Disney World Raises Prices, $100 Admissions Not Far Off: Outrageous or Understandable?

Business 2012/06/11 01:06:23
On Friday, Disney World raised its single-day ticket prices from $85 to $89. And if this trend keeps up, the $100 ticket will arrive in about two to three years! We love Disneyland as much as the next person. But laying down a Benjamin for a single day in a theme park! That seems outrageous to us.

Unfortunately, just a quick look at the numbers makes it clear that that’s where we’re heading. According to Beth Kassab of the Orlando Sentinel, over the past decade Disney has raised prices by an average of 6%, or about $3.90, each year. At that rate, we’ll reach the $100 ticket in 2014 or 2015.

Even if moving to three digit admissions prices makes financial sense, there’s no denying that the $100 ticket (like $4-per-gallon gas) requires crossing a big psychological milestone.

"The moment you get to three digits, it has an emotional impact," says Eli Portnoy, CEO of CultureRanch. "It's a barrier no one wants to cross, and Disney is going to have to be careful about crossing it."

Disney does have to be careful. But the fact that theme park attendance continues to rise even during tough economic times (3% last year according to the LA Times) means that further prices hikes are inevitable.

So SodaHeads, what do you think about Disney admissions prices approaching $100? Outrageous or understandable?

Read More: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os...

• Couri 2012/06/11 02:32:36
    Understandable
    Couri
    +12
    When you consider the size of the park, the cleanliness, the attitude of the employees, the standards, and the sheer number of rides/attractions/characters/... and then consider they literally have something for every age that walks through the gate, it all boils down to getting what you pay for.

If you don't want to pay the admission, don't go. It's that simple.

• C. C. R... ZERO 2012/06/11 22:43:45 (edited)
  • ZERO C. C. R... 2012/06/11 22:49:03
    ZERO
    +1
    Deep down, you know I'm right. And you should be outraged, I was, but if you look into it for yourself you will be warning people too. As for a lawsuit, I am totally unconcerned, like I said it's not slander if it's TRUE.
    disney tangled
  • C. C. R... ZERO 2012/06/11 23:54:31
    C. C. Rider
    I stand by my concerns, there is something wrong with some when they sit day after day looking at cartoons and pull out strong sexual content toward Children. IT is you who I find spooky and sick.
  • ZERO C. C. R... 2012/06/12 00:01:44
  • C. C. R... ZERO 2012/06/12 00:24:30
    C. C. Rider
    Drop dead sicko. What else do you look for in the kiddie section? You are sick threw and threw.

And it is YOU who is producing the sick stuff. NOT DISNEY But you keep on posting dear. I like some one so sick they sink their own boat.
  • ZERO C. C. R... 2012/06/12 04:38:43
    ZERO
    +1
    If I'm wrong, prove it. Show me a picture of the cover of Tangled where it doesn't have the word sex written by the rope or whatever on the guy. Otherwise admit that I'm right. There's no need for high emotion here, just reasoned analysis.

If you want to believe that Disney is still the bastion of wholesomeness that it was when you were a child, then go ahead. It's not really my problem anyway, it's your family you're letting them warp, not mine. I only speak out because it bothers me that people put their kids in front of that mind control garbage, but I can only give you the clue, you have to find the truth for yourself.
  • C. C. R... ZERO 2012/06/12 13:30:21
  • C. C. R... glass_b... 2012/06/11 17:25:49
    C. C. Rider
    he has perverted all of those comics, NONE of which he is showing you are the real drawings. Infact he could be sued for what he is doing.
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/12 00:19:05
    Mel Martens
    +3
    Uhm...these pics and screenshots have existed for years. I know not everyone spends time LOOKING for them but I have stumbled across them more than once. I also checked out an old copy of Little Mermaid and yes, that frame exists if only for a second. It's supposed to be the priest's knee hitching the cloth but does look like something else.

As for Lion Kind's 'SEX in the clouds. I'm sure it's supposed to say 'SFX' as in 'Special FX' that the artists threw in as a little wave to the guys behind the scenes. But to an untrained eye with the whisp floating down at the F, it can look like an E.

The same goes for the Tangled "SEX". I'm very sure it's supposed to be a hidden SFX. Disney hides a LOT of stuff in their cartoons. As far as I know it they hide a Mickey Mouse head profile in every movie in some form or another. Check out 'Dinosaur', for example. When they finally get to the Hatching grounds and stand on the hill overlooking it, the lake is in the shape of Mickey Mouse.

(and the first pic of Micky holding onto Minnie...her dress does look phallic. Zoomed in I can't miss it but looking at the whole picture my mind goes back to the original observation that it's just a dress.)
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 00:28:09
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/12 00:35:35
  • Mae Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 12:40:27
    Mae
    Have you spotted the Beast in the Shaw's collection of little toy animals that he has all stacked up, in Aladdin?
  • Mel Mar... Mae 2012/06/12 12:57:53
    Mel Martens
    No I did not spot that. Must check it out next time I watch it. Oh! Keep an eye out for Mrs Pots in Tarzan and Pixar's tendancy to put something from their skits or previous movies (and even glimpses of their next ones, like Dug the Dog from Up being seen in Ratatouille...at least his shadow.)
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 13:34:07
    C. C. Rider
    ALERT PERV CLUB IS HERE
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/13 06:52:38
    Mel Martens
    Fine.

http://findingmickey.squaresp...

Found this. Enjoy the "Perv Club" (since it's actually not that and simply golden trivia for people to look for when they visit Disneyland and watch the movies)
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/13 10:42:22
    C. C. Rider
    YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT!!!!! LMAO Disney did not hide porn in the cartoons. They do love jokes and I am very aware of the practice of CLEAN FUN dear.
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/13 10:47:30
    Mel Martens
    No I only proved the point that you called us all perves by stating simple little things that pop out in cartoons and then screamed it at me when I talked about the INNOCENT stuff that gets hidden in the movies all the time.

All I PROVED was that you have very selective reading standards and continued to push the Perv point long after it had moved onto other things.
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/13 11:12:09
    C. C. Rider
    UHH DUDE, you never stayed on subject on this blog. And I am right. You came on here and backed some perv who studied children's cartoons for porn. I would say that is proof of pervs don't you?

I said there is no porn in those toons and there is not. The only thing that ever happened was a mistake on some nude chick. THAT was not done on purpose.

Now you show up with a link of fun proving what I said. I am WELL aware of what prantsers they can be in print and in real life. BUT with porn in the toons no way!!

I do thank you for the link and was relieved it was not to some porn site LOL LOL

I also owe you an apology. I think you really enjoy the art of toons. And that you are not a PERV. I hope you forgive me on that.
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/13 11:25:40
    Mel Martens
    +1
    All I know is what I see. And considering I pointed out the SFX (Special Effects) team popping their logo into a couple cartoons and got hammered for it, I did find that rather unfair. Sometimes phallic symbols can be seen EVERYWHERE for those who look for it and again I pretty much only pointed out how some things can be mistaken as such when zoomed in.

I accept the apology and hope you can understand where I was coming from in that department. The link was also to iron out the little fact that Disney does hide a lot of stuff and it's all very true. Like Mrs Pots in Tarzan, Beast in Aladdin and Goofy, Donald and Micky in Little Mermaid.
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/13 11:54:11
    C. C. Rider
    I never denied them hiding funny things all threw out the toons, and they do the same at Disneyland and Disneyworld parks THAT IS A FACT for sure, lets just say in the heat of the argument I was wrong and when you jumped in it seemed you wanted to defend the REAL PERV in this conversation and that is not you.

Thank you for accepting my apology. I hope you continue to enjoy Disney toons and what they offer other then the cute hidden giggles they put in there.

disney cartoons with hidden signs
  • C. C. R... Mae 2012/06/12 13:33:55
    C. C. Rider
    lol you guys must run a perv club. I can only imagine what you and your shrink did with those ole ink spots.
  • Mel Mar... Mae 2012/06/13 06:51:42
    Mel Martens
    Found the BEST site ever.

Shows all the hidden Mickeys everywhere and little homages to other films within frames. Brilliant.

http://findingmickey.squaresp...
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 13:33:03 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    I see there is a club out there for pervs. I can only imagine what fun you and your shrink had reading those ole ink spots. I also find it odd that I get swarmed by three of you all of sudden over this. Some one had to go and get you for this. I can only imagine what you do when looking at clouds too. Look, Disney is not the bad guy out there and as for cartoons have fun with them, it seems you already are.

You of course are wrong
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/12 13:50:53
    Mel Martens
    Ok, whatever. Perv club ahoy! Apparently finding cool hidden stuff in movies and being from random different countries altogether and not even friends on an online forum means we're all perverts! Remember that children next time you point out Scar from Lion King is being used as a throwrug in Hercules. Coz it means you're a perv even though you're 5.

Yay to frakking logic -_-
  • Mae C. C. R... 2012/06/12 12:38:50
    Mae
    C.C.R., I'm afraid this stuff is true, I remember each of these examples, (well, I hadn't seen the one about Minnie's dress before, but I do remember all the other ones), I saw all of these examples and more told on the local and national news when each "hidden picture or message" was found in a Disney film. There was a run on "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" videos (or was it the laserdisc--I can't remember anymore) when someone reported that in one scene featuring Jessica Rabbit when she was ejected from Benny the Cab, that her crotch was visible for a moment, and she wasn't wearing underwear. (I'm sure nothing graphic was really seen, as the moment is only visible for a couple of frames, and it's a cartoon character after all, but still, guys were racing to buy the movie before Disney could pull them off the shelves.

Then there was the report on the original VHS of "The Rescuers". There was even a recall available, to return the film and Disney would be putting new copies of the film out after that. If you have an old VHS, go watch the scene (you have to slow it down to frame-by-frame) when Orville the albatross takes off the rooftop of a New York skyscraper with Bianca & Bernard on his back. There's a shot of a topless woman seen in one of the windows of the building they're r...

&

Then there was the report on the original VHS of "The Rescuers". There was even a recall available, to return the film and Disney would be putting new copies of the film out after that. If you have an old VHS, go watch the scene (you have to slow it down to frame-by-frame) when Orville the albatross takes off the rooftop of a New York skyscraper with Bianca & Bernard on his back. There's a shot of a topless woman seen in one of the windows of the building they're racing past, as Orville plummets towards the ground before pulling up an flying away.

Animators have been doing this kind of stuff forever, they're usually meant as little in-jokes to animation-industry insiders, but every now & then, somebody in the public notices something and it gets out there into the public knowledge. Most likely, every animation studio does it. I remember back in the 80's, my family loved the Robotech anime series. We got a hold of a copy of the Japanese movie "Macross, Do You Remember Love?", which was based on the first series that was part of Robotech in the states. In a climactic scene towards the end of the movie, the hero unloads all his missiles from his Valkyrie (looks like an F-14, but it can transform into three different shapes) at the enemy, and one of the missiles shooting past the screen happened to be a can of Budweiser.
  • C. C. R... Mae 2012/06/12 13:40:52
    C. C. Rider
    AWW now we are up to three pervs who never showed up but to read cartoons to each other. BUT not with out adding in their reading into it.

WE all can see different things when we look at clouds, this is how you guys are. Now there are three of you. First all three of you are off the subject, but I do understand the excitment you must feel infinding other pervs that see this too. Please REMEMBER these are things YOU SEE, not me. These are things YOU are making up, as for the topless lady, cut me a break. Mistakes do happen, I have to laugh, as per you..."you have to slow it up" LOL LOL I rest my case with that one.
  • Mel Mar... C. C. R... 2012/06/12 13:54:08
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 14:00:26 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    I see you still can not shut up about this. SO here goes, you have absolutely no respect for them at all. NONE! and it shows. Now before you READ more into that statement then I want done, end of conversation

I can only imagine what you read into this mickey mouse giving the finger
  • Mel Mar... Mae 2012/06/12 14:03:45
    Mel Martens
    Don't bother. It's like he/she's trapped a little bubble and unwilling to do some research. Also unwilling to face facts that subtle messages are constantly being put in cartoons and such and have been done so for decades. It's a basic normal practice...guess it worked on C.C.R
  • C. C. R... Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 14:13:05
    C. C. Rider
    lol
  • Redneck 2012/06/11 13:04:52
    Outrageous
    Redneck
    +3
    Last time we went, the lines were so long that we had no fun at all, even with the fast pass. we'll never go back to disney world. I like universal studios better.
  • Resp 2012/06/11 12:56:34
    Outrageous
    Resp
    +5
    $100.00?? Mickey Mouse can kiss my ass for $20.00. How about it Mickey? Call me!
  • Lizard King 2012/06/11 12:40:02
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/11 12:28:23
    Understandable
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    When you consider the cost of fuel and health care benefits among other things that they are paying, I think the rise in their prices is just business. The important thing is that there is competition around them so that the public has other choices. Ultimately the final choice is to go to Disney or not. I can't remember the last time I went but each time I have gone, it was an enjoyable experience. To be honest, I don't go often because I don't like crowds and I find that the price of a ticket would buy me a hotel room in the North Carolina mountains where I can ride my motorcycle on some really nice mountain roads, a far better ride than any Disney attraction.

Disney and their competitors will charge what the market will bear. That's just business and something that liberals with their entitlement mentality do not understand. When Disney's guest numbers start to go down, then they will realize they have gone too high.
  • Lanikai Bill ~P... 2012/06/11 13:40:43
    +2
    September, January, February are the low crowd months in Disney World. It is crowded but I sure love it.
  • Kris Bill ~P... 2012/06/11 16:11:30
    Kris
    Oh Bill G53, you are apparently one of those brainwashed, naive corporate brown-nosers who believes the destructive corporate BS. Large corporations are CORRUPT. Drink that tea! Lol!
  • Bill ~P... Kris 2012/06/11 19:19:11
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    No. Nor am I a sock puppet. Disney is Greeedeeeeyyyyy. Aww...... poor baby. Go see if you can get a job from a burger flipper like yourself. If you can't afford to go to Disney, that because you've made lousy-ass decisions in your life. Go back to school and get a GED and maybe you'll learn how to post an avitar for starters.
  • Mel Mar... Bill ~P... 2012/06/12 00:29:38
    Mel Martens
    +1
    It's not business when they constantly hike up prices. 3 digits is a borderline price and has a massive psychological impact on consumer mentality.
    Have you seen tvs going for $1999 and not a straight $2k? It's because the mind is more readily able to accept a price that starts with a lower number than the price they logically know it actually is.
    As an assistant in a small leatherworking business, we regularly get international shipments of leather and pouches that we have to price according to how much it cost us to ship in and how much profit we want to gain and always cut off just before the borderline. It's basically us looking at the product, knowing the cost of it and seeing how much we would be willing to pay for it while still keeping it just below the price we WANT to sell it at.
    So we sell a pouch for $28.95 instead of a straight 30 or 29. It's business psychology. Sure, our business is hellishly smaller than Disney, but even they should realise the impact it has on the psyche to swap out from decades of 2 digits to 3.
  • Bill ~P... Mel Mar... 2012/06/12 13:12:21
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    Let's say I spend $5 on a piece of leather and spend one hour fashioning it into a product. Let's say I take my products to a flea market and sell them for $10 and they are so popular that they sell out. Hmmm..... So I make more and the next weekend I go back to the flea market. Do you think I'm going to sell them for $10? Hell no! I bump it up to $15 and they still sell out! Great! Make more and go back.... Do you think I'm going to sell again for $15? Nope... I keep bumping the price up until I find what the market will bear.

If a competitior comes along and makes the same thing and sells his for a little less than me, then I might lower my price and I'll keep lowering it until I get down to where I can no longer make a reasonable profit. That's called the free market and the free market is a wonderful thing. It keep prices down and it keeps quality up.

I don't give a damn abouyt $28.95 vs $30. I see that as just a psychlogical scam and I don't see what it has to do with Disney World's pricing structure. What would you say if I told you your leatherworking corporation was corrupt and greedy asking for 28.95 for your product?

So why are you calling Disney corrupt and greedy?
  • heirsoftheking 2012/06/11 12:16:27
    Outrageous
    heirsoftheking
    +5
    I live about 60 miles east of Florida's Disney World. Disney World jacked up their ticket prices only because Universal Studios jacked up theirs. I've lived here for 32 years and I've been to Disney World maybe a dozen times. The first time I was there in 1980, I paid 14 bucks admission. Now you have to pay that much just to park.

If you go to Disney World, the only way you can get your money's worth is to enter through the gate when they open at 8:00 AM. That way you get on the rides with no wait, and you get to ride them numerous times. By 11:00 AM the Magic Kingdom really begins to fill up, and the lines get uncomfortably long.

In my truly honest opinion, if you can't get through the gates by 9:30 AM, you wasted your money for sure. I can't see spending 500 bucks for a family of 4 (admission, parking, and meals) just to ride 5 rides for a total of 20 minutes (maybe), while spending several hours standing in long lines for hours in the hot Florida sun. WHAT A JIP!

2014/10/21 18:43:51