Disney World Raises Prices, $100 Admissions Not Far Off: Outrageous or Understandable?

Business 2012/06/11 01:06:23
On Friday, Disney World raised its single-day ticket prices from $85 to $89. And if this trend keeps up, the $100 ticket will arrive in about two to three years! We love Disneyland as much as the next person. But laying down a Benjamin for a single day in a theme park! That seems outrageous to us.

Unfortunately, just a quick look at the numbers makes it clear that that’s where we’re heading. According to Beth Kassab of the Orlando Sentinel, over the past decade Disney has raised prices by an average of 6%, or about $3.90, each year. At that rate, we’ll reach the $100 ticket in 2014 or 2015.

Even if moving to three digit admissions prices makes financial sense, there’s no denying that the $100 ticket (like $4-per-gallon gas) requires crossing a big psychological milestone.

"The moment you get to three digits, it has an emotional impact," says Eli Portnoy, CEO of CultureRanch. "It's a barrier no one wants to cross, and Disney is going to have to be careful about crossing it."

Disney does have to be careful. But the fact that theme park attendance continues to rise even during tough economic times (3% last year according to the LA Times) means that further prices hikes are inevitable.

So SodaHeads, what do you think about Disney admissions prices approaching $100? Outrageous or understandable?

Read More: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os...

• Couri 2012/06/11 02:32:36
    Understandable
    Couri
    +12
    When you consider the size of the park, the cleanliness, the attitude of the employees, the standards, and the sheer number of rides/attractions/characters/... and then consider they literally have something for every age that walks through the gate, it all boils down to getting what you pay for.

If you don't want to pay the admission, don't go. It's that simple.

• Couri heirsof... 2012/06/13 15:11:08
    Couri
    Back in 1980 you could also buy a gallon of gas for $1.25.

If a trip to Disney is as miserable as you make it out to be their wouldn't be a price of admission because they would be closed by now. Yet people people go for days or even weeks at a time year after year. I went just last year in the middle of June and the longest I waited in line was 30 minutes and that was for one of their newer attractions. On average I spent no more than 10 minutes in any line at any given time. You just have to know how to plan your day.
  • FordCrews Couri 2012/06/11 18:28:14
    FordCrews
    The problem now is that almost $100 doesn't get you in to all the parks, it's one park only, you pay extra to add the park hopper option, and 90% of the parks have hardly changed since they opened.
  • Couri FordCrews 2012/06/13 15:24:50
    Couri
    You're right, that is a downside but the Park Hopper option adds just $25 to the total price of a daily ticket which most people say is well worth it.

They have changed, it's just small changes every so often instead of a total face lift. Some attractions have been done away with and replaced with newer ones, upgrades are made here and there, and additions have been made. They just do these things in such a way that very few people notice them until they're done.
  • FordCrews Couri 2012/06/14 15:28:02
    FordCrews
    On our 7 day for the 8 of us, it was almost 600 more to add park hopper, which we only wanted for a day or 2 of the 7, mostly to get to see fantastics that they canceled 3 of the 7 days were were there. They won't even let you buy a 10 day pass and burn 2 days visiting a 2nd park on the same day. At the very least, they should let you renter a park on another day, if the day you are there one of the major parades/light shows is canceled for the day. We ended up skipping Animal Kingdom all together because we went back for a 3rd day to hollywood studios for a 3rd time in a failed attempt to catch fantastics.
  • DougE Couri 2012/06/11 21:56:03
    DougE
    so by your logic, just cause they keep expanding the park it's ok to charge more? That's the same thing as a pro team moving stadiums and getting a bond passed for the public to pay for it.
  • Couri DougE 2012/06/13 15:15:31
    Couri
    Oh did I say that it was solely for park expansion? I'm sorry I thought I listed several more reasons than that. Oh wait, I did.
  • Tara 2012/06/11 02:20:42
    Understandable
    Tara
    +1
    For a day at Disney...still worth it!
  • nofrills Tara 2012/06/11 03:58:07
    nofrills
    +1
    no thanks..lv the Rain Forest, Maui,Keywest and BVI
  • Tara nofrills 2012/06/11 20:36:22
    Tara
    I've only been to (from your list) Maui and the British Virgin Islands and yes they are both probably at the top of the list of most beautiful places. But most fun in my opinion is Disney. :)
  • nofrills Tara 2012/06/11 22:03:55
    nofrills
    too much of noise,confusion,and overpriced food...plus too fake ..so enjoy it..
  • jeepster4 2012/06/11 02:17:22
    Understandable
    jeepster4
    +4
    Disney is only following the basic tenets of capitalism. Obviously, if Disney World was filled to capacity at the old price, they should raise the price and/or increase capacity of the park. Having been there and seeing the huge crowds that exist and the utilization of available space, they have taken a reasonable course of action.
  • Torchy 2012/06/11 02:15:12 (edited)
    Understandable
    Torchy
    +5
    Having been, I understand. You don't have to pay for rides or shows or anything like that; and they aren't crappy rides either. If you go to many a state fair, they make you pay out the nose for every little thing and most of it is crap. Someone recently estimated a day at the Minnesota State Fair costing about $110-$120 -- and they only went on two rides. Disneyland/World gets it out at admission. Here's your pass, go have fun on whatever you want. And really, Disney is a once in a while occurrence; I live near to Disneyland and I can't see myself going more than once every two or three years. Maybe less. So I really fail to see the big deal. Save up for it like you would any other trip.
  • heirsof... Torchy 2012/06/11 12:48:30 (edited)
    heirsoftheking
    +1
    I've lived in Central Florida for 32 years. I've been to Disney World about a dozen times. The last time we went, we got through the gate at about 8:20 AM. We got on any rides we we wanted to ride at will, with no lines at all, and we rode our favorite rides as often as we wanted. By 11:00 AM the park was really filling up with people, with thousands still coming in, and that was when the waiting lines to ride on the rides started to get long. By 1:00 PM, forget it - many waiting lines on some of the favorite rides (like the Winnie the Pooh ride) were nearly 2 hours long.

Seriously, to all of you tourists out there, if you're vacationing in Central Florida and you want to take a trip to Disney World, get up very early in the dark hours of the morning, and enter Disney's gates when they open at 8:00 AM. Otherwise, you'll get tired, miserable, and sweaty standing in terribly long lines, for many cumulative hours, being able to ride only 5 rides for a cumulative total of 20 minutes, after spending 89 bucks a head to get in, not to mention parking and meal expenses.
  • angel face 2012/06/11 02:12:51
    Understandable
    angel face
    +2
    Obviously people are still going so I find it completely understandable. If people want to go then the price isnt as serious as some make it out to be
  • heirsof... angel face 2012/06/11 12:55:47
    heirsoftheking
    +1
    You're better off going to the beach for free.
  • angel face heirsof... 2012/06/11 18:29:05
    angel face
    But Disney World offers more
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/06/11 02:09:29
    Outrageous
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +3
    Too much for a family to put out for a day trip.
  • Tara Kat ♪ ~... 2012/06/11 02:24:43 (edited)
    Tara
    +2
    To most families, or at least mine, Disney is more than just a day trip. I can only go once every 8 years.
  • Kat ♪ ~... Tara 2012/06/11 02:27:07
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    I've never been, not a fan, but I mean that they would only be at the park 1 day and pay a lot of money on that day trip.
  • Tara Kat ♪ ~... 2012/06/11 02:31:04 (edited)
    Tara
    +1
    Oh yeah that's true. I was thinking altogether as a week vacation. If you plan it years ahead $100 a day isn't so much.
  • mightym... Tara 2012/06/11 05:51:59
    mightymouse49
    Disney World is the ICON. It's the once in a family vacation experience. One hundred dollars in today's economy is like 20 dollars 30 years ago. Couldn't afford it then...can't affort it now.
  • angel face Kat ♪ ~... 2012/06/11 18:30:54
    angel face
    +1
    No one, hopefully, goes to Disney World just to stay for one day. Thats a waste of gas. If anyone goes it usually last for a few days or a week
  • Kigan 2012/06/11 02:03:35
    Outrageous
    Kigan
    +1
    People will keep paying it, and they will keep doing it.

Unfortunately it seems I will not be going back.
  • LucidLoon 2012/06/11 02:02:50
    Outrageous
    LucidLoon
    +1
    But my family could never afford a trip there anyway. I did get to perform there with the school marching band once, though. That was something.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/06/11 01:59:24
    Outrageous
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +3
    Screw that, I'll take my kids to Chattanooga, TN.
  • rebeccasrevenge 2012/06/11 01:57:27
    Outrageous
    rebeccasrevenge
    +6
    That's highway robbery ! Disneyland isn't worth it,what with having to stand in line for over an hour to get on a ride that lasts for 2 minutes and spending 10 bucks for a burger and 30 for a tshirt and then spending hours trying to find where you parked.I say SCREW it! I would encourage the public to boycott Disneyland for the sheer greediness of it. Go to your county fairs,local zoos,museums,camp grounds, parks if you want to take the kids somewhere,they'll be just as entertained and satisfied and you won't have to take out a second mortgage .
  • rebecca... rebecca... 2012/06/11 02:03:12
    rebeccasrevenge
    +2
    P.S - I didn't really spend 30 on the t-shirt - I stole it! Perhaps that's why Disneyland had to raise it's prices - extra security
  • rebecca... rebecca... 2012/06/11 02:04:39
    rebeccasrevenge
    +3
    Oh God! It's all my fault!
  • S.E.L. 2012/06/11 01:57:22
    Outrageous
    S.E.L.
    +2
    I haven't been to Disney since 2003
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/06/11 01:52:35
    Understandable
    Kaleokualoha
    +3
    To subsidize losers like "John Carter," Disney needs to get more milk from their cash cows.
  • bmxschoolbus 2012/06/11 01:47:13 (edited)
    Outrageous
    bmxschoolbus
    +2
    some ski resorts are just as bad with there $85 lift tickets and That's for 8hrs of fun were at disney you get more time
  • Anarchico Anthony 2012/06/11 01:44:33
    Outrageous
    Anarchico Anthony
    +7
    They make more than enough money already
  • Osaka 2012/06/11 01:36:23
    Outrageous
    Osaka
    +2
    Strange how the Tulsa State Fair is just about as expensive. Disney own the vendors while TSF has vendors paying to vend.
  • betz 2012/06/11 01:32:04
    Outrageous
    betz
    +3
    Quite honestly I can not abide amusement/theme parks. To me they are nothing but a rip off and full of filth. It really has no affect on me however as I will never go back to the place again. For families it does seem a bit steep.
  • hasher betz 2012/06/12 00:37:24
    hasher
    +2
    cant judge all parks by disney. i have been getting a season pass at cedar point for years, and its very reasonable. 150 for a platinum pass which includes free parking, early admission, admission to all the other parks cedar fair owns i go 3 times and it pays for itself. of course we go moreoften than that. and they have way better rides than disney.
  • betz hasher 2012/06/12 00:40:15
    betz
    I live in a suburb of Toledo and have gone to Cedar Point maybe twice. I am just not a fan of amusement parks darlene. I'm glad you enjoy it.
  • Michelle 2012/06/11 01:31:03
    Outrageous
    Michelle
    +3
    They can charge whatever they would like to but it doesn't mean that I will be attending any longer.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/06/11 01:25:51
    Outrageous
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +4
    Disney has a right to make a profit but we'd be hard pressed to explain why.

ABC, wholly-owned by Disney, also produced and distributed a truly anti-family, anti-Christian TV series called "Good Christian Bitches" (now shortened to GCB due to the backlash) and is wholly in the tank for President Doofus Golfsalot who views capitalism as a complete turn off and chief blame for the world as it stands today.

There are dichotomies in the liberal world that just cannot be explained by any simple means but this book certainly is a good start ...........

united in hate
  • johnnyg CUDDLY ... 2012/06/11 04:02:18
    johnnyg
    +1
    I think GCB was cancelled after like 2 or 3 episodes!!
  • CUDDLY ... johnnyg 2012/06/11 05:25:04

2014/10/01 18:47:33