Cutting down dead cedar trees on your own property to prevent wildfires in West Lake Hills, TX? That'll be a $140,000 fine!

tncdel 2012/12/09 01:24:26

Comment as you wish.
    +5
    Texas, welcome to California. My guess, that’s what happens when too many Californians immigrate to Texas. Where I live in California, I need a permit to cut down any tree on the land I own. Please correct me if I’m wrong, do I live in a state of tyranny? We need to erect a “Statue of Liberty” here in the San Francisco Bay.

• ruralntex 2012/12/09 14:59:17
    Comment as you wish.
    ruralntex
    +2
    Are all of West Lake Hills city problems solved? Are they so caught up with the problems they are paid to solve that they have time to invent more to solve? Perhaps a mandatory furlough for city employees is in order? I bet this evil bastard was sipping a friggin big gulp while watching the tree crews cut these trees down. Probably bought it and other crap that he carried home in a plastic bag. Geez, government is out of friggin control. I don't suppose he can find a fireman that would say he told the guy to cut the dead ones?
  • Jeff Smith 2012/12/09 14:25:11 (edited)
    Comment as you wish.
    Jeff Smith
    +2
    LOL that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. My property my tree's screw your ordinances if the city is so concerned about what's on people's property then they should pay the cost's to maintain those tree's and the cost's of replacement.

If it was me I'd have tossed the cigarette myself and watched it burn blaming it on a passerby and tell the city to shove it then plant some really ugly bush's in there place
  • Empireoflies 2012/12/09 09:10:15
  • Chukroast 2012/12/09 08:24:31
    Comment as you wish.
    Chukroast
    +2
    That's F _ _ _ ING crazy.
  • Walt 2012/12/09 08:11:05
    Comment as you wish.
    Walt
    +2
    If it were me and I wanted all of the trees gone on a tract of land, if it was illegal to cut, I would import a lot of termites to chew them down. Let's see the government prosecute termites.
  • A Founding Father 2012/12/09 06:02:18
    Comment as you wish.
    A Founding Father
    Texas, land of the free and home of brave constitutionalists and evangelicals, needs to raise money in order to replace the $Zillions they receive from Federal sources, when they "secede" from the Union. From now on Texans will be fined for every tree cut, trimmed, or otherwise harmed. And, lighting a propane BBQ will be fined $50 each tiime
    the macine is lit. Mowing grass has a penalty yet to be determined. Welcome to the new world of RWNJ land.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/12/09 03:59:47
  • srini 2012/12/09 03:19:35
    Comment as you wish.
    srini
    +1
    And yet these same idiots will incorrectly remove healthy trees without consent and then refuse to pay compensation (as happened in Bethesda in 1990 -- where they also left the one unhealthy one they were supposed to remove).
  • flaca BN-0 2012/12/09 03:01:03
    Comment as you wish.
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    Dems not cedar trees. Cedars use 3 times as much water as Oaks. I've cut many of them down on my property. Nobody cares.
    texas cedar tree
  • tncdel flaca BN-0 2012/12/10 15:44:38
    tncdel
    The article said the trees in question were cedar trees.
  • Wulfdane 2012/12/09 02:51:34 (edited)
    Comment as you wish.
    Wulfdane
    +1
    Unfortunately for the guy, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
  • Beccy 2012/12/09 02:45:33
    Comment as you wish.
    +1
    Are they raising fines to make up for all the taxes they are loosing?
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2012/12/09 02:31:49
    Comment as you wish.
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +3
    Thats crazy! Guess it's only OK in Texas if the County-State with the help of the electric company can cut trees down as that is exactly what occurred in our area of Tarrant County. They even cut down spruce trees that dared to grow on the home owner and the county's line. The goof balls cut it all down around here a few months back. They even shaved my trees back if they were leaning over that damn line. Yep, they even came inside my fence to clean up their mess. No telling what they would look like had I not gone out and complained.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/12/09 02:25:19
    Comment as you wish.
    Rebel Yell
    +3
    The Texas drought of 2011 and the fires that raged across acres near that area are a very fresh memory. Following the Bastrop fires, many in densely wooded
    areas are fearful of drought fires and dead cedar trees for obvious reasons..... they are fire bombs. Those who live in Westlake are the tree hugger mentality, so he should have had a talk with the city first about his intention.
  • sneekyfoot 2012/12/09 02:15:49
    Comment as you wish.
    sneekyfoot
    +1
    thats texas for you
  • Annie~P... sneekyfoot 2012/12/09 02:34:02
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +3
    Thats the government playing God at county level maybe.
  • sneekyfoot Annie~P... 2012/12/09 02:37:24
    sneekyfoot
    +3
    ok I will go for that
  • jimmy "In God We Trust" 2012/12/09 02:10:00
    Comment as you wish.
    jimmy  "In God We Trust"
    +3
    Thank God I live in Utah, I drove out to the desert today and cut down four juniper trees for fire wood and never seen a soul now its snowing and I have a nice fire going.
  • User Deactivated 2012/12/09 02:04:23
    Comment as you wish.
    User Deactivated
    +4
    That's what he gets for living in the liberal controlled Austin/San Antonio area.
    Comment as you wish.
    +5
  • RobHom 2012/12/09 01:42:34
    Comment as you wish.
    RobHom
    +2
    Welllllll nowwwww, who would ever believe that government agency in the extremely rightwing teaparty Texas would ever trample on a homeowners rights??

I'll be danged....republicans running roughshod over someones property rights......

Who'd have ever thunk it??
  • User De... RobHom 2012/12/09 02:02:10
    User Deactivated
    +4
    West lake Hills is a suburb of Democrat stronghold Austin. 'nuff said.
  • RobHom User De... 2012/12/09 02:25:53
    RobHom
    Oh come now....as overrun as TX is with all those RWNJ's....(like my son)....I can't really imagine anyone allowing government intervention of any type in a private citizens life there.
  • User De... RobHom 2012/12/09 02:28:42
    User Deactivated
    +4
    Yeah, I agree. If the Liberal wingnuts keep up this kind of oppression, the RWNJ's will finally clear them out.
  • RobHom User De... 2012/12/09 21:10:05
  • User De... RobHom 2012/12/09 21:43:34
    User Deactivated
    +1
    We adopted a similar ordinance after Katrina. Lots of folks had tree phobia from all the damage caused from trees falling on their houses. Then after a few years, the city repealed the ordinance after the PTSD subsided somewhat. I can see having an ordinance preventing complete deforestation, but tree on your own land is your tree, to do with as you will.
  • RobHom User De... 2012/12/09 23:39:32
    RobHom
    Agreed....

Do you think its possible that someone there about has a stick in their craw over this guy? Makes me think its possible..
  • User De... RobHom 2012/12/09 23:43:19
    User Deactivated
    I've heard other similar stories , one about a church that was fined thousands just for over-trimming their bushes. It's a control thing, I believe.
  • RobHom User De... 2012/12/10 00:44:51
    RobHom
    Sounds to me like someone needs to get their backs up and go after the idiots.... "Over trimming bushes"??? Dayumm....who'd thunk you could do that??

I had a problem with a zoning critter once...a neighbor complained about my having a load of lumber stacked on a trailer, on my property.

I had just torn down the frame of a structure that the previous owner had put up a few years before and never finished. I deemed it a hazard to my grandchildren who were living there...I tore it down.

Crazy woman next door complained about it... Asked the zoning idiot how he saw it...he told me who's land the inspector walked on... I toild him the inspector trespassed. It was my land. I wanted him arrested. Zoning idiot backed down.

Later zoning idiot tells me my fence is too close to the road. I go down to county courthouse and ask him if he is half as stupid as I think? He mutters nasty words....I asked him...is your green card in order, again he mutters nasty words.... I tell him, UP YOURS....if my fence is too close...then before I move the fence the county has to repair and surface the road..... He thinks a minute...calls someone, that person chews his ass big time.... I was about 6' away and could hear every word!! That person told him to STFU!! The road did not belong to the co...

Later zoning idiot tells me my fence is too close to the road. I go down to county courthouse and ask him if he is half as stupid as I think? He mutters nasty words....I asked him...is your green card in order, again he mutters nasty words.... I tell him, UP YOURS....if my fence is too close...then before I move the fence the county has to repair and surface the road..... He thinks a minute...calls someone, that person chews his ass big time.... I was about 6' away and could hear every word!! That person told him to STFU!! The road did not belong to the county and was not county maintained...and if I wanted to run my fence down the middle of it...he couldn't do squat about it. It was a "private ingress over egress access"......LOL. Never heard from him again.

Sheriff told the crazy woman next door that if she called 911 one more time and wasn't bleeding to death...she was going to jail. Shortly after, she moved....
  • User De... RobHom 2012/12/10 01:01:16
    User Deactivated
    +1
    LOL good for you.

The only similar situation I had was when two city inspectors came and tried to give me a ticket for my mother in law cottage door being open a crack. They said it was a hazard for indigents to get in there. This occurred about six months after Katrina, and I had extensive home damage, including a downed 80" diameter oak tree that the crews couldn't load so they just left it.
    He said he was going to ticket me for an unkempt yard even though there was obvious progress in chipping away at the massive tree.

I told him I had a box of matches and ten gallons of roundup that needed to be used, and he left with a "just do the best you can, we're only trying to keep the city looking good."
  • RobHom User De... 2012/12/10 01:03:38
    RobHom
    +1
    Well, when you think about it....the question arises: Why would anyone with brains and drive take a low paying job with a government agency...especially a local one......
  • User De... RobHom 2012/12/10 01:13:34
    User Deactivated
    Good point.
  • Annie~P... User De... 2012/12/09 02:35:49
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +3
    Austin is definitely infested with Liberal democrats.
  • say what? 2012/12/09 01:35:01
    Comment as you wish.
    say what?
    +2
    For a state that supposedly supports freedom, Texans sure put up with a lot of crap.
  • User De... say what? 2012/12/09 02:02:59
    User Deactivated
    +5
    West Lake Hills is in the Democrat area of Texas. Just outside of Austin.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/12/09 01:32:41
    Comment as you wish.
    SK-pro impeachment
    +3
    He should take it to People's Court and Marilyn Millian. He would have a better chance of winning. I realize that can't happen in this case but i think she he would win in her court.
    Comment as you wish.
    +5
    Say WHAT????

When the trees are definitely DEAD ..
    they ARE a hazard ..
    not only with fires, but also windstorms ..
    I've removed plenty of dead trees from my property
    (including trees that were uprooted .. root ball and all -- after Major Hurricanes went through my area)

This is INSANE!

he's being responsible .. removing a danger along the roadways ..
    yet he's being FINED and Punished for removing dead trees?
    (and replanting in the process?)

So glad I don't have to deal with a City where I live ..
  • Annie~P... sglmom 2012/12/09 02:37:31
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +3
    That painful county is democrat run!

2014/10/23 05:17:23