Did Michelle Obama Break Election Law?

Politics 2010/10/15 16:00:00
First Lady Michelle Obama might be a lawyer but should she know every law on the books? Well, maybe this one.

According to Illinois law, "No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place, within 100 feet of any polling place."

It's a common phrasing used in other states, and one that the first lady apparently broke.

According to Drudge Report, she cast an early ballot in Chicago. A few voters recognized her in the polling place and started talking to her. At least one of them said that she encouraged them to support the Democratic agenda.

Experts said that if she didn't say to vote for a particular candidate she probably didn't violate the law. But is that right?

Read More: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/10/14/first...

• StarrGazerr 2010/10/15 20:23:54 (edited)
    StarrGazerr
    +45
    Getting desperate over on the right, aren't you? THIS is the best you can come up with?

desperate

Not to mention that you apparently don't read your own articles - even from Fox the truth DOES seep through sometimes:

"according to a spokesman for the Chicago Board of Elections, Obama made no such statement.

Rather, the elections official said, Obama told the group how important it is to vote early and vote in general, a perfectly appropriate suggestion at a polling place. Campbell's characterization of the conversation may simply have included his political position, that he voted "to keep her husband's agenda going," but not that the first lady had specifically encouraged Campbell to support Obama-friendly candidates.

Even if one of the other voters had mentioned their support for President Obama and the first lady agreed, she would still not be in violation of election statutes because she would not, in that case, have initiated the political conversation. The Chicago Board of Elections has not, at this time, made an inquiry into the matter."

• MG-42 2011/03/31 16:01:19
    MG-42
    They don't care if they break the law! They are ACTIVISTS! Far-Left activists!
  • Kail 2011/01/18 07:48:04
    Kail
    Of course she broke the law. Everyone knew who she was and how she voted. She didnt have to say much to convince them.
  • Deni 2011/01/02 13:31:29
    Deni
    NO_OPe! I support OBAMA! WINK*
  • Deni Deni 2011/01/02 13:34:11
    Deni
    THUMBS UP! I Love our american of country as long once I support our president OBama and First lady ! CLAM DOWN! just be on their side he will do this for our best country! love american country support president obama lady clam country THUMB UP President OBama
  • T 2010/12/17 17:47:20
    T
    As long as she didn't start the conversation, she did not solicit votes or do any electioneering.
  • sandi 2010/11/24 03:14:40
    sandi
    it's just if anyone else did this, it would be wrong. So, when she did it......"it was wrong"
  • ogoma 2010/11/23 21:53:04
    ogoma
    of course she was trying to influence voters. She loves her new house and wants to stay several more years. Besides, she and Barry are above the law.
  • babyleo 2010/11/11 05:34:24
    babyleo
    im not a politician but i think she did
  • ablaisa 2010/11/10 19:24:38
    ablaisa
    she sure did not help just look how it went, OK for the other party
  • NUNYA BIZ 2010/11/09 09:01:28
  • KOFFEEKRAZED 2010/11/01 03:43:44
    KOFFEEKRAZED
    it appears she should have thought about this one. since almost every state has voting by mail, she should have done that rather than APPEAR to be doing anything untoward..
  • Alaskan Patriot 2010/10/27 01:00:33
    Alaskan Patriot
    +1
    i have no idea and there are too many discrepancies and retarded people posting under this subject. I got annoyed reading the posts.
    +1
    She's a fraud, liar, and cheat just like you know who.
  • leth 2010/10/26 05:25:11
    leth
    yes! of course she did..Michelle Obama...cant do that?wat u think?
  • Dodge Boy 2010/10/26 01:59:14
    Dodge Boy
    shoot I do this everytime I go, lat time during the primary we have to declare what party, and I said American Nazi PArty, I mean Republican........
  • garryl 2010/10/25 19:05:11
    garryl
    oh jeez, can you give up the attacks and jus bring it back?,,,
  • waynelaboy 2010/10/25 16:39:13
    waynelaboy
    +1
    can't call her 1st lady yet? damn get over it. ya'll did'nt protest bush and cheney this much, damn
  • hattah 2010/10/24 20:29:31
    hattah
    +1
    if the question had been "Do the Obama's use the right brand of toilet paper" 1108 people would have voted NO. That is what the Party of NO does best.
  • europa92103 2010/10/23 20:31:00
    europa92103
    +1
    Did anyone here talk to anyone else before or after they voted or while they were in line? I think this is harmless as she is a celebrity and naturally people will approach her
  • Al in St. Lou 2010/10/23 12:53:09
    Al in St. Lou
    No one is allowed to do any electioneering within any polling place. She was there and she was electioneering.
  • sara Al in S... 2010/10/29 23:01:05
    sara
    No she wasn't... she merely talked to people. I just voted today and I spoke with other people at the polls... she didn't endorse any one candidate. This is just silly.
  • Bob 2010/10/22 21:12:33
    Bob
    Would she do that !!!!..
  • .Bill C. 2010/10/22 20:33:57
    .Bill C.
    Join the discussion. Share your opinion with millions!
  • MISSY 2010/10/22 15:18:06
    MISSY
  • MISSY MISSY 2010/10/22 15:23:03
    MISSY
    +2
    I agree she did nothing wrong.We all are old enough to vote and vote as we see fit.Just to bad rep.can't let us have any say.That's why they block everything President Obama trys to get passed.They are just a bunch of WALL STREET LOVERS!! Which I am not nor I ever be They have done nothing but screwed me for the last 9 years.NO MORE of their CRAP PLEASE!!!!!
  • jean 2010/10/21 23:47:54
    jean
    +2
    I guess because I work the polls I see this as a special situation. She didn't have on buttons or items promoting a specific candidate. If she was not courteous to the voters I guess we would be having a different question being asked. I refuse to talk politics while working the polls but some don't share my view. As a highly recognizable and personable individual I believe she reponded appropriately. The voters engaged her in conversation as many others might because she is popular with lots of Americans and Chicagoans.
  • mysti 2010/10/21 22:27:46
    mysti
    +2
    THIS PROVES WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT HER AND HUBBY ALL ALONG. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT AMERICA OR OUR LAWS. THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT TO AND THE HELL WITH AMERICA AND IT'S PEOPLE. SHE (AND HUBBY) HAVE BOTH GIVEN UP THEIR LICENSES BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THERE IS ENOUGH EVIDENCE (PROOF) TO PROSECUTE THEM ON SOMETHING(?) OR THEY WOULD NEVER OR WOULD HAVE NOT HAD TO WILLINGLY GIVE THEM UP. I'M SURE THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF REASONS THAT COULD TAKE THEIR LICENSES VERY EASILY THEY HAVEBOTH PROVEN THAT THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW A LOT ABOUT LAW. I'VE NEVER BELIEVED THAT EITHER ONE HAD LEGAL LAW DEGREES. THEY PROBABLY BRIBED SOMEONE AND BOUGHT THEM. PROSECUTE HER AND HIM FOR ALL THE LAWS THAT THEY HAVE BROKEN TO GET IN THE POSITIONS THAT THEY ARE IN. CONNECTIONS WITH THE CHICAGO THUGS AND TERRORISTS IS ALL I NEED TO KNOW TO KNOW SHE HAS BROKEN MANY LAWS.
    GO AFTER HER (AND HUBBY).
  • .Bill C. mysti 2010/10/22 20:51:56
    .Bill C.
    +1
    I agree with you 100% Mysti. It's hard to believe these 2 idiots still have millions of people who believes in them. . He needs to be impeached promptly before he tears our Country apart completely.
  • Murph mysti 2010/10/23 16:52:01
    Murph
    Comrade First Lady Michelle Obama is not a lawyer. Her license to practice law was suspended in 1993 when the Illinois Bar Association told her to surrender her license, or face charges of malpractice.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Lies...

ARDC Individual Attorney Record of Public Registration and Public Disciplinary and Disability Information as of December 31, 2008 at 10:54:43 AM:

Full Licensed Name: Michelle Obama
    Full Former name(s): Michelle Lavaughn Robinson
    Date of Admission as Lawyer
    by Illinois Supreme Court: May 12, 1989
    Registered Business Address: Not available online
    Registered Business Phone: Not available online
    Illinois Registration Status: Voluntarily inactive and not authorized to practice law - Last Registered Year: 1993
    Malpractice Insurance:
    (Current as of date of registration; consult attorney for further information)
    No malpractice report required as attorney is on court ordered inactive status.

I do not understand how her license can be voluntarily inactive, and court ordered at the same time, but there it is. It must be something lawyers use instead of language.

Politboro Chairman Obama's license suspension is no secret. When he graduated from law school and applied for his license, he lied on the application. He said he had never done an...

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Lies...

Full Licensed Name: Michelle Obama
    Date of Admission as Lawyer
    by Illinois Supreme Court: May 12, 1989
    Malpractice Insurance:

Politboro Chairman Obama's license suspension is no secret. When he graduated from law school and applied for his license, he lied on the application. He said he had never done any illegal drugs, then admitted he had in one of his biographies. He also told them he had never lived under a different name, and he had been Barry Sotero until he turned 18 and changed it back to Barack Obama.
  • hattah Murph 2010/10/24 20:22:26
    hattah
    http://www.snopes.com/politic...

for goodness sake give it up!
    Lawyers can voluntarily inactivate their licenses. Anyone in any profession can decide not to practice it. Don't you have a spam filter in your email for silly things like this? Why on earth would you continue to take on court cases and run for Political office of any kind?

Good grief.
  • Murph hattah 2010/10/25 16:02:58
    Murph
    Except that his was suspended.
  • hattah Murph 2010/10/26 11:13:30
    hattah
    no.
  • Rosco Bonifitucci 2010/10/21 20:52:14
    Rosco Bonifitucci
    Of course she broke the law. She and the Marxist occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Ave believe that as Leftist Elitist, they are above the law and can selectively enforce it. Just ask the New Black Panther Party members who intimidated voters and Federal Election Law. Public Enemy #1 is Barack "The Marxist Liar" Obama and #2 is Eric "The Red" Holder. Let's indite them when these phonies are removed from office!
  • TroyJohn 2010/10/21 19:42:08
    TroyJohn
    +1
    what were the conversations about? If she was trying to sway votes then yes. However, if it were casual conversation (not about politics) then no.
  • PDenoli 2010/10/21 17:48:41
    PDenoli
    +2
    Of course she did. What should her fine be? $20? $200?

I think she should have to pay it off through community service. Or maybe be forced to dig sweet potatoes out of the WH garden in a really nice dress. She already did that? Okay, I guess I'm over it then.
  • MISSY PDenoli 2010/10/22 15:26:26
    MISSY
    You trying to make us laugh,didn't work!!
  • PDenoli MISSY 2010/10/22 18:24:16
    PDenoli
    Thanks for sharing.

Laugh or not, my point is that she was wrong but that it's nothing particularly damnable. I think that people tend to get too easily bent out of shape over relatively minor things.
  • Karen 2010/10/21 16:46:35
    Karen
    Very limited facts. If she said hi to someone, how are you, please be sure to vote, then fine. If she stood there and demanded they vote for her husband yes, but I would highly doubt she did that.

Secondly, for those who think she was disbarred, she was not. She voluntarily put her license into inactive status which then forces inactivity of malpractice insurance, ceu credits, etc. If she isn't going to practice, why keep it up with continuing ed, insurance costs and such.

Stupid people out there ready to jump on the littlest thing.
  • sherry 2010/10/21 00:52:09
    sherry
    +1
    YOU DON'T EXPECT ME TO SUPPORT MICHELLE, DO YOU?
  • MISSY sherry 2010/10/22 15:27:34
    MISSY
    +1
    Yes who else God help us all if your thinking sarah p would be better!!!!

2014/10/21 15:34:16