Democrat withdraws from 1st District congressional race after allegations she voted in two states

jt 2012/09/11 14:26:07

Wendy Rosen, the Democratic challenger to Republican Rep. Andy Harris in the
1st Congressional District, withdrew from the race Monday amid allegations that
she voted in elections in both Maryland and Florida in 2006 and 2008.

It was unclear, however, whether she could remove her name from the ballot
with the election less than two months away. Under state law, a candidate has
until 70 days before an election to remove his or her name from the ballot. The
deadline for the Nov. 6 election passed on Aug. 28.

contd...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-wend...

A fwd article: -jt

• Elaine Magliacane 2012/09/11 14:42:04
    This is what U can expect from Democrats and liberals
    Elaine Magliacane
    +8
    It is ALSO A FEDERAL CRIME... her butt should be PROSECUTED for ELECTION FRAUD. I believe it is a 10 year JAIL sentence. Lots of 'SNOW' birds in Florida and SC vote absentee in their Northern home state, and go personally to the polls in their winter home states... TOTALLY against the law.
    obamaVote

• Edwin 2012/09/17 14:26:47
    Edwin
    What a terrible and biased question. If she did this, she obviously committed a crime and should not only drop out of the race but face criminal prosecution.

But what do the actions of one democrat say about the whole party? If you subscribe to that line of reasoning, you must accept that all republicans are secretly seek out gay prostitutes in public toilets -- because one of them did it a year or so ago (actually, more than one did, so clearly ALL republicans do).

This is a pathetic generalization, and it really just shows how unable we are to talk decently to each other as fellow citizens. To most of you reading this question, I am probably a liberal and a democrat -- and therefore, not a reasonable human being. I am worthy of insulting, but in your minds there is no value to trying to do anything else because I am too brainwashed to actually have real ideas.

If all we do is ridicule and attack each other, nothing gets done. It's not just conservatives bashing liberals -- both sides do it. I find the conservatives to be more eager to attack, but that might be because I feel their rage more often (because disagreeing with anyone on SodaHead usually brings on angry tirades). Most posters, right or left, are VERY willing to make up facts to support their case -- or a...

If all we do is ridicule and attack each other, nothing gets done. It's not just conservatives bashing liberals -- both sides do it. I find the conservatives to be more eager to attack, but that might be because I feel their rage more often (because disagreeing with anyone on SodaHead usually brings on angry tirades). Most posters, right or left, are VERY willing to make up facts to support their case -- or at least pass along something they read somewhere as fact (without having verified it at all). Some posters -- maybe most, I don't know -- no longer know which facts are actually true... so they have started to simply accept as truth things that already agree with their own opinions, and as false things that disagree.

Stop the rage, stop the attacks, stop the biased questions. At least give an "Other" option -- because I am not Undecided on this issue: if she did this, she really needs to go to jail (or whatever the punishment is for this crime).
  • Claybern 2012/09/13 21:50:04
    Claybern
    Two words: Voter Fraud.
  • Edwin Claybern 2012/09/17 14:27:33
    Edwin
    +1
    Yes it is.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/13 06:22:30
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    That is sad, but she fits right in with the rest of them. She would get along with Obama for sure.
  • Edwin ☆stillt... 2012/09/17 14:32:14
    Edwin
    +1
    Very sad that you don't read article. She was caught and turned in by other democrats, who were disgusted with the action.

It is also very interesting to me that NONE of the Voter ID laws the republicans have passed to protect against voter fraud would have done ANYTHING to protect in this case, because it was Absentee Ballot Voter Fraud.

Isn't it ironic that every republican law passed against voter fraud specifically ignores ANY sort of protection against absentee voter fraud, even though every study on the subject shows that 99.99% of all voter fraud is via absentee ballots?

Why is that, do you think? Is it because republicans are not smart enough to read reports, or is it because they understand that absentee ballots tend to skew republican -- and they have no desire to suppress voter turnout that helps their side, even if that is where the illegal activity occurs?
  • ☆stillt... Edwin 2012/09/17 17:10:53
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Some of what they want would take care of some of the voter fraud even in absentee voting but it would not take care every issue. In Calif you need to have a picture ID register to vote. From what I understand many states you do not need to have such ID. In fact Florida they were dragging people of the street to register and vote the same day. Now I think that they have put a stop to that now.
    Where did you find that statistic that 99.99 was absentee. I have not seen that before.
    I did skip the 3rd paragraph on the shortcut. Thank You for pointing that out.
  • Edwin ☆stillt... 2012/09/17 22:01:20
    Edwin
    I got the info on absentee voter fraud from a polling site (well, it predicts the elections based on state-wide polls). It is called electoral-vote.com. The site's creator is definitely partisan, but he strives to create an impartial site. I find his articles sometimes have a slight perception bias in them, but not much. The information was a little while back -- he has an index of previous articles and pages on the front page.

He got it from a political science professor who studies voter law in many different countries, including our own. Sadly, experts like him are rarely given any credibility by either side -- because they don't always agree with the political "truths" that side maintains.
  • ☆stillt... Edwin 2012/09/17 22:09:53
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    Thank You!
  • Edwin ☆stillt... 2012/09/20 06:18:35
    Edwin
    +1
    You're welcome :)
  • Todayisgoingtobegreat 2012/09/12 17:47:07
    I don't get it, it is a shame ...
    Todayisgoingtobegreat
    +1
    Busted
  • RJeffreySavlov 2012/09/12 01:56:01
    RJeffreySavlov
    +2
    Typical crooked lib.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/09/12 01:33:13
    Ozzyboy
    +1
    Anyone who has caller ID had better not be voting against voter ID. It would be hypocrisy
    to want to see who's calling you but not to want to know who is voting in the elections.
    Of course she will not be prosecuted, she's a democrat. Eric Holder anyone??
  • Edwin Ozzyboy 2012/09/17 14:34:24
    Edwin
    It's really sad that none of the voter ID laws proposed by republicans in the last few years would have addressed this absentee voter fraud -- even though every study has shown that the vast majority of voter fraud occurs in absentee ballots.

Why is that, do you think? Do republicans not read their own reports? Or do they just prefer not to adress absentee voter fraud because absentee ballots usually break for the GOP -- so they don't care about the fraud?
  • Ozzyboy Edwin 2012/09/17 19:30:18
    Ozzyboy
    It is a problem. Kind of like the votes that were "found" in the trunk of a car in the Franken election. Somehow all of those found votes were for the dems which pushed the vote to Franken. How about the bought votes in West Virginia? The voters just seem to be Frankened or Fluked all the time.
  • Edwin Ozzyboy 2012/09/17 22:08:12
    Edwin
    In Wisconsin, we had an election last year for Supreme Court justice. The challenger beat the incumbent by approximately 500 votes... until a clerk in a very republican district "found" 7500 new votes for the (republican) challenger -- about 48 hours after the election. Conveniently, the new total exceeded the automatic recount by about 200 votes -- so the challenger had to pay up or concede (which she did).

The worst part of the whole thing was that this clerk had actually done this once before to benefit a republican in state-wide office, and nobody had fired her. This time she did get fired, but there was no absolute proof of forged ballots.

I do not know about the cases you mention, but I am sure fraud occurs by both parties -- and it is wrong whoever does it.
  • Ozzyboy Edwin 2012/09/18 01:13:05
    Ozzyboy
    No doubt, corruption on both sides of the isle. It is the taxpayers who get hosed.
  • ed 2012/09/12 00:01:46
    ed
    +2
    NO WE DON'T NEED VOTER ID ,WE WANT EVERYONE TO VOTE IN EVERY STATE THEY CAN AND AS MANY TIMES AS THEY CAN. NO ID THEN DON T VOTE NO ID THEN DON T VOTE
  • Edwin ed 2012/09/17 14:35:15
    Edwin
    Voter ID laws would not have helped -- she voted absentee, and every voter ID law proposed by republicans so far has specifically exempted absentee ballots -- on purpose.
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/09/11 23:05:40
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +1
    It is what they do---Cheat !!!!!
  • Tennessee3501 2012/09/11 22:51:16
    Tennessee3501
    +2
    Democrats need to vote multiple times in order to win. They also need the support of people who have been dead for years and illegal aliens.
  • JustBeingAtPeace 2012/09/11 22:10:33
    JustBeingAtPeace
    +1
    So it is only th democratic side that does things wrong? Smh I find fault in all being as it goes "To err is human" hmm I am completely irratated by all partys to be honest. :-(
  • chaoski... JustBei... 2012/09/12 07:07:53
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    It's not just the Democrats but there have been ongoing scandals with the Democrats that have hurt them badly. In my state of Alabama, the elections in 2010 resulted in a Republican victory not because this is a Republican state as many of our candidates who were Republicans got slammed big time for their views by many across the state. The reason the won control over the state legislature is that the Democrats got caught in a huge gambling scandal where they were being paid millions by gambling interests paid million to Democrats to buy votes to help make gambling legal in this state. While Alabama is often seen as being part of the Bible Belt, this election saw many Alabamians vote against candidates running on campaigns where religion was a focus of the candidates election campaigns. This wasn't just Democrats though who got caught in the scandal, it was Liberal Democrats specifically and while candidates running on a religious platform suffered in the 2010 elections, most people in Alabama widely oppose gambling here (I'm not one of them).

Over the past few years under Obama's Presidency, the Democrats have been caught in one scandal after another in relation to election fraud and then there were the issues like the New Black Panthers outside voting booths where it wasn't w...

Over the past few years under Obama's Presidency, the Democrats have been caught in one scandal after another in relation to election fraud and then there were the issues like the New Black Panthers outside voting booths where it wasn't whites they were intimidating because these were black voting districts... it was black Americans they were intimidating to vote for Obama.

Things like this do take place in every political party, you are correct on that. But it seems like Republicans get caught on ethics issues where Democrats go after them on traditional lines of religious faith and integrity while Democrats get caught on multiple issues relating to voting fraud and crime.

It's more that since the advent of unions and their growing power in the US, Democrats have been the ones representing unions and unions unfortunately are often in bed with organized crime / gambling interests. If you wish to say so are Republicans, you'd be correct but to a far lesser degree. When you hear about a Republican caught in a child molestation case, it's untrue they do this more than Democrats but because they run on religious themes they get caught committing adultery, being addicted to porn and of course there are homosexual Republicans which most Republicans seem to oppose homosexuality to a much higher level than Democrats so that the sum total of sex related issues falls far more heavily on Republicans.

The old joke where Republicans are concerned is that Democrats attack them as liars and when Republicans try to retaliate, Democrats say "Hey, we're not the one's telling people we don't lie to get elected".
  • topcat128 2012/09/11 21:37:26
    topcat128
    +2
    And ,you wounder why the Left-wing, liberals Democrats are against Voter ID. More illegal votes mean more votes for them.
  • Edwin topcat128 2012/09/17 14:36:30
    Edwin
    Maybe because the voter ID laws SPECIFICALLY ignore absentee ballot fraud, which is what happened in this case... or did you not know that?
  • Hawkeye 2012/09/11 21:14:35
    Hawkeye
    +3
    ALMOST as interresting as the act of voter fraud itself is the fact that they didn't catch this for almost 4 years..

You can't CATCH voter fraud if you're not looking for it..
  • Edwin Hawkeye 2012/09/17 14:38:06
    Edwin
    Which is why absentee voter fraud is so prevalent, and why it is so strange that the GOP voter ID laws purposefully ignore absentee voter fraud and only concentrate on in-person fraud... even though the GOP-commissioned studies all show that absentee voter fraud is the VAST majority of voter fraud.

Why is that, do you think?
  • heirsoftheking 2012/09/11 21:03:20
    heirsoftheking
    +2
    Put her in jail where she belongs.
  • Edwin heirsof... 2012/09/17 14:38:58
    Edwin
    I didn't read the whole article, but I think she deserves a trial and stuff... but I agree. It should be a jailable offense -- and she can't really argue that it was an accident if it happened twice.
    +2
    I'd expect nothing less from them, vote early and vote often. No wonder they don't want voter ID because then they couldn't do what they want. If we had voter ID we'd have honest elections which is something I think every patriotic American wants..
  • Edwin none 2012/09/17 14:39:55
    Edwin
    Sadly, none of the voter ID laws would have applied -- because the voter ID laws only apply to in-person voting. It is strange that the GOP would ignore absentee voter fraud and specifically exempt it from voter ID laws, isn't it?
  • none Edwin 2012/09/17 18:18:17
    I had no idea that wasn't part of it, I'd think that when you got your absentee ballot you'd have to prove who you are. I'm still in favor of voter ID since most of the voting is done in person and I also think that absentee voting should be included since you've made me aware of the omission.
  • Edwin none 2012/09/17 22:14:43
    Edwin
    I voted absentee this summer, and when I took out my ID they said they didn't need it. All they wanted was my name and my word that I was eligible to vote. I did have to sign for it, so if I tried to vote at my precinct, too, I probably would have been caught. I was shocked at how easy it was and how few checks there were.

I oppose the voter ID laws for (general) in-person voting, but I cannot imagine why a person who asks to change how they vote -- whether registering for the first time or getting an absentee ballot or whatever -- is not asked to prove who they are in some significant way.

Most absentee fraud, I think, occurs like the case from this article -- people vote absentee in one state and on-person in another. On the other hand, there may be other kinds of absentee fraud that I simply can't imagine -- I'm really not that good at sneaky, illegal activities in general. Sadly, there are people who probably make a living at it -- and they are in great demand from both political parties.
  • none Edwin 2012/09/18 21:15:11
    You need an ID to drive, to rent a room, to rent a car, to fly, to get an apartment, get heat and light for the apartment, get a checking or savings account, to buy a beer, so see an 'R' rated movie and believe it or not people have ID's for these things and show them all the time. If you need an ID for those things what do you find unreasonable about showing an ID to vote? Voting is very important and everything possible needs to be done to keep it honest.
  • Edwin none 2012/09/20 06:25:50
    Edwin
    It IS very important -- actually more important to democracy than all of those other things. It is also the only one of the listed things that is guaranteed by the Constitution.

Since the number of cases of in-person fraud is extremely small and the number of cases of legitimate voters without ID is much, much greater than that, it is a case of causing significant harm to fix a small harm... sort of like cutting off an arm to prevent a finger rash from spreading.

Basically, if you prevent large groups of people from being able to do what the Constitution guarantees, you harming democracy in a big way. There has to be a very compelling reason to do so, and there isn't in this case. The number of in-person fraud cases is simply too small to warrant harming this many legitimate voters.
  • none Edwin 2012/09/20 16:42:06
    There is no large group that will be prevented from voting, that's foolishness. If you have the ability to get to a polling place you have the ability to go to a place where you can get a state photo ID if you don't have a drivers license. In most states a state photo ID is free.
  • Edwin none 2012/09/24 03:21:41
    Edwin
    In most states photo ID is anything but free -- first you have to buy a notarized copy of your birth certificate (because most people don't keep one). Next you have to take time off work to go to the government building. And third, most states actually DO charge a fee for the ID -- though they are required by law to offer some sort of free method.

In Wisconsin, you can get the ID free if you come to the government building during a two-hour period on a FIFTH Wednesday of a month... which of course only happens about twice a year. So... four hours a year there is free ID. Guess what? The line is longer than two hours long, so the people at the end of the line have to pay -- unless they are willing to wait another five or six months.

In Wisconsin, another part of the law specifically prohibits college students from voting unless they can show a Wisconsin car registration. Never mind that most don't have cars...

So, yes, some groups are specifically blocked from voting. On purpose.
  • none Edwin 2012/09/24 18:24:14
    BS!
  • Edwin none 2012/09/26 22:32:59
    Edwin
    Funny how I live in this state and actually read the newspaper, yet you don't and somehow think you know recent legislation in my state better than I do. Terms like pompous and arrogant come to mind...
  • RogerCoppock 2012/09/11 20:21:59
    RogerCoppock
    +2
    WOW! One whole case of voter fraud. Bet that doesn't change a single election outcome.
  • Edwin RogerCo... 2012/09/24 03:24:11
    Edwin
    Absentee voter fraud has been estimated to have changed several elections... but of course none of the voter ID laws deal with absentee ballots (some specifically exempt absentee voting, others don't mention it).

Wonder why republican initiatives didn't want to target the actual source of voter fraud...

2014/11/27 02:52:21