Dec 7th, 1941 – Attack on Pearl Harbor

Sherry Mowery, My Cowboy suffers no longer... 2010/12/07 16:10:29
Related Topics: egg, Russell, YouTube

Jim Morgan was sleeping a little late on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.

His mother, Beryl, had tried to wake him up at about 7:30, but the 9-year-old, whose family lived at the Navy base at Pearl Harbor, didn't stir until she came back about 25 minutes later.

He got up just in time to witness history out his bedroom window.

"I said, 'Look, Ma! There's a fire at the submarine base.' "

At that same moment, Russell Meyne was sitting down to a plate of pancakes, bacon and eggs in the mess hall at Pearl Harbor's Hickam Air Base, 2 miles away. He was hoping to revitalize himself after a night of drinking beer with his buddies, celebrating their selection to a group that would be heading to the mainland for flight training.

Suddenly, everything changed.

buddies celebrating selection group heading mainland flight training suddenly changed

It is sad that soon there will be no more "first hand" accounts of WWII as the last of those brave men and women fade into our great country's history. It is vitally important that we remember those that served and teach our younger generations ALL we can about this period of American and World History. Bless those that served and remember those that perished this day 69 years ago...

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-12-07-pea...

• Jay0Byrd 2010/12/07 16:17:15 (edited)
    Jay0Byrd
    +4
    This was the beginning of tens of 1000's of Lives Lost and to be lost in England, France, Germany, Italy, Africa, Poland, etc. and America, as well as the South Pacific, Phillipines, Guam, Japan, etc. Let's all not forget The American Veterans who Fought in WW-II they did nothing less than save the world as we know it.. if it had not be for those who gave so much, we at this time might be speaking Japanese and me writing blogs in German... http://www.veteranstoday.com/...

• seattleman 2010/12/08 09:26:04
    seattleman
    +1
    Thank you. I visited the Arizona Memorial, and will always remember it. It is a powerful memory. She still "bleeds" oil to this day. visited arizona memorial remember powerful memory bleeds oil
  • keeper 2010/12/08 04:44:10
    keeper
    +2
    Thank You for posting this... may there memory never fade... God Bless their souls...
  • ☆CarolAnne☆ 2010/12/08 00:35:06
    ☆CarolAnne☆
    +1
    You know what! I have not heard one darn thing about Pearl Harbor today on the news or in the papers!
  • jimmy d 2010/12/07 20:46:36
    jimmy d
    +2
    It's so sad that you barely hear a whimper in the media about this day that changed history. One parallel to today is this quote from Japanese Admiral Yamamoto "I'm afraid we've awakened a sleeping giant". The same can be said for the American citizens as far as Soros, Obama, Huffington, and the hollywood overinflated egos and their liberal agendas!!!!!!!
  • Sherry ... jimmy d 2010/12/07 21:18:59
    Sherry Mowery, My Cowboy suffers no longer...
    +1
    You got that right!
  • ThomasSnouffer 2010/12/07 18:10:37
    ThomasSnouffer
    +2
    Sherry, you have done something heretofore I thought IMPOSSIBLE. You have embarrassed ME!

I had been busy with caretaking chores and completely FORGOTTEN the significance of this day!

THANK YOU for the reminder!
  • Sherry ... ThomasS... 2010/12/07 21:19:57
    +2
    I am sorry, never meant to do that, but glad you could take my reminder and remember!
  • Don Leuty 2010/12/07 17:53:32
    Don Leuty
    +2
    The price of unpreparedness. Japan shot all that scrap metal we sold them back at us, killing over 2400. Appeasement in Europe combined with the treachery of Pearl put us in a two front war.
  • Sherry ... Don Leuty 2010/12/07 21:20:24
    +2
    WE must never forget!
  • Georgia50 2010/12/07 17:46:26 (edited)
    Georgia50
    +2
    I had several uncles in the Pacific. One was present during the Battle of Midway. There's a channel between the two islands, and his ship, a small tender or support vessel, was told to drop anchor between the islands and not to allow a Japanese ship to pass through. Looking at the map, it seems to me that this order was basically a suicide mission. The only way through was to blast whatever was blocking the way. So these zeroes are swarming the two islands. The guys in this boat are using pistols and rifles. My uncle got credited with downing a zero with only a rifle. According to my aunt, he had eye contact with the pilot when he shot him. Tragically, I did not learn of this before my uncle passed away.
  • Sherry ... Georgia50 2010/12/07 21:20:55
    +2
    Thank God for their service!!!
  • Don Leuty Georgia50 2010/12/08 06:45:25
    Don Leuty
    +1
    Midway was a miracle of confusion. A Japanese carrier was literally taken out of action by bungling. Somebody up there was taking care of business.
  • peggy collins 2010/12/07 16:52:47
    peggy collins
    +3
    Pearl Harbor ,,,,, remember and learn !!! http://cache2.asset-cache.net...
  • Sherry ... peggy c... 2010/12/07 21:21:03
  • peggy collins 2010/12/07 16:51:12
    peggy collins
    +3
    A beautiful post to the men and women to whom we can NEVER thank enough for their sacrifices!!!! I was just talking to one of my sons about this day last night!!! Although an Army tank Commander,,, chest forward,, tears fell down his face,,, thinking through thw horror of Japan getting so close to our shores!!! The America military won the world through all the death and destruction,,,, we gave it back,,,,, Russia invades Poland!!!! If the Commanders of this war of HELL,,, had listened to the pleading of Generals wanting to ctoss the Yantzee river to push bach the Chinese,, this world might be very different today,,,,,, I hope their souls are at rest,, and I salutr all those who were there and remember well!!!! Thoughtful and good post!!! http://cache4.asset-cache.net...
  • Sherry ... peggy c... 2010/12/07 21:25:20
    +3
    We can never thank them enough, I always go to a dance that commenorates this event every year, in Fort Worth, a place, we call Swing Castle, (Southside Preservation Hall,) we all dress in period clothing men and women in uniforms and the dress of the day. We always remember the great sacrifice and our Country's loss. There is lots of swing dancing and fun too.
  • peggy c... Sherry ... 2010/12/07 22:03:28
    peggy collins
    +2
    I wish I was there,,, Sherry,,, what fun,,, I teach Swing Dancing and I would be dancing my hiney off!!! How wonderful to commerate this day!!! Count me there!!! God bless them all!!!! teach swing dancing dancing hiney commerate count god bless dance for vetarens
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2010/12/07 16:21:44 (edited)
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +3
    In that time, people really loved the country, they ran down to Join the military, and fight to protect and save the Union.

Today is seems that Patriotism is a dirty word. Just look at the news, people who attacked us are being allow to put up a monument to Murder!!!

Thank God my Grand Dad and father are not alive to see this disgrace, Both took to the Air to defend this nation,
  • Georgia50 Mel the... 2010/12/07 17:48:58
    Georgia50
    +2
    Yep. On December 6th, Gerald Ford was a member of a group opposed to entering the war. On December 8th he signed up.
  • Sherry ... Mel the... 2010/12/07 21:25:34
  • Jay0Byrd 2010/12/07 16:17:15 (edited)
    Jay0Byrd
    +4
  • Mel the... Jay0Byrd 2010/12/07 17:51:39
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +2
    "writing blogs in German" I doubt they're would be any Blogs, or freedom of Speach for that matter
  • Sherry Mowery, My Cowboy su... 2010/12/07 16:11:46
    +3

This is a song writen in 1942. It was when Americans were still mad at Japan because of Pearl Harbor. Please do not take offense at this. Just disregard what is offensive. Remember the time it was made. I just want people to "Remember Pearl Harbor." Enjoy..

2014/09/18 07:45:31