Democrats- Is there any thing you don't like about Obama ?

2012 Obama 2012/03/05 23:37:29
Now probably all Democrats have been accused at some time of worshiping President Obama as a God and I am here to set the record straight that I do not see him that way and while I think he is a good man he is just a man with all the normal failings of humanity.

I am a moderate with fiscal conservative leanings and I voted for Bush I and Bush II the first term but gave up on his policies in the second election and was disillusioned by conservative politics as I watched the wars and economic collapse unfold. I voted for Clinton and was disappointed by his philandering but encouraged by his economic plans and a vision for the country.

When Barack Obama came along I was ready for some serious change to the status-quo and he offered promises and a vision that were in line with my principles and values. I also admired his family values, obvious intelligence and the fact that he was a Black man and was willing to step in to the presidency knowing full well there would be a lot of backlash from racists in our country made me see he had courage.

President Obama stepped into the office under terrible circumstances beyond his control. two wars, an economic meltdown, abysmal health care and predictions by economists that another great recession was under way and would get worse.

I was resolved to at least 10 years of bad economic growth and long drawn out wars but President Obama surprised me. He took the bull by the horns and in the face of a lot of negativity and resistance he pushed through Health Care Reform, TARP, small business tax cuts, Vet benefits, extended unemployment, student loan deferral, and Auto manufacturer loans and these programs worked and are still working.

Now I am not under any illusion they were perfect and they could have been better but the fact is they worked and in under 3 years President Obama's plans turned around the recession which was declared officially ended and for 2 of those years we have had positive economic growth, millions of people now have insurance that were not covered, and unemployment is going down with many states below 6%.

Not only did President Obama's plans save the economy but his plans and the military plans ended the Iraq war, ended the reign of Bin Laden and most of his terrorist leaders, and has set a deadline for an Afghanistan pull out. He handled Libya very well not risking a single soldier on the ground and not one successful terrorist attack has happened on US soil.

There are also many social issues President addressed for gays in the military, women's right to health care contraception, and more student and education benefits for Veterans that will be needed as these soldiers come home.

So is there anything I do not like about Obama or his policies ?

I did not like that he backtracked and supported the Democrat Super PAC and I wish he would have stood on his principles which would have helped him more than any money they collect for advertising.

I did not like that he did not close Guantanamo but I understand the military wanted it and it would have made housing those detainees on US soil a bad proposition.

I do not like that he has not put forth a plan to deal with illegal immigration that encourages legal immigration while securing the borders.

I did not like that he maintained the Patriot Act that Bush pushed through but he did make it to only be enacted in war time or a declared national emergency and he said he would not detain anyone indefinitely under his administration.

I did not like that he went along with renewing the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy but I know he had to make a compromise and I think he will not make that mistake again.

So that is what I like and dislike about President Obama and when I weigh the positives against the negatives my choice is easy.

I will vote for President Obama in 2012!

• scbluesman13 2012/03/06 22:29:21
    scbluesman13
    +4
    There are plenty of things I do not like about Obama's policies, but they are dwarfed in comparison to the things I do like about his Presidency thus far. (And btw, I'm not a democrat, I'm a liberal independent, just for clarification. Most dems are too conservative for me).

1. he extended the portion of the patriot act law that allowed for warrantless wiretaps and surveillance of private companies (this was only about 20% of the actual law, the other 80% was already permanent).
    2. He stalled his push to close guantanamo bay.
    3. He caved on his negotiations to end the Bush-era tax cuts in 2010 at the end of the legislative session.
    4. He caved on the healthcare bill in 2009 and didn't fight hard enough for the public option, when that was the flagship item on the bill he campaigned on.
    5. He's left too many appointments open that a GOP controlled house has not confirmed, and the GOP in the Senate continue to filibuster. For every filibuster they exercised on a critical government post, Obama should have exercised his ability to recess appoint starting back in 2009.
    6. I did not approve of the drone bomb campaign he began in Libya. We should have worked with NATO in a support capacity from the start, rather than clandestine bombing to a congressional stopwatch. That made him look like a bit of a warmonger.
    7. We should have been out of Afghanistan by now.

• The Albertan 2012/03/08 01:57:05
    The Albertan
    +1
    i'm not a Democrat but i am a supporter of Canada's new democrats, and my problems with Obama are that he didn't deal with the economy first, also with the healthcare debate he didn't go far enough, single payer is really the only efficient way, and he is not socially libertarian enough.
  • 2012 Obama The Alb... 2012/03/08 02:10:52
    2012 Obama
    +1
    It was tough enough getting what he did get passed with the congress we have. Once people see the benefits they want more so his second term should be easier to get stuff done. I hope!
  • The Alb... 2012 Obama 2012/03/08 02:17:39
    The Albertan
    well. the thing is here in Canada our system was experimented with on the provincial level first and was only brought national when the citizens of the other provinces were screaming to get the same benefits as the people of Saskatchewan (at the time that was the only democratic socialist jurisdiction in north america) and the Liberals (who were in power with a minority government at the time) and the progressive conservatives suddenly took a 180 turn on their stance and supported the massively popular social program.
  • 2012 Obama The Alb... 2012/03/08 02:23:01
    2012 Obama
    +1
    Obamacare benefits won't fully kick in until 2014 but has already helped young people and people that were turned down with pre-existing conditions. When it starts helping more people they will see the benefit and it will be welcomed i think.

That is why the GOP is fighting so hard to repeal it before 2014 because they know once people get it it will never go away.
  • The Alb... 2012 Obama 2012/03/08 02:26:07
    The Albertan
    but then once people do really support it they'll probably just turn around and support it and say they've always really supported it just as the progressive conservatives in Canada have done.
  • 2012 Obama The Alb... 2012/03/08 02:40:08
    2012 Obama
    As long as they support it and it works they can take all the credit!
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2012/03/07 12:28:34
    Spizzzo BN-0
    I do not like that he embraced torture on Day One, never getting rid of it. However, I'm not a Democrat.
  • 2012 Obama Spizzzo... 2012/03/07 13:40:49
    2012 Obama
    +1
    Obama never embraced torture and water boarding was removed from the patriot act by Obama.
  • Spizzzo... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 13:46:09 (edited)
    Spizzzo BN-0
    He refused to get rid of rendition, and sought to protect it. Rendition is torture, in my book (kidnapping people, holding them incommunicado, and transferring them to other countries--in fear for their life all the while). He went after physical torture (and maybe psychological torture), but not all torture. This goes along with the other suppressions of rights he's done in the name of maintaining 'state secrets', etc. I'd hoped he would not just go along with the antiliberty things GWB did and try to extend them, but it appears he was seduced by power in this area.
  • 2012 Obama Spizzzo... 2012/03/07 13:51:10 (edited)
    2012 Obama
    +1
    He went along and that is unfortunate but he did say and signed a letter that no one would be detained indefinitely under his administration.

I agree that it should be ended but in a time of war and with military and GOP pressure he did what he could. When the wars are ended the patriot act is no longer in effect thanks to Obama.
  • Spizzzo... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 14:03:32
    Spizzzo BN-0
    I would agree that he is FAR, FAR better than any alternative on this; and I do think he did what he could (or at least what he thought he could) given GOP realities and limitations; yet I do wish he'd done better. It is still true that any of us could be snatched up off of the streets, knocked out, and wake up in another country for torturing (physically). No, I do not think Mr. Obama would ever do such a thing, but who may hold his office in the future; and what may they do?

AFAIK, Mr. Obama's memo only promoted the idea that they'd TRY to not rendition people to other physically torturing regimes. How is it possible to know that someone we rendition to another country will not be tortured? Why not just eliminate rendition altogether and have the guts to deal with people in our own country?

That's all I'm saying.
  • 2012 Obama Spizzzo... 2012/03/07 14:49:54
    2012 Obama
    +1
    I understand and I hope it will be changed!
  • Spizzzo... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 14:53:57
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Cool! I just kinda hate it when people say Mr. Obama opposes torture, when he doesn't. Of course it's incredibly tragic that America promotes torture now. In fact, it makes me sick.
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/03/07 04:16:33
    Mark In Irvine
    +2
    he looks pretty scrawny with his shirt off. he ought to try hitting the gym some ... otherwise, i'm good - that little bit of singing the Al Green tune when he had the musicians in to the White House was terrific!! IMHO!!!
  • 2012 Obama Mark In... 2012/03/07 04:20:06
    2012 Obama
    +2
    He plays some mean hoop I hear!
  • Mark In... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 04:24:12
    Mark In Irvine
    +2
    he's a hell of a lot better at it than i am too!!
  • Teri- Oregon 2012/03/07 02:23:46
    Teri- Oregon
    +1
    i voted for the lair in 2008, and he took me for a fool, he wont take me again! Ron Paul 2012
  • 2012 Obama Teri- O... 2012/03/07 02:25:50
    2012 Obama
    Well that is your choice but would seem to be a wasted vote!
  • Teri- O... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 02:46:35
    Teri- Oregon
    i wont be the only one sweetie
  • 2012 Obama Teri- O... 2012/03/07 03:03:25
    2012 Obama
    +1
    No there will be a few- now how many states has Ron Paul won and how many presidential elections has he lost ?
  • Teri- O... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 08:12:00
    Teri- Oregon
    if he looses it's because the American people love tyranny and want socialism
  • 2012 Obama Teri- O... 2012/03/07 13:41:40
    2012 Obama
    That statement makes absoultely no sense!
  • seattleman 2012/03/07 01:15:22
    seattleman
    +2
    I'm Indy, but I did vote for and support Obama in '08, so I'll answer. Yes, there is plenty that I take issue with. I have even been downright furious at this president. He IS a politician, after all. But, when you weigh the good and the bad, I think the scales tip to "good". When you consider the alternative(s), it is a simple choice, for me. I will be supporting President Obama's reelection campaign.
  • scbluesman13 2012/03/06 22:29:21
    scbluesman13
    +4

• 2012 Obama scblues... 2012/03/06 22:46:58
    2012 Obama
    +2
    I can accept your view. Will you be voting for him this year ?
  • scblues... 2012 Obama 2012/03/06 23:04:49
    scbluesman13
    +3
    Sure will. I think it took him about 2 years to get his footing, but his momentum for pushing good policy has finally gotten on better tracks, and I think we'll see more positive changes from his administration if he's elected for another term.
  • 2012 Obama scblues... 2012/03/06 23:14:56
    2012 Obama
    +2
    He did a lot in 3 years and I think his next 4 will show even more progress on some of the other issues- I hope!
  • scblues... 2012 Obama 2012/03/06 23:21:11 (edited)
    scbluesman13
    +2
    The thing to watch for right now are the Senate races. In particular Sen. Ben Nelson (D), Olympia Snowe (R), whos seats are being vacated, and the senate race in Massachussetts between Scott Brown and Liz Warren. Many of the establishment republicans know that Obama will win a second term, so they are instead focusing their dollars and their efforts on trying to win majorities in both houses of Congress, while maintaining as much republican control of the governorships as possible. So it is possible that even if Obama wins a second term (which is all but a forgone conclusion) we will have a political apparatus which will try and pull social policy still further to the right. Obama will have twice the fight on his hands, so he will need twice the game in order to deliver for the American People.
  • 2012 Obama scblues... 2012/03/06 23:29:37
    2012 Obama
    +2
    I see that happening but the Dems seem more prepared than in 2010 and have some good candidates picked for those seats. Lots of them women and this year looks to be good for women!
  • scblues... 2012 Obama 2012/03/06 23:31:50
    scbluesman13
    +2
    I agree. And this war on contraception the Right decided to hop on in the final stretch to the 2012 election was probably the worst political move they could have made. Not only is it further driving a splinter between moderate and extreme conservatives, but it's driving women GOP votes away as well. Anyway, I'll be watching the exit polling of the congressional races as carefully as I can. That will tell me more about the kind of second term Obama will have.
  • mwf122090 2012/03/06 21:29:01
    mwf122090
    +2
    I'm not happy that he's continued the Patriot Act, it's the worst piece of legislation to exist in my lifetime.

I also wish he would push a little more for LGBT rights, obviously there are more important things right now that affect many more people, but it's still VERY important to provide equal rights.
  • 2012 Obama mwf122090 2012/03/06 22:03:10
    2012 Obama
    +1
    If we were not in an active war he could probably get rid of it but he did make it only to be used in an active war or declared national emergency so it goes away when the wars are declared over.
  • Markie 2012/03/06 21:23:27
    Markie
    +1
    Way to smart for his own good. That is what I do not like
  • 2012 Obama Markie 2012/03/06 22:01:54
    2012 Obama
    +3
    Most people want a very intelligent president.
  • Markie 2012 Obama 2012/03/06 22:03:16
    Markie
    +2
    My attempt at humor, sadly.

I will stick to being the straight guy
  • 2012 Obama Markie 2012/03/06 22:48:03
    2012 Obama
    +2
    OH OK- I hear so much sarcasm from the RW that I thought it was more of that.

My bad!
  • Markie 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 12:37:18
    Markie
    +1
    No worry

Be well
  • Mark In... 2012 Obama 2012/03/07 04:26:00
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    i sure as hell do ... we tried a dumb buffoon and he clearly didn't work out too well ...
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/03/06 21:22:24
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    I disagree with him on many things. I'm not as bad as my Dad who calls President Obama "the third Bush administration."
  • 2012 Obama Narcole... 2012/03/06 22:04:37
    2012 Obama
    +1
    I think we all wish a President could do exactly what we want but in reality no one gets everything thye want and we have to take some bad with the good.

2014/09/22 10:19:53