Current European tax rates:

Autarchic 2011/02/03 13:50:24
Related Topics: VAT, Debt, Poverty, Sales Tax
United Kingdom
Income Tax: 50%
VAT: 17.5% TOTAL: 67.5%

France
Income Tax: 40%
VAT: 19.6% TOTAL: 59.6%

Greece
Income Tax: 40%
VAT : 25% TOTAL: 65%

Spain
Income Tax: 45%
VAT: 16% TOTAL: 61%

Portugal
Income Tax: 42%
VAT: 20% TOTAL: 62%

Sweden
Income Tax: 55%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 80%

Norway
Income Tax: 54.3%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 79.3%

Netherlands
Income Tax: 52%
VAT: 19% TOTAL: 71%

Denmark
Income Tax: 58%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 83%

Finland
Income Tax: 53%
VAT: 22% TOTAL: 75%

If you've started to wonder what the real costs of socialism are going to be, once the full program in these United States hits your wallet, take a look at the table. As you digest these mind-boggling figures, keep in mind that in spite of these astronomical tax rates, these countries are still not financing their social welfare programs exclusively from tax revenues! They are deeply mired in public debt of gargantuan proportions. Greece has reached the point where its debt is so huge it is in imminent danger of defaulting. That is the reason the European economic community has intervened to bail them out. If you're following the financial news, you know Spain and Portugal are right behind Greece ..

The United States is now heading right down the same path. The VAT tax in the table is the national sales tax that Europeans pay. Stay tuned because that is exactly what you can expect to see the administration proposing. The initial percentage in the United States isn't going to be anywhere near the outrageous numbers you now see in Europe . Guess what, the current outrageous numbers in Europe didn't start out as outrageous either. They started out as minuscule right around the 1% or 2% where they will start out in the United States .. Magically however, they ran up over the years to where they are now. Expect the same thing here.

It is the notion that with hard work and perseverance, anybody can get ahead economically here. Do you think that can ever happen with tax rates between 60% and 80%? Think again. With the government taking that percentage of your money, your life will be exactly like life in Europe .. You will never be able to buy a home. You will never buy a car. You will never send your children to college. Lets not shuffle the battle cry of the socialists under the rug either. Its always the same cry. Equalize income. Spread the wealth to the poor (whoever they are). Level the economic playing field. Accomplish that and everything will be rosy.

Its time to take a really hard look at reality. Greece is a perfect example. Despite the socialism system that has ruled this country for decades, with a 65% tax rate, they are drowning in public debt, would have defaulted without hundreds of billions in bailout money, and still. . ..20% of their population lives in poverty. What has all that socialism money bought, besides ultimate power for the politicians running the show? Do you think these people are "free"? They're not. They are slaves to their economic "system."

Instead of spreading the wealth around, spread this around. It might wake some people up.

• mrdog 2011/02/03 13:54:55
    mrdog
    +5
    Wonder if American voter actually understands what is posted...? It is disaster for America... will finished our wonderful country if voters let pols do the same...wake up...

bark

• uzurnoodle 2011/02/18 17:58:25
    uzurnoodle
    +1
    Socialism just CAN NOT WORK in a country the size of ours! The infrastructure can't handle it. When supply is shut down, everything else will follow.
    Please wake up America.
    I believe there are 3 simple steps to our recovery in this country: 1. Take control of our borders. 2. Start making things here. 3. Take responsibility for ourselves.
  • Autarchic uzurnoodle 2011/02/18 18:18:13
    Autarchic
    3. Should be first!
  • uzurnoodle Autarchic 2011/02/18 23:23:34
    uzurnoodle
    +1
    You are right! How about 3rd, but most important....
  • Autarchic uzurnoodle 2011/02/18 23:28:24
    Autarchic
    Exactly!
  • benson_bubbles 2011/02/17 21:03:54
    benson_bubbles
    +1
    ........
  • Autarchic benson_... 2011/02/17 21:12:55
    Autarchic
    +1
    ???????
  • Striker 2011/02/04 12:08:30
    Striker
    +1
    So, on average, about 2/3 of everything that everyone works for goes to governments, leaving you with only 1/3 remaining to take care of your life... shelter, food, transportation, utilities and fun. Obviously governments are having most of the fun. Gimme summa dat!
  • cinbadl 2011/02/03 17:42:38
  • amazinggrace 2011/02/03 16:55:42
    amazinggrace
    +1
    Socialism has always failed and it will fail in the U.S. God help us all.
  • Striker amazing... 2011/02/04 11:59:44
    Striker
    +2
    but but but... What if He doesn't?
  • I am me 2011/02/03 16:00:48
    I am me
    +1
    I get your point... really I do... and I don't agree with the higher taxations such that Europeans must deal with....

But let me tell you that the Europeans highly subsidize things like College... College tution in England was about $1000 a year (if I remember correctly... I just remember it being very very low compared to ours)... In the Netherlands, they pay mothers to stay home with their child(ren)... or at least they did in the late 80's, early 90's.... There a lot of people that use mass transit and may never (or hardly ever) need a car of their own anyway...

Now I'm not justifying their higher taxes or what they do... But they have much different social programs and subsidies than we do... and of course they are implimented differently...

I guess I'm just so tired of everyone comparing the US to Europe as if it were Apples to Apples... and this goes for the Progressives that want to live in an Americanized version of Europe, as well...
  • Purple ... I am me 2011/02/03 16:08:46
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    With all the safety nets and 'they pay yous' to do or not do such and such, comes a loss of personal freedom and a loss of the fruits of the individual's labor. There is an element of human nature that would love to be taken care of and not have to work hard for what we have, but the trade off is basically slavery. Simplistically explained, but I think you get my point.
  • I am me Purple ... 2011/02/03 16:15:32
    I am me
    +2
    I agree... that's why I made mention of not justifying their need to tax everyone to such a high degree... I was just pointing out the fallacy of the point of not being able to go to college and such.... If we were taxed this much here and didn't recieve these same subsidies then no we wouldn't be able to afford college or cars or houses... it's just a difference in the two systems...

However, I would rather have lower taxes, fewer subsidies and more freedom to do with my life what I wish to do.
  • Charles... I am me 2011/02/04 03:52:02
    Charles R. Anderson
    +1
    While college is highly subsidized, relatively few are selected to go to college. Also, a college education still does not allow the people of Spain, France, and the U.K. to find a job in many cases after they have graduated. The college education subsidy comes with the cost that relatively few get it and jobs afterward are harder to get.
  • 2010now I am me 2011/02/03 16:46:11
    2010now
    +1
    What good is subsidized college if there are no jobs when you graduate? The UK has third generations of people on the dole that have never worked. All of their socialist countries are failing - morally and economically.
  • ☆Hitler... I am me 2011/02/03 16:56:09
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +1
    they are apples and apples...its just that the American "apple" is still green
  • Mack 2011/02/03 15:14:57
    Mack
    +2
    When tax surpasses 50% and teeters over 83%, you have to wonder "How the hell did it get to this!?" Well, this is what happens when government has its claws over everything.
  • Purple ... Mack 2011/02/03 16:06:09
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    And how long can it be sustained until the minions revolt or just quit producing? I think we're witnessing that very process in Europe right now.
  • Mack Purple ... 2011/02/03 16:07:41
    Mack
    +2
    Yup, look at what happened to Greece. And keep in mind that Greece was one of the "low" ones!
  • Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA 2011/02/03 15:12:03 (edited)
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    That is only the Federal tax. I wonder if the EU also has state and local taxes like we do. I'm sure they probably do. Then there's:

FICA
    FUTA
    SUTA
    Annual auto registration
    Drivers license
    Professional licenses
    Annual corporate registration
    Filing fees
    Dog/cat licenses
    Transfer tax
    Universal service fund
    911 emergency service fund
    Local sales tax
    State sales tax
    All the other BS taxes tossed onto your phone bill
    Building permits
    Food sales permit
    Impact fees
    FEMA mandated flood insurance (OK if you live in a real flood prone area. I live in the desert and have to pay into their kitty)

And this is just a short list.

Earlier this week my old boss (also a real estate appraiser) shoots out an email to a few of us about the 3.8% transfer tax on real estate sales in the health care bill.

His liberal brother responds with the typical, '...but it is only going to affect those singles above $250,000 and $200,000 income, or couples above $500,000 and higher income. It won't affect that many people. Stop with your scare tactics!" This liberal brother is no dummy. He's a retired superintendant of the LA school systems and lives in a posh area near Camarillo, CA. Boat slip in his back yard, etc. He would be one of those affected, had he not retired.

Why don't ...

FICA
    FUTA
    SUTA
    Annual auto registration
    Drivers license
    Professional licenses
    Annual corporate registration
    Filing fees
    Dog/cat licenses
    Transfer tax
    Universal service fund
    911 emergency service fund
    Local sales tax
    State sales tax
    Building permits
    Food sales permit
    Impact fees

And this is just a short list.

Why don't they understand this 'get the foot in the door' process with these taxes? Social security was supposed to be voluntary and started out as 1% of the income. It was never meant to be part of the general slush fund initially or it never would have passed. These damned things all start out fairly harmless but they grow into full blown parasitic attacks.
  • Dan D 2011/02/03 14:33:27
    Dan D
    +1
    I don't think you can add the VAT to the income to get total taxed, because the VAT is a consumption tax.

But your point is still valid. Somehow the left thinks that taxing the private sector, pushing that money through an inefficient bureaucracy and spending it politically is better for the economy that leaving it in the economy in the first place.

Makes no sense.
  • oldsoldier 2011/02/03 14:27:27
    oldsoldier
    +1
    We can always look at Europe as a measure of what NOT to do (that includes the funny packs!) europe measure includes funny packs men funny pack The high tax rates is the reason why so many entertainers ,from the United Kingdom mainly,have rushed to obtain US citizenship while moving their income activities here.(movies,tv,radio,journal... That's also the reason why nowadays so many people on televisions carry that 'funny' British accent .
  • lauren dull 2011/02/03 13:57:55
    lauren dull
    +4
    I think this was he way the administration wanted to go but I think now most Americans look at Europe and say No Way!! I think Nov. has put the breaks on this idea .
  • randy lauren ... 2011/02/03 14:06:09
    randy
    +3
    Hope so.
  • lauren ... randy 2011/02/03 14:14:13
    lauren dull
    +2
    Me Too .
  • mrdog 2011/02/03 13:54:55
    mrdog
    +5

bark
  • lauren ... mrdog 2011/02/03 14:15:42
    lauren dull
    +3
    I also wonder what many Americans are thinking. Many have become Lazy and Stupid and are nothing but sheep. Stupid Sheep at that.
  • mrdog lauren ... 2011/02/03 14:34:51
    mrdog
    +2
    a few folks are waking up due to econ times... hope they stay awake... bark
  • Purple ... mrdog 2011/02/03 14:53:31
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I too wonder, dog. I get so furious when I run across some 'well traveled' liberal progressive on here that actually will tell us we're all too dumb to realize why democratic socialism isn't the best way to go. I've even had them hold up Denmark as an example when I begin to say, 'But what about the conditions in Europe?' Then they fire back with how evil capitalism is, how we Americans have brought the whole world down with us, blah blah blah.

Some of the posts and blogs that are made here need to be public service announcements. This blog qualifies!
  • mrdog Purple ... 2011/02/03 15:02:42
    mrdog
    +2
    As you know I have lived in europe for 11 years now... most here would like to have the same system we have in the usa...... liberals don't know it...or fail to acknowledge it...and how the taxes here are beyond reason for any American....it truly develops the so called Nanny State..... look at greece, spain...etc...huge problems... Poles love America...63% over any other country.... it is truly a joke for liberals to use Europe as an example what America could be.... we may have some problems today....but they are repairable...
    But not with our current leadership.... surely 2012 will bring in new rascals...bark
  • Purple ... mrdog 2011/02/03 15:32:03
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Thank you, dog!! A well traveled, and wise head!! I pray that the large majority of the voting population is as wise and our democracy still works. Somedays, I just don't know.
  • mrdog Purple ... 2011/02/03 15:42:06
    mrdog
    +1
    Makes one think we have lost our way....when radical like Obama can be elected our President..... I am not a Hillary supporter but she did warned us... bark

2014/11/24 19:20:11