Dallas school gives two "race based" awards. Is this OK?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/06/07 14:18:19

A fifth grade award ceremony at Hickman Elementary School in Garland, Texas, is under scrutiny after the grandmother of a student took issue with awards handed out based on race.

The ceremony, which took place on May 25, was part of a fifth grade
commencement exercise for students transitioning to the sixth grade,
said Chris Moore, Garland Independent School District (ISD) spokesperson.

While students received awards for attendance or citizenship, two awards in particular hit a sour note with Rene Morris, whose grandson attended Hickman Elementary, because they were given by community organizations that targeted African American and Hispanic students.

"It sickened my stomach," said Morris of the awards. "I can't believe an
organization wants to give money to a school district insist these
awards be given publicly. With all the diversity that this school has,
I'm shocked the teachers aren't smart enough to see that this is wrong
and they're proud of that."

Morris attended the ceremony for her grandson hoping he would be recognized for being on the honor roll last quarter.

She was dismayed when the school failed to honor students like her
grandson and instead announced the recipients of The Goldie Lockie Excel
Award granted by the Garland Chapter of the NAACP and the Garland Association for Hispanic Affairs' Image Award.

Read More: http://gma.yahoo.com/dallas-elementary-school-crit...

• Snow 2012/06/07 15:10:08
    No this is not Ok.
    Snow
    +10
    But this sort of thing exists all over the nation. Just look at the number of scholarships that are black- or hispanic-only, or minorities-only!

And this might have provoked outrage, but what of women's colleges or things along those lines? If this is racist, aren't those sexist?

I'm not entirely sure of my opinion.

• Cora 2012/06/17 17:28:15
    No this is not Ok.
    Cora
    It should be based on school academics not a RACE academics. Good grief people get off the RACE ISSUE ALREADY. You are in a country that are of many RACES. We are ALL HUMAN beings. If they;re going to give those awards the where does the ASIANS the INDIANS, the WHITES (ie, AMERICANS), RUSSIAN etc...................fit in those awards. OOPS you better get more awards because you are leaving out the others.
  • oldlady 2012/06/11 00:47:31
    Yes this is OK
    oldlady
    As you are looking for attention here no matter who gets hurt in the end of your posts :/
  • Death Faerie 2012/06/10 19:39:06
    No this is not Ok.
    Death Faerie
    This is racist and discriminatory. People should be awarded for their achievements, not their race. People shouldn't be left out of awards because they don't fit the right race.
  • frank 2012/06/10 18:25:32
    No this is not Ok.
    frank
    Can you imagine what would have happened if a school gave out an award to the outstanding white student? The NAACP and the ACLU would be all over the school.
  • Xerxes 2012/06/10 14:32:17
    Yes this is OK
    Xerxes
    Not given by school by organizations
  • Katherine the Renaissance W... 2012/06/10 14:29:27
    No this is not Ok.
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    Yeah, because I'm sure fifth graders nowadays not only understand, but also face, the same adversities that their previous generations had to deal with. -__-
  • BongRipper 2012/06/10 14:24:58
    Yes this is OK
    BongRipper
    Everyone should get an award for who they are.
  • Iamfree 2012/06/08 20:52:37
    No this is not Ok.
    Iamfree
    +1
    I have a problem with anything that separates and divides students based on race. Would the school have permitted something like the David Dukes Award to be given by the KKK? I'm thinking not.
  • ButterbeerMe 2012/06/08 07:03:01
    No this is not Ok.
    ButterbeerMe
    +1
    It's only okay if it's for minorities.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/06/08 04:39:37
    No this is not Ok.
    Just me ♥
    +2
    I don't have a problem with outside business awarding & recognizing students in school through partnerships through education NOT based on race or gender. To me, awarding a monetary prize to a minority student for good behavior or grades is like saying to a child "you are doing better than what anyone would expect from someone in your race so here's an award...."......WTF?!

My daughter was inducted into the National Honor's Society her Freshman year in high school and a couple of months after that ceremony, we received from the district a letter inviting her to be in the "Minority Honor's Society" and we politely refused. The qualifications were basically being non-caucasian, a certain minimal GPA, and no disciplinary issues. A staff member from the school called to see why we wouldn't let her join and I told her in our view, it was racist and we would have NO part of it. The lady said by being in the club, my daughter could have extra money for college and given "extra opprotunities" not given to "privileged" children.

By the time my daughter graduates high school, she will have all of her basic education college courses completed and without the help of "dirty money".
  • Iamfree Just me ♥ 2012/06/08 20:53:54
    Iamfree
    +1
    Way to be a great parent, Just me :)
  • Just me ♥ Iamfree 2012/06/09 01:35:17
    Just me ♥
    +1
    TY :o)
  • gvc 2012/06/08 04:12:19
    No this is not Ok.
    gvc
    +1
    Hell no it's not ok.

Actions like this only enforce racial tensions.
  • Raphy 2012/06/08 03:42:22
    No this is not Ok.
    Raphy
    I don't that's the place for such an award. Do the kids even know what it was for. That could be embarrassing for kids at that age. Maybe the school did this for other reasons........
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/06/08 01:14:01
    No this is not Ok.
    TruBluTopaz
    But it's business as usual. Sadly.
  • GeorgeAMartini 2012/06/07 21:55:01
    No this is not Ok.
    GeorgeAMartini
    +1
    Everyone here knows that if we had an award for white achievement or some other such nonsense the people behind it would be ruined for life. They'd never work again in education and most likely would have to move out of the community. I have an acquaintance who is Hispanic. She married a Caucasian man and had a daughter. Her daughter therefore has Hispanic heritage. When her daughter was 16 she entered an Hispanic heritage festival beauty pageant and won. The Hispanic community was outraged because she didn't look Hispanic and could barely speak Spanish. They called for her to have the title taken away because she looked too "white". It cuts both ways folks. When can we get past this? We should all be Americans first and foremost. I was turned down for admission into the college of my choice after having completed a prescribed course of work at my community college and having a signed agreement "guaranteeing" my admission. Only during the two years between the agreement being signed and my enrollment the standards got tougher. The admissions official told me the only way I was going to get in, after having exceeded the agreement expectations, was if I was black, Asian or part Native American. I am none of those. Should I have sued them? In today's America we are more divided than ever, thanks in part, to our half black, half white President who works at setting us against each other. We need to stop this crap now.
  • jaydenvdv 2012/06/07 21:46:17
    No this is not Ok.
    jaydenvdv
    +2
    Sorry but being white, I have spent a huge portion of my life learning how to be politically correct. If we are "all equal" then make it that way across the board!
  • D D 2012/06/07 21:42:02
    No this is not Ok.
    D D
    +1
    They want equal rights so they need to act like equals. No special pickings.
  • Solomonster 2012/06/07 21:30:09
    Yes this is OK
    Solomonster
    Or it would be if they had one for each race, not just 2. That part is pretty crappy.
  • Sofahead 2012/06/07 21:12:01
    No this is not Ok.
    Sofahead
    +2
    Love see the reaction if a similiar award under similiar circumstances was given to Whites, especial by the Klan.
  • jaydenvdv Sofahead 2012/06/07 21:48:19
    jaydenvdv
    the "klan" isn't white. They fought for the death and pain of other races. As a white girl, I find that horribly offensive!
  • Sofahead jaydenvdv 2012/06/07 21:53:24
    Sofahead
    It is supposed to sarcasm.

Are we both talking about the Ku Klux Klan? The organization that has a reputation of a very narrow definition of who qualifies as a 100% American and has a famous lack of respect for Blacks.
  • jaydenvdv Sofahead 2012/06/07 22:01:51
    jaydenvdv
    +1
    oh thank goodness, I was worried there for a sec!!! Yes, they hated all races actually, they just killed more blacks than any other race!
  • Mechelle 2012/06/07 20:34:22
    No this is not Ok.
    Mechelle
    +3
    We strive as a. Country to be UNITED. Separating them like that destroys what we as a nation are striving for. Give credit where it is due, not by what race they are. If that were done for white children, all hell would break loose.
  • Anarchico Anthony 2012/06/07 20:13:22
    No this is not Ok.
    Anarchico Anthony
    +2
    There should be no "race based" awards. I'm part hispanic and wouldn't want to be treated any better or any worse just because I'm part of another race
  • Tony 2012/06/07 19:51:26
    No this is not Ok.
    Tony
    +5
    How are the races supposed to co-exist in peace if they keep insisting on standing alone?
  • gvc Tony 2012/06/08 04:13:43
    gvc
    +1
    Well said!
  • FanOreilly 2012/06/07 19:42:54
    No this is not Ok.
    FanOreilly
    +4
    The very definition of 'institutionalized racism'
  • notokand 2012/06/07 16:57:01
    No this is not Ok.
    notokand
    +2
    Blaaaaahhhhh! (noises of frustration)
  • Tink123 2012/06/07 16:53:58
    Yes this is OK
    Tink123
    +1
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the students receiving these awards - but they had already received them in a separate ceremony. I think the school could have passed out awards to honor roll students as well though.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/06/07 16:49:17
  • COCO whitewu... 2012/06/07 21:30:33
    COCO
    +1
    Exactly.
  • Reichstolz 2012/06/07 15:39:53
    No this is not Ok.
    Reichstolz
    +1
    Nothing new, they wouldn't get awards otherwise. The only reason we have "graduation" ceremonies for every stinking grade here in CA, is to make the illegal mexicans feel like they are accomplishing something. When in reality 70% of them will never see a real graduation.
  • Snow 2012/06/07 15:10:08
    No this is not Ok.
    Snow
    +10

I'm not entirely sure of my opinion.
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2012/06/07 15:01:22
    No this is not Ok.
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +9
    I can just imagine the FUROR had there been an award for whites only.

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” - Supreme Court Justice John Roberts
  • Flowers 2012/06/07 14:51:14
    No this is not Ok.
    Flowers
    +8
    Racism is unacceptable, period. Racially excluding white students from qualifying for those awards, shame on all of them
  • 1wickedwitch 2012/06/07 14:49:13
    No this is not Ok.
    1wickedwitch
    +3
    we see separation like this all the time..some people dont mind
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/06/07 14:46:40
    No this is not Ok.
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +7
    Sadly, that's how things roll down here, and no one wants to stand up to the blatant racism. It's gotten a lot worse since Tom Leppert made us a sanctuary city and John Wiley Price is being investigated by the FBI.
  • 4570GOVT 2012/06/07 14:42:35
    No this is not Ok.
    4570GOVT
    +5
    THIS IS SICK ! School is not the place for this because it is racist . Schools should stick with " the usual awards / attendance / grades / etc. " that are available to ALL students . These two awards could be given privately but not at the cost of being openly racist to " other races " ............ there are No Awards for Asian , Whites , Native American ONLY , because those would be racist as well . Keep Politics Out Of School !
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/06/07 14:42:10
    No this is not Ok.
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +5
    I would rather have merit based awards ;-)

2014/12/17 20:00:41