Dependency nation?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/08/10 18:44:21
Dependency, yea!
Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
Did you know that:
  • 107 million Americans were on welfare of some kind by the end of
    June of last year? That’s 11 percent more than two years before.
    “Welfare” doesn’t include Medicare or Social Security. At least people
    pay into those programs directly. (The government says that you
    pay in for your own benefit later. In fact, what you pay in, pays for
    benefits going out to those on it now. But that’s another story.)
  • In the last three months, more people applied for Social Security disability than found jobs at private businesses?
  • 43 percent of people who come in to this country are still on welfare 20 years later?
  • 49.5 percent of Americans pay no income taxes?
Dependency grows every year. And so does the national debt. Right now, we owe $211 trillion. More than half of that is unsecured—meaning: no collateral. If you replicated that with $100 bills, you'd have 30 stacks of pallets each as tall as the old WTC North Tower (antenna and all), with another, halfway-up tower alongside.

And if this goes on, you'll need a wheelbarrow of those bills just to buy a loaf of bread. And then that loaf of bread won't be available at any price. Because the whole thing will collapse.

So which is it to be? A dependency nation? Or back to a self-sufficiency and responsibility nation?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/08/10...

• Theresa 2012/08/10 19:16:29
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Theresa
    +9
    One way is slavery the other is freedom! I choose Freedom!

• Murph 65 2012/08/12 23:49:35
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Murph 65
    +2
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency. Help should come through church, synagogue, mosque, national charities, local charities, what have you. When you're face to face with someone giving you a helping hand, I think you feel some obligation to do well with the gift, not just wait for the next one. Your remark about the wheelbarrow and buying bread is right on the target. Have you seen the pictures from Germany after the WW!? Was friends with a few Germans who lived through that and their stories were hair-raising to say the least.
  • Tastentier 2012/08/12 16:58:33 (edited)
    Tastentier
    This is a false dichotomy, imho. I don't think it's an either / or situation.

We have one extreme here in Germany. Supermarket cashiers and other people on minimum wage earn barely more than welfare recipients. They might as well get themselves fired and join the endless line of lazy teenagers at the social office. Judging by the way they treat customers, some are trying to do just that.

Germany is often called a "service desert" for this reason. The customer is no longer king in a country where nobody really needs to work. Unless you patronize a small store where the owner himself stands behind the counter, the service is abysmal. To make things worse, it's nearly impossible for employers to fire slackers due to dismissal protection.

The USA is the other extreme. People are dying under bridges, which is simply inexcusable in a First World country. There has to be a sensible middle ground. An economic system that rewards hard work, gives every motivated person a real chance to get ahead in life, and still takes care of the undeservedly poor, the sick and the disabled.
  • Temlako... Tastentier 2012/08/13 01:33:24
    Dying under bridges? That's a lie. Show me the bridge under which anyone has died lately.

I'd say that the USA is becoming the service desert you describe Germany as.
  • Tastentier Temlako... 2012/08/13 02:24:34
    Tastentier
    Perhaps not literally under a bridge. Homeless people sleep in parks, at street corners, in cardboard boxes or subway stations, until the day they don't wake up anymore. And if someone loses his job in the USA, there is a good chance that he'll also lose his house or apartment and join the ranks of the homeless. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In Germany, on the other hand, the government pays the rent of welfare recipients. They might have to move into a smaller apartment, but otherwise all their needs are paid for. Instead of food stamps, they get a monthly payment into their bank account. They don't even have to pick up a welfare check. Young people who never managed to find a job after finishing school can even apply for "initial equipment", which means they get free furniture, a fridge, a stove and a washing mashine.

Like I said, it's the other extreme :\ Finish school, find an apartment, apply for welfare, get free furniture and household appliances, sit back and watch TV. Who needs a job? Every now and then, they'll be sent to a job interview -- even the job search is done by somebody else for them -- but they quickly learn how to avoid getting hired by making an abysmal first impression. If they want to afford some luxury items like a car and an iPad, they can always look for illicit jobs, buy and sell stuff on ebay, or sell homegrown pot.
    Don't let it come to that in the USA, but don't let people starve either.
  • Temlako... Tastentier 2012/08/13 02:40:44
    +1
    Yes, you are wrong. Thanks to Obama, a person who "loses his job" can draw unemployment indefinitely. Or as long as he stays in office. That's the Faustian bargain that so many people have struck with him.
  • sbtbill Temlako... 2012/08/13 08:14:50
    sbtbill
    Maybe you don't see them living under bridges and dying there but it happens in the southwest. Can't say I've actually seen someone die there but I've seen the paramedics cart them off. I've seen the cardboard houses. I've seen the Hoovervilles that still exist. I've been seeing them since the 80's.
  • John 2012/08/12 08:14:10 (edited)
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    John
    +1
    Its easier said than done. I have experienced times when I was looking for work, but I did not get it. I have some qualification, better said I am a specialist in some job. Thats so far fine, except you come to the point that this job becomes "exported" to far east or elsewhere. Then you have actually no longer a useful base for a well paid job.

Now there are always people believing that you can do something on your own. But that is actually not realistic: Many people have no drive (and will not have it, because it is not their nature) to be self employed. These people need someone telling them what next is required, and they do that perfect.

There is nothing wrong with that in itself.

But it goes wrong when the "leaders" decide to work only for themselves, and not mind anymore that they have to give something to the others.

Yes, thats even written in the bible. And, thinking further it gets clear, that the American system of "get rich how much you can and forget the other ones" works only temporary, until it stalls.

Thats why the Europeans have developed a system what allows a good live for the strong ones but also makes the weaker ones not useless. The strong ones give more than is US for the system (schools, health, support...), but at the same time are the weak ones...

Thats why the Europeans have developed a system what allows a good live for the strong ones but also makes the weaker ones not useless. The strong ones give more than is US for the system (schools, health, support...), but at the same time are the weak ones asked to their very best for themselves and the system. Everyone pays taxes.

This works only as long there is a chance for ALL to do some useful work. One half of the American individuals are looking only for getting rich while the other half has given up, the Britons are looking only for cheap and cheat (labour), and the Germans have exported their brain stuff to China where the well paid experts are now.

I see a worldwide loss of (good will) control and the will to keep something right.

To ALL: Let the good ones earn a bit more, and allow the weaker ones to participate with their best, and control the over-fat traders so they can only do what is good for the most on the entire planet. And I do NOT mean feed the war machine...

TMI and happy Sunday ...
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/08/12 06:13:06
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    I have no idea as to what to chose here. I can tell you that I am tired of being bleed to feed and cloth a bunch of people that feel they are entitled and think that I owe them something... I am tried of my hard earned money going to someone that paid no taxes in but still get a refund. I am tired of this whole socialistic system that makes slaves of people.
  • Arizona1950 2012/08/12 05:10:46
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Arizona1950
    +3
    Its the only way we can suvive as citizens of the United States and my vote will be my 1st step towards responsibility and self-sufficiency. No more following the status quo of dependency and big government under the guise of being taken care of.
  • wtf12345 2012/08/12 01:40:17
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    wtf12345
    +2
    The modern day plantation, Democrats giving out our tax dollars to keep everyone dependent on them.
    Why do you think the Parks ask you NOT to feed the animals? Because they will become dependent.
  • FairLady 2012/08/12 01:02:16
    Dependency, yea!
    FairLady
    +3
    Oy, I marked the wrong option. I think I misunderstood the question. gif smiley  sad
  • Temlako... FairLady 2012/08/12 01:03:57
    +2
    I know you well enough to accept that. That's happened to me more often than I can count.
  • FairLady Temlako... 2012/08/12 01:07:42 (edited)
    FairLady
    +2
    Thank you for forgiviing me, Temlakos. Wish I could undo it. :(( I wrote to SH in a past suggesting that we should be able to undo the poll. Nooo .. they have not moved a finger. Grrr.......
  • Arizona... FairLady 2012/08/12 05:03:43
    Arizona1950
    +2
    No worries ... we know you and where your heart is. :-)
  • FairLady Arizona... 2012/08/12 17:33:34
    FairLady
    +2
    Thank you Arizona. I know you know. :-)
  • Arizona... FairLady 2012/08/12 17:59:17
  • Tennessee3501 2012/08/11 21:31:16
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Tennessee3501
    +2
    Get a job or marry a rich woman!
  • FairLady Tenness... 2012/08/12 17:35:04
    FairLady
    +3
    Isn't it more comfy to many people to get welfare from BO and sit doing nothing? A ha...
    That is where this pres leads us to.
  • Hamilton Tenness... 2012/08/14 05:25:57
    Hamilton
    +2
    Kinda like John Kerry? LOL.
  • Tenness... Hamilton 2012/08/14 14:35:49
    Tennessee3501
    +2
    Good example! He certinly knows how to avoid poverty the easy way! LOL !
  • Prairie Wind 2012/08/11 20:35:22
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Prairie Wind
    +2
    No more spoonfeeding. Time to get out and create our jobs and earn respect of customers, world wide, of that we create ourselves without the intrusion of an invasive, parasitic Government. Start chopping needless jobs there and begin to enjoy our freedom once again.
  • Shelly Sue 2012/08/11 18:46:09
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Shelly Sue
    +2
    Food stamps and benefits should only be for those that are disabled or those in a temporary unexpected financial crises.
  • FairLady Shelly Sue 2012/08/12 17:37:07
    FairLady
    +1
    I learned that 1/3 of the American people )1/3!!) is eligible for welfare now.

What it means BO makes it easier for them to get dependent - he decreased the requirements and increased the eligibility. A typical socialist approach.
  • Shelly Sue FairLady 2012/08/12 17:58:32
    Shelly Sue
    He and his so called Dems are going after jobs and leaving people destitute with little option but to get welfare. That would in my opinion qualify for a temporary unexpected financial crises. Yes, this administration just loves to put people on assistance. It is part of their socialist plan to eventually harvest the rich. But the problem is, that all of the rich people combined will not be enough to cover or dept crises and it will fall on the middle class as well before long until everyone is in the same situation. Socialist/Communist.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/08/11 15:53:44
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/08/11 13:59:24
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +3
    Dependency = Weakness
  • toni 2012/08/11 13:14:53
    toni
    +1
    I looked at the link expecting they would tell me where they got their numbers Did somebody do a study? How many years did the study continue? How many subjects were in the study? Who did the study? Who paid for it. Who provided information? Without answers to those questions, I can only assume these numbers were made up.
  • Don Leuty 2012/08/11 11:01:29
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Don Leuty
    +6
    The failed policies of 0bama seem to be directly targeted at keeping unemployment high to create an army of dependents on the State. That is the road to serfdom, not independence.
  • jimmy Don Leuty 2012/08/11 12:43:29
    jimmy
    +2
    YEA ITS CALLED SOCIALISM
  • Don Leuty jimmy 2012/08/11 19:58:38
    Don Leuty
    +3
    This goes all the way to blatant communism.
  • jimmy Don Leuty 2012/08/12 12:57:21
    jimmy
    +1
    TOTALLY AGREE
  • vdehl 2012/08/11 09:26:02
    vdehl
    +2
    If one is allowed to be those things responsible and self sufficient one will be. I on the other hand spend most of my time fighting some sort of unbeatable sleep. For people who have this or other similar tragedies like addictions, it is better to have some sort of money they can stay alive with. I myself cannot wait to connect with my own social security paycheck. early retirement social security
  • Cliff 2012/08/11 08:31:53
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Cliff
    +3
    Ever growing dependency on government handouts is not sustainable. The cities and states are running into the reality of going bankrupt sooner than the federal government only because they cannot print more money. When the federal government wakes up to find it can no longer print money, it will be forced to deal with that reality.
  • mich52 2012/08/11 06:47:33
  • redhorse29 2012/08/11 06:42:07
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    redhorse29
    +3
    For those that need assistance they will get it. Each person should be accountable and responsible for making the life they have earned. Quit all this jealous bigotry.
  • cc 2012/08/11 04:28:29
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    cc
    +3
    Can we hang on to that quality?
  • Silvershadows 2012/08/11 03:59:37
    Responsibility and self-sufficiency.
    Silvershadows
    +3
    I've said it more than once-----I was there when LBJ pushed for the Great Society, said then, "Sounds great, who's going to pay for it." At one time people were too proud to take a handout or be on the government "dole." Preferred to work and become successful by themselves. Then, government decided the masses just weren't capable. Government had to 'help." The only way government can help is by taking the wealth from those who work and produce goods and needed services, give a small portion of it to those who lay around. Perhaps 10percent of those receiving entitlements really need and deserve them, that's fine. NOW, too many just lay around and figure out how to get the government to send them more. Now, the country is about to implode and those who don't know how or want to work will be out in the cold. When the entitlements stop it'll get messy.
  • sbtbill Silvers... 2012/08/11 06:17:43
    sbtbill
    +1
    OK so your saying a Walmart clerk - usually a middle aged woman- is just sitting around. Since Walmart tends to pay under the poverty level offers health insurance that is costly for the benefits they frequently need medicade. In fact that used to be the Walmart health insurance plan.

Now I know it controversial but is someone like the guy in the health care add who makes $15,000 as a janitor lazy. Doesn't sound like it to me. But he is probably able to and should get government benefits.

Why do you think these hard working people are lazy?
  • lisa sbtbill 2012/08/11 07:54:32
    lisa
    +1
    Actually if he's making 15,000 a year in Wisconsin he isn't entitled to benefits because he's not below poverty level. Not usre about the other states though. Its unfortunate but many (not all) that are on assistance know what they can and can't make in order to continue to recieve benefits and they will not jeapordize the assistance.
  • Shelly Sue sbtbill 2012/08/11 18:55:07 (edited)
    Shelly Sue
    They may need to get extra job to supplement their income as I did when needed. Or cut back on their expenses some. I bet they are living the same standards or even better than a working person who does not receive assistance. Cell phones, dish TV, nice car ect. . .. I have seen them pay with FS cards and walk to their luxury auto's. We have too much of that. It needs to stop.

2014/10/25 04:34:53