Do America's Social and Economic Problems Stem From the Market or the State?

U-Dog 2012/05/31 23:30:40
Free Markets
Crony Government
A Mixture of Both

Please be respectful and read the following before commenting:

walter williams

Walter Williams, who is a member of the Grove City College board of trustees, gave a positively Rothbardian commencement speech last Saturday. He started out by telling the assembled that he would discuss “fundamental principles” necessary to “preserve the blessings of liberty.” “The first principle of a free society,” he said, “is that each person owns himself.” And “the direct implication of self-ownership is people must own those things they produce.” “The idea of self-ownership” he continued, “is what makes slavery, murder, rape, assault, extortion, theft, and the like immoral acts.” The market economy not only preserves these fundamental rights of property, but brings into being a prosperous middle class and permits the leisure and extended division of labor necessary for civilization. In the market, income is earned by serving others and can be used for genuine charity towards those in need.

Our social problems do not stem from the market, but from the state. “The great problems that confront our nation,’ he said, “have their roots in morality where we’ve asked government to commit immoral and unconstitutional acts.”

Read More: http://bastiat.mises.org/2012/05/at-last-a-memorab...

• A Mixture of Both
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Ferengi Fascism. The Middle Class is now an Endengered Species.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/06/02 05:38:50
    Crony Government
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    Let us keep in mine that the government is the people. When the people vote for someone based on what can he do for me rather than what he can do for the nation this is a problem. This is why we have people that vote on the bases, is this person going to increase my welfare or is he going to work on making the country prospers so that I can find work and contribute to the well being of the nation. Is this person going to see to it that I am feed or is his going to work on making an environment where I have the ability work and sustain myself and my family. Is he going to pass laws to suppress me because he does not trust me or is he going to protect my freedoms and protect my rights. Is he going to make laws for my own good or is he going to respect my freedom of choice. Is he going to tax me for my habits that he disagree with until he changes my behavior to get his way.
  • stevmackey 2012/06/01 18:29:29
    A Mixture of Both
    stevmackey
    +1
    The market can handle itself. When the government meddles it makes things worse. Look at the failed bank bailouts.
    Crony Government
    +1
    Largely from government with laws and regulations that do more harm than good
  • Muriel 2012/06/01 16:30:42 (edited)
    Free Markets
    Muriel
    +1
    I marked the wrong one again, sorry. I do believe the problems come from govt. if the free markets reigned we be a lot better off.
  • Apache 2012/06/01 13:03:46
    A Mixture of Both
    Apache
    +1
    A shame a Walter Williams philosophy is not resonating through the actions & promises of America's highest paid public servants. Whilst crony governments contribute significantly to social & economic problems the assumption of a unidimensional negative influence precludes the interactive & cumulative effects of market manipulation on consumer naivety. The equal exchange of goods based on a mutually agreed value system rests on the premise that the decision of worth is measured by objective indices rather than arbitrary & self serving assigned values. When products such as tobacco, petrol, medicines & other items of real or artificial need increase in cost to the consumer exponentially, the ideal of market equilibrium is lost. Government regulations have failed to stem the rising costs of living & subsequent impact on the various social units.
    Exploitation of need further erodes social & economic systems.
  • U-Dog Apache 2012/06/01 13:57:31
    U-Dog
    +1
    "Government regulations have failed to stem the rising costs of living & subsequent impact on the various social units. Exploitation of need further erodes social & economic systems."

Personally I would argue that it is unnecessary and costly government over regulation and currency debasement which are the primary causes of the "rising costs of living & subsequent impact on the various social units." What "exploitation" which does occur within free markets is easily adjusted to by increased competition-- when those potential competitors are not blocked by crony government protection of existing corporations and industries.
  • Apache U-Dog 2012/06/01 14:16:52
    Apache
    +1
    The relative portioning of blame rests with government intervention, under whatever paternal, benevolent, benign or pragmatic rationale is ascribed to the action. However I would rather make salient the potential for systemic market imbalance perpetuated by the strangulation of small business and pseudo competition. Whilst counterintuitive there is a concomitant apathy, malaise & global hopelessness & helplessness within societies confronting prolonged economic decline.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/01 12:14:28
    Crony Government
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The government needs to stay out of private enterprise. obaaaama care is an example of a socialist money grab at this large industry---insurance.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/06/01 03:05:23
    Crony Government
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +2
    Martial Law controls government at the Federal Level, that accounts for the complete lack of descent. It has replaced the free market system with a crony monopolistic system similar to medieval Europe. The king and all the little kings get a taste.

A true free market system is wonderful and works beautiful, go to a yard sale if you want to see it work.

Some major reform is called for though when the elected government is restored and martial law is lifted.

The income tax can be completely eliminated by taxing the Federal Reserve Bank 8% (until it is dissolved). Make it illegal for one corporation to own another. Make it illegal for unions to own shares in corporations (they make up the majority of wall street shareholders - they should be treated as the hedge funds they are and makes collective bargaining a scam - either they are share holders or they represent labor, can't negotiate with themselves). Make Delaware registration of Corporations invalid in all the other 49 states. Ban all derivatives and re-instate Glass Steigal. Many reforms are required and the list is long.
  • apachehellfire65 2012/06/01 02:48:59
    Crony Government
    apachehellfire65
    +2
    they are the one's who write the laws, regulate commerce,write the loop holes, and accept the big corporate campaign donations to look the other way.
  • abubincrazy 2012/06/01 02:38:16 (edited)
    Crony Government
    abubincrazy
    +4
    Our government scams and manipulates for its own gain, at our expense.

They create problems so they can pretend to want to fix them.

But they never do fix them, because then they wouldn't have problems to pretend to want to fix.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/06/01 02:33:05
    Crony Government
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +4
    Business didn't create welfare, business doesn't profit from criminals, businesses don't promote rape or immoral behavior.
    Government not only promotes all the immorality they take businesses and individuals money to fund it. Greatly profit from some criminal behaviors and deem anyone that will vote for them worthy of welfare.
    The biggest fraud of all is that the government is the highest form of corporate welfare, it produces nothing, makes no money from it's work, and increases spending with no plan to pay for the expenditures other than raising taxes on the productive businesses and people that will work.
    Charities used to get more donations before the government messed them over too, now everything has to be run like a business (except the government, they don't have to show a profit, no accountability, etc.) make money to pay your expenses or else. A lot of charities used to be tax free that aren't now.
    Crony Government
    +5
    The State is the problem. For one thing, the State directly steals from some to give to others. For another, the State, by taking upon itself to forbid certain things, actively endorses that which it permits. If the State had nothing to do with voluntary consensual acts, "social issues" would be of no moment. The market would then judge people's behavior--and can be a surprisingly exacting judge.
  • Theresa 2012/06/01 01:30:13
    Crony Government
    Theresa
    +4
    Everything comes from people who think they are so smart that they can predict winners and losers.
  • Kane Fernau 2012/06/01 00:53:21
    Crony Government
    Kane Fernau
    +4
    reduce the growth of government spending, reduce income tax and capital gains tax, reduce government regulation of economy, and control money supply to reduce inflation.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/06/01 00:50:52
    Crony Government
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
  • U-Dog Ballade... 2012/06/01 01:10:17
    U-Dog
    +5
    You and me both LOL
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/06/01 00:22:08
    Crony Government
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +5
    What we have is not a failure of Capitalism, but a lack of it. Look at the housing market, which is what affected us the most, and you'll see nothing but government meddling and interference. You can see that in almost every problem that we have.
  • Striker 2012/05/31 23:38:32
    Free Markets
    Striker
    +5
    Going too fast and blew my click again. It's Government, not free markets.
  • Jacob M... Striker 2012/06/01 01:57:49
    Jacob Mahurien
    +2
    Telling from your, "voluntary," avatar, that's a huge slip up.
  • Striker Jacob M... 2012/06/02 02:29:32
    Striker
    +1
    Sure was! Unless we wait until SH page is fully loaded, that happens too much!
  • U-Dog 2012/05/31 23:34:41
    Crony Government
    U-Dog
    +4
    The link I provided in the question is broken for some reason... The link to Walter Williams full speech is below:

http://www.gcc.edu/2012_Comme...
  • Gracie ... U-Dog 2012/06/01 00:23:15
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +5
    Walter Williams is fantastic. I read his autobiography and it was pretty surprising.

Up from the projects Walter Williams
  • U-Dog Gracie ... 2012/06/01 01:11:37
    U-Dog
    +3
    I have read parts of it but have not finished it yet... it is a great read.-)

2014/10/02 14:48:07