Did Obama invent his own legend?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/18 13:39:55

Watching President Obama flop around like a fish out of water, careening from gaffe to desperation to dishonesty, I find myself searching for ways to put his troubling behavior into historic perspective.

Is this The Unmaking of a President? Or is it The Unmasking? Perhaps we are witnessing an American Tragedy. Or maybe we’re seeing final proof his election was The Great Mistake.

All those fit the facts, and lead to a shared conclusion. So far, the 2012 election has almost nothing to do with Mitt Romney. Even the GOP doesn’t love its choice, but the race is a dead heat because Obama is so disappointing.

His fall from grace does more than merely confirm the conventional wisdom that elections are a referendum on the incumbent. Notwithstanding White House efforts to make the race about something or someone else, Obama remains the straw that stirs the drink.

But what a strange straw he is. Far stranger than we knew.

The man who campaigned against the “torture” of war prisoners boasts of killing suspects while taking no prisoners. He called rising debts “un-American” before setting a new record for borrowing. He railed against the imperial presidency before stretching it beyond recognition. The former law-school instructor tried to bully the Supreme Court.

Just who is Barack Obama? The question lingers like an itch that can’t be scratched.

A partial answer, the flattering part, was provided by his history-making 2008 victory. But his failure to unite the country and lack of interest in the actual work of governing provide an alternative view. More recently, with the world spinning out of control and the economy stuck in slow speed, he looks dangerously reckless.

And now comes more unsettling information, thanks to a new biography by David Maraniss, a Washington Post writer and editor.

Earlier excerpts of “Barack Obama, The Story,” made headlines, with one showing Obama as a total pothead and another revealing that a key scene in one of Obama’s own books involved a composite character.

That was just the start. An early review of the full book suggests it will shatter much of what we thought we knew about him. It seems Obama’s memoir, “Dreams From My Father,” is chock full of characters he created to fit his narrative. Not once or twice, but virtually every time he wanted to explain breakthroughs in his celebrated search for identity.

“Throughout ‘Dreams,’ the moments that Obama has invented are precisely the occasions of his epiphanies — precisely those periodic aha! moments that carry the book,” Andrew Ferguson writes in his Weekly Standard review. “Obama wasn’t just inventing himself; he was inventing himself inventing himself.”

Without the fabrication, “not much is left,” Ferguson says. Obama’s memoir thus turns out to be a hologram of his life instead of the real thing.

Not incidentally, character invention is a trick Obama still uses. The straw men opponents he sets up in virtually every speech are the political equivalent of the technique he used in “Dreams.”

In both cases, we end up with fictional stand-ins for Obama and others. You have to wonder if he even knows the difference anymore between truth and fiction.

Still, his trick has worked political magic because, Ferguson writes, Obama “did in effect what so many of us have done with him. He created a fable about an Obama far bigger and more consequential than the unremarkable man at its center. He joins us, haters and idolaters . . . looking this way and that, desperately trying to see what isn’t there.”

The book confirms again that the mainstream media failed miserably to vet Obama four years ago. But here we are, and now what?

In a speech last week, Obama was in straw-man/fiction mode in trying to shift the focus from his record. Voters have a choice, he declared, between “two fundamentally different views of which direction America should take.”

Leaving aside the snide reviews — a rehash, too long, too lecturing — the speech fell short in a basic way. In outlining this “choice,” Obama neglected the first question voters face.

Who is Barack Obama?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/invents_own_legend_R8P1Yi1...

Obama's grandfather tortured by the British? A fantasy (like most of the President’s own memoir)
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161817/Obamas-grandf...

Other Thoughts!
    +19
    In too many ways .. it was "INVENTED" for him ..
    (he just doesn't have the 'imagination' necessary to write the script for the fiction)

• COCO Chi~Cat 2012/06/19 07:50:56
  • Chi~Cat COCO 2012/06/19 12:41:17
    Chi~Cat
    +1
    hey, COCO, tx! ; )
  • dvd 2012/06/18 18:44:30
  • fisherman 2012/06/18 18:11:30
    I loved this article because.....
    fisherman
    +9
    the legend that is obama ( our dear leader ) was hammered together in a south side chop shop and sold to the gullible .
    makeing of obama
  • Headhunter 13 2012/06/18 18:09:07
    I loved this article because.....
    Headhunter 13
    +7
    It is basically what I have been saying about him since 2004 when he spoke at the DNC
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/06/18 18:00:47
    I loved this article because.....
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +13
    We know the obama is a work of Fiction. obama manchurian
  • Apache 2012/06/18 17:59:39
  • Apache Apache 2012/06/18 18:03:05
  • Always Right 2012/06/18 17:40:34
    I loved this article because.....
    Always Right
    +9
    Key questions about who 0bama is and isn't, a fairy tale with a tragic ending of the American dream!
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/06/18 17:31:14
    I loved this article because.....
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +10
    I think the 0 is getting bored playing the Obama.
  • exhon2009 2012/06/18 17:06:50
    Other Thoughts!
    exhon2009
    +7
    Back in the good old Choom Gang era when things got really ugly he could just go out with the buds and do some roof hits to make it all feel better. If you happen to see the presidential limo with smoke so dense you can't see in or out you'll know what's up.
  • apacheh... exhon2009 2012/06/18 21:11:04
  • mwg0735 2012/06/18 16:40:56 (edited)
  • "Shoote... mwg0735 2012/06/18 21:13:12
  • COCO "Shoote... 2012/06/19 07:52:38
  • "Shoote... COCO 2012/06/19 19:07:02
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    Yo sabia que te iba a gustar, jejejeje...
  • Doc 2012/06/18 16:34:56
    I loved this article because.....
    Doc
    +10
    It's shows what a fearful man the president is.

He admitted he lied in his own autobiography.
  • Walt 2012/06/18 16:19:24
    I loved this article because.....
    Walt
    +12
    I really enjoyed this article because it highlights the big problem with 0bama. Nobody knows who 0bama is - apparently not even 0bama.
  • Kat ♪ ~... Walt 2012/06/18 16:33:10
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +8
    Well after the first 100,000,000 lies who could remember # 1?
  • "Shooter" E-7 ™ 2012/06/18 16:01:34 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    +12
    LOLS

WHAT AN IDIOT!!
  • Chi~Cat "Shoote... 2012/06/18 20:13:48
    Chi~Cat
    +5
    Yes, and IT is on record saying IT hates ice cream~ What a tart! ; ) lmao!

obama tart
  • "Shoote... Chi~Cat 2012/06/18 21:11:26
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    +3
    Indeed my dear friend. LOLS!!!
  • gldynmd... "Shoote... 2012/06/18 23:47:02
  • COCO "Shoote... 2012/06/19 07:46:28
  • MarinerFH 2012/06/18 15:57:36
  • rogerkatrina 2012/06/18 15:39:00
    I loved this article because.....
    rogerkatrina
    +11
    I loved this article because it tries to clarify the fact that Obama, in and of himself, is a lie.
  • Brat 2012/06/18 15:29:27
    Other Thoughts!
    Brat
    +12
    Obama is a legend in his own mind.
  • Mark P. 2012/06/18 15:20:53 (edited)
    I loved this article because.....
    Mark P.
    +10
    Most of us new he was a liar from day one. We knew he was basically full of sh*&. That none of his book was real. Where are all his former class mates?
  • LadyBGood Mark P. 2012/06/18 22:58:45
    LadyBGood
    +2
    You just gave "them" an idea...they'll start hauling out "class mates" like they did with his former "girlfriends."
  • jasmine1 2012/06/18 15:13:22
    I loved this article because.....
    jasmine1
    +12
    This article shows what a scam artist Barry Monster is and how stupid the MSM is/was for not vetting him properly. We rely on our news people to vet and give us the facts so we can make decisions. We should not have to dig and do research to find out the truth about a candidate. MSM deserves a big fat "F" for their coverage of the POS in 2008 and now!
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/06/18 15:06:55
    I loved this article because.....
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +10
    We do not know Obama he is hiding his called rising debts “un-American” before setting a new record for borrowing. He railed against the imperial presidency before stretching it beyond recognition. The former law-school instructor tried to bully the Supreme Court.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/18 15:03:28
    I loved this article because.....
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +8
    IF Mr. Obama and his band of Marxists were alive in the days of our Forefathers they would most likely either be hanged or killed in a duel.
  • Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/18 14:47:20 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +10
    Obama's first biography: "Dreams From My Father" helped put him into the national spotlight.Now this book is exposed as a basically a mostly fictionalized creation about Obama's progression to enlightenment & self discovery.And by analyzing the construction of the paragraphs and wording,proved the book was actually wrote by the radical Bill Ayers.Now the main characters in the book are being proved to be composite characters and out-right fictional creations.I conclude this "biography" should be reclassified as a piece of fiction!
  • apachehellfire65 2012/06/18 14:32:56
    I loved this article because.....
    apachehellfire65
    +11
    i don't know if he created his own legend. but he did destroy his own legacy! obama s failed legacy
    I loved this article because.....
    +13
    It shows clearly that Obama did create his own legend, but couldn't live up to the hype. Haven't heard of any more fainting spells, for example. Did he set those up?
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/06/18 14:28:41
    I loved this article because.....
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +12
    Perhaps the most important line in the whole article: "You have to wonder if he even knows the difference anymore between truth and fiction." I have said for a long
    time now that 0bama lies with conviction so often that I wonder if he himself know the
    truth. I loved the article because it sums up the essence of 0bama very well............

"In a speech last week, Obama was in straw-man/fiction mode in trying to shift the focus from his record." He has used this technique so ofter, he doesn't know the truth of
    his own reality...................

strawman

strawman

strawman
  • Kane Fernau 2012/06/18 14:27:26
    Other Thoughts!
    Kane Fernau
    +13
    Just don't re-elect the bastard.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/18 14:26:33
    I loved this article because.....
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +10
    Obama is a self made man.....he made up his persona.
    I loved this article because.....
    +14
    Typical Narcissistic behavior - A LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND
  • Dwight PWCM 2012/06/18 14:18:21
    Other Thoughts!
    Dwight PWCM
    +9
    i can not be happy with this article because it indicates that too large a portion of the USA registered voters were dupped into supporting an image that never existed.

The beard of liberalism is gone along with the Imperors' clothes.

2014/09/16 00:56:59