Dershowitz: Anti-Chick-fil-A Mayors 'Showing Terrible Intolerance' : Agree?

Fef 2012/07/31 02:31:20
Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz told Newsmax.com that mayors who ban Chick-fil-A restaurants in their towns show great intolerance. Mayors Thomas Menino of Boston and Rahm Emanuel of Chicago vowed to stop new Chick-fil-A restaurants in their cities because of perceived anti-homosexual comments by Don Cathy.

Don Cathy, the president and COO of Chick-fil-A, said, "inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.'"

Alan Dershowitz defended Chick-fil-A's ability to open stores in cities regardless of Cathy's comments. “If you don’t like their principles, go to McDonald’s,” said Dershowitz. “I have no idea what McDonald’s principles are. I generally don’t select my chicken or my hamburgers based on the personal ideology of the person who is either flipping the hamburgers or making the money back at corporate headquarters."

NEWSMAX.COM reports:
Mayors who have told the owners of Chick-fil-A that the restaurant chain is not welcome in their cities are displaying “terrible intolerance,” Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz told Newsmax.TV in an exclusive interview.

Read More: http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/Dershowitz-chick...

• Farnsworth 2012/07/31 03:24:12
    Agree
    Farnsworth
    +11
    I very seldom agree with Dershowitz, but on this he's correct.

I 100% agree and gladly support Chick fil a

• P. Sturm 2012/09/15 07:04:29
    Disagree
    P. Sturm
    But I don't think a city can legally join a boycott either.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/08/01 18:09:28
    Agree
    Fashionable60s
    +1
    Even if we have the First Amendment right to voice our opinions, some factions of our society want to muzzle us by showing their intolerance. In the case of Chick-Fil-A's CEO's comments, it is some people perceptions that started this crazy anti-Chick-Fil-A ball rolling. It is not what he meant, he was just expressing his religious belief which he is entitled to say. I agree with Mr. Dershowitz and Mayor Bloomberg who also expressed the same opinion.
  • twhiting9275 2012/08/01 16:51:00
    Agree
    twhiting9275
    +1
    Thankfully, government can not ban a business for voicing an opinion. It's illegal
  • D Hanes 2012/08/01 04:45:35
    Agree
    D Hanes
    +1
    Thank you Alan.. I dona't always agree with you, but I sure do on this!
  • Jackie 2012/08/01 03:07:34
    Agree
    Jackie
    +2
    They can't stop Chick-fil-a from buiklding anywhere anyway. The Mayors values must be for murder and mayhem as their city's reek of it. The intolerance of the left knows no bounds. They are against religious people only. Today normal is bizarre, and Bizarre is the norm.

See ya at Chick-fil-a wednesday, Chick-fil-a appreciation day. Great chicken.
  • RogerRover 2012/07/31 20:00:38 (edited)
    Agree
    RogerRover
    +2
    'Showing terrible intolerance'....showing true colors...What's the diff??? Also breakin' some laws...much??
  • FanOreilly 2012/07/31 18:05:16
    Agree
    FanOreilly
    +3
    Not just intolerance, they are violating the 1st amendment to the U.S. constitution.

These are tyrants and they should be impeached.
  • frank 2012/07/31 17:45:34
    Agree
    frank
    +2
    At least Alan is in favor of freedom of speech, something that Thomas Menino of Boston and Rahm Emanuel of Chicago don't agree with.
  • w2xad 2012/07/31 15:45:40
    Agree
    w2xad
    +3
    There goes freedom of choice. Mayors now can force their views on business. Why is it okay if a business supports but one group and not the other. I guess equality got thrown out the window too.
  • Superman 2012/07/31 15:10:54
    Agree
    Superman
    +2
    The only people in support of the mayors in this situation are the true fascist leftists who have zero respect for Constitutional protections.

Whats funny is that they want to take the moral highground considering the cause they are fighting for, but they are willing to not just hypocritically abuse the Constitution when they should rise above but they do it out of base spite.

Even though I support gay marriage, people supporting this tactic lose all claim to moral highground.
  • Fredrick House 2012/07/31 14:17:12 (edited)
    Agree
    Fredrick House
    +2
    What aver happened to "free speech"? Is it only "liberal free speech"?
    Dumbass Dershosh...ts! Oh my, Dershowitz finally got his head out of his rectum long enough to recognize the truth, if but for only and instant!
  • heirsoftheking 2012/07/31 14:10:24 (edited)
    Agree
    heirsoftheking
    +3
    Intolerant.

Just to make the playing field level and even, I have no plans to visit Boston or Chicago either.
  • Fredric... heirsof... 2012/07/31 14:19:33
    Fredrick House
    +2
    Rahm says, "Chick Fil A values are not Chicago values. What are "Chicago values", Corruption and Cronyism???? Screw you Rahm!
  • Quietma... Fredric... 2012/07/31 18:31:11
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/31 14:01:45
    Agree
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +2
    It is their right to stand by their principles. It's funny to me that if you don't conform and go along with the rest of society they instantly reject you, but then turn around and preach tolerance.
  • American 2012/07/31 13:07:42
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2012/07/31 12:44:56
    Disagree
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    The Company spending millions of dollars to discriminate against Gay people are the intolerant ones. If you were a Christian you would know that.

chick fil a hate
  • Fredric... Che Gue... 2012/07/31 14:22:26
    Fredrick House
    +2
    If you were a Christian, you would not be posting crap like this! God hates the sin and loves the sinner. Why don't you take your stunning intellect to some Neo Nazi organization! Better yet Team OBAMA.
  • Che Gue... Fredric... 2012/07/31 14:23:53
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Need a tissue ? lol
    brown nose
  • Superman Fredric... 2012/07/31 15:03:52
    Superman
    +3
    Don't waste your time with that tool. He's a cowardly blocker and ideologically blind.
  • Quietma... Fredric... 2012/07/31 18:33:39
  • D Hanes Che Gue... 2012/08/01 04:48:10
    D Hanes
    You idiot.. noone is discriminating against gays.. He simply siad that it was not his way. He beleives that marriage is for a man and a woman, but he respects thier views. Jeez, grow a brain!
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/07/31 12:41:27
    Agree
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +3
    There are a lot of people and businesses rolling over right now to avoid being sued by homosexuals. If they are allowed to win we might as well all be ready to. They will be suing your church for not holding a ceremony there for them, florists, bakers, newspapers anyone with anything to do with weddings could be next.
  • Flamingolady 2012/07/31 12:38:29
    Agree
    Flamingolady
    +3
    Intolerance on both sides, I think. But mayors banning a business, that is dumb a** stupid. McDonalds supporting Chick Fil A
  • Che Gue... Flaming... 2012/07/31 12:46:21
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    People can choose the kind on business's they want in their community. It's called zoning.
  • Fredric... Che Gue... 2012/07/31 14:24:20
    Fredrick House
    +2
    But we can't chose how you speak! It's called the First Amendment and it applies to both liberals and conservatives, even if you don't think so!!!!!
  • Superman Fredric... 2012/07/31 15:06:31
    Superman
    +2
    Thats whats so funny about fascist lefties like Che.

If you have a problem with a liberal then just avoid the liberal and "change the channel" or "eat elsewhere" etc.

But if they have a problem with a conservative then by God lets take away all their Constitutional rights to punish their opinion.

People like Che are fascists, and people like him on this site show it because if you express a different point of view inevitably they'll block you as a means of shutting out points of view.
  • Fredric... Flaming... 2012/07/31 14:22:51
    Fredrick House
    +2
    Right on!
  • byz 2012/07/31 12:06:32
    Agree
    byz
    +3
    I love Dershowitz.
  • EDWARD G 2012/07/31 11:47:55
    Agree
    EDWARD G
    +4
    And I never thought I would agree with him on anything.
  • Kigan 2012/07/31 11:20:38
    Agree
    Kigan
    +1
    Perhaps. But then, Chick-Fil-A started the intolerance by trying to donate money to groups promoting discrimination without people knowing, and has made a mess of things since people found out.

So I wonder...is it really intolerance to be unwilling to allow intolerance in your locale?
  • All American 2012/07/31 11:12:22 (edited)
    Agree
    All American
    +1
    Ole Alan Douche Bag O'witz finally got something right. Good for him.

I'm just curious, why did Chic fil A make public its opinion on such an issue to begin with?
  • Quietma... All Ame... 2012/07/31 18:37:02
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    CNN Uses Chick-fil-A President's Quotes out of Context to Make it Appear he Condemned Gay Marriage
  • All Ame... Quietma... 2012/08/01 00:42:30
    All American
    +1
    Another example of the media creating a story rather than reporting it.
  • Quietma... All Ame... 2012/08/01 15:12:39
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    They got to keep the base all riled up so they'll vote!
  • All Ame... Quietma... 2012/08/01 15:16:46
    All American
    +1
    They're doing a good job of that and polarizing, too. I'm having lunch at Chic fil a today because of all this.
    Disagree
    +2
    Sorry, don't agree.
  • ComeOnNow 2012/07/31 10:29:33
    Agree
    ComeOnNow
    +3
    The true fascists are coming out in force to show that political speech and freedom of speech is dead, and the big government controlling everything you do it the way o life under the democrats. Tthe democrats are going to try to make up yet another "war on". Here Chic-fil-a, clearly a religious company thy is about the only one closed on Sunday, just says he supports traditional Marriage and the democrats are all up in arms, yet Obama entertains and kisses the rears of the Muslim Brotherhood that wants to stone them all to death, not to mention jews, adulters, women that drive, whitey, blacks, asians, hispancis, and pretty mich everyone, yet not a peep is said. Democrats are so inconsistent that they really are a puzzling bunch that really seems to stand for nothing of substance except Hand outs really.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/07/31 10:01:23
    Agree
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    Tolerence is a two way street. These looney liberal mayors are demanding more than tolerence THEY ARE DEMANDING THAT YOU ACCEPT HOMOSEXUALITY. Tolerence just means that I treat other people with dignity and respect. Acceptance means I openly endorse, approve of, and agree with someone's point of view to the point where all rational thought goes out the window and in some case even I become intolerent of anyone who doesn't accept my point of view. Eventually free speech and free thought become hate crimes and the inmates run amok while the good people get locked up. This is the danger and if a crazy ACLU dude (the most liberal of the liberal usually) sees it as well than these mayor must have went beyond even the liberal looney land into Facist Dictator of Liberalism land.
  • KingdomNow 2012/07/31 09:03:16
    Agree
    KingdomNow
    +3
    This is what is known as grandstanding by politicians. They lynch a private business over the opinion of its owner.

Let the free market decide, not conniving politicians pandering to tiny special interest groups.

2014/10/22 09:48:31