Disney World Raises Prices, $100 Admissions Not Far Off: Outrageous or Understandable?

Business 2012/06/11 01:06:23
On Friday, Disney World raised its single-day ticket prices from $85 to $89. And if this trend keeps up, the $100 ticket will arrive in about two to three years! We love Disneyland as much as the next person. But laying down a Benjamin for a single day in a theme park! That seems outrageous to us.

Unfortunately, just a quick look at the numbers makes it clear that that’s where we’re heading. According to Beth Kassab of the Orlando Sentinel, over the past decade Disney has raised prices by an average of 6%, or about $3.90, each year. At that rate, we’ll reach the $100 ticket in 2014 or 2015.

Even if moving to three digit admissions prices makes financial sense, there’s no denying that the $100 ticket (like $4-per-gallon gas) requires crossing a big psychological milestone.

"The moment you get to three digits, it has an emotional impact," says Eli Portnoy, CEO of CultureRanch. "It's a barrier no one wants to cross, and Disney is going to have to be careful about crossing it."

Disney does have to be careful. But the fact that theme park attendance continues to rise even during tough economic times (3% last year according to the LA Times) means that further prices hikes are inevitable.

So SodaHeads, what do you think about Disney admissions prices approaching $100? Outrageous or understandable?

Read More: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os...

• Couri 2012/06/11 02:32:36
    Understandable
    Couri
    +12
    When you consider the size of the park, the cleanliness, the attitude of the employees, the standards, and the sheer number of rides/attractions/characters/... and then consider they literally have something for every age that walks through the gate, it all boils down to getting what you pay for.

If you don't want to pay the admission, don't go. It's that simple.

• Faith ~... nofrills 2012/06/12 18:39:43
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    They aren't ripping you off, it is your CHOICE on if you go or not. Everyone Is working for a profit, why shouldn't they do the same? No one goes to work day after day hoping to break even.
  • Birthpangs 2012/06/11 21:29:59
  • FairLady 2012/06/11 21:29:20
    Outrageous
    FairLady
    +2
    Totally nuts. I think they cut a number of visitors by raising prices like this. In this poor economy the last thing a family spends on is $100 in Disney.
  • Gregaj7 2012/06/11 21:15:44
    Outrageous
    +3
    I have better things to do with $100 than that.
  • Jdogg 2012/06/11 20:55:13
    Understandable
    Jdogg
    +2
    It's expensive to keep up a place like this, But at that price, That might keep people from coming and having a good time.
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/11 20:54:26
    Outrageous
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    Glad I went to Disneyland 27 years ago. brother lives down the street from World,but that expensive.
  • lia the jud... 2012/06/12 03:48:14
    lia
    The last time I was there was about that time too. I'm thinking it was about $25 to get in then.
  • the jud... lia 2012/06/12 12:03:32
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    Yep sounds right
  • fortycal_sig 2012/06/11 20:32:19
    Outrageous
    fortycal_sig
    I'm what their marketeers would call a "negative non-user." But anyone that spends that kind of money to visit some fantasy-land maus-haus is just plan foolish IMO.
  • Katfish 2012/06/11 20:04:16
    Understandable
    Katfish
    Blame the Federal Reserve for inflation. Not just Disney, Insurance and food are fine examples.
  • belle 2012/06/11 19:48:54
    Understandable
    belle
    Lot more understandable than the cost of going to a sporting event and paying really outlandish prices for 2 or 3 hours. You can be at Disney World or Disnet lanf all day, You have a better chance of getting your money worth than at a football game,
  • Beat Ma... belle 2012/06/12 07:36:06
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    But for 2-3 hours, you don't have to eat. At Disneyland, you'll get hungry during the day and during the hot summer, you'll get thirsty (don't even pretend that you'll carry a cooler around that place all day either). So for a family of 4:

$400 to get in.
    $160 for meals (lunch and dinner).
    $40 for water/cold drinks.

You're already at $500, and you haven't even bought any souvenirs. "Sorry kid, you want that Donald Duck plush doll or do you want to eat?"
  • Faith ~... Beat Ma... 2012/06/12 18:42:09
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +1
    So when you get hungry, leave the park for lunch! Go back to your hotel and have sandwiches, or go to the McDonalds a couple blocks away, or ANY of the other places that are maybe a block outside of the park then go back after lunch.
  • belle Faith ~... 2012/06/12 19:05:14
    belle
    +1
    very good plan
  • belle Beat Ma... 2012/06/12 19:04:39
    belle
    +1
    come on don't tell me you don't eat and drink at a sport event. What do the sportinng tickets cost, high dollars. Nope rather go to Disneyland or disney world.
  • FineCut69 2012/06/11 19:47:52
    Outrageous
    FineCut69
    +1
    It is outrageous to goad children and families to a theme park then expect them to not end up paying for it for years to come... IF the park include a free hat and free meals, great but everything inside the park costs a million dollars as well... This is really sad...
  • Sass 2012/06/11 19:36:15 (edited)
    Outrageous
    Sass
    +3
    And from a business perspective, they will be cutting their own throats.
    Disney's new slogan--
    THE MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE ON EARTH
  • Deborah Donnison 2012/06/11 18:59:04
    Outrageous
    Deborah Donnison
    +2
    I remember the old days of Disney, when Walt himself was the CEO. The prices were fare, if not equal to, a regular small amusment park. Walt said the park was for everyone and he seemed to make sure than anyone could afford to go there. Then came Michel Isner and he turned a wonderful thing for families into a Corporation, who only cared about shareholders and profits. I was living here in Florida when Disney World came into being. Then Isner got his hands on it and ruined it for everyone. He even threatened the small businesses, pediatricians offices, day care centers, anyone who had Disney charaters painted on their walls for the children, with lawsuits if they didn't cover up the "Disney Registered Trademark Characters". You would think that he would have left it alone...it's like free advertising. That just shows you what a jerk he was. I bet poor old Walt was rolling over in his grave.
  • lolitalovely 2012/06/11 18:56:17
    Understandable
    lolitalovely
    Season passes are much better in value. I went to Disney world about ten times last year for almost 300 dollars not counting hotel fees, food, and shopping. It is a wonderful set of theme parks and the cast members work extremely hard. I really enjoy going to the parks with my friends. I've been defeating my fear of roller coasters with my friends' help and extreme sleep deprivation. I think, all-in-all, my season passes are well worth it.
  • wutever 2012/06/11 18:45:34
    Outrageous
    wutever
    +1
    Im sure it cost a lot to keep that place up and running, but thats going to make people not want to go. I bet for a familly of five it would cost about 2 grand. If im going go spend that much on vacation, im going to vagas
  • ♥•judy•♥ 2012/06/11 18:42:40
    Understandable
    ♥•judy•♥
    +1
    now people stop being cheap its A LOT OF THINGS YOU CAN do at disney world its like a FUN HOUSE but more
    disney world
  • Michelle ♥•judy•♥ 2012/08/19 21:51:32 (edited)
    Michelle
    There's a lot more fun things that some people would rather do with $100. Not to mention there may be "A LOT OF THINGS YOU CAN DO", but you DO spend most of the day waiting in lines.
  • EddyGee53 2012/06/11 18:41:28
    Outrageous
    EddyGee53
    +3
    Greed will turn Disney into a ghost town much like other theme parks and movie theaters.
    Disney World is a LUXURY fewer and fewer families can afford and sadly it's because of
    corporate green and a disregard for everything and everyone that does not increase the percentage of profit every year.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/06/11 18:36:45
  • Beatlefish 2012/06/11 17:59:54
    Outrageous
    Beatlefish
    +3
    That much for admission?....then you have to pay again if you want to eat?,buy souvenirs .. Disney is not on my list of places to go. They have RUIINED ABC I wish they had never bought it...they are evil, selfish, money hungry jerks. I used to like Disney this is NOT what Walt Disney created.. Disney the most expensive place on earth?...give it time. Not the happiest at all.
  • belle Beatlefish 2012/06/12 19:08:24
    belle
    +1
    same as going to a sports event or the movie you pay for what you eat. Soon as the movie ends you are out, the same at a football fame, but you can stay fir hours and you can get a day oe seasins pass to helo with the cost.
  • Nonpartisan 2012/06/11 17:54:04
    Understandable
    Nonpartisan
    It is a monstrous very profitable business, with Inflation I would guess that is just to be expected. I have never been to Disneyland or Disney World, and with the cost of such a trip and admissions unless I am very rich I doubt if I ever will. I am just not that rich, even at the original prices.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/06/11 17:51:30
    Outrageous
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +5
    THEY WILL BE PRICING MANY FAMILIES OUT OF THE DISNEY EXPERIENCE.....
  • Carson MOMMA T... 2012/06/12 05:06:05
  • MOMMA T... Carson 2012/06/12 06:03:32
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    I'D HAVE TO AGREE. MY EXCITEMENT WAS OUR FAMILY CAMPING AND FISHING IN THE WILDERNESS, SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN, PLAYING IN THE LOCAL COUNTY PARK, AND A DRIVE ALONG THE HIGHWAYS NOW AND THEN. KIDS HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED.... ENTERTAINMENT IS MAGIC MOUNTAIN, DISNEYLAND, DISNEY CRUISES, KNOTT'S BERRY FARM, TICKETS TO PRO GAMES, AND THE LIKES. CAN'T EVEN GET THEM TO RIDE A BIKE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OR SKATE ON THE SIDEWALK ANYMORE! ...GREAT GRANDMA
  • Michelle MOMMA T... 2012/08/19 21:53:01
    Michelle
    Just a question... is your "cap lock" button broken or something? :P
  • MOMMA T... Michelle 2012/08/19 23:28:42
    MOMMA THOMAS
    SORRY THE CAPS OFFEND YOU, MICHELLE. HAD A STROKE, ..EYESIGHT IS FAILING. ...GREAT GRANDMA
  • FanOreilly 2012/06/11 17:44:04
    Outrageous
    FanOreilly
    +1
    It's their business not mine but I won't be buying a ticket.
  • hasher FanOreilly 2012/06/12 00:20:27
    hasher
    +1
    me either i think disney is overrated. that being said cedar point in sandusky ohio is a way better deal for a daily ticket than disney a one day ticket at cedar point is 51 and you can get discounts at places like credit unions and banks and meijer stores. i have a season pass there and it only costs 150 and includes early admission, free parking plus admission to anything cedar fair owns. as well as other perks. pays for itself in 3 visits.
  • hasher hasher 2012/06/12 00:28:05
    hasher
    +2
    and an annual pass comparable to the one from cedar point at disney is $ 744.00!!! that is ridiculous!!
  • hasher hasher 2012/06/12 00:31:59
    hasher
    universal studios only want 349 for an annual pass less than half the price of disney
    Outrageous
    +6
    People can control this by people going or not going......when people start saying...enough is enough....and Disney doenst' have people coming to their park....they will be forced to make decisions....as long as we support them....they will rise..!
  • mind-pilot 2012/06/11 17:01:02
    Outrageous
    mind-pilot
    +1
    Outrageous. I was there when the first one opened in Anaheim( my folks took me) but the novelty has totally worn-off. Taking my grandkids now, is taking them into a money-pit. $3500 for two days really is much more than the experience is worth. All of the characters are basically out-dated. Mickey Mouse? Who? There's other, affordable parks with a simuliar excitement level. Avoid at all costs, cause it costs too much. Let Europe have 'em.
  • PapaBC 2012/06/11 17:00:27
    Outrageous
    PapaBC
    +2
    I stopped go to this place because the price was high before and did not want to rush over to schedule appointments to see the shows later in the day. 90% of the rides we can not ride anymore so shows are what is left for us to do. If the shows are book before we can walk over to the reservation desks then we can sit home and do nothing for free.
  • dispatcher 2012/06/11 16:57:12
    Outrageous
    dispatcher
    +3
    I took the family to Disney in Nov 2011 while the kids were out on Thanksgiving break & it was very costly, food & drinks will cost the average family of 4 , $40-$50 per meal depends on how hungry you are & what you eat. Although we did pre plan ahead for the expense there were NO bargains at all for Disney family pass for the day. What we did get a good deal on was our 2 day fun pass with Universal Studios & Islands of Adventures, kids had great time & they even have a meal deal well worth it for the kids especially if you have teenagers that like to eat !!

2014/12/23 00:57:52