Did Anonymous Save American Democracy?

ProudProgressive 2012/11/17 16:54:09
Still wondering why every Republican got the election results so wrong? Could it be that they were counting on a repeat of 2004, when hacked voting machines flipped Ohio into George Bush's column and changed the result of the election? Does American have Anonymous to thank for the fact that we still have a democracy? We may never know for sure, but it's certainly a better explanation than "dozens of black people turning up to vote", isn't it?

If this is true, Anonymous deserves a medal.

Article excerpt follows:

Anonymous Saved The Election?
2012/11/17
By Nathaniel Downes

Through the website Wonkette today, the hacker collective Anonymous released a statement on the election, and the content of the statement is an eye opener:

Anon Rove Letter

http://www.velvetrevolution.us/images/Anon_Rove_Letter.pdf

While some might consider this a random letter, or a jump to claim responsibility, if you step back and study the letter carefully a very clear message comes out.

They cite specific numbers. They state precisely how many tunnels are there. They cite how many passwords were attempted. But, there are key words which look innocent but, to a computer engineer, are very much a trigger.

These phrases are:

We noticed these tunnels were strategically placed to allow for tunnel rats to race to the sewer servers from three different states.

Now, to a normal person a rat is just that: a furry animal or a slang term for a scoundrel. But to a computer person, a rat is something radically different, a r.a.t. hack. The Remote Administration Tool hack is a method of remotely accessing a machine as if it were local. Using such a hack, you would have full access to the machine, at a level someone physically at the machine may not have. A "sewer server" is a term used to denote a hack over a secured tunnel, known as a Secured SHell (SSH), using a form of encryption designed to make it appear to be innocent background traffic.

This is not some general discussion, making claims in order to claim. They have released clear and specific details on what exactly was done, information which the people behind Orca can verify. Even more telling, however, is the name the group used for their denial of service attack:

The Great Oz

"Oz" refers to the land in the classic movie, The Wizard of Oz; more currently, it refers to the television show Oz,which is about a prison. And the actions the group took was to attempt to hack the election into jail, locking it away. It broke, absolutely. We reported on the failures of Orca and its public face earlier. What Anonymous is claiming is that Orca's public face was a farce, a lie. It was not to coordinate poll challengers so much as to steal the election.

The little cherry on top, however, is the hint that Anonymous not only blocked the operation, but kept copies of the code and data from Orca and are planning on leaking it to wikilinks. If and when this happens, you know AI will be there.

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/11/17/anonymous-...

• Dave 2012/11/22 17:18:08
    Dave
    Anomymous and the Occupy Movement are the two things I'm hopeful about or at least will safe this country from corporate rule.

I hope that there is a trial, because I really want to see Karl Rove executed for his actions. There are only a few people that I'd like to see that happen to. Truly he is evil. Though I know nothing will happen.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/11/21 00:29:36
    Idiot repubs
    +2
    The beauty of this is that the votes information should have gone nowhere but to a tabulation table in each district. Any data sent to other states would have been done for no good reason other to screw with it. The fact Rove was so sure he was going to win Ohio was because he was going to rig the election. He should be in prison next to the wikileaks guy.
  • Steve 2012/11/18 00:39:31
    Steve
    +6
    It's interesting. The alleged plot would explain why Karl Rove was so flummoxed over the Ohio results. It would also explain some very peculiar betting odds on Intrade.com -- it was giving irrationally high odds for Romney despite polling numbers, analysis from Nate Silver, totally different odds at other sites, and even early returns. Some people with deep pockets were pretty darn sure Romey would win, but were surprised in the end.
  • COMALite J Steve 2012/11/20 23:18:43
    COMALite J
    +2
    If Rove is as smart as he thinks he is, long before Christmas he will be hiding, cowering, trembling, in some obscure flyspeck of a nation with no extradition treaties, but less in fear of our Justice Department than of the billionaires he took all that money from and failed to provide the desired results for.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/11/17 23:56:08
    Idiot repubs
    +3
    Won't it be funny to see Rove directly involved.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/11/17 23:35:50
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +5
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Anonymous was correct. The GOP has had operatives create malicious code programs to steal elections in the past.

I am certainly pleased with the outcome of the election. I got what I wanted & that is a rarity.
  • nerak611 2012/11/17 22:51:52
    nerak611
    +6
    Wow! I believe it! Something had to be going on to make 'new' voting machines switch to Romney when voting for Obama. That happened with a few machines. It would not surprise me at all. Also, the fact Romney and his 'gurus' were and still in shock about losing the election. It's like he knew he was supposed to win, and couldn't understand WHY he lost - of course anonymous knows why!
  • gimini210 2012/11/17 20:47:30
    gimini210
    Hmmm..... so why did the majority of the machines vote Obama instead of Romney when Romney was hit? Hmmm... got me.
  • kelli.h... gimini210 2012/11/18 00:31:43
    kelli.hall.186
    +5
    Really? Because there's YouTube videos taken by voters in key states of them hitting Obama and Romney being selected. Try again.
  • ProudPr... gimini210 2012/11/18 01:15:33
    ProudProgressive
    +3
    No voting machines switched votes from Romney to Obama. There was not a single documented instance of that happening anywhere in the United States. On the other hand, a number of voting machines were documented as switching votes from Obama to Romney.

• ProudPr... gimini210 2012/11/18 01:16:22
    ProudProgressive
    +2

• katywon 2012/11/17 19:07:52
    katywon
    +2
    Why are we beating a dead horse? President Obama won re-election. Now lets support him and his Congress and get something done about unemployment and health care and keeping The U.S. safe from Wars. Included is finding ways to keep small business owners in business and able to keep people employed.
  • Rebel 2012/11/17 17:58:06
    Rebel
    So you think a cyber criminal organization deserves a medal for hacking (illegally) and changing voting results (very illegal)? SO tell me again how you reward crime?
  • ProudPr... Rebel 2012/11/18 01:17:07
    ProudProgressive
    +3
    They didn't change voting results. Apparently they PREVENTED the changing of voting results.
  • Rebel ProudPr... 2012/11/18 01:55:46 (edited)
    Rebel
    Uh huh. If a rapist told you the missing child buried in his back yard had nothing to do with him....I bet you would just believe him with no questions huh? Yeah...no. I don't trust the allegations or sputterings of criminals.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/11/17 17:13:39
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +9
    ? Interesting read but I'll settle with Obama winning very smoothly the evening of Nov. 6th.
  • ProudPr... CAROLYN... 2012/11/17 17:23:25
    ProudProgressive
    +9
    It makes a lot of sense to me. Why else would Karl Rove have gone ballistic when the Ohio results came in? He was counting on repeating 2004. When he say the numbers he believed they were wrong because under his plan there's no way so many Democratic votes would ever have been counted.
  • CAROLYN... ProudPr... 2012/11/17 17:30:21
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +8
    Good point and funny as hell to see Rove squirm and look so ridiculous. If we ever find out this happened, Anonymous will be my hero! :)
  • Falcon ProudPr... 2012/11/17 17:57:49
    Falcon
    +3
    Kinda like when Bush went ballistic here in Austin at the Four Seasons when the exit polls showed the fact that he lost to Gore in Florida.
  • ProudPr... Falcon 2012/11/18 01:17:38
    ProudProgressive
    +4
    He did lose to Gore in Florida.
  • COMALite J ProudPr... 2012/11/20 23:20:53
    COMALite J
    +2
    Bush was never legitimately President of the United States. Not either time.
  • sjalan ProudPr... 2012/11/17 19:17:04
    +6
    Personally, I think the fix was in but somehow it just didn't happen and the Fix was caught before it even got to the starting gate. But I think we will NEVER know because the person responsible is at the bottom of a of a river or lake somewhere.
  • Max7 2012/11/17 17:04:27
    Max7
    +9
    You know God does bless America, and I think the outcome of the election had much to do with Divine Intervention.
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/11/17 17:03:57
    Roblem BN-0
    +2
    People hacking voting machines? Naw... that wasn't proven easily done years ago. (SI)
  • Keeping It Real 2012/11/17 16:59:53 (edited)
    Keeping It Real
    +11
    I don't know the answer to the question but I'm happy with the outcome of the election!
    congratulation to president obama in glitter congratulation to president obama in glitter congratulation to president obama in glitter congratulation to president obama in glitter congratulation to president obama in glitter congratulating clapping hands congratulations
  • Keeping... Keeping... 2012/11/17 17:23:31 (edited)

2014/04/19 19:49:59