Dead Man Found In Foreclosed Home 4 Years After Suicide

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/02/07 07:24:07

Abandoned homes have become an increasingly common sight amidst a national foreclosure crisis. Yet what may lurk forgotten behind closed doors may be much worse than nothing at all.

A Milwaukee real estate agent entered one such house last month after it was repossessed due to tax foreclosure -- the government can foreclose on a home if taxes and subsequent fees are not paid off within a designated time period -- to find a sight he's not likely to forget soon. The body of the owner David Carter was found on the stairs in a "nearly skeletonized" state after being left there undiscovered for what investigators believe to be up to four years, The Daily Mail reports.

Carter, whose friends and acquaintances described as "smart and generous," even "funny," quit his job as a nuisance control officer for the City of Milwaukee in 2007, telling co-workers that he planned to move to New Mexico, according to the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel. Instead, it appears that Carter committed suicide. He was found with a bullet wound through his head and a handgun on his chest the day that he would have turned 45 years old.

Sadly, Carter's isn't the first body to be discovered after a seemingly unfathomable amount of time. In England, creditors looking for unpaid bills found the body of a 38-year-old London woman in her rented room in 2006 nearly three years after she's believed to have died. The episode is the subject of a forthcoming film, Dreams of Life, the research for which revealed that the woman was acquaintances with many influential members of London's 80s and 90s pop music scene.

In addition, police last year found an elderly woman's body in a home in Sydney, Australia after she was believed to have died sometime around 2003.

Though Carter and others were found in their homes years after their deaths, the opposite situation -- declaring someone dead prematurely -- has also occurred. A Florida woman is currently suing her lender, JPMorgan Chase, after the bank mistakenly declared her deceased in 2010, which she claimed ruined her credit score. Similarly, a veteran has had to prove his existence four times over in the past two years after the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs stopped paying him his pension benefits on the grounds that he's no longer living.

One in every 627 Wisconsin housing units received a foreclosure filing in December 2011, according to RealtyTrac. In total, the state had the tenth most foreclosure activity of any state.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/06/david-car...

• Jo 2012/02/07 08:15:16
    Jo
    +7
    how sad---but I dont understand how this happens! how does a man die in his home and though he has friends and family (a daughter AND the daughter's mother) not ever come looking for him? Nobody came and knocked on his door when he just disappeared? I know he told co-workers he was moving, but what about landlords/neighbors/parents, etc,etc. Its so sad that this guy committed suicide (already obviously heartbroken) and nobody cared enough about him to come looking for him when he disappeared:(

• ScoutLdr 2012/03/09 03:15:33
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    He's what I took from this story. We, each one of us, has to check on those we know on a regular basis.
  • ScoutLdr 2012/03/08 13:26:16
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    Very sad, but it's has happened before and unfortunately it will happen again,
  • leigh 2012/03/08 04:28:09
    leigh
    +1
    ouch. "dead the day before his born day" :/
  • pjwinkler65 2012/02/08 01:23:29
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    Gee, I hope he hadn't intended to make a statement.
    Seriously though, how sad to be dead for that long and no one at all miss you or check on you. No wonder he did it
  • Reggie☮ 2012/02/07 20:00:46
    Reggie☮
    +1
    No one saw this man for 4 years and didn't question anything about it? The reporter says his "His Friends" what friend doesn't check on someone in four years.
  • Kashee 2012/02/07 19:51:56
    Kashee
    +1
    gruesome
  • Gloria 2012/02/07 18:16:29
    Gloria
    +1
    I am not surprised. This is going to be a third world country.
  • ScoutLdr Gloria 2012/03/08 13:29:09
    ScoutLdr
    In a " third world country," the house would have been stripped of everything valuable in under thirty days.
  • robert 2012/02/07 16:49:44
    robert
    +1
    very sad
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2012/02/07 15:52:37
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Very Sad...
  • Tori Childers 2012/02/07 14:50:15
    Tori Childers
    +1
    I can't believe it took that long for that man to be found, how could no one think to look in his home for him.
  • Nick Name 2012/02/07 14:43:07
    Nick Name
    +3
    Many years ago I read about a case in England where an elderly man had his finances set up so his pension was automatically deposited in his account.
    His various bills where automatically paid from the account, house payment, electric, water, whatever.
    This worked fine for years.

Then one year his property taxes went up and no payment was made in spite of many notices mailed.
    His property was seized by the government and auctioned off.

When the new owner entered for the very first time he found a fully clothed skeleton. No tissue other than bones left.
    Almost immediately arguments started about how many years he had been dead.

When people started bringing up issues of who actually owned the house - taking into consideration that ANY type payments made after death were probably legally invalid - the question of date of death looked like it was headed for court.
  • S. Gompers 2012/02/07 14:40:32
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Sad and amazing that no one looks in the obvious places for missing people.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/02/07 14:06:37
    Jack's Pearl
    +3
    How does a man go missing and they never think to look in his house?? That is just a gross overlook.
  • ScoutLdr Jack's ... 2012/03/08 13:24:32
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    Because he's over eighteen and his home was paid off, he stopped earning money so no IRS, Since neither his ex or daughter reported him missing, their wasn't anyone looking for him.
  • Jack's ... ScoutLdr 2012/03/08 14:39:51
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    That just makes it worse and more stupid. Very sad. I thought he was reported missing?
  • ScoutLdr Jack's ... 2012/03/09 03:13:29
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    No, sadly he wasn't.
  • Jack's ... ScoutLdr 2012/03/09 12:53:18
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I guess I misunderstood when they said he disappeared four years before. I assumed that meant he was being sought. Just terrible.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/02/07 13:55:43 (edited)
    Waiting in the Wings
    +2
    So tragic! Yes, he said he was moving away, but why did no one try to stay in contact with him. Do we stop being friends with people because we moved away now? "Friends" are wracked with grief?
  • La 2012/02/07 10:53:39
    La
    +1
    Sad. Sneaky that he told everyone that he was moving away.
  • FAM of the OMC 2012/02/07 10:47:11
    FAM of the OMC
    +2
    Don't fly solo, don't burn your bridges, and love your family and friends. That's about the only worthwhile take-aways that come to my mind after reading this tragic tale.
  • FAM of ... FAM of ... 2012/02/07 10:49:46
    FAM of the OMC
    ... and Nuisance Control Officer???

"Turn down that music!"
    "Pull up those pants!"
    "Clean up that graffiti!"
    "Get your slow-driving-self out of the left lane!"
  • vetogod 2012/02/07 09:52:00
    vetogod
    damn that is kind of funny ......... and sad ............but it tickles my funny bone how some one can go missing that long hahahaha uhhhhhh he must have been a really popular guy to be found dead years later ha ha that is quite funny , sad but funny, to me more funny then sad he really knows how to be bone chilling lol
  • D.G.rocks 2012/02/07 09:26:15
    D.G.rocks
    +1
    did no one notice he was missing?
  • p18711 2012/02/07 08:56:44
    p18711
    +1
    I never feel lonely again coz it wont take 4 years (unless fat tonny lets me sleep with the fishies)
    But it remains a sad story and i feel compassion for the guy
  • Jo 2012/02/07 08:15:16
    Jo
    +7
  • David H... Jo 2012/02/07 08:21:47
    David Hussey
    +6
    Those were my very thoughts Jo. tragic enough that someone had taken their own life, but how sad that his absence had nobody searching for him. This is such a sad statement not just about the economic conditions, but the very direction that society has turned. No wonder the poor man killed himself.
  • Jo David H... 2012/02/07 08:57:05 (edited)
    Jo
    +6
    it broke my heart when I read that, and to make matters worse, apparently its relatively common for that to happen---I just think its so incredibly sad; one time when I had gotten home from work (I had been flying--I'm a flight attendant) and was completely exhausted, I locked the doors, turned off my phone, went to bed and slept for a day and a half strait. My mom couldnt get a hold of me and got worried, next thing I knew, the police were knocking on my door! She called them worried that something had happened to me and wanted them to check---why didnt this guy have that?? The tragedy of it just amazes me:(
  • La Jo 2012/02/07 10:56:29
    La
    +1
    >.> If he told everyone he was moving away, I'm sure they went and knocked on his door and when no one answered, assumed he'd already left. How do you know no one went and knocked on his door? He was /dead/. He wasn't about to answer it.

He obviously didn't have a landlord because he must have owned the home and have been paying it off for it to be foreclosed on. Maybe he wasn't close with his family or maybe they didn't live near him. It's perfectly understandable how this happened.
  • David H... La 2012/02/07 15:40:57
    David Hussey
    +2
    4yrs, nobody looking for him, nobody reporting him missing. It is anything but understandable
  • La David H... 2012/02/08 08:14:55
    La
    Why do you keep saying that no one looked for him? How do you *know* that no one looked. They just didn't look hard enough. And would *you* report a co-worker missing if they moved away? Or even a family member? Let's say you're used to calling them once a week. They "move away" and are suddenly unreachable. Short of transporting yourself however far away to where you think they moved to and looking for them, there's hardly enough reason to report them missing. "Sorry cops, they're not answering my phone calls". Sounds legit.
  • Jo La 2012/02/07 19:26:59
    Jo
    i disagree---he only told his coworkers he was moving---what about his family? nobody looking for this guy for four years is nuts.
  • La Jo 2012/02/08 08:15:35
    La
    If he committed suicide, he clearly didn't have a close family network to rely on. Being alone makes many people unhappy.
  • Jo La 2012/02/08 08:17:03 (edited)
    Jo
    no, that's not clear---alot of people have committed suicide and are suicidal that have close family networks; it has little, if any, bearing on the situation.

2014/08/27 21:19:38