Did Obama goon squad twist ford to pull add on TV

HOMBRE 2011/09/28 22:59:59
Did Obama goon squad threaten Ford with union problems if add on TV wasn't pulled?
A successful commercial being pulled. WHY?
Ford did this because they love Obama?

Remember the Ford ad that featured a new buyer telling “reporters” that he chose Ford because bailouts aren’t “what America is all about?” Hope you watched it while you could, because the video has been removed from YouTube, and the ad has been pulled by Ford, too. The Detroit News’ Daniel Howes reports that Ford pulled the ad after getting a call from the White House (via Is This Blog On):

“I was going to buy from a manufacturer that’s standing on their own: win, lose, or draw. That’s what America is about is taking the chance to succeed and understanding when you fail that you gotta’ pick yourself up and go back to work.”

That’s what some of America is about, evidently. Because Ford pulled the ad after individuals inside the White House questioned whether the copy was publicly denigrating the controversial bailout policy CEO Alan Mulally repeatedly supported in the dark days of late 2008, in early ’09 and again when the ad flap arose. And more.

With President Barack Obama tuning his re-election campaign amid dismal economic conditions and simmering antipathy toward his stimulus spending and associated bailouts, the Ford ad carried the makings of a political liability when Team Obama can least afford yet another one. Can’t have that.

The ad, pulled in response to White House questions (and, presumably, carping from rival GM), threatened to rekindle the negative (if accurate) association just when the president wants credit for their positive results (GM and Chrysler are moving forward, making money and selling vehicles) and to distance himself from any public downside of his decision.

In other words, where presidential politics and automotive marketing collide — clean, green, politically correct vehicles not included — the president wins and the automaker loses because the benefit of the battle isn’t worth the cost of waging it.Howes makes a good point about Ford’s track record on “bailouts,” which isn’t nearly as clean as the ad suggests. Ford sought and received “billions” in government loans to retool its plants, which is probably why Ford’s CEO was such a vocal advocate for bailing out his rivals. Had Ford not failed prior to the collapse and hired Mulally to rescue it, Howes writes, Ford might well have lined up at the trough for the big bailouts in 2008 and 2009.

Still, the fact that the White House exerted pressure on Ford to cease and desist is a rather ominous example of why we want government to stay out of the business of running auto companies at all. In fact, government shouldn’t be running any businesses, not car makers, banks, or mortgage lenders. A free market doesn’t stay free when government begins competing in it, and just the mere existence of the ability to use its regulatory power to favor its own operation will distort market behavior in significant and freedom-chilling ways. Knocking an ad critical of government policy off of television and the Internet is simply a more visible symptom of those dangers.

• tomas 2011/09/28 23:06:32
    Did Obama goon squad threaten Ford with union problems if add on TV wasn't pu...
    tomas
    +6
    Of course they did. The add showed an American wanting to be patriotic and made obama look like an idiot. This add would definitely hurt obama's re-election campaign so no more free speech until after the 2012 elections.

• Frank 2011/10/10 16:53:56
    Frank
    Obama uses liberal television as he sees fit, and to always promote his agenda, whatever that is........
  • TurtleShroom 2011/09/30 15:16:49
    TurtleShroom
    +1
    I saw that advertisement and shared it with my grandfather. We loved it.
  • Deb 2011/09/30 11:25:51 (edited)
    Deb
    I don't know, haven;t heard anything but saw this yesterday and funny it's on SH the following day, anyway I LIKED what the man said! :)

I own a Ford, a beautiful Mustang :D
  • Deb Deb 2011/09/30 11:26:25
    Deb
    so it doesn't show it here what the heck??
  • Katherine 2011/09/29 05:19:58
    Katherine
    +1
    Taxpayers took a loss on GM. And I'd buy Ford if I had any money, even WITH Obama giving away taxpayer money so people will buy his car.
    +1
    Of course--it was actually the union thugs that forced it because they are a power behind Obama.
  • S. Gompers 2011/09/29 04:07:42
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Because Ford is on the government dole as well. This is America, do not beleive in truth in advertising...

http://dailybail.com/home/ano...
  • zoey 2011/09/29 02:41:18
    zoey
    Loved the movie. Can you find another name?
  • Karen E 2011/09/29 02:38:25
    Karen E
    +3
    of course there was some kind of implied threat.
  • HOMBRE Karen E 2011/09/29 02:39:58
    HOMBRE
    +1
    You better believe it Karen. Everybody knows this is thug politics
  • HOMBRE HOMBRE 2011/09/29 02:43:06
    HOMBRE
    +1
    This commercial was the most successful they ever had and just pulling it makes no sense. They were bragging about how good it was a week ago. Obama probably had the unions ready to strike if they didn't
  • SharonJohnson 2011/09/29 00:24:02
    SharonJohnson
    +4
    Thin skinned idiot at it again. Anytime his feeling are hurt he pouts and has a tantrum. Boo Hoo Obama crybaby Obama crybaby
  • HOMBRE SharonJ... 2011/09/29 00:25:48
    HOMBRE
    +1
    I had my fill of the clown
  • MindaBrown HOMBRE 2011/09/29 00:48:59
    MindaBrown
    +3
    I think everyone should buy a Ford and to hell with General Motors, let them feel the pinch for awhile.
  • Tasine 2011/09/29 00:13:12
    Tasine
    +4
    It must have been a threat. Or perhaps a bribe?
  • HOMBRE Tasine 2011/09/29 00:16:23
    HOMBRE
    +2
    Tasine I bet it was a threat. Probably union problems. Obama in the bag with unions. You know what ever it was its was dirty
  • Tasine HOMBRE 2011/09/29 13:02:25
    Tasine
    Could be. There is nothing I will be surprised about when it comes to either Obama OR unions.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2011/09/28 23:37:27
    Rusty Shackleford
    +3
    He made them an off they couldn't refuse.

refuse
  • HOMBRE Rusty S... 2011/09/28 23:38:45 (edited)
    HOMBRE
    +2
    LOL. You know after the election the truth will come out on this
  • Larry 2011/09/28 23:14:35
    Larry
  • HOMBRE Larry 2011/09/28 23:18:01
    HOMBRE
    +1
    I thinking CEO of ford got a call right from Obama. I can see it now Ford acted badly they evil and are the new fat cats and need destroyed
  • MindaBrown HOMBRE 2011/09/29 00:50:42
    MindaBrown
    +2
    Don't think they can buffalo Ford like they do General Motors look where they are headed for. China
  • ..::localeye::.. 2011/09/28 23:08:06
    Ford did this because they love Obama?
    ..::localeye::..
    I think one more person needs to post this topic...there are only 5 or 6 right now.
  • HOMBRE ..::loc... 2011/09/28 23:09:40
    HOMBRE
    +1
    You sound a little sensitive
  • ..::loc... HOMBRE 2011/09/28 23:11:59 (edited)
    ..::localeye::..
    no...just bored seeing the same topic over and over. I already own a Ford.
  • HOMBRE ..::loc... 2011/09/28 23:14:13
    HOMBRE
    Good for you I like ford
  • tomas ..::loc... 2011/09/28 23:16:03
    tomas
    +2
    Agree. Would like to see it posted 100 times, or more.
  • HOMBRE tomas 2011/09/28 23:21:26
    HOMBRE
    +1
    lol I will be tossing it up
  • kir 2011/09/28 23:07:16
    kir
    +5
    Well, I have an idea. Let's download the commercial and post it ALL over the internet. Let's make it one of the most popular commercials ever. See how Obama likes that.
  • HOMBRE kir 2011/09/28 23:09:11
    HOMBRE
    +4
    I love the way you think.
  • kir HOMBRE 2011/09/28 23:13:59
    kir
    +1

Here's the video I think. While it's still up.
  • Deb HOMBRE 2011/09/30 11:23:44
    Deb
    Ditto on yout comment
  • tomas kir 2011/09/28 23:15:12
    tomas
    +3
    Great idea. Let's get this thing going so EVERYONE sees it.
  • SunShine kir 2011/09/29 05:46:48
    SunShine
    only problem about that is that it's probably covered by copywrite law..
  • kir SunShine 2011/09/29 08:37:48
    kir
    +1
    And Ford is going to really go after people for spreading the commercial around?
  • SunShine kir 2011/09/29 13:20:58
    SunShine
    depends what kind of conditions that the w.h. set down for them? that of course we know nothing about..
  • kir SunShine 2011/09/29 15:13:03 (edited)
    kir
    +1
    Of course, but the point of viral media is that it's unstoppable and generally only stored for a very short time. So I don't think anyone will be effected. Plus there is such a thing as fair use, which while complicated, the use in making a political point can often be considered fair use.

** Edit: If someone with more legal experience than me (almost none) can confirm or deny any of that, let me know ^^
  • tomas 2011/09/28 23:06:32
    tomas
    +6
  • HOMBRE tomas 2011/09/28 23:07:51
    HOMBRE
    +3
    The writing right on the wall. I suppose we will hear all sort of spin on this. Ya think?
  • tomas HOMBRE 2011/09/28 23:14:31
    tomas
    +2
    Yes, we will. Even saw a statement from Ford saying the add had already run it's course. What, in several days? Either threats of not being able to bid on government contracts to supply vehicles or promises of getting contracts was the carrot. And I am betting is was the promise of getting lucrative contracts, otherwise there would have been some push back from Ford.

2014/12/21 01:20:02