Dallas Woman Shoots at 2 Intruders; 1 Dead

Marvelous Wildfire 2012/12/04 14:49:54
By Elvira Sakmari
Thursday, Oct 18, 2012

Dallas police said a woman shot at two people who kicked in the door to her house late Wednesday morning, killing one.

The shooting occurred at about 11:30 a.m. in the 7200 block of Concordia Drive.

Dallas police said the woman was home alone when she heard a noise -- two men had kicked in the front door of her house.
She confronted the two men as they reached the second-floor landing and shot at them several times, police said.

The intruders ran out the front door, and one of the men collapsed from a gunshot wound, police said.
He was transported to Methodist Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The other man is still on the run.
Investigators said a gun recovered at the home indicates that at least one of the intruders was armed.

Charles Brown, the father of the 22-year-old woman who fired the shots, said he is proud of his daughter.

"Yeah, it is -- it's puffed out because I'm real proud of her because I taught her that," he said. "I taught my girls that -- to defend themselves when someone come to hurt them, and apparently she listened."

Brown said their home has been broken into once before.
"I'm feeling real disgusted about this neighborhood at this moment, that a man can't go to work and make an honest day's living without some thug breaking into his house," he said.

Because his daughter works at night and sleeps during the day, he left the gun by her pillow, just like he does every day, Brown said.
He said he will now teach his daughter how to forgive herself for taking a life.

"I really don't have a problem with what my baby done to them," he said. "I just hate that she hesitated and didn't get them both."

NBC 5's Randy McIlwain contributed to this report.

Read More: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Homeowner-Shoots-...

• Amasaman 2012/12/04 14:59:50
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Amasaman
    +9
    Situations like this happen so many more times in the day than wrongful and illegal use of firearms that get so much attention from the media.
    More stories like this would counter the media bias against firearms.

• Old Timer 2012/12/05 17:59:44
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Old Timer
    +1
    OH DAMN, not more GUN VIOLENCE. Perhaps they only wanted to use the phone cause their car was broke down.
  • Professor Wizard 2012/12/05 16:17:08
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    Again, the Nationals didn't bother to pick this one up.

BUT - - you can bet your ass, that if one of the intruders has raped and shot the women, THEN the Media blits would have been yelling at the top of their lungs, that this would not have happened if guns were banned.
  • Jeff Smith 2012/12/05 13:30:28
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Jeff Smith
    +1
    Note to bad guys: We're waiting for ya
  • "OG" 2012/12/05 05:04:04
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    "OG"
    +1
    Get-R-Dun ! Sounds like the woman did a fine job ! I say leave them laying let the buzzards pick their eyes and their souls.
  • Marvelo... "OG" 2012/12/05 13:53:37
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    OMG! That is TERRIBLE!
    The smell would be horrible! . . . simply hanging their heads from the gate posts should do.
  • Jayne 2012/12/05 01:26:13
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Jayne
    +1
    I am sorry that happened to your daughter.
  • Spy Master 2012/12/05 01:25:40
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Spy Master
    +2
    How about a bunch of us move to Texas; I bet we could make a lot of the ungrateful's leave real quickly; and if the state secedes; they'll be illegal immigration to the Northern States of AmeriKa
  • eyeballz 2012/12/05 00:48:33
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    eyeballz
    +1
    Reports like this should make the front page of every newspaper , unfortunately, we live in a society that encourages us to believe, we should not be responsible for ourselves and our families, our Government will take care of us and protect us !
    God bless this young lady for doing the right thing, and not becoming a victim or a statistic , and God bless her daddy , Charles Brown, for teaching her it is OK to be self reliant and protect yourself !
  • Marvelo... eyeballz 2012/12/05 04:03:21
    Marvelous Wildfire
    BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!
    Very well stated!
    (To further prove your point: Google Thomas Glenn Terry and Shoney's Anniston, Alabama)
  • matt.gaffrey 2012/12/05 00:15:49
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    matt.gaffrey
    +2
    Guns save lives. An armed society is a polite society.
  • Marvelo... matt.ga... 2012/12/05 04:09:32 (edited)
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Absolutely!

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -by Robert A. Heinlein from "Beyond This Horizon" (1942)
  • Gooky 2012/12/04 23:19:24
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Gooky
    +2
    Yiiii haaaw!
    Annie Oakley still lives!
  • Semper Fi 2012/12/04 23:11:46
    BooHooHoooo! She let one get away!
    Semper Fi
    +5
    The more we shoot, the less they'll loot!
  • Marvelo... Semper Fi 2012/12/05 04:12:12
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    *Sniff, sniff* That's beautiful!
  • Semper Fi Marvelo... 2012/12/05 14:36:04
    Semper Fi
    :}
  • Birthpangs 2012/12/04 21:24:44
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    +2
    Good for her!
  • Lanikai 2012/12/04 19:16:25
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    +3
    Good for her.
  • User Deactivated 2012/12/04 18:35:27
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    User Deactivated
    +4
    The more the bad guys hear about things like this, the more they will stop and think before trying it.
  • stevecrebb81 2012/12/04 18:23:40
  • Lanikai stevecr... 2012/12/04 19:17:53
    +3
    bravo.

No one is talking about removing guns from the thugs.
  • Wulfdane 2012/12/04 17:57:37 (edited)
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    Wulfdane
    +7
    Good for her, she did the best she could and saved herself from a likely rape/murder. At least one of them will never hurt anyone again.

Taking another human life isn't easy, now she will need time to heal and come to terms with what she had to do.
  • Max 2012/12/04 17:11:43
    BooHooHoooo! She let one get away!
    Max
    +2
    She needs to get to target practice. One out of two is pretty good batting average.

I'm sorry to see the father gave out so much information about when his daughter goes to work. The scumbag that got away now knows when she's not around.
  • DuncanONeil 2012/12/04 17:01:40
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    DuncanONeil
    +3
    She didn't LET him get away! She scared his tookus away!
  • JakeisHere 2012/12/04 17:00:20
    HURRAY! We need more reports like this!
    JakeisHere
    +5
    Damn, good for her. Thats one thing that I really am jealous of as a Canadian. In the US, as I understand it, homeowners can use so called "Castle Law" to defend their properties/families. In Canada, if someone breaks into my house and I shoot them, I can be arrested and charged with assault/manslaughter/murder if I shoot first. Absurd. Thats one thing you Americans need to protect. Your right to self defense,
  • Marvelo... JakeisHere 2012/12/04 17:08:23
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +3
    Sadly, that is also why the violent crime rate is skyrocketing in Canada.
  • JakeisHere Marvelo... 2012/12/04 17:13:49
    JakeisHere
    +2
    In the part of Canada I live in (Alberta, Calgary) we are more conservative then the rest of Canada, probably still considered Moderate in the states. Most of the crime where I live is Criminal on Criminal and most of it is centered downtown. Its not surprising considering that Calgary is one of the more gun friendly cities in Canada (lots of outlying rural areas around the city, big urban sprawl.) and we also enjoy one of the lowest murder rates in the entirety of North America. Funny how that works. If you think I might be armed you think twice before breaking into my house. Strange how more people don't seem to see the correlation. I find a lot of people are just genuinely afraid of firearms, most of those people have never handled them. I think if more people were trained to use them, or took classes or had a family member take them shooting, it would do a lot to remove the negative stigma around firearms in general.
  • Marvelo... JakeisHere 2012/12/04 17:32:05
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +3
    Great points!

The media promotes the negative about guns, while hiding positive gun use.
    Proof: Read about the Pearl High School Shooting and see how few mention the fact that Mr. Myrick stopped the murderer with a gun.

And read about Thomas Glenn Terry's experience at Shoney's just 2 months after the Luby's Massacre.
  • JakeisHere Marvelo... 2012/12/04 17:43:57
    JakeisHere
    +1
    The media really is quite negative whenever they are talking about firearms, I find. There is certainly a media bias against them where I live, I see this even more so when I watch federal news here in Canada, and read about all the people in Toronto getting shot by criminals almost every week. Its quite sad as most of these people are unarmed when it happens, probably 99% of them. Then they have to wait 20 minutes for the police to show up and "shoot the bad guy" for them.

I often think about the Aurora theater shooting and wonder how many lives might have been saved in that horrible incident if a civilian had been armed and shot back. One of the arguments people always use is "well then you have a gunfight and he might of shot another civilian in the chaos" which is a valid point, and yes lets say he panicked and shot 3 civilians before hitting the shooter. That person still would have stopped that massacre before it went on for 15+ minutes. Probably would of saved at least a dozen lives.

I really can't stand the mentality that the "government will protect u"s here. Sure, they will come and defend you, but that doesn't really help you in the 20 minutes it takes them to get there does it? I think it really is just from a lack of gun education. People are afraid of firearms beca...

I really can't stand the mentality that the "government will protect u"s here. Sure, they will come and defend you, but that doesn't really help you in the 20 minutes it takes them to get there does it? I think it really is just from a lack of gun education. People are afraid of firearms because its a foreign thing to them, if I had not handled firearms growing up, I would probably feel the same. I can't really fault people for that I guess. I just wish we treated firearms like we do with anything else considered to be "dangerous" we do it through education, not denial-ism. if no one had guns then the problem would be solved. Guns are however a very real part of our society and they are probably never going to be completely absent. Criminals will always have ways of acquiring them. The best offense is a good defense to summarize.
  • Marvelo... JakeisHere 2012/12/04 17:55:35
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    The police seldom arrive in time to even arrest a suspect, much less *USE* their guns.

And I tell folks: "And if a police officer actually NEEDED a gun for a call, doesn't logic suggest that the victim the call was made for, needed a gun as well?"
  • JakeisHere Marvelo... 2012/12/04 18:01:18 (edited)
    JakeisHere
    +1
    Exactly my point. If the police could magically teleport to defend me when someone is trying to shoot me, or breaking into my house maybe I would feel differently about it (although I am sure that would cause a whole new batch of issues.) However, the reality we live in is that you can only really rely on yourself or your family for protection.

I actually have an older friend who has been an officer for 10 years, and he has told me has never pulled his gun from his holster while on duty. I was unsure whether I should of found it reassuring about the city I live in, or horribly alarming that he had never defended anyone (including himself) with his firearm during a criminal event.
  • Marvelo... JakeisHere 2012/12/04 18:06:51
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    Most officers retire without ever firing their gun, outside of the very rare training session.

The majority of the time, law enforcement doesn't even get the call for help, until after the area is safe. (Not really surprising since most criminals won't let you "Just make a quick call . . . .")
  • JakeisHere Marvelo... 2012/12/04 18:10:38 (edited)
    JakeisHere
    +1
    Thats most likely true. When they get the call its usually far too late, or at least when they arrive. I know a couple officers and I wouldn't want to say disparaging things about them as these people do go out and put their lives on the line every day for my protection. However, I find it alarming when people become reliant on the police to protect them.
  • Marvelo... JakeisHere 2012/12/04 18:50:36
    Marvelous Wildfire
    I'm not disparaging them by stating facts.
    My dad was a deputy for 35 year.
    But facts don't change just because they sound bad.

Here in the USA the police have no duty to protect individuals.
  • JakeisHere Marvelo... 2012/12/04 18:55:33
    JakeisHere
    +1
    I wasn't trying to say you were, sorry. I was just stating I was trying to avoid doing that.

Thats true, its due to too much government intervention, obstructing their original purpose.
  • Marvelo... JakeisHere 2012/12/04 18:58:01
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Here are just a few of the ruling from the courts:
    Bowers v. DeVito, 686 F.2d 616 (7th Cir. 1982) (no federal constitutional requirement that police provide protection)

Calogrides v. Mobile, 475 So. 2d 560 (Ala. 1985); Cal Govt. Code 845 (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Calogrides v. Mobile, 846 (no liability for failure to arrest or to retain arrested person in custody)

Davidson v. Westminster, 32 Cal.3d 197, 185, Cal. Rep. 252; 649 P.2d 894 (1982) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Stone v. State 106 Cal.App.3d 924, 165 Cal Rep. 339 (1980) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Morgan v. District of Columbia, 468 A.2d 1306 (D.C.App. 1983) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C.App 1981) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Sapp v. Tallahassee, 348 So.2d 363 (Fla. App. 1st Dist.), cert. denied 354 So.2d 985 (Fla. 1977); Ill. Rec. Stat. 4-102 (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Keane v. Chicago, 98 Ill. App.2d 460, 240 N.E.2d 321 (1st Dist. 1968) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Jamison v. Chicago, 48 Ill. App. 3d 567 (1st Dist. 1977) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Simp...

Simpson's Food Fair v. Evansville, 272 N.E.2d 871 (Ind. App.) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Silver v. Minneapolis, 170 N.W.2d 206 (Minn. 1969) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Wuetrich V. Delia, 155 N.J. Super. 324, 326, 382, A.2d 929, 930 cert. denied 77 N.J. 486, 391 A.2d 500 (1978) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)

Chapman v. Philadelphia, 290 Pa. Super. 281, 434 A.2d 753 (Penn. 1981) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)Morris v. Musser, 84 Pa. Cmwth. 170, 478 A.2d 937 (1984) (no liability for failure to provide police protection)
  • Lanikai Marvelo... 2012/12/04 19:19:55
    +3
    I would prefer to explain why there is a dead guy in my house, rather than having the police explain to my child why I am dead.
  • Marvelo... Lanikai 2012/12/04 21:22:39
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +3
    BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!
    Too many people don't grasp that point!
    Your Choice
  • Lanikai Marvelo... 2012/12/04 21:26:18
    +1
    Thank you.
  • Lanikai JakeisHere 2012/12/04 19:18:51
    +1
    Sadly, our own stupid POS pres is trying to take away our right to bear arms.

2014/10/25 12:07:03