most people are brought up in. So I do have respect for anyone who holds faith with conviction.

Yes any time a religious believer flaunts their religion as 100% truth and all should follow I get annoyed.

I know more about the christian faith than most 'yes' answerers in this question, if you claim we somehow align ourselves with Islam you don't know anything.

People need to understand atheism is not a 'faith' or even a 'group' we don't conform to leaders or set out views we evolve our own seperate from faith. We build our own moral values off the basis of how can I be a good human being rather than how can I follow the bible.

I don't 'hate' people who believe in a god I do however 'strongly dislike' people attacking atheism as some 'propaganda anti christ belief' because I see American priests every other week claiming they are being persecuted while Sikh temples and Mosque's are being burned down in America. I find the whole thing extremely ridiculous, institutionalized faith is as bad as indoctrination in my view.

Faith itself as a moral guide is not a bad thing but when institutions and corrupt power hungry people get involved they twist teachings into their own interpretations promoting violence and persecution. (I.E circa 14th century vatican and Al Qaeda).
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/08/09 10:47:36
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    There are some atheists on this site that are obsessed with religion.
  • ALofRI Rusty S... 2012/08/09 13:19:32
    ALofRI
    +2
    There are some religious people on this site that are obsessed with Atheists.
  • Rusty S... ALofRI 2012/08/09 14:30:46
    Rusty Shackleford
    Nearly every poll posted on SH about religion is posted by atheists.
  • elijahin24 Rusty S... 2012/08/14 13:36:35
    elijahin24
    +1
    Obsession does not equal hate. To suggest that, would logically say that anyone who spends a great deal of their time pushing their beliefs, such as devout evangelicals, ministers of every stripe and of course, you; hate non-believers and all who don't share your dogma. I don't believe this to be the case. We discuss and debate, which is fine; but it isn't necessarily hateful.
  • D D 2012/08/09 10:19:37
    D D
    They hate Christianity. Any other religion is fine. They will even rally for Islam.
  • ALofRI D D 2012/08/09 13:27:51
    ALofRI
    +2
    As Gandhi said: " I like your Christ, it's your Christians i don't like. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Of course, that's not ALL Christians....just too much of a majority, and too many "leaders". I would add to that some other religions, including Islam.
  • reaper D D 2012/08/10 07:41:45
  • D D reaper 2012/08/10 09:45:47
    D D
    That is an awful pic.
  • elijahin24 D D 2012/08/14 13:37:40
    elijahin24
    +2
    I think all religion is a plague, but the genie is out of the bottle, so I defend the RIGHT of anyone, to believe and worship as they choose, provided it doesn't directly impact me, or use government resources to do it.
  • Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012/08/09 08:48:36
    Undecided / Other Opinion
    Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +2
    Do people of religion hate freedom?

2014/09/20 06:01:30